PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the race: Spanish GP 2010

Dave B
9th May 2010, 15:01
Has to be Webber, doesn't it? Awesome in qualifying, faultless in the race, and a string of fastest laps.

Close second to Alonso, a gritty and determined drive to the podium, although probably a tad lucky to make it P2.

Honourable mention to Hamilton for working his way up to 2nd before his failure.

Daniel
9th May 2010, 15:02
Webber

F1boat
9th May 2010, 15:03
Mark very easily.

Robinho
9th May 2010, 15:14
couldn't argue against Webber, looked untouchable in Qually and the race, faultless.

Hamilton had done well to split the RBR's.

Algie i think did really well, despite taking Chandock out with a stupid manouvre, and in the points at home

Tazio
9th May 2010, 15:22
Has to be Webber, doesn't it? Awesome in qualifying, faultless in the race, and a string of fastest laps.

Close second to Alonso, a gritty and determined drive to the podium, although probably a tad lucky to make it P2.

Honourable mention to Hamilton for working his way up to 2nd before his failure. :up: Agreed!
Bad luck for "The Boss" he drove a very good race, and appeared to be managing his tires very well

Jake Stephens
9th May 2010, 15:30
Yup t'was Marky Boy

steveaki13
9th May 2010, 15:46
Again Mark easily.

Other mentions

Alonso *-2nd
Hamilton- should have been 2nd.
Schumacher - Good defending and a 4th place.
Sutil - 7th and more points
Barrichello - points from 18th.
Virgin - For both finishing.

Retro Formula 1
9th May 2010, 15:58
Can't see how to give it to anyone but Mark.

Hamilton and Alonso demonstrated why they are probably the 2 best drivers in the world at the moment.

Garry Walker
9th May 2010, 16:00
Webber

Tazio
9th May 2010, 16:15

UltimateDanGTR
9th May 2010, 16:29
Webber. I don't need to explin why.

markabilly
9th May 2010, 16:48
schuie

for showing nico what happens when lap dogs do not obey their master and forget their place

and donkey to hamilton for another "pit Exit" into vettel....BUT that exit was about the only thing exciting

SGWilko
9th May 2010, 17:02
schuie

for showing nico what happens when lap dogs do not obey their master and forget their place

and donkey to hamilton for another "pit Exit" into vettel....BUT that exit was about the only thing exciting

Does it say 'Give Way' at the end of the pit lane?

ioan
9th May 2010, 17:28
Hamilton for taking the fight to the faster Red Bulls.
Vettel for bringing home a car that has almost no braking capabilities left and driving only 2 seconds/lap slower than the competition during the process.

markabilly
9th May 2010, 17:53
Does it say 'Give Way' at the end of the pit lane?
Guess not. What they need is a sign in pitlane by his pitbox and one by the exit on the straight away, so when the stick man lifts, it comes on and flashes: "WARNING VETTEL WARNING, Hamilton is exiting the pits"

but then that might take away all the excitement and leave us nothing to pound on keyboards until the next race

rohanweb
9th May 2010, 19:00
Mark webber and Lewis Hamilton

Robinho
9th May 2010, 20:43
Guess not. What they need is a sign in pitlane by his pitbox and one by the exit on the straight away, so when the stick man lifts, it comes on and flashes: "WARNING VETTEL WARNING, Hamilton is exiting the pits"

but then that might take away all the excitement and leave us nothing to pound on keyboards until the next race

Hamilton was ahead of Vettel as he exited this week - the position was his to defend as long as he stayed inside the white line, which he did. both drivers had to contend with the lapped car. good driving all round (except the virgin really should not have been parked on the inside of the corner)

Mia 01
9th May 2010, 22:01
Adrian Sutil

Sonic
9th May 2010, 22:09
Some top draw performances today;

Mark - Obviously was A+ today.
Lewis - What a drive. Mature, fast............unrewarded.
Seb - To hold of Schu in a car without brakes! :eek:
Schu - Some perfect defensive driving.
Sutil - Who needs a top ten quali?

gm99
9th May 2010, 22:12
Honorable mention to Alguersari: Great start, nice move on Hülkenberg (not so great lapping of Chandhok, though). Overall, another well-deserved point for him today. The kid is really getting his act together this season (unlike his team-mate, I'm afraid to say).

Triumph
9th May 2010, 23:43
Mark Webber, Lewis Hamilton and Michael Schumacher.

:)

keysersoze
10th May 2010, 01:46
Webb-uh

Ent
10th May 2010, 02:31
Can't give it to Hamilton as he was pushing too hard with 2 laps to go with no chance of catching the car in front on very worn tyres (set fastest lap the previous lap), and we saw the result. He needs to learn to not throw it all away at the end (which he's also done at Monza) and I think that spoiled an otherwise excellent race.

Webber was obviously the standout, though good effort by Sutil and Barrichello as well.

Valve Bounce
10th May 2010, 03:18

Hey! you forgot the start and the way Mark protected his turf going into turn 1. That won him the race, don't you think?

airshifter
10th May 2010, 03:44
Some top draw performances today;

Mark - Obviously was A+ today.
Lewis - What a drive. Mature, fast............unrewarded.
Seb - To hold of Schu in a car without brakes! :eek:
Schu - Some perfect defensive driving.
Sutil - Who needs a top ten quali?

A good summary of the race. It had to be a real heart stopper for Vettel in those last laps trying to make it without brakes!

ST205GT4
10th May 2010, 03:44
Much as it sticks in my craw I'll have to give it to Schumacher.

Beautiful placement on the track time after time to keep in front of Button.

It was a good drive by Webber, but in all honesty all he had to do was win the first corner and then keep it on the island to win.

Ari
10th May 2010, 04:37
Webber for sure. Yes he was in the quickest car but he also did the business all weekend. Faultless. The pressure of being in the fastest car and having to perform would have been intense.

Mentions:

Schumacher. Great to see him keep his head at it and pick up a top result. Good for the sport that he finally gets one back on Rosberg.

Vettel: Ballsy effort to bring home a podium in a car about to fall apart with no brakes and locked front wing. WDC's are made of this kinda race. When it's all falling apart but you bring it home anyway.

i_max2k2
10th May 2010, 06:46
Webber - Great weekend, flawless performance all day, deserved win, Ham- Nice race till whatever happened in the end, Schumi - great to see him back fighting with a decent car, and holding off Button for 50 laps, so much better than trying to "break the ...".

Valve Bounce
10th May 2010, 07:06
Webber - Great weekend, flawless performance all day, deserved win, Ham- Nice race till whatever happened in the end, Schumi - great to see him back fighting with a decent car, and holding off Button for 50 laps, so much better than trying to "break the ...".

We should give Bunsen a mention you know; after all he drove a flawless race behind SchM.

DexDexter
10th May 2010, 08:01
Obviously Mark Webber.

SGWilko
10th May 2010, 08:56
Can't give it to Hamilton as he was pushing too hard with 2 laps to go with no chance of catching the car in front on very worn tyres (set fastest lap the previous lap), and we saw the result. He needs to learn to not throw it all away at the end (which he's also done at Monza) and I think that spoiled an otherwise excellent race.

Webber was obviously the standout, though good effort by Sutil and Barrichello as well.

Lets just say that the leading Red Bull develops an issue on the last lap - hydraulics/brakes whatever, Lewis would have had him as he was keeping the pressure on as much as possible.

In this game, if you ease up, you cannot maximise any opportunity.

Seriously, I'd rather see a driver give it his all 100% of the time, rather than play the numbers game.

This is what endeared Mansell to me and many others around the globe.

Big Ben
10th May 2010, 11:40
Whoever won. My f1 induced power nap made me groggy all afternoon. Perhaps it's time to find myself a new hobby. So who won?

SGWilko
10th May 2010, 11:46
Whoever won. My f1 induced power nap made me groggy all afternoon. Perhaps it's time to find myself a new hobby. So who won?

The winner.......

...back to sleep for eu methinks.... ;)

Ent
10th May 2010, 12:05
Rim failure.

Thanks. Hadn't heard that when I made my post.

jens
10th May 2010, 18:03
Webber had the fastest car, so I don't think he did anything that special that everyone should unequivocally nominate him as the Dotd, leaving others aside.

For me one of the standouts was Barrichello. Rubens managed to drive in a highly-criticized car, whose upgrades haven't work, close to 10 seconds of Schumacher's group for a large part of the race.

DexDexter
10th May 2010, 20:53
Webber had the fastest car, so I don't think he did anything that special that everyone should unequivocally nominate him as the Dotd, leaving others aside.

For me one of the standouts was Barrichello. Rubens managed to drive in a highly-criticized car, whose upgrades haven't work, close to 10 seconds of Schumacher's group for a large part of the race.

Well, Red Bull have had the fastest car all year and they haven't won that much so making the best use of the car by taking pole and winning the race in a convincing fashion makes him the driver of the race for me. It's not Mark's fault he had the best car. He used it to the maximum, plain and simple.

jens
10th May 2010, 21:00
Well, Red Bull have had the fastest car all year and they haven't won that much so making the best use of the car by taking pole and winning the race in a convincing fashion makes him the driver of the race for me. It's not Mark's fault he had the best car. He used it to the maximum, plain and simple.

It's not his fault sure, but why overlook the performances of other drivers, who apparently didn't have the best car? There is absolutely no point in the "driver of the race" thread if we always throw in the race winner without bothering to deepen into the issue. Might as well rename it as "oh btw, who won the race?" thread.

race_director
10th May 2010, 21:17
MSC for holding on and for showing his class one again . the way he was positioning his car into corners in front button at ever corner and controlling the pace.

Button was clearly atleast 0.5-1 sec faster than MSC. the precision with which he was blocking button every corner was amazing.

MSC knew exactly where jenson will try to attack him . that is what called talent. a sixth sense which not many racing drivers have .

Wondering what would have happened if he was driving for RBR this year ?

F1boat
10th May 2010, 21:27
MSC for holding on and for showing his class one again . the way he was positioning his car into corners in front button at ever corner and controlling the pace.

Button was clearly atleast 0.5-1 sec faster than MSC. the precision with which he was blocking button every corner was amazing.

MSC knew exactly where jenson will try to attack him . that is what called talent. a sixth sense which not many racing drivers have .

Well, 4 disappointing races and a win :) A bit like Webber...

ioan
10th May 2010, 22:14

How did you come to this conclusion?

race_director
10th May 2010, 22:33

Hey, MSC + ROSS THE BOSS . Never discount them easily . Mercedes has been the best team in terms of car updates in Spain . behind RBR may be . i am not counting VIRGINS new car with big tank and BMW SAUBER FERRARI burger deal, new tails lights, new motorhome all that . :)

while ever one was chasing behind front wings, f duct. all that . Mercedes was the only team to think out of the box and introduce the bigger wheel base. which has been very rewarding.

Never discount Ross .

F1boat
11th May 2010, 07:08
How did you come to this conclusion?

Because with mediocre car he had one great race, 1 OK and 3 bad. At the beginning of the season he was a bit rusty and had not influenced the car design. But I am optimistic for him after Barcelona, although its a strong track for him and we must wait and see what happens...

AndyL
11th May 2010, 10:47
It's not his fault sure, but why overlook the performances of other drivers, who apparently didn't have the best car? There is absolutely no point in the "driver of the race" thread if we always throw in the race winner without bothering to deepen into the issue. Might as well rename it as "oh btw, who won the race?" thread.

A good point well made; but on the other hand, it's often going to be the case that the guy who won the race did so by putting in a good performance. So inevitably some people are going to pick the winner as the driver of the race.
Personally I think Webber does deserve that title this time, mainly because of the way he beat Vettel both in qualy and the race. Even when Vettel was in clear air, Webber consistently had better pace.

Valve Bounce
11th May 2010, 11:01
A good point well made; but on the other hand, it's often going to be the case that the guy who won the race did so by putting in a good performance. So inevitably some people are going to pick the winner as the driver of the race.
Personally I think Webber does deserve that title this time, mainly because of the way he beat Vettel both in qualy and the race. Even when Vettel was in clear air, Webber consistently had better pace.

Well, you can also name Mark "Galah of F1". His publicist sent off an offer for Mark to help Victoria in driver safety issues, probably without his knowledge. Mark than goes on air to call not only Victoria but the whole of Australia a "Nanny State", then hung up on the talk show host.

wedge
11th May 2010, 14:02
Schumi - fantastic defensive driving just like yesteryear and not to mention he destroyed Nico for once.

Honourable mentions to Vettel and Button for driving their respective compromised cars and finishing in one piece, and some classy driving from Hamilton for over 2/3 of the race.

DexDexter
11th May 2010, 15:14

We all know that that kind of speed difference isn't enough for overtaking in normal circumstances. Schu drove well, but let's not overstate it.

ioan
11th May 2010, 19:16
Because with mediocre car he had one great race, 1 OK and 3 bad.

That clearly wasn't the case for Webber so it's not possible to draw parallels between the two of them.