PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about racer perception.

DR1665
13th May 2010, 17:16
Do race drivers or co-drivers or race organizers consider themselves automotive enthusiasts?

It's easy for me to consider myself an enthusiast, as I'm passionate about motorsport and slowly preparing my own car for competition, but I wonder if those on the other side of the coin - passionate about motorsport, but already having participated in competition - still identify with the term "automotive enthusiast."

Respectfully, I understand there's a difference, but I like to think the enthusiasm doesn't fade once you've "made it."

Appreciate the replies. I shall no resume my lurking and listening. :D

Easy Drifter
13th May 2010, 18:16
Well let's see.
I marshaled, raced, rallied, (FIA license) organized, Steward, tech inspector, mechanic, crew chief, team manager and finally retired from wrenching about 20 years ago.
Still spectate, participate in forums and write professionally (I get paid) on racing.
I guess I still have a smidgen of enthusiasm. :D

DR1665
13th May 2010, 18:30
Small world. Pretty sure I follow you guys on Twitter. :cool:

I like to think the enthusiasm remains (and appreciate your confirmation that it does, to whatever extent), but the question is do you consider yourself an automotive enthusiast?

An enthusiast might not identify with being a racer if he's never legitimately raced. Do legitimate racers and the sort still identify with the term "enthusiasts?"

Am I completely off base, here? Is there some term to which we could ALL subscribe? :idea:

Sonic
13th May 2010, 20:24
Why the need for the label?

Everyone involved in Motorsport has petrol in their veins and an internal combustion engine for a heart. From my POV I was as much a fan when I was active as I am now.

Bob Riebe
13th May 2010, 20:47
Do race drivers or co-drivers or race organizers consider themselves automotive enthusiasts?

One can be a racer and be an "automotive enthusast" whilst having his hobby endeavors totally unrelated to racing.

DR1665
13th May 2010, 21:39
Thanks for the insight.

Thing is, I'm getting ready to invest a considerable amount of time and energy into a global research project that I would eventually like to share with the world (read: give away, as in free), but I don't want anyone to come upon it and think it's of no interest to them because of its claim of being for racers vs enthusiasts. I'll be sharing my research along the way, wholly open to public comment, input, and direction, and I don't want anyone to come across this work in process and think to themselves, "I am not really a racer," or "I'm more than an enthusiast,"

What's the project? I'd like to speak to the organizers of every clubman level rally in the world about their events, to document the features of these events, and to create a centralized database wherein rallyists can compare and contrast events, get to know the organizers, and be directed straightaway to the events' websites.

This is gonna take a while. I don't want a casual enthusiast who might only need attend a local rally to convert him to rally competitor to skip over this stuff because he thinks it's tailored to proper competitors, however I don't want a competitor or organizer to think this is just kid stuff for teenagers who like Subarus.

Appreciate the continued insight.

14th May 2010, 05:57
Zstar Electronic Co.Ltd, Sell fire cards for DS/NDSL/NDSi, also have Wii, DSiLL, NDSi, NDSL, PSP2000, PSP3000, PS2, PS3, PSP go, PSP, Xbox360 accessories, all kinds of phones are available
http://www.zstar.hk
http://www.tigersupermall.com