PDA

View Full Version : Cypher group for f1 2011

jonny hurlock
12th May 2010, 21:40
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-news/234490/american-cypher-group-hoping-to-join-2011-grid/

steveaki13
12th May 2010, 23:08
I have a feeling we are about to go through USf1 all over again. :rolleyes:

Rodster
13th May 2010, 03:02
When they stressed they will be based in North Carolina and they are not made of ex USF1 employees. Me thinks Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor are behind this and the FIA will sense it as well. :P

jens
13th May 2010, 19:03
If Anderson & Co are not involved, it sounds like a project created by a few disappointed former USF1 employees, who still want to make it and this time without those distracting persons, believing that in this way reaching the grid is more achievable.

N. Jones
13th May 2010, 19:52
I thought USF1 was going to reapply, or was that more smoke and mirrors from Peter and Ken?

UltimateDanGTR
13th May 2010, 20:34
goodness me, why don't these two just give up?

anyway, I saw on another forum today (yep, the one you are thinking) that ART have applied for 2011-which is good news.

Sleeper
13th May 2010, 23:47
^Very good news, funnily enough the link for that story is at the bottem of the page for the Cypher BS (sorry, cant remotely see it happening).

Rodster
14th May 2010, 00:50
Personally the Cypher Group should have been a little smarter than to advertise they will be based in North Carolina. But what else can you expect from Windsor and Anderson.

shazbot
14th May 2010, 17:43
Errrr, it's nothing to do with Windsor and Anderson.

Dave B
8th July 2010, 14:39
Now it's official: they've submitted an entry for 2011 according to Autosport.

The American-based Cypher Group has submitted an official application to join the Formula 1 grid next year, after confirming a tie-up with driver Jonathan Summerton.

Cypher is believed to include former members of the failed Team US F1, who are adamant that the United States is able to produce a competitive grand prix outfit despite failing with the Charlotte-based operation.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85051

Now, no offence to Jonathan Summerton, but his CV hasn't exactly set the world alight has it? I understand the desire from a marketing point of view to have an American driver, but as Lotus have shown you really do need some experience in the cockpit when you're setting a team up - and please nobody suggest a hasbeen who won't have raced in F1 for half a decade by the time this team are up and running!

MrMetro
8th July 2010, 14:44
goodness me, why don't these two just give up?

anyway, I saw on another forum today (yep, the one you are thinking) that ART have applied for 2011-which is good news.

sorry, ART have withdrawn their application for 2011: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85047

UltimateDanGTR
8th July 2010, 15:29
^ I posted a similar story on another thread yesterday rooster, unfortunatly I know ^

as for Cypher, I hope they are serious about it, they will have to have got the budget in place now, instead of just going for it anyway with no money (like oh, USF1) although Im still sceptical about this.

as for summerton being linked with the team, i think they'd be better off with two experienced drivers next year (or at least one experienced driver and one rookie, someone like maldanado or perez) and then go for Alexander Rossi in 2012, If he has proved himself in GP3 and GP2 enough (which he is doing in the former quite well currently)

Retro Formula 1
8th July 2010, 16:14
Reading that story I heard the sound of Oxygen being wasted. In fact, I sat at my desk and could physically feel brain cells dying by the thousands the more I wasted seconds of my life reading that rubbish.

jens
9th July 2010, 20:01
Well, what is the argument that this team is going to have better finances, etc than the previous USF1 effort? I see that they are trying to seem more credible than USF1 by announcing one driver way earlier :D

Placid
20th July 2010, 05:00
I wonder if JR Hildeband can get into this mix. Hildebrand has only 2 races for this season. Mid Ohio and Sonoma.

Roamy
20th July 2010, 06:01
dream on

maximilian
21st July 2010, 12:55
With other applicants Villeneuve/Durango and Epsilon Euskadi, I really don't see a way these nobodies will get the nod, as much as I find the idea of "an American team running a 3rd Ferrari" interesting (as has been thrown around by Ferrari themselves - whether or not there is a connection here, I dunno)...

ShiftingGears
21st July 2010, 13:00
Errrr, it's nothing to do with Windsor and Anderson.

I bet they'll have to explain that to any potential sponsors :p :

Mr. Mister
21st July 2010, 17:56
I wonder if JR Hildeband can get into this mix. Hildebrand has only 2 races for this season. Mid Ohio and Sonoma.

Only if the team are complete idiots and have magical funding to not use pay drivers.

And they might maybe possibly have to kind of make the grid sort of vaguely I guess.

With other applicants Villeneuve/Durango and Epsilon Euskadi, I really don't see a way these nobodies will get the nod, as much as I find the idea of "an American team running a 3rd Ferrari" interesting (as has been thrown around by Ferrari themselves - whether or not there is a connection here, I dunno)...

Yeah...I think the "American Ferrari" has more to do with Parris Mullins/Chad Hurley trying to buy various teams than Cypher Group. Right now, all that's known of Cypher is that they're being run by Steve Brown (ex-US F1 and ex-Brawn R+D officer) and they're talking with Summerton (stupid move) and Piquet (I'm surprised Piquet doesn't have anything lined up in NASCAR; he's actually done rather well). Their "major global funding" and "technical partner" seem bogus to me until they prove it.

Personally, I think the Villeneuve team is most interesting, but any of the three are likely to be failures. The only one with actual facilities have never used those facilities to accomplish anything notable.

maximilian
31st July 2010, 06:30
Cypher have "withdrawn" their bid to enter in 2011. IF there ever really was one!!

Now THERE's a surprise :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tazio
31st July 2010, 08:57
Cypher have "withdrawn" their bid to enter in 2011. IF there ever really was one!!

Now THERE's a surprise :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And to think I may have never have heard of this Cypher Group if it hadn't been for this charade. :dozey:

maximilian
1st August 2010, 05:26
Bad idea anyways to name your team after a bad guy from the Matrix movie ... who gets killed :)

At least that's the first and only thing that came to my mind.