PDA

View Full Version : Who should be the new Labour party leader?

Brown, Jon Brow
10th May 2010, 22:47
Gordon Brown resigns today as the Labour party leader.

Alister Darling says he will not be standing for leadership so who do you think should take over?

I think David Miliband would make a good leader and a potentially good Prime Minister.

driveace
10th May 2010, 23:04
As long as he is not Scottish,then I dont care,the scottish I have worked with in Glasgow have NO Love for the English,and feel that the English have taken ALL their OIL revanue ,So Brown I dont think had a great love of the English ,especially the ladies of ROCHDALE!

Rollo
10th May 2010, 23:49
the scottish I have worked with in Glasgow have NO Love for the English,and feel that the English have taken ALL their OIL revanue

Most of the oil wells in the North Sea and off the Scottish coast are operated by ConocoPhillips which is Texan, Talisman Energy which is from Calgary and BHP which is Australian.

Do you work with ignorant people?

Macd
11th May 2010, 00:13

Or perhaps he is one? Generalising an entire country on a few people.

Brown, Jon Brow
11th May 2010, 00:18

Or perhaps he is one?

Going off his claims that the Conservatives have a majority, I think he is.

Rollo
11th May 2010, 01:38
Nominally the leader of the Labour Party should be the same as the leader of the party in the Commons, but that's Harriet Harman who is by all accounts a flip-flopper.

I suppose that the most qualified person after Brown and Darling would be Jack Straw, but somehow I just don't see him becoming leader of the Party if it only expects to last a few months.

Can you really see anyone apart from Nick Clegg putting up their hand to be leader of a "rainbow coalition" though? You might as well make Janet Royall the Prime Minister and run it from the House of Lords on a temporary basis.

Mark
11th May 2010, 08:55
David Miliband would be my choice too.
The problem with Gordon Brown is that he doesn't have the charisma you need to be a Prime Minister in modern times. Tony Blair was the first to have it, and I dare say Nick Clegg and (shudder) David Cameron has it too, but Brown just hasn't.

I think Miliband comes across well and in this age of your personality being just as important as policy, that will be a big asset to the Labour party.

Cooper_S
11th May 2010, 18:29
Jon Cruddas could be a good unifier for the Labour Party. does not carry as much baggage as some of the other prime candidates.

Captain VXR
11th May 2010, 22:12
Anyone but Harriet Harman

Cooper_S
11th May 2010, 22:14

be careful for what you wish for...

Rollo
12th May 2010, 01:05
Now that it's been firmly established that the Labour Party will be Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, who even wants to be leader right now?

Being a first year leader of the Opposition in any Westminster system is basically an invitation to get your head kicked in. Having just been turned out of office, you then stare down the long corridor of obscurity until before the next election cycle begins.

Statistically leaders of the Opposition in any Westminster system last about 11 months on average.

Mark
12th May 2010, 08:26
Now that it's been firmly established that the Labour Party will be Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, who even wants to be leader right now?

Being a first year leader of the Opposition in any Westminster system is basically an invitation to get your head kicked in. Having just been turned out of office, you then stare down the long corridor of obscurity until before the next election cycle begins.

Statistically leaders of the Opposition in any Westminster system last about 11 months on average.

Well I wouldn't say the Labour party of today is in quite the disarray that the tories were in 1997. After all in this election Labour were narrowly defeated, in 1997 the Conservatives were buried under a land slide!

I think in this parliament the leader of the oppositions job will be an easy one, with all the cuts coming, finding ways to attack the government won't be hard, and they'll be trying their best to unpick the Con-Lib alliance.

The main fear is that Miliband is just another one of the boys, and won't shake up Labour the way Cameron :vader: did with the Conservative party.

Sonic
12th May 2010, 17:58

Your wish is granted. She's ruled herself out.

Captain VXR
13th May 2010, 19:14
Your wish is granted. She's ruled herself out.

Good.

14th May 2010, 05:58
Zstar Electronic Co.Ltd, Sell fire cards for DS/NDSL/NDSi, also have Wii, DSiLL, NDSi, NDSL, PSP2000, PSP3000, PS2, PS3, PSP go, PSP, Xbox360 accessories, all kinds of phones are available
http://www.zstar.hk
http://www.tigersupermall.com