PDA

View Full Version : FIFA World Cup 2010...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

pino
10th May 2010, 17:56
Only 1 month left so it's time to start this :p :

So who will win the title ? I say Spain or Argentina, and (due to Lippi's stupidity) I only predict a 5/6th place for Italy :(

Official link : http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/index.html

ps: a poll will be added soon ;)

pino
10th May 2010, 18:04
Italy's provisional squad :

Keepers : Buffon, De Sanctis, Marchetti, Sirigu

Defenders: Bocchetti, Bonucci, Cannavaro F., Cassani, Chiellini, Criscito, Grosso, Maggio, Zambrotta

Midfielders: Camoranesi, Candreva, Cossu, De Rossi, Gattuso, Marchisio, Montolivo, Palombo, Pepe, Pirlo

Strikers: Borriello, Di Natale, Gilardino, Iaquinta, G.Rossi, Pazzini, Quagliarella.

pino
10th May 2010, 18:06
Spain's provisional squad :

Keepers : Iker Casillas Fernández, David De Gea Quintana, Diego López Rodríguez, José Manuel Reina Páez, Víctor Valdés Arribas

Defenders : Raúl Albiol Tortajada, Alvaro Arbeloa Coca, César Azpilicueta Tanco, Joan Capdevila Méndez, Carlos Marchena López, Gerard Pique Bernabéu, Carles Puyol Saforcada, Sergio Ramos García

Midfielders : Xabier Alonso Olano, Sergio Busquets Burgos, Francesc “Cesc” Fabregas, Soler Andrés Iniesta, Lujan Javier Martínez Aguinaga, Marcos Antonio Senna, Da Silva David Jiménez, Silva Xavier, Hernández Creus

Strikers : Santiago Cazorla González, Jesús Navas González, Juan Manuel Mata García, Pedro Rodríguez Ledesma, Daniel González Güiza, Fernando Llorente Torres, Alvaro Negredo Sánchez, Fernando Torres Sanz, David Villa Sánchez

anthonyvop
10th May 2010, 18:29
A group of Mediocre US athletes have qualified again for the "World Cup" Whoooo Hooooo.

GridGirl
10th May 2010, 19:48
I won't mind that USA are mediocre or not just as long as England beat them. :p

Josti
10th May 2010, 20:28
So who will win the title ? I say Spain or Argentina, and (due to Lippi's stupidity) I only predict a 5/6th place for Italy :(

Spain, good chance, Argentina, no chance. They had such a bad run in qualifiying, only narrowly making the cut. Maradona is not the coach that can lead them to the title, nor is Messi the deciding player we know from Barcelona.

pino
10th May 2010, 20:45
I won't mind that USA are mediocre or not just as long as England beat them. :p

They are not mediocre and England better take them seriously, but knowing Capello, you should be safe ;)

pino
10th May 2010, 20:48
Spain, good chance, Argentina, no chance. They had such a bad run in qualifiying, only narrowly making the cut. Maradona is not the coach that can lead them to the title, nor is Messi the deciding player we know from Barcelona.

I agree they had big problems in Qualy and that was Maradona's fault, but they've got a great squad and I am sure they will reach at least the semifinals.

edv
10th May 2010, 21:11
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/edvedv/crap/groups.jpg

I'll be supporting NED in GROUP E

Eki
10th May 2010, 21:25
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/edvedv/crap/groups.jpg

I'll be supporting NED in GROUP E
OK. I'll take the opposite. I'll be supporting DEN in GROUP E.

Brown, Jon Brow
10th May 2010, 22:28
The ultimate sporting competition. May the best team win. It will probably be Spain.

race_director
10th May 2010, 22:55
i will miss Russia. arshavin for sure. But will support Germany and Italy

MrJan
10th May 2010, 23:04
Can't see Argentina winning it, they barely scraped through the qualifiers. I will be supporting England, it will be horrible.

Rollo
11th May 2010, 00:14
England all the way to the Quarter Finals, just like Tim Henman :D

It will be "the best chance since 1966" and "I think we can go all the way this time"... before a dodgy penalty in the 86th minute against anyone, for something which isn't real spoils it all.

dunes
11th May 2010, 01:33
A group of Mediocre US athletes have qualified again for the "World Cup" Whoooo Hooooo.

We may be mediocer at your football but I don't see any of your country playing in our sports. At least we show and put up a fight.

pino
11th May 2010, 06:46
Poll added, and sorry if not all squad are in it, but we only have 25 options. Not that these squad have big chances to win anyway but some of them, could reach 1/4 finals. I am talking about : Switzerland, Japan, Chile, and the 2 Korea.

pino
11th May 2010, 06:48
Portugal's provisional squad:

Goalkeepers: Beto (Porto), Daniel Fernandes (Iraklis), Eduardo (Braga).

Defenders: Fabio Coentrao (Benfica), Paulo Ferreira (Chelsea), Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea), Ze Castro (Deportivo La Coruna), Bruno Alves (Porto), Rolando (Porto), Ricardo Costa (Lille), Duda (Malaga), Pepe (Real Madrid), Miguel (Valencia).

Midfielders: Tiago (Atletico Madrid), Deco (Chelsea), Raul Meireles (Porto), Nani (Manchester United), Miguel Veloso (Sporting Lisbon), Pedro Mendes (Sporting Lisbon).

Forwards: Simao Sabrosa (Atletico Madrid), Hugo Almeida (Werder Bremen), Liedson (Sporting Lisbon), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Danny (Zenit St Petersburg).

pino
11th May 2010, 06:51
Here's the squad I will support along Italy offcourse :

Denmark's provisional FIFA World Cup:

Jesper Christiansen (FC Copenhagen), Kim Christensen (IFK Gothenburg), Stephan Andersen (Brondby), Thomas Sorensen (Stoke City); Daniel Agger (Liverpool), Lars Jacobsen (Blackburn), Patrick Mtiliga (Malaga), Per Kroldrup (Fiorentina), Simon Busk Poulsen (AZ Alkmaar), Simon Kjaer (Palermo), William Kvist (FC Copenhagen); Christian Poulsen (Juventus), Christian Eriksen (Ajax), Daniel Jensen (Werder Bremen), Jakob Poulsen (AGF Aarhus), Michael Silberbauer (FC Utrecht), Mikkel Beckmann (Randers), Thomas Enevoldsen (FC Groningen), Thomas Kahlenberg (Wolfsburg), Dennis Rommedahl (Ajax), Jesper Gronkjaer (FC Copenhagen), Jon Dahl Tomasson (Feyenoord), Martin Jorgensen (AGF Aarhus); Michael Krohn-Dehli (Brondby), Nicklas Bendtner (Arsenal), Soren Larsen (Duisburg)

MrJan
11th May 2010, 11:25
We may be mediocer at your football but I don't see any of your country playing in our sports. At least we show and put up a fight.

I thought anthonyvop was from the US :confused: You've basically just ripped on one of your own :D

I see in the paper this morning that Capello is intending to take Owen Hargreaves (who has played about 1 minute in 18 months) over Joe Cole (who is actually good). Surely Pino can't defend that move.......can he?

Storm
11th May 2010, 11:30
Spain has by far the most talented and well-gelled group who play beautiful football but its by no means a walk-over as they have plenty of injuries.
Xavi is playing through one so that Barca can win the title and if he is out, Spain doesn't look as intimidating in mid-field (Fabregas is not yet in the same league IMO) and Iniesta is crucial too. Villa will bang them in (and Torres will score the really crucial goals if he gets fit again) and they have good strength on the bench too. Del Bosque is a smart coach but I feel being favourites may not suit Spain. Still I hope Spain, Argentina (for sentimental reasons with Maradona as coach ) or Italy (my other sentimental pick - as the first team I really supported back in Italia '90) win it.

Capello again is a coach I do not like but admit is very good, so I can see England doing okay although I hope they do not win it. (even though they have a relatively easy path to the later stages)

Josti, How about the Dutch squad? And I know Argentina has played very badly but do not count them if they get out of their group. Brazil were horrible in 2002 in qualifying and still won the cup in the end. They will again be very strong and equally boring to watch I guess like the Scolari team.

edit: Jan Yeo : although it appears a weird move I can see the logic in that from Capello. Barry seems to be injured so there is no cover in the defensive midfield (Lampard can't do sh*t there, neither can Gerrard) hence the Hargreaves gamble (who even if rusty has WC experience which counts!). While in Cole's case, he has plenty of wingers available and J. Cole hasn't really been in that great a form as Ancellotti rarely started him.

MrJan
11th May 2010, 12:51
edit: Jan Yeo : although it appears a weird move I can see the logic in that from Capello. Barry seems to be injured so there is no cover in the defensive midfield (Lampard can't do sh*t there, neither can Gerrard) hence the Hargreaves gamble (who even if rusty has WC experience which counts!). While in Cole's case, he has plenty of wingers available and J. Cole hasn't really been in that great a form as Ancellotti rarely started him.

But with Barry gone we have even less players who can happily play on the left side of midfield. We know from the last WC that Cole can fill that role well. Additionally he might lack form but it's better than anything Hargreaves has done this season, he probably can't remember what a ball looks like! IMO he would be better off dropping other players to bring Hargreaves in for midfield cover, Cole could be a very important asset to the team.

pino
11th May 2010, 13:59
Stupid Lippi's just changed his squad : out defender Legrottaglie, and in offensive midfield G. Rossi ( Villareal) Also the whole Italy are still asking him why not Cassano, or Miccoli, or even the very experienced Ambrosini from Milan, and why are Cannavaro, Grosso, Zambrotta and Gattuso still in the squad... :crazy:

pino
11th May 2010, 14:36
England's 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals:

Keepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (England), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Scott Parker (West Ham), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City).

Strikers: Darren Bent (Sunderland), Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

Brown, Jon Brow
11th May 2010, 15:11
England should take Bobby Zamora. He has been in inspired form for Fulham this year. He's strong and has pace too.

Brown, Jon Brow
11th May 2010, 15:13

Why do you put World cup in "-". The FIFA World Cup is the only major single sporting event that can claim to be a true world cup.

MrJan
11th May 2010, 15:17
Steven Warnock???........................................ STEVEN WARNOCK????....................................... ...................STEVEN BLOODY WARNOCK!!!?????

:D

edv
11th May 2010, 15:39
I see in the paper this morning that Capello is intending to take Owen Hargreaves (who has played about 1 minute in 18 months) over Joe Cole (who is actually good). Surely Pino can't defend that move.......can he?

HEY Mr Jan...don't go slagging the only Canadian hope in this tournament! We didn't make the cut, so give us just a little something to cheer for, eh?

Brown, Jon Brow
11th May 2010, 15:51
HEY Mr Jan...don't go slagging the only Canadian hope in this tournament! We didn't make the cut, so give us just a little something to cheer for, eh?

If Owen Hargreaves was fit then he would be a great asset to England. But he simply would be a fitness risk this time.

He was unpopular with the English fans before the last World Cup due to him playing in Germany and because he was born in Canada. But his impressive performances and determination (especially after Rooney was sent-off against Portugal) won over the English fans.

pino
11th May 2010, 16:31

I'am already worried and mad at Lippi for his choices so I've no time for England sorry :p : btw Hargreaves isn't in the squad so once again Capello is right ;)

Josti
11th May 2010, 17:19
Josti, How about the Dutch squad?

We're outsiders I guess. We have a decend squad, albeit a bit unbalanced when you compare the stars in the front (Robben, Sneijder, Van Persie, Vd Vaart) with the rest of the line-up. Our defence may be the weakest link. Still, hopes are pretty high overhere, but I guess we're one of many who thinks their team can win it. We're eager at least, Euro 2008 showed a lot of promise, only it lacked consistency.

To me, the favourites are Spain, Brazil, England, Italy and Germany. Argentina is at least an outsider, but with Maradona, I just can't see them as favourites. I'm still stunned that, with his shabby history outside of football (let alone his personality), he's the representitive of such a big football country. A pretty irresponsible decision of the Argentinien football organization if you ask me. I do look forward to his wacky antics though.

anthonyvop
11th May 2010, 18:53
I thought anthonyvop was from the US :confused: You've basically just ripped on one of your own :D

Actually the opposite.

For most of the countries in the World Cup Soccer is the most popular sport and it attacks their best athletes.

In the US Soccer is a niche sport at best and our best athletes go to other sports such as Football, Baseball and Basketball.

So basically The US's lower tiered athletes are competitive against the World's best

Firstgear
11th May 2010, 19:17
Actually the opposite.

For most of the countries in the World Cup Soccer is the most popular sport and it attacks their best athletes.

In the US Soccer is a niche sport at best and our best athletes go to other sports such as Football, Baseball and Basketball.

So basically The US's lower tiered athletes are competitive against the World's best

Exactly. Imagine if you took the athletes that dominate in US football, Baseball and Basketball and let them at it in the World Cup.

I'd love to see it. Guys like Shaq & William 'the refrigerator' Perry trying to run the length of the field for 90 mins. :p :

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2010, 20:26
Exactly. Imagine if you took the athletes that dominate in US football, Baseball and Basketball and let them at it in the World Cup.

I'd love to see it. Guys like Shaq & William 'the refrigerator' Perry trying to run the length of the field for 90 mins. :p :

That might not be wise...but tell me somebody like a Jerry Rice wouldn't be a good soccer player? How about Kobe Bryant? You going to tell me either wouldn't be capable of running up and down a soccer field? How about the late Walter Payton? He used to work out by running up sand dunes with weights on his shoulders....

America's best athletes have so many choices for sports, and the best paying options usually are on the court, the NFL field or in the diamond. Some migrate to hockey in the north.

Soccer isn't a big deal in North America because North America was founded on the principle of rejecting some of the past games and cultural touchstones from the old country.

AS for my pick, I am taking Brazil.....they are due....not that I really care...lol...

MrJan
11th May 2010, 21:30
That might not be wise...but tell me somebody like a Jerry Rice wouldn't be a good soccer player? How about Kobe Bryant? You going to tell me either wouldn't be capable of running up and down a soccer field? How about the late Walter Payton? He used to work out by running up sand dunes with weights on his shoulders....

Capable of running up and down a soccer field? Are you intentionally trying to wind me up or are you just being stupid? :p : :D

This is a strange attitude to have. You aren't good at football because you can run fast or have good fitness. It's about skill, ball control and awareness. It's not like Cool Runnings where you can take a sprinter and make them into a football player.

Wayne Rooney isn't a particularly great athlete but he's a f***ing superb football player. If you don't have a good touch or aren't aware of what is going on around you then it doesn't matter how fast you run, how much you can bench press or how big your dick is, without the talent of kicking a ball or knowing the game, you are nothing.

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2010, 21:35
Capable of running up and down a soccer field? Are you intentionally trying to wind me up or are you just being stupid? :p : :D

This is a strange attitude to have. You aren't good at football because you can run fast or have good fitness. It's about skill, ball control and awareness. It's not like Cool Runnings where you can take a sprinter and make them into a football player.

Wayne Rooney isn't a particularly great athlete but he's a f***ing superb football player. If you don't have a good touch or aren't aware of what is going on around you then it doesn't matter how fast you run, how much you can bench press or how big your dick is, without the talent of kicking a ball or knowing the game, you are nothing.

Jan..don't get me wrong. I watch enough football to know that it is all about touch and awareness and all of that. I was merely replying to the idiocy of people laughing at the idea of William Perry or Shaquille O'Neal running on a pitch.

It is a great game with great skill. I get that, but if you take people who are great athletes, great runners and talented people, and give them the chance to play football at a young age, and they are not distracted by the option of basketball, American Football and baseball, then chances are the USA soccer team is a damn sight better.

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2010, 21:38
In otherwards Jan, the reason the North American Soccer sides are not better, is because many of our best athletes have many choices, and playing "football" (as opposed to what we call it) falls to a 3rd and fourth choice. One only has to read about the development of Steve Nash, NBA MVP. He is a superb basketball player, and he went to it because playing soccer in North America didn't seem like much of an option as a teen, but he knew he could get a scholorship in a US college and maybe make the NBA. His first love, and he still says this is Soccer.

Just like many top Canadian athletes all play other sports but Hockey would have been their first choice.

IN Europe, and in South America, Soccer is the first choice. Over here....it isn't often...

MrJan
11th May 2010, 22:41
Our other athletes have options though, it all depends on what the person wants and, to some degrees, physique. Do you want to walk up to Martin Johnson or David Haye and tell them that they only do their sport because they were rubbish at football?

I'm not saying that the sport doesn't suffer at the hands of more popular sports in the US. Here in the UK hockey has marginal appeal. I went to an Elite League game (while the NHL was on strike so we had a few fringe players over here) and there were less people there than my 5th tier football team had watching them at the time. Football is massively more popular but I still wouldn't say that the hockey players are lesser athletes. In truth they do not stack up against players from other nations because hockey in our country doesn't have the grassroots-up structure.

Without the top class coaches and starting kids early we will never catch up. Soccer in the US is similar, although the kids start young the country just doesn't have the same levels of coaching and concentration as we do over here. IMO the players are not lesser athletes, they just haven't been force fed the training that they would get doing other sports.

Also do you not have the thing where someone simply can't grasp the technique of onr sport. E.G other here I doubt that Andy Murray would be much cop at football or rugby (mainly because he's Scottish) but he isn't bad at tennis.

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2010, 22:48
Our other athletes have options though, it all depends on what the person wants and, to some degrees, physique. Do you want to walk up to Martin Johnson or David Haye and tell them that they only do their sport because they were rubbish at football?

I'm not saying that the sport doesn't suffer at the hands of more popular sports in the US. Here in the UK hockey has marginal appeal. I went to an Elite League game (while the NHL was on strike so we had a few fringe players over here) and there were less people there than my 5th tier football team had watching them at the time. Football is massively more popular but I still wouldn't say that the hockey players are lesser athletes. In truth they do not stack up against players from other nations because hockey in our country doesn't have the grassroots-up structure.

Without the top class coaches and starting kids early we will never catch up. Soccer in the US is similar, although the kids start young the country just doesn't have the same levels of coaching and concentration as we do over here. IMO the players are not lesser athletes, they just haven't been force fed the training that they would get doing other sports.

Also do you not have the thing where someone simply can't grasp the technique of onr sport. E.G other here I doubt that Andy Murray would be much cop at football or rugby (mainly because he's Scottish) but he isn't bad at tennis.

What I am telling you that kids at a very early age can develop the skills they need in a sport. Kids who are very athletic will play often 3 or 4 sports really well, and later migrate to one sport. I think in the UK, you can play rugby, football, cricket or tennis, but what is the major sport? Football. Far and away. In Canada, it is hockey. We have great athletes on occasion out of other sports, but we develop hockey players. It is a culture in any nation where ONE sport is WAY more popular than the others. In Canada, that is hockey. But if kids in Canada didn't have hockey as an option, you think they wouldn 't adapt to other sports? In most of the world, it is Soccer/football that rules the youth's interest in sport. In the USA? I have news for you Jan, there are 3 sports, and hockey is almost a fourth where the USA develops top class athletes. There lots of really good options for a great athletes, and many you will find have sports in which they didn't pursue where they were almost as good.

I am sure if you took the number of kids under the age of 10, and not given them any other sports really to look to in the USA, you would eventually develop one hell of a soccer team. World class in fact. The reality of it is the world's sport may be football, but in North America, it is a sideline sport that is slowly becoming more popular as an option for people to play as a profession. The USA hasn't missed a World Cup for quite some time now.....so I would hardly say they suck. You better Rue the day they really take this sport seriously because they will be right there with the top 5 nations on earth in EVERY world cup if they did...

MrJan
11th May 2010, 23:12
What I am saying though is that just because some kids show an apptitude for and concentrate on one sport doesn't make the kids who do the other sports lesser athletes. I'm not denying that it's a more popular option but I just can't agree that Andy Murray or Joe Calzaghe (okay so he's Welsh) or Mark Cavandish or Johnny Wilkinson or Jenson Button are lesser athletes.

Would you say that Lance Armstrong is a mediocre athlete? He doesn't play football and by anthony's logic that means that he can't be as good an athelete as Tom Brady. Doing a less popular sport doesn't make someone a mediocre athlete, it makes them a different type of athlete.

And of course the US will be in the top 5 if they try, they're one of the most populated and richest countries on the planet. If you train enough people then you'll find some who stand out. I have never, at any point, said (seriously) that they suck. I believe that England could quite easily slip up against them in June. Anthony was the one who said that they were mediocre athletes, then Swoop had a dig at him and I pointed out that he was just having a go at a fellow American.

I haven't, at any point in this thread, slated the US football team. In fact I'm defending them as proper athletes while their own countrymen have a go at them.

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2010, 23:20
What I am saying though is that just because some kids show an apptitude for and concentrate on one sport doesn't make the kids who do the other sports lesser athletes. I'm not denying that it's a more popular option but I just can't agree that Andy Murray or Joe Calzaghe (okay so he's Welsh) or Mark Cavandish or Johnny Wilkinson or Jenson Button are lesser athletes.

Would you say that Lance Armstrong is a mediocre athlete? He doesn't play football and by anthony's logic that means that he can't be as good an athelete as Tom Brady. Doing a less popular sport doesn't make someone a mediocre athlete, it makes them a different type of athlete.

And of course the US will be in the top 5 if they try, they're one of the most populated and richest countries on the planet. If you train enough people then you'll find some who stand out. I have never, at any point, said (seriously) that they suck. I believe that England could quite easily slip up against them in June. Anthony was the one who said that they were mediocre athletes, then Swoop had a dig at him and I pointed out that he was just having a go at a fellow American.

I haven't, at any point in this thread, slated the US football team. In fact I'm defending them as proper athletes while their own countrymen have a go at them.

No Jan, You misunderstand me. I know you are not slighting anyone. Your pointing out that just because an athlete is good at one sport, what makes me think they might be better at another?

The reality is, there could be a world class footballer who never got the opportunity or had the cultural influence to playing wide receiver for some minor pro American Football league team. You give athletes more attractive choices, they may never develop some inert ability to be a great anything.

No...I was just referring earlier to a post some one made making fun of the idea of a Shaquille O' Neal playing football. It would be a sad and pathetic spectacle...but there is a certain level of athletism all great athletes have...and they can often adapt to other sports. If exposed early enough, who is to say?

I have great respect for the likes of Wayne Rooney, or Kaka, or Thierry Henry....they are wonderful athletes. That said, they come from cultures where playing football is the ultimate goal. Who is to say if their parents had emigrated to Suburban Dallas that they wouldn't be playing wide receiver in the NFL? When you are given options as an athlete, sometimes you take another route. Like Steve Nash did....I can tell you I wish he was leading a Canadian Team in the World Cup....but alas he turned out to be an even better basketball player...

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2010, 23:21
As for Tony's logic Jan, well, he doesn't see anything as happening in the USA as unimportant, and anything happening overseas as important at all. Take it with a grain of salt...

gloomyDAY
12th May 2010, 00:37
Rooting for Mexico, but seeing as how they played against Senegal, they're not going too far in this World Cup.

Best of luck to all.

Actually the opposite.

So basically The US's lower tiered athletes are competitive against the World's bestGosh! You obviously don't know what you're talking about Tony.

I really can't see Chad 8-5 running around for almost two hours and being able to have the endurance to hang with football's most elite. I love American football (saw my first Bengal's game last season), but you're comparing apples and oranges.

Also, if you're just going to troll, maybe it would be a better idea to leave this thread before you get slapped with the ban stick.

Rollo
12th May 2010, 00:57
but you're comparing apples and oranges.

I think that it's a safe bet that the Netherlands would beat New York, even without Van Nistelrooy in this year's 30 man provisional squad.
(Actually I think that New York would struggle against Blackpool for that matter. Blackpool could be in the Premier League next year).

See? You can compare Apples and Oranges and even Tangerines :D

Mark in Oshawa
12th May 2010, 05:09
Rooting for Mexico, but seeing as how they played against Senegal, they're not going too far in this World Cup.

Best of luck to all.

Gosh! You obviously don't know what you're talking about Tony.

I really can't see Chad 8-5 running around for almost two hours and being able to have the endurance to hang with football's most elite. I love American football (saw my first Bengal's game last season), but you're comparing apples and oranges.

Also, if you're just going to troll, maybe it would be a better idea to leave this thread before you get slapped with the ban stick.

You think ole Ochocinqo couldn't run for 90 minutes? You see the guy? No fat on him. I suspect he is quite capable of running on a soccer pitch for 90 minutes. An athlete is an athlete as far as conditioning is concerned. He may not have any skill, but I don't see Wayne Rooney making an NFL squad either...

pino
12th May 2010, 06:05
Guys...this thread is about World Cup 2010 only, thank you :)

pino
12th May 2010, 06:45
Argentina's provisional squad :

Agüero, Sebastián Blanco, Andújar, Bolatti, Burdisso, Coloccini, Dátolo, Demichelis, Di María, Garcé, Jonás Gutiérrez, Heinze, Higuaín, Insaurralde, Lavezzi, Mascherano, Mercier, Messi, Diego Milito, Otamendi, Palermo, Pastore, Pozo, Clemente, Maxi Rodríguez, Romero, Samuel, Sosa, Tevez y Verón.

No Zanetti, Cambiasso (both crucial players for Inter and in great form) and Gago...Maradona is crazy :p :

Rollo
12th May 2010, 06:49
Does anyone know what happened to Charlie Davies? He was involved in a car accident, and reports had him last week as training really hard to fight his way into the US "Soccer" team.

If he does get in, it will be the greatest fairy tale thus far of the 2010 World Cup.

Storm
12th May 2010, 11:18
Gago is useless anyways but Zanetti and Cambiasso should have been there.
If Lippi can take Cannavaro on crutches then? ;)

pino
12th May 2010, 11:36
Gago is useless anyways but Zanetti and Cambiasso should have been there.
If Lippi can take Cannavaro on crutches then? ;)

I don't know who's the most crazy between Maradona, Lippi, and Domenech (who left Benzema, Frey, Mexes, and Nasri out) :eek: :crazy:

Storm
12th May 2010, 12:48
Domenech wins - he is a class A idiot. how the hell did he stay as manager so long?
Lippi is the defending WC winning coach and Maradona is well.. Maradona.
Domenech has done nothing with such a group of players.

Josti
12th May 2010, 16:05
Domenech should have left after Euro 2008.

I always think that Wenger would be perfect for the French national team, but I guess it's unthinkable to seem him leave Arsenal.

Donney
12th May 2010, 19:30
I will say, as I did with the Euro cup, (in the hope that I'm wrong again :D ) that Spain won't reach the semis.

pino
13th May 2010, 05:41
I will say, as I did with the Euro cup, (in the hope that I'm wrong again :D ) that Spain won't reach the semis.

You will be wrong again, Spain will probably win the title this time, they are just too strong for any other Team to beat them (in the hope that I am wrong) :p :

Rollo
13th May 2010, 06:04
I don't see Spain as having much of a realistic tilt, simply because they have three key injuries: Cesc Fabregas, Fernando Torres and Andres Iniesta.

Victor Valdes and David De Gea as far as I know have never been capped before, which is going to be daunting considering that to be a goalkeeper infers a little more responsibility than any other position on the park.

Is Del Bosque perhaps playing it a little too optimistic? Me thinks yea.

Storm
13th May 2010, 07:03
Injuries to Xavi and Marcos Senna are probably even more important than those you have put above Rollo. They form one of the if not the best central mid-field in the world along with Iniesta.

Even if Valdes gets picked in the final 23, he will be 3rd choice as he has never ever been capped before. He was a bit unconvincing in the past but in the last 2/3 seasons he has been amazing with Barca. Totally deserves the call up. I know he hasn't had any international experience but he has played 2 CL finals so he knows how to handle pressure.

Casillas does extremely well in any case in national colours and Reina is a great shot-stopper too.

14th May 2010, 06:03
Zstar Electronic Co.Ltd, Sell fire cards for DS/NDSL/NDSi, also have Wii, DSiLL, NDSi, NDSL, PSP2000, PSP3000, PS2, PS3, PSP go, PSP, Xbox360 accessories, all kinds of phones are available
http://www.zstar.hk
http://www.tigersupermall.com

pino
17th May 2010, 17:44
Ballack out of World Cup after a challenge by Portsmouth's Boateng :s

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8684774.stm

Rollo
17th May 2010, 21:14
Rooting for Mexico

You're a bit keen aren't you? :D Cheeky little devil ;)

jso1985
18th May 2010, 03:19
To me it will be either Spain or Brazil, with that feeling Netherlands might give us a surprise win.

As for Argentina, I do hope they DO NOT win it I live too close to them to stand the extreme big fuss it would be if their "god" leads them to another WC win! oh dear he would be declared president for life...

pino
18th May 2010, 07:53
Russia and Spain accused of "bribary" :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8688388.stm

I don't believe this at all but if it's true, it would be stupid because Spain don't need to buy referee, they just have to play as they can and will easily win...and I mean it ;)

pino
18th May 2010, 11:21
Stupid Lippi to announce final 23 players today...can't wait to find out who stays home :rolleyes:

MrJan
18th May 2010, 12:17
Russia and Spain accused of "bribary" :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8688388.stm

I don't believe this at all but if it's true, it would be stupid because Spain don't need to buy referee, they just have to play as they can and will easily win...and I mean it ;)

The man has managed to single handedly ground England's WC2018 plans, pretty much before they were released.

Brown, Jon Brow
18th May 2010, 12:49
The man has managed to single handedly ground England's WC2018 plans, pretty much before they were released.

I blame the press.

It wouldn't suprise me if they find out something Rooney has said so they can ruin our chances. :mad:

MrJan
18th May 2010, 13:08
I blame the press.

Yeah the press were stupid, shouting from the rooftops that he'd said it and then complaining that it ruined the bid chance. However he shouldn't have said it in the first place, the press shouldn't have been able to report it.

Storm
21st May 2010, 08:47
Spain's squad announced - Marcos Senna is out (not match-fit). Victor Valdes gets his chance finally :up: as does Pedro after a superb season.Lots and lots of Barca players. My only problem is that they seem to have only 3 proper CFs and they play a 4-4-2 most of the time. Unless they play a 4-3-3 like Barcelona, this may be a problem if Torres isn't fit enough to start the first game. Lots of exciting players on the wing - Pedro, Mata, Navas.

Another problem could be the defensive mid-fielder, Busquets being the only real one in the 23, what happens if he is injured? I don't trust him too much in the Barca squad either (he falls too often for his role and play acts too unlike guys like Toure or Mascherano)

Italy at 28 now and pino may not be happy, Grosso is out of the squad too.
Why is Camoranesi still in the team? That midfield doesn't look too great though, luckily Ambrosini is gone. (What happened to the Giovinco guy pino?)

MrJan
21st May 2010, 08:49
3 weeks :bounce: :bounce:

pino
21st May 2010, 10:32
Italy at 28 now and pino may not be happy, Grosso is out of the squad too.
Why is Camoranesi still in the team? That midfield doesn't look too great though, luckily Ambrosini is gone. (What happened to the Giovinco guy pino?)

Great choices by Del Bosque :up:

As for Italy I am happy that Grosso is out, but others deserved to stay at home too : Camoranesi, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Gattuso. Stupid Lippi ignored young players like Antonini, Abate, and veteran player like Ambrosini and Perrotta in great form, not to mention Italy's biggest talent Cassano. Unfortunatelly Giovinco didn't play match at Juve so I agree with Lippi on that. I still don't have faith in this squad, and I will be very surprised to see them reach the 1/4 finals :s

pino
21st May 2010, 10:33
Btw judging by the votes on the poll, it will be a final between Brazil and Spain...

MrJan
21st May 2010, 11:07
Btw judging by the votes on the poll, it will be a final between Brazil and Spain...

I'm willing to bet my sig with anyone that neither of those teams actually reach the final.

race aficionado
21st May 2010, 20:14
Have you guys checked this out.
I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE&feature=player_embedded

:s mokin:

chac47
22nd May 2010, 06:05
You left us off the list Pino! Anyway, we're really excited to have the All Whites part of the World Cup again, 28 years is a long time and I just love it when the spotlight is on football and not rugby. :D

pino
22nd May 2010, 07:57
You left us off the list Pino! Anyway, we're really excited to have the All Whites part of the World Cup again, 28 years is a long time and I just love it when the spotlight is on football and not rugby. :D

Sorry but we can only have 25 options on poll, anyway I wish your great country best luck and I hope to see New Zealand in the final :D

Rollo
22nd May 2010, 13:36

They either meet in the Round of 16 or the final, depending on where they come in their respective groups, because of the sides of the draw they sit on.

odykas
25th May 2010, 17:56
WC is coming http://www.alfisti.gr/forum/images/smilies/egyptdance.gif

Alexamateo
25th May 2010, 18:35
Watching Mexico versus England yesterday, they could actually do something in South Africa, if they could actually put the ball in the back of the net. :dozey:

MrJan
25th May 2010, 19:38
Watching Mexico versus England yesterday, they could actually do something in South Africa, if they could actually put the ball in the back of the net. :dozey:

You obviously aren't talking about England :laugh: Shocking performance, Mexico were robbed.

Alexamateo
25th May 2010, 21:27
You obviously aren't talking about England :laugh: Shocking performance, Mexico were robbed.

Sorry I wasn't clear, but yes, my wife is Mexican and we pull for El Tri in this house. :) :laugh:

Rollo
26th May 2010, 03:01
Yeah the press were stupid, shouting from the rooftops that he'd said it and then complaining that it ruined the bid chance. However he shouldn't have said it in the first place, the press shouldn't have been able to report it.

Why not? If he suspects it to be the truth, then it should be weeded out.

pino
26th May 2010, 11:58
FIFA ranking before World Cup :

1. Brazil 1.611
2. Spain 1.565
3. Portugal 1.249
4. Netherlands 1.231
5. Italy 1.184
6. Germany 1.082
7. Argentina 1.076
8. England 1.068
9. France 1.044
10. Croatia 1.041

What has Portugal done to be in 3rd position ? :crazy:

Donney
26th May 2010, 14:11
If you check the the first two it is obvious, they speak Portuguese and are in the Iberian Peninsula... :D

555-04Q2
27th May 2010, 10:52
Why is South Africa on the list :?: We've got no chance at all :(

MrJan
27th May 2010, 11:01
I'm willing to bet my sig with anyone that neither of those teams actually reach the final.

Anyone?!!

Brown, Jon Brow
27th May 2010, 11:10
It will be interesting to see if Argentina can get Messi and Tevez playing well together. That has the potential to be a fearsome partnership.

Donney
27th May 2010, 11:50
Anyone?!!

OK I'll take it, but the LW is out of limits... :D

Camelopard
27th May 2010, 11:53
Anyone But England.................... :)

Camelopard
27th May 2010, 11:55
Anyone?!!

Yep, Anyone But England.................. :)

Josti
27th May 2010, 15:57
Final Dutch squad:

GK: Stekelenburg, Vorm, Boschker
DF: Van Bronckhorst, Braafheid, Boulahrouz, Heitinga, Ooijer, Mathijsen, Van der Wiel
MF: Van Bommel, De Jong, De Zeeuw, Schaars, Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Affelay
FW: Kuijt, Huntelaar, Elia, Van Persie, Robben, Babel

Pretty solid.

MrJan
27th May 2010, 16:04
Final Dutch squad:

GK: Stekelenburg, Vorm, Boschker
DF: Van Bronckhorst, Braafheid, Boulahrouz, Heitinga, Ooijer, Mathijsen, Van der Wiel
MF: Van Bommel, De Jong, De Zeeuw, Schaars, Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Affelay
FW: Kuijt, Huntelaar, Elia, Van Persie, Robben, Babel

Pretty solid.

Shame that they'll all fall out with each other after looking sublime in the group stage :p : :laugh:

Josti
27th May 2010, 16:10
Shame that they'll all fall out with each other after looking sublime in the group stage :p : :laugh:

True, I hope this time they can be consistent for once. It's not easy for ego's to spend 30+ days with eachother. ;)

gloomyDAY
28th May 2010, 05:05
Mexico has been a great disappointment. :(

I guess some things never change.

chac47
30th May 2010, 07:42
World Cup warmup match: New Zealand 1 - Serbia 0 :D

odykas
31st May 2010, 08:50
Vamos Lionel :D
Vamos Diego :devil:

Camelopard
1st June 2010, 08:47
Of course I'll be baracking for Australia, though I don't think they will get through to the second round this time.

As long as it is A.B.E. (Anyone But England :) ).

Although after the performance of some Italian players in the final last time, I'll really hope they don't win either............

Storm
1st June 2010, 13:43
Grosso isn't in the squad this time camelopard :p :

I like the ABE thing though...

MrJan
1st June 2010, 13:56
I was having an argument with someone about Eurovision and said that it's pointless us entering because everyone hates us. He said that I wasn't the case anymore but I think that the ABE syndrome proves my point :D

driveace
1st June 2010, 16:18
Story on the news that Walcott is not chosen for World cup!

Storm
2nd June 2010, 08:04
and how would having him there been helpful to England?

All squads done..now the wait till the 11th!

odykas
2nd June 2010, 19:32
Will you miss Beckham? :p

Daniel
2nd June 2010, 19:41
Can we have a poll for when England get knocker out? :p

ABE! :D

UltimateDanGTR
3rd June 2010, 15:11
I can see england in a quarter final vs France, and england losing on penalties. amazing, considering France would then be in the semis, amazing for a side who really are not what they were.

Argentina-will they even get out of the group stage?

even though serbia lost to new zealand, I can still see them being a bit of a surprise this summer. I wouldn't discount the united states from doing something special. none of these two will win the thing though: either germany, spain or brazil for me.

and knowing england will not be in the final (look at my optimism there!) I hope for a spain vs brazil showdown. I have a feeling that would be pretty special.

Rollo
4th June 2010, 07:24
The USA gets a warm up against Australia on Saturday night (morning, whatever).

I expect that Australia will probably start with Josh Kennedy up front again, and Everton lad Tim Cahill will be a lurker; and remember Australia did give Denmark a 1-0 touch up mid week.

The USA will probably play Donovan as a lone striker and with Altidore out, does that mean that Buddle would be pushed forward into the hole?

Quite frankly I think that the match will be scoreless because the USA has Tim Howard as their keeper and Australia has Mark Schwarzer. Both of whom on their day are utterly sublime.

The result here could be quite indicative of how both sides will perform in the World Cup itself. The USA has England in its group, and more than likely if Germany wins their group, then England would meet Australia in the Round of 16 (assuming Australia comes second).

pino
6th June 2010, 16:38
Injured list's getting bigger and bigger : Mikel, Essien, Rio, Ballack, Beckham, Drogba, Pirlo, Robben... :(

UltimateDanGTR
6th June 2010, 18:34
Will you miss Beckham? :p

will you miss having a decent manager? :p :

555-04Q2
7th June 2010, 10:47
Quite amazingly, our boys are unbeaten in their last 11 games and scoring goals for a change. We may, just may, have a tiny chance of making the second round this time.

Brown, Jon Brow
7th June 2010, 12:03
We had a World Cup sweepstake at work. I got England, so I know i'm not going to win :(

SOD
7th June 2010, 13:52
Brazil - Argentina final

UltimateDanGTR
7th June 2010, 16:33
Quite amazingly, our boys are unbeaten in their last 11 games and scoring goals for a change. We may, just may, have a tiny chance of making the second round this time.

I'm rooting for south africa. actually, I'm rooting for all the african nations. except when algeria play england. your boys better beat france and knock them out-so england dont have to meet them in the quarters! :D

south africa being unbeaten in 11 games, the mexicans and uruguayans with attacking style and the french recently losing to the mighty china, anything can happen.

come to think of it, has a host nation ever failed to progress beyond the first round? I think not, a good omen for south africa maybe....

555-04Q2
8th June 2010, 11:03
I'm rooting for south africa. actually, I'm rooting for all the african nations. except when algeria play england. your boys better beat france and knock them out-so england dont have to meet them in the quarters! :D

south africa being unbeaten in 11 games, the mexicans and uruguayans with attacking style and the french recently losing to the mighty china, anything can happen.

come to think of it, has a host nation ever failed to progress beyond the first round? I think not, a good omen for south africa maybe....

Every host nation has made it past the first round. I fear we may be the first to break that record, but I hope not!

MrJan
8th June 2010, 11:41
OK I'll take it, but the LW is out of limits... :D

I've now drawn Spain in the sweepstake at work so actually hoping they get the win and I end up with a crap signature :D

Donney
8th June 2010, 16:06
I've now drawn Spain in the sweepstake at work so actually hoping they get the win and I end up with a crap signature :D

Josti
8th June 2010, 22:46
Injured list's getting bigger and bigger : ..., Drogba, Pirlo, Robben... :(

Seems all 3 of them will make it afterall. I do wonder what Drogba's prescription on painkillers will be.

Wild Dog
9th June 2010, 12:41
OK. I'll take the opposite. I'll be supporting DEN in GROUP E.

Nice mate, me too :D

pino
9th June 2010, 13:14
Nice mate, me too :D

Me too...after Italy ;)

Wild Dog
9th June 2010, 14:07
Me too...after Italy ;)

Hehe okay. After Denmark i support Spain :)

race aficionado
9th June 2010, 14:29
2 days . . . zero hours . . . . 41 minutes . . . .45 seconds . . . .

cool!

pino
10th June 2010, 07:39
The "experts" predicts Spain as World Champ :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8730975.stm

Donney
10th June 2010, 07:48
Bad thing, too many people expecting too much from "La Roja" I am afraid they'll be a disappointment....

Rollo
10th June 2010, 08:15
Now that England in this tournament will be wearing another all white kit, what is the likelihood of seeing a repeat performance ala Terry Butcher or Paul Ince? It's a bit like Sod's Law in action, or the chance of a piece of bread landing buttered side down.

http://perspectivabr.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/sport-01s10butcher89_3681.jpg
http://ariefantasista10.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/incer_350x300.jpg

You're not hard core, unless you live hard core.

UltimateDanGTR
10th June 2010, 10:11
Bad thing, too many people expecting too much from "La Roja" I am afraid they'll be a disappointment....

last time people expected spain to actually perform for once:
http://gallery.techarena.in/data/519/EURO2008_Spain.jpg

I hope Spain win. they are the best national team in the world by far and play lovely football. knowing that england won't win ofcourse, I can do that.

Spain vs Brazil final would be great. If the likes of germany, france or italy make it instead, it will be annoying. IMO, none of which have shown any real sign of being good world champions this time around.

pino
10th June 2010, 13:04
...If the likes of germany, france or italy make it instead, it will be annoying. IMO, none of which have shown any real sign of being good world champions this time around.

The World Cup hasn't started yet...how can you say that ? :confused: :p :

MrJan
10th June 2010, 13:12
The World Cup hasn't started yet...how can you say that ? :confused: :p :

Wrong! The World Cup Finals haven't started yet, the World Cup has been going on for years :p :

pino
10th June 2010, 14:02
Wrong! The World Cup Finals haven't started yet, the World Cup has been going on for years :p :

Exactly and you don't have to play a beautifull football in order to win the Cup, that's why Italy won it 4 times :p :

Josti
10th June 2010, 15:37

It's a fact that Spain never really performed on a World Cup, but I think we're in for a turn around this time. They have team spirit, combinations go with ease, and at least five superstars who can make a change. 2008 they were top class, they haven't unlearned that in only two years.

Brazil and Germany never really played bad World Cup's, so evidently, they are my two other serious favourites. I don't have huge faith in Italy and France this time, especially the latter, who've been playing dreadful since Euro 2008. They really have to rely on Ribery I guess. Netherlands are a bit similar to Spain IMO, only a bit fewer stars and not such a strong bench, so injuries could be fatal for our chances.

Well tomorrow's the day, I'm rooting for South Africa and Uruguay.

UltimateDanGTR
10th June 2010, 16:25
Exactly and you don't have to play a beautifull football in order to win the Cup, that's why Italy won it 4 times :p :

Im glad an Italian said that.

what I mean is Italy and France havn't been playing brilliantly recently, well IMO since euro 2008. portugal are the same. Germany have never played particularly glorious football, but begrudgingly to me are always there or there abouts. I think either of these teams making the final over brazil or spain would taint the spectacle, for me spain vs brazil is this years ultimate final.

the dutch vs brazil or spain would also be a glorious spectacle, for me these teams play the best football in the world.

IM not even mentioning argentina or england there delibrately.

Rollo
11th June 2010, 01:52
http://www.dailytoreador.com/opinions/lott-the-us-doesn-t-care-about-the-world-cup-1.2273599
"Just look at the television ratings from the last world cup in 2006. Approximately 21 million people watched the finals in the U.S. that year. But what they fail to mention when they say this apparently large number is that 21 million people is only about 7 percent of the United States viewing audience."

"In all honesty, we just don’t care."

Ahah, so the excuses have started already. :D Is this an admission that even if the Septic Tanks lose against England they've already written it off?

June 12... The Empire Strikes Back :vader:

Alexamateo
11th June 2010, 03:28
http://www.slate.com/id/2255959/

Here's an article you might enjoy!

Around the world, the F.A.'s version of the game continued to be called association football to distinguish it from the rest. In the 1880s, popular British slang took the soc from association and turned it into soccer. Throughout the first half of the 20th century, soccer, football, and soccer football were used more or less interchangeably throughout the English-speaking world. After a while, however, football began to prevail in countries where the F.A.'s rules were most popular, while soccer rose to the fore in countries (the United States, Canada, Australia) where a different version of the game predominated.

pino
11th June 2010, 07:22
CGMyHtZpMwY

Storm
11th June 2010, 07:28
I can't see the link pino at work :s

Anybody excited about today? :D thought so ;)

Hoping for a Uruguay win!

pino
11th June 2010, 07:44
I can't see the link pino at work :s

Anybody excited about today? :D thought so

Hoping for a Uruguay win!

Me very excited and very happy if Uruguay beats France :p : As for South Africa vs Mexico, I like both but I will support South Africa :D

ps : Watch it at home ;)

MrJan
11th June 2010, 08:23
Am I the only person that thinks that those bloody vu-vu horns are actually just going to ruin the atmosphere of this world cup? During the Cup of Nations they sounded horrible and I found myself switching off. What's wrong with good old fashioned crowd noise?

Brown, Jon Brow
11th June 2010, 10:15
Am I the only person that thinks that those bloody vu-vu horns are actually just going to ruin the atmosphere of this world cup? During the Cup of Nations they sounded horrible and I found myself switching off. What's wrong with good old fashioned crowd noise?

:up:

The same thing happened in 2002. The Japanese/Koreans crowds always seemed to shriek at a high pitch renever something exciting happened.

I really like the noise that Spanish and Portugese crowds make when they score. It sounds so aggressive. Even though they tend to score against England or Man U :(

pino
11th June 2010, 11:57

Totally agree, those vu-vu horns are the only negative part of this World Cup...so far ;)

veeten
11th June 2010, 12:03
ps : Watch it at home ;)

with refreshments. :beer: :D

555-04Q2
11th June 2010, 12:30
It's firkin chaos over here! All companies closed, people running around the streets! Can't wait for the tournament to end!

555-04Q2
11th June 2010, 12:31
Totally agree, those vu-vu horns are the only negative part of this World Cup...so far ;)

100% agree. They are all I can hear outside my office at the moment :(

UltimateDanGTR
11th June 2010, 13:03
actually, I went to the england vs egypt friendly match at wembley and they brought loads of vuvuzelas and other stuff as you can imagine and when you're in the stadium the things are more enjoyable than on your tv.

and I watched the african cup of nations on eurosport, which for football always demotes it a bit. I think everything will be better on BBC and ITV personally, I dont know what it is but eurosport doesnt catch football that well IMO. thats what made the ACoN annoying for me.

ShiftingGears
11th June 2010, 13:21
They sound like a horribly annoying swarm of insects that can't be swatted.

pino
11th June 2010, 14:54
World Cup is about to start...anyone watching this match live ? I am :D

race aficionado
11th June 2010, 14:58

Hola Pino!!!
A quarter to 10 in the morning on this part of the world and my family is all in front of our 42 inch HD TV ready for what we have all been waiting for.

Yes!!!

Lousada
11th June 2010, 14:58

I will. Although I don't expect a lot of spectacle. Both South Africa and Mexico are notorious defence squads.

pino
11th June 2010, 16:07
Hola Pino!!!
A quarter to 10 in the morning on this part of the world and my family is all in front of our 42 inch HD TV ready for what we have all been waiting for.

Yes!!!

Ciao race :wave: had no doubt about you :D

I will. Although I don't expect a lot of spectacle. Both South Africa and Mexico are notorious defence squads.

Mexico could've scored a couple of goals, and even South Africa had a couple of chances...it won't end 0-0

pino
11th June 2010, 16:28
Shabalala...amazing goal 1-0 to South Africa !!!!

anthonyvop
11th June 2010, 16:46
While I am rooting for the USA.
I am rooting more against Mexico and Argentina.....!

veeten
11th June 2010, 16:55
1-1 now...

I'll watch the match, and then... it's White Sox Baseball on WGN. :p :

Camelopard
11th June 2010, 17:19
So why was the goal disallowed to Mexico when the SA player was on the goal line about 10 minutes in? We are discussing this at work and the sound was on mute so we didn't get to hear what the commentators said.
One of the advantages of being on night shift!

race aficionado
11th June 2010, 17:20
How come Mexico's first goal was called off side?
Didn't the South African player guarding the goal line not offset the offside?

I'm never too old to learn the rules.

Any body out there that can elucidate on this?

Camelopard
11th June 2010, 17:25
How come Mexico's first goal was called off side?
Didn't the South African player guarding the goal line not offset the offside?

I'm never too old to learn the rules.

Any body out there that can elucidate on this?

Just what we are discussing, one of the guys here played the game in his younger days and thought it should have been awarded, I always thought you had to have 2 oppossing players between you and the goal.

UltimateDanGTR
11th June 2010, 17:27
Its because the player who scored was ahead of the goalkeeper, so he was offside. remember, at least 1 outfield player and the goalkeeper must be goalside of the player being passed to for him not to be offside. we hardly see being ahead of the goalkeeper a factor, but today it was.

this is all useless ofcourse if the passing player is ahead of the player being passed to or anyone else he damnwell pleases, but that wasn't the case for today.

as for the rest of the match, i really enjoyed it and the vuvuzuelas weren't annoying at all. both teams can really play some good attacking football obviously, but seems suspect (especially south africa) in defence.

Tshabalala's goal was world class, from where he was, it was the perfect strike.

pino
11th June 2010, 17:36
South Africa were robbed, there was a penalty vs Mexico :eek: :p : but final result it's fair...

race aficionado
11th June 2010, 18:21
Its because the player who scored was ahead of the goalkeeper, so he was offside. remember, at least 1 outfield player and the goalkeeper must be goalside of the player being passed to for him not to be offside. we hardly see being ahead of the goalkeeper a factor, but today it was.

this is all useless ofcourse if the passing player is ahead of the player being passed to or anyone else he damnwell pleases, but that wasn't the case for today.

as for the rest of the match, i really enjoyed it and the vuvuzuelas weren't annoying at all. both teams can really play some good attacking football obviously, but seems suspect (especially south africa) in defence.

Tshabalala's goal was world class, from where he was, it was the perfect strike.

Thanks!
I would imagine that for this to be implemented, the goalie would have to be inside the box.*18 yards from the goal line. -

MrJan
11th June 2010, 19:52
i really enjoyed it and the vuvuzuelas weren't annoying at all.

I couldn't watch the earlier match because I was working but if the noise was anything like the France/Uruguay game then you're completely crazy. It's a horrible noise which is absolutely ruining the excitement of a world cup. What's wrong with good old fashioned crowd noise? I think that it's a sad thing to see in football, we shouldn't need these things to create any sort of atmosphere. If I hear anyone with one of those at the real St James Park next season then the only time they'll get to hear the noise again is when they fart.

Josti
11th June 2010, 20:41
I couldn't watch the earlier match because I was working but if the noise was anything like the France/Uruguay game then you're completely crazy. It's a horrible noise which is absolutely ruining the excitement of a world cup. What's wrong with good old fashioned crowd noise? I think that it's a sad thing to see in football, we shouldn't need these things to create any sort of atmosphere. If I hear anyone with one of those at the real St James Park next season then the only time they'll get to hear the noise again is when they fart.

Horn noise was common in 1960's, 1970's football stadiums actually. Ok, this is a bit different, but I do think it creates a distinctive atmosphere. I don't mind it as much as I would've expected, just something to get used to. The vuvuzela is an iconic South African instrument, the people are enthousiasts, I think we should respect that.

Dave B
11th June 2010, 20:47
I couldn't watch the earlier match because I was working but if the noise was anything like the France/Uruguay game then you're completely crazy. It's a horrible noise which is absolutely ruining the excitement of a world cup.
Remember the awful Michael Caine B-movie The Swarm? :dozey:

pino
11th June 2010, 21:37
France vs Uruguay :s nore:

race aficionado
11th June 2010, 21:43
France vs Uruguay :s nore:

makes the group interesting with all four having 1 point . . .

Shakira!!!

Eki
11th June 2010, 21:46
1-1 now...

I'll watch the match, and then... it's White Sox Baseball on WGN. :p :
You'll grow roots in your TV-chair.

odykas
11th June 2010, 22:01
France and especially Anelka :s nore:

Shakira!!!

http://www.alfisti.gr/forum/images/smilies/love.gif http://www.alfisti.gr/forum/images/smilies/love.gif

Edit: Eki, what are you doing here? :p :

Rollo
12th June 2010, 03:46
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2010/6/10/1276180345291/typical-daily-mail-letter-001.jpg
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/10/world-cup-daily-mail-letter
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mediamonkeyblog/2010/jun/10/world-cup-foreigners-daily-mail

Bongo Bongoland? Is that where the sunny funny one they call Um Bongo comes from?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYj5o4kQsXs&feature=related

I'm surprised that "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" hasn't written a response to this.

Alexamateo
12th June 2010, 06:05
http://<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tAOOZdDP-3c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tAOOZdDP-3c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Here's to a great game tomorrow! :p :D :)

Alexamateo
12th June 2010, 06:08
http://<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tAOOZdDP-3c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tAOOZdDP-3c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here's to a Great game tomorrow!

UltimateDanGTR
12th June 2010, 08:29
Horn noise was common in 1960's, 1970's football stadiums actually. Ok, this is a bit different, but I do think it creates a distinctive atmosphere. I don't mind it as much as I would've expected, just something to get used to. The vuvuzela is an iconic South African instrument, the people are enthousiasts, I think we should respect that.

:up:

agreed. the vuvuzuelas are part of african culture and we should appreciate that. It certainly is unique for us non-africans and every world cup has something that really stands out as different, the vuvuzuelas are this years.

Although the france vs uruguay match was boring. And I blame the french. flat going foward, and tight in defence for the most part. so uruguay couldnt break through but equally it was hard for them to be broken through. and then when the uruguayan bloke got sent off, they put everyone behind the ball, so a goal was gonna be virtually impossible. the sooner these two teams are out of the world cup the better, there are far more entertaining teams to watch (south africa and mexico for a start)

pino
12th June 2010, 14:41
South Korea - Greece 2-0 :eek:

MrJan
12th June 2010, 15:27
Greece were awful and S. Korea looked quite good. If anything the score should have been further apart.

Argentina looking good now, I can't believe the number of English people saying that they won't get far because they 'lack form'. With players like Messi, Tevez and Higuain form is always just around the corner.

DonJippo
12th June 2010, 15:36
Argentina looking good now, I can't believe the number of English people saying that they won't get far because they 'lack form'. With players like Messi, Tevez and Higuain form is always just around the corner.

Argentina's problem is not the players but the so called coach :dozey:

Eki
12th June 2010, 15:42
France and especially Anelka :s nore:

http://www.alfisti.gr/forum/images/smilies/love.gif http://www.alfisti.gr/forum/images/smilies/love.gif

Edit: Eki, what are you doing here? :p :
I'm rooting for South Korea.

pino
12th June 2010, 16:01
With players like Messi, Tevez and Higuain form is always just around the corner.

With such good players (not to mention the ones left at home (Zanetti, Cambiasso, Lavezzi etc...) by stupid Maradona even you and me could coach Argentina and win ;)

Argentina's problem is not the players but the so called coach :dozey:

Exactly !

Brown, Jon Brow
12th June 2010, 18:07
Argentina didn't look too solid in defence. With their attacking players they could maybe take an attitude that if they score 3, we (Argentina) will score 4.

Dave B
12th June 2010, 19:57
I hear via Twiter that ITV HD managed to cock up yet more sporting coverage by missing England's goal :rolleyes:

Brown, Jon Brow
12th June 2010, 20:32
Will England ever find a keeper that can catch?

pino
12th June 2010, 20:33
England -USA 1-1 after 1st half, great score by Gerrard and an huge mistake by Green, I feel very sorry for him :(

Eki
12th June 2010, 20:44
Will England ever find a keeper that can catch?
Someone on the Finnish TV wondered that same thing already yesterday and suggested that maybe Finland should send some goal keeper coaches to England. Seems that he may be right that the goalies can be an Achilles heel for England.

Brown, Jon Brow
12th June 2010, 20:50
Someone on the Finnish TV wondered that same thing already yesterday and suggested that maybe Finland should send some goal keeper coaches to England. Seems that he may be right that the goalies can be an Achilles heel for England.

It's been a problem ever since Ronaldinho chipped Seaman in 2002. :(

Eki
12th June 2010, 20:59
It's been a problem ever since Ronaldinho chipped Seaman in 2002. :(
Maybe it's because every kid want to be another Beckham and none another Seaman. Goalies and other defensive players are like cleaning ladies, they only get noticed if they do their job poorly.

Brown, Jon Brow
12th June 2010, 21:44
England 1 - 1 USA. :(

I felt England had more chances but Green made up for his error with a great save. Emile Heskey missed a great chance one-on-one with the keeper as did Wright-Phillips.

More good than bad overall.

RMLCruzeing82
12th June 2010, 21:47
England 1 - 1 USA. :(

I felt England had more chances but Green made up for his error with a great save. Emile Heskey missed a great chance one-on-one with the keeper as did Wright-Phillips.

More good than bad overall.

i dont think they played as well in the 2nd half BUT did well just a shame green was half asleep

UltimateDanGTR
12th June 2010, 22:00
dont you just love being an england fan? (If you are one)

nor do I. :D

perfect irony: when we play sub-par we win, when we play well like today we draw! I thought very good performance, should of won, and a shocker for green, I feel really sorry for him. but an england keeper is always going to make one howler in a world cup, so at least he's got it out of the way nice and early.

as for the other games today: greece were very poor. south korea outclassed them by far, my bet for 2nd place in the group. when attacking the argentines were very good, but with messi, higuan, milito, tevez and more-that should be compulsory for the argies. shame about their suspect defence. I blame that solely on Maradonna. no Zanetti. No cambiasso-insane. argentina should of scored 3/4 today, but thats football. Messi was exceptional and should've scored at least a brace.

looking foward to more great world cup footy tomorrow.

driveace
12th June 2010, 22:43
We should have dominated the game tonight,but after the first goal,we sit back,and the work load is mediocre.
USA passing was far better than ours,and their goal,should have been blocked by the 5 English players in front of the guy that scored,he had far too much room allowed him. On his own he turned the ball AND had plenty of time for his shot,they should have closed him down.Green was at fault fordropping the ball,but so were the 5 players who allowed the striker TOO much space

SOD
12th June 2010, 23:18
I hear via Twiter that ITV HD managed to cock up yet more sporting coverage by missing England's goal :rolleyes:

sky news wee having a field day with it.

itv hd had to broadcast with normal def for the rest of the game......

can imagine lots of punters in the bars got shafted with that deal

Brown, Jon Brow
13th June 2010, 00:19
A 1-1 wont do anything for the popularity of the sport in the USA. They don't understand the concept of a draw. :dozey:

Tazio
13th June 2010, 01:18
A 1-1 wont do anything for the popularity of the sport in the USA. They don't understand the concept of a draw. :dozey:
In the World Cup pool play it's worth one point.

It's also possible to have a tie in an NFL regular season game if there is no scoring in the 15 minute overtime period!

Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry :dozey:

BTW do I smell sour grapes? :p :

Tazio
13th June 2010, 02:33
A 1-1 wont do anything for the popularity of the sport in the USA. They don't understand the concept of a draw. :dozey: Boxing is another sport that is popular in the States.
In fact a long time ago it was the most popular sport in the U.S.A.
I don't think Americans had any problem "conceptualizing" a draw,
or do we now. :dozey:

Lousada
13th June 2010, 11:02
You are lucky you're in the group with Algeria and Slovenia. England will make the next round easily and by that time you should have the form. All the top teams had a poor start so far, even Argentina wasn't brilliant.

I wonder how the Germans will do tonight. They are not that good, and the Australians always have a good mentality. Hopefully we get another surprise result!!

christophulus
13th June 2010, 11:21

You heard right - here's the goal in glorious HD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCb9UspoP6g&feature=player_embedded

You can imagine how pleased we all were watching that...

The match was pretty dismal but at least we've got the inevitable goalkeeping cock up out of the way early on. If he drops Green then I think we're in trouble - it essentially means if the ancient James or inexperienced Hart makes a similar mistake (likely) he'll have to drop them too. Give Green another chance.

MrJan
13th June 2010, 12:41
ITV are just plain shocking, I'm so glad that the pub I was in didn't have HD.

England were woeful last night, first half we had nothing. I don't know why Capello didn't start James and didn't bring on Joe Cole for Milner (seeing as Cole actually plays on the left). Poor players, poor coaching, poor result. At least it'll finally show people that England have no chance of winning this tournament, or even progressing particularly far.

veeten
13th June 2010, 14:07
:)

pino
13th June 2010, 17:08
Serbia - Ghana 0-1 :D

Ranger
13th June 2010, 19:23
Australia vs Germany coming right up! :D

dunes
13th June 2010, 19:32
Finally a sport the USA can't buy a championship with. I like rooting for the underdog and I'd say were about as far from a sure thing here as we could ever be.

dunes
13th June 2010, 19:58
Germany over Austrrailia 1-0

MrJan
13th June 2010, 20:09
2-0 now. Aussies look alright at times but all over the place defensively and the Germans are defending in numbers

dunes
13th June 2010, 20:10
Germany 2-0 over the Aussies 29:08

Daniel
13th June 2010, 20:15

Agreed. In Australia and South Africa you don't get the football singing that you probably get here. Does that mean if the world cup ever comes here and South African people find the singing annoying that they shouldn't let people sing? Of course not. The point of having these events in different countries is to get a flavour of that country.

Perhaps the vuvuzela's are a bit OTT but the beauty of black culture for anyone who's ever actually stepped foot on African soil and seen it for themselves is the exuberance and honesty of it. If you want to supress the black culture then why the hell have the tournament in Africa?

MrJan
13th June 2010, 20:22
Perhaps the vuvuzela's are a bit OTT but the beauty of black culture for anyone who's ever actually stepped foot on African soil and seen it for themselves is the exuberance and honesty of it. If you want to supress the black culture then why the hell have the tournament in Africa?

I don't want to surpress black culture at all, I'm a big fan of African music (admittedely more Mali based than anything else). However there is a difference between having some traditional instruments and making thousands of plastic versions which are then arbitrarily sounded throughout the game. I' don't think that they should get rid of them, just give it a bit of a rest at times.

I've watched 4 or 5 games so far and everytime I get a headache from the noise and have to turn the sound down so that I can no longer hear the commentary. If England had the WC and half the crowd had plastic trumpets that never shut up then I'm fairly sure that people would moan about it....I know that I would.

UltimateDanGTR
13th June 2010, 20:25
serbia: my predicted dark horses go down to ghana. that could be crucial to 2nd place in the group, well done the ghanians.

as for germany, good attacking football with flair at times-not something we can often say about the germans. (not that i can talk-being english) anyone reckon this one is being watched in the red bull camp? could be humurous.

Daniel
13th June 2010, 20:26
I don't want to surpress black culture at all, I'm a big fan of African music (admittedely more Mali based than anything else). However there is a difference between having some traditional instruments and making thousands of plastic versions which are then arbitrarily sounded throughout the game. I' don't think that they should get rid of them, just give it a bit of a rest at times.

I've watched 4 or 5 games so far and everytime I get a headache from the noise and have to turn the sound down so that I can no longer hear the commentary. If England had the WC and half the crowd had plastic trumpets that never shut up then I'm fairly sure that people would moan about it....I know that I would.
That's what it's like in South Africa. I'm not going to complain when I go to an England SA rugby match in England when I have to sit next to a loud obnoxious lager breathed fatty now am I?

When in Rome..... or should I say when watching TV coverage of something happening in Rome, STFU and stop complaining :)

dunes
13th June 2010, 20:29
The Aussies are just triing to look to pretty. They need to calm down and think about the game and not the cameras.

pino
13th June 2010, 20:36
At the moment...Germany is just too strong for Australia :s

Eki
13th June 2010, 21:06
Agreed. In Australia and South Africa you don't get the football singing that you probably get here. Does that mean if the world cup ever comes here and South African people find the singing annoying that they shouldn't let people sing? Of course not. The point of having these events in different countries is to get a flavour of that country.

You could add the samba drums in South America to banned items and people will be as silent as in a golf game.

UltimateDanGTR
13th June 2010, 21:09
4-0 the germans. easy.

australia have gone to nothing, this is looking embarassing for them, not what I expect of the aussies.

the germans are in a different class. if they keep this up, they could win the entire tournement.

pino
13th June 2010, 21:13
Germany too strong but the referee is a big idiot, that red card was unfair :down:

dunes
13th June 2010, 21:14
4-0 the germans. easy.

australia have gone to nothing, this is looking embarassing for them, not what I expect of the aussies.

the germans are in a different class. if they keep this up, they could win the entire tournement.
They deffinatly seemed the betteer team today, but as I said before the Aussies seemed to be playing to the cameras and not to thier potential. as for the germans running away with it I don't think so. Lets see what they do against more formable foe.

MrJan
13th June 2010, 21:18
That's what it's like in South Africa. I'm not going to complain when I go to an England SA rugby match in England when I have to sit next to a loud obnoxious lager breathed fatty now am I?

Why not? I complain about the majority of England fans, I complain about the piss heads that sometimes go to City and I complain that all football fans are idiots, yet for some reason I now can't complain that an irritating noise is irritating because it's a national irritating noise? You're up on that high horse again, fancy stepping down from it? :p : :D

UltimateDanGTR
13th June 2010, 21:23
They deffinatly seemed the betteer team today, but as I said before the Aussies seemed to be playing to the cameras and not to thier potential. as for the germans running away with it I don't think so. Lets see what they do against more formable foe.

hey, the germans ain't gonna 'run away with it' however, I'd say they were in with a shout. beat spain and/or brazil, and they'd be deserved champions. anyone would. ofcourse, those two teams still have the edge IMO but, you can never discount the germans.

dunes
13th June 2010, 21:27
hey, the germans ain't gonna 'run away with it' however, I'd say they were in with a shout. beat spain and/or brazil, and they'd be deserved champions. anyone would. ofcourse, those two teams still have the edge IMO but, you can never discount the germans.
Agreeably they fantastic in the second half but Put them a more knowleble team and I think they'll fall hartd. I seen cracks in thbier defense a better team could take major advantage of.A top 7 or 8 maybe but not a top5 team IMO.

UltimateDanGTR
13th June 2010, 21:36
Agreeably they fantastic in the second half but Put them a more knowleble team and I think they'll fall hartd. I seen cracks in thbier defense a better team could take major advantage of.A top 7 or 8 maybe but not a top5 team IMO.

I think they will make the quarter finals easily....but when they get there it really depends on their opponents. It is likely they will meet argentina there, 4 years after their duel in 2006. that's a match they can win, by exploiting their rather suspect defence. however, with messi in their team, anything can happen.

god i love unpredictability.

Rollo
14th June 2010, 01:21

4-0 is exactly as I'd suspect once you have a squad playing a lone striker and then losing that striker because of a red card.

I already have a conspiracy theory to do with FIFA and the English speaking nations. My supposition is that there is a bis against them, that's well ingrained and this I don't see as being any different.

dunes
14th June 2010, 02:59
4-0 is exactly as I'd suspect once you have a squad playing a lone striker and then losing that striker because of a red card.

I already have a conspiracy theory to do with FIFA and the English speaking nations. My supposition is that there is a bis against them, that's well ingrained and this I don't see as being any different.
Just when I started to understand the sport and like it a little someone has to tell me its no better than all the american athletics.

Ranger
14th June 2010, 03:04
No one here is upset because of the 4-0 loss. :\ Germany thoroughly deserved to win.

Everyone here is upset at that red card. :down:

Schweinsteiger told Cahill after the match that it didn't deserve a red card. Says it all.

Storm
14th June 2010, 10:06
Yes it was not really a red card offence but then, they would have still lost 3-0 or more (2 goals had already gone and it could have been 3-0 at the break if Klose hadn't forgotten how to finish with his feet!)

Playing a lone striker (who in reality is a midfielder , although a goal-scoring one at club level) is a recipe for 0 points ( I guess Aus were only looking for 1 pt anyways)
Germany were amazing - if only they cut out the diving (and interestingly it came from a Brazilian and a Turkish-German player, I thought the referee was pretty good except for the Cahill card)

France were fun to watch as usual ( :rolleyes: ) and other teams just need to learn to not be afraid of them so much. I can see SA giving them a fright.

England - funny, but wish it was James and not Green to laugh at.

Italy, Netherlands and Cameroon to watch for today.

Storm
14th June 2010, 10:40
Sorry english fans but just got this email (from my wife of all people!!)

* Before he got into football, Robert Green was a bus driver. But he got fired because he couldn't make any stops.

* Why is Robert Green like ITV HD? They both switch off at the crucial moment.

* Yesterday at London Zoo one of the staff let a a Central American monkey slip out of his grasp. So Robert Green's not the only English keeper to drop a Howler.

* What does Robert Green do after winning the World Cup? Drops his controller.

* Robert Green has just been refused a Savings Account in his Local Bank

* At least that's one British spillage the Americans won't be moaning about...

* All these Rob Green jokes are getting out of hand...In fact they're crossing the line

* Kermit was right: It's not easy being Green.

* The England lads had a get-together after the game and bought Robert Green a drink to commiserate. He spilled it.

* Steven Gerrard said: "The whole team is behind Rob Green." With hindsight, that's a good place to stand.

* My computer's got the Robert Green virus. It can't save anything.

UltimateDanGTR
14th June 2010, 11:39
I have no comeback to the above. except maybe that when was the last time India qualified for the world cup? :D

(1950, actually, but didn't play because they would be forced to wear football boots)

Im really looking foward to watching a recorded version of the dutch vs the danes, the netherlands always play exciting football. In the group stage at least.

Storm
14th June 2010, 12:01
Hey we are now 133 in the world..up from 150 or so :p :

Yeah looking forward to tonights games as well, a stupid meeting to attend then I think I will be off - kickoff in 45 minutes :)

Brown, Jon Brow
14th June 2010, 12:14
Hey we are now 133 in the world..up from 150 or so :p :

Yeah looking forward to tonights games as well, a stupid meeting to attend then I think I will be off - kickoff in 45 minutes :)

How can a country with so many people be so poor at football?

Storm
14th June 2010, 12:31
Because of many many reasons
1- not too many care about it like I do.
2- too much cricket
3- not much success even at Asian level to boost its popularity
4 - very poor facilities in most cities
5- inspite of a rich history of club football (especially in Bengal/Goa) nobody watches domestic football on tv, they would rather see Premier League
6- No money in the sport

Like in every thing you can think of, India has the talent
What we lack is the motivation, physical fitness, mental strength, financial backing and organization (read sponsors) and the real passion for this game.

Brown, Jon Brow
14th June 2010, 12:40
Because of many many reasons
1- not too many care about it like I do.
2- too much cricket
3- not much success even at Asian level to boost its popularity
4 - very poor facilities in most cities
5- inspite of a rich history of club football (especially in Bengal/Goa) nobody watches domestic football on tv, they would rather see Premier League
6- No money in the sport

Like in every thing you can think of, India has the talent
What we lack is the motivation, physical fitness, mental strength, financial backing and organization (read sponsors) and the real passion for this game.

You mention poor facilities but do people still play at a very basic level? I mean, i spent my childhood playing football with a tennis ball and a bench in the playground as a goal.

MrJan
14th June 2010, 13:02
You mention poor facilities but do people still play at a very basic level? I mean, i spent my childhood playing football with a tennis ball and a bench in the playground as a goal.

Exeter City have been using a similar set up for years ;)

Eki
14th June 2010, 13:10
You could add the samba drums in South America to banned items and people will be as silent as in a golf game.
We should invent a new annoying noise for the next World Cup. Any ideas? I suggest beer can clicking. You take an empty beer can in one hand, put your fingers under the bottom and press the center of its top with your thumb so that it makes a clicking noise. I'd like to hear what it sounds like if 10,000 cans do it simultaneously.

MrJan
14th June 2010, 13:13
We should invent a new annoying noise for the next World Cup. Any ideas? I suggest beer can clicking. You take an empty beer can in one hand, put your fingers under the bottom and press the center of its top with your thumb so that it makes a clicking noise. I'd like to hear what it sounds like if 10,000 cans do it simultaneously.

England fans aren't even allowed to look at beer during a football game, largely because we're incapable of drinking without resorting to violence.

Brown, Jon Brow
14th June 2010, 13:47
Horrible own goal by Denmark against the Dutch.

Josti
14th June 2010, 15:11
Horrible own goal by Denmark against the Dutch.

Yeah, that really did released some tension for The Netherlands and allowed them to play a bit more of their own game. 1st half was equal, 2nd half after the og was for the Dutch and I think a well deserved 2-0 by Kuyt (Elia was a great substitute). Good start.

Brown, Jon Brow
14th June 2010, 15:33
Elia played well. The Dutch lacked his pace in the first half.

UltimateDanGTR
14th June 2010, 20:23
paraguay lead italy! this game could get good now.

pino
14th June 2010, 20:38
Italy played better but couldn't score, Paraguay had a single chance and scored...that's football. Hopefully things will change in the 2nd half :p :

MrJan
14th June 2010, 21:17
Italy didn't play that much better Pino. It was a dull half in which neither team really did much of anything to score, the only difference is that the Italian defence switched off.

Rollo
14th June 2010, 21:20
Whats the difference between Mick Mccarthy and a vuvuzela? One has an annoying monotonous single pitch drone, the other is a plastic horn.

MrJan
14th June 2010, 21:25
Whats the difference between Mick Mccarthy and a vuvuzela? One has an annoying monotonous single pitch drone, the other is a plastic horn.

People that can see my status on FB will know that I dislike Mick M. I would rather listen to Geoff Boycott.

veeten
14th June 2010, 21:29
three minutes stoppage time...

Rollo
14th June 2010, 21:29
Martin Tyler, Motty and that guy from the Walker's crisps ads. That would be all you need for a good commentary team.

veeten
14th June 2010, 21:31
and there it is. Italy 1-1 Paraguay.

pino
14th June 2010, 21:34
Italy didn't play that much better Pino. It was a dull half in which neither team really did much of anything to score, the only difference is that the Italian defence switched off.

We must have watched a different game then ;)

Rollo
14th June 2010, 21:36
Paraguay, Uruguay, Jamiroquai...

janneppi
15th June 2010, 07:54
Italy played better but couldn't score, Paraguay had a single chance and scored...that's football. Hopefully things will change in the 2nd half :p :
Italy didn't show much in the first half, Paraguay matched them in the midfield pretty well, concidering Italy was the champion last time around. Second half was better for Italian. but not a level where they should be.

Of the bigger countries, sofar only Germany seemed to play at a high level, maybe Spain and Brazil wil show some good effort.

pino
15th June 2010, 08:10
Italy didn't show much in the first half, Paraguay matched them in the midfield pretty well, concidering Italy was the champion last time around. Second half was better for Italian. but not a level where they should be.

Of the bigger countries, sofar only Germany seemed to play at a high level, maybe Spain and Brazil wil show some good effort.

You too must have watched a different game than I have :p : As for Germany, with all respect for Australia, Paraguay is much much stronger (South America WC Qualy finals says that) plus Australia played one man down. Anyway I still think Lippi is an idiot but I am quite satisfied about Italy performance :)

MrJan
15th June 2010, 08:21
We must have watched a different game then ;)

When I posted I was talking about the first half. I guess that you watched it through a big pair of Italian rose-tinted spectacles because you offered nothing in the first half. Italy had the ball more but never really threatened much. There were corners but they came to nothing and the keeper was barely troubled.

It was always going to be a close game though, Paraguay parked themselves in front of the goal and Italy are usually fairly tight at the back (ooh matron).

I'm not saying that Italy were awful (they'd walk all over England), just that they didn't really do a lot in the first half.

UltimateDanGTR
15th June 2010, 11:13
Paraguay, Uruguay, Jamiroquai...

did jamiroquai even qualify this year?

veeten
15th June 2010, 14:32
way to go, Kiwis!!! :D

tying goal in stoppage time. :)

MrJan
15th June 2010, 14:32
NZ last minute equaliser!!! From what I've seen of the dying minutes it was well deserved, especially as the Slovakian goal was offside. Shouldn't have been left so late though, they missed an absolute sitter about 5 minutes before.

Still they got their reward for some good pressure and Slovakia paid the price of trying to soak it up.

UltimateDanGTR
15th June 2010, 16:08
well done new zealand! fully deserved for them, slovakia poor.

as for ivory coaast vs portugal:yawn.

there's been a distinct lack of goals so far this world cup. hopefully it will get better.

janneppi
15th June 2010, 16:37
You too must have watched a different game than I have :p : As for Germany, with all respect for Australia, Paraguay is much much stronger (South America WC Qualy finals says that) plus Australia played one man down. Anyway I still think Lippi is an idiot but I am quite satisfied about Italy performance :)
You might want to take out the video cassette from 06 finals, and start watching live games. ;)

Australia wasn't very good, but they weren't as bad as you make them out to be, with guys like Lahm, germany should and could slice through most defenses with relative ease.

pino
15th June 2010, 17:21
When I posted I was talking about the first half. I guess that you watched it through a big pair of Italian rose-tinted spectacles because you offered nothing in the first half. Italy had the ball more but never really threatened much. There were corners but they came to nothing and the keeper was barely troubled.

It was always going to be a close game though, Paraguay parked themselves in front of the goal and Italy are usually fairly tight at the back (ooh matron).

I'm not saying that Italy were awful (they'd walk all over England), just that they didn't really do a lot in the first half.

Match Statistics :

Italy (ITA) Paraguay (PAR)

Shots : 10 - 8

Shots on goal : 5 - 1

Corner kicks : 8 - 4

Ball Possession (%) : 52% - 48%

I must agree about first half, the problem was Marchisio playing in a wrong position. Stupid Lippi should've played Di Natale in that position, eventhough the best man there would've been Cassano, but he's not in the squad :mad:

You might want to take out the video cassette from 06 finals, and start watching live games. ;)

Australia wasn't very good, but they weren't as bad as you make them out to be, with guys like Lahm, germany should and could slice through most defenses with relative ease.

I am watching 2006 finals almost everyday :p : And who said Australia were bad ? not me ;)

Josti
15th June 2010, 17:26
as for ivory coaast vs portugal:yawn.

there's been a distinct lack of goals so far this world cup. hopefully it will get better.

I think teams are still a bit cautious, being it the first game, one that you don't want to loose. I thought Ivory Coast - Portugal was ok, but it deserved a goal, at least for Ivory Coast who I thought were the better of the two.

pino
15th June 2010, 17:36
...and now everyone's expecting Brazil to score 5-6 goals against Korea :p :

Tazio
15th June 2010, 18:26
Match Statistics :

Italy (ITA) Paraguay (PAR)

Shots : 10 - 8

Shots on goal : 5 - 1

Corner kicks : 8 - 4

Ball Possession (%) : 52% - 48%

I must agree about first half, the problem was Marchisio playing in a wrong position. Stupid Lippi should've played Di Natale in that position, eventhough the best man there would've been Cassano, but he's not in the squad :mad:

Don't you think this is typical Team Italy Football.
They play below their ability against teams they should beat, and employ the
Catenaccio against the better teams, relying on counter-attacks for offense!

They looked vulnerable to counter-attacks against Paraguay in the second half, and if Paraguay had any legs left they may have scored again. In reality their only real chances were on corners and free kicks. In the end Italy just had better/faster athletes IMO.
But they were very flat in the first half!

pino
15th June 2010, 19:06
Don't you think this is typical Team Italy Football.
They play below their ability against teams they should beat, and employ the
Catenaccio against the better teams, relying on counter-attacks for offense!

They looked vulnerable to counter-attacks against Paraguay in the second half, and if Paraguay had any legs left they may have scored again. In reality their only real chances were on corners and free kicks. In the end Italy just had better/faster athletes IMO.
But they were very flat in the first half!

Yes normally Italy preferes to let the opponents attack us and then counter attack them, unless we absolutely need to win the match. As for Paraguay, it looks like the most of you have forgotten how strong they are and how easy they've qualified them self to this World Cup, against big squad like Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay etc...Also don't forget that Italy always starts very slow, and in Italy we say : Chi va piano, va sano e lontano :p :

Mark in Oshawa
15th June 2010, 19:13
I wont comment on Italy yesterday. They never start strong....but win somehow.

I really enjoyed the Ivory Coast vs Portugal. The Ivory Coast really had the pressure on..and I was hoping they would bag one before it ended...

Eki
15th June 2010, 19:21
Go North Korea!!!!

race aficionado
15th June 2010, 19:29
Go North Korea!!!!

Go Brazil!!!!

Tazio
15th June 2010, 19:32
Italy we say : Chi va piano, va sano e lontano :p :Si e:
il coltello si ri cercando è dietro di te :)

Brown, Jon Brow
15th June 2010, 20:30
I'm really impressed with that first half from North Korea. It was a masterclass of how to defend. Something the Brazilians should have learned how to do at the last World Cup *cough* (Roberto Carlos leaving Henry unmarked).

Tazio
15th June 2010, 20:53
Jeez! That was really slicing Ham! :eek: