PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari F-duct

AndyL
8th May 2010, 15:35
It was pretty clear in qualy that Alonso was blocking Ferrari's F-duct with the back of his left hand on the straights. At times he was also reaching across to adjust the brake bias with his right hand as well, leaving the wheel held in only the fingertips of his left hand. What are everyone's views on that? Seems a bit dicy to me. I can see them having problems with that on tracks that are more bumpy.

ioan
8th May 2010, 15:53
It was pretty clear in qualy that Alonso was blocking Ferrari's F-duct with the back of his left hand on the straights. At times he was also reaching across to adjust the brake bias with his right hand as well, leaving the wheel held in only the fingertips of his left hand. What are everyone's views on that? Seems a bit dicy to me. I can see them having problems with that on tracks that are more bumpy.

They will probably find a better solution on bumpy tracks.

Mysterious Rock
8th May 2010, 15:54
Its defo a scary point indeed, 190mph no hands and going into a braking zone, slight miss timing and ur off, infact Alonso was abit all over th shot trying to juggle the things in quali

jens
8th May 2010, 17:22
Maybe that's partly why Massa is so seriously underperforming - once again having adaptation issues, this time with an excessive one-handed driving. It too obviously looks like he is going to drop out of the title chase.

ArrowsFA1
8th May 2010, 19:31
Maybe that's partly why Massa is so seriously underperforming - once again having adaptation issues, this time with an excessive one-handed driving. It too obviously looks like he is going to drop out of the title chase.
According to Jonathan Legard:

Massa admits he´s been struggling since Bahrain. Car balance different. "Somethng´s happened to me, and I need to understand why."
http://twitter.com/legardj

Sonic
8th May 2010, 19:47
It certainly looks more complicated to operate than the McLaren system - however they are faster on the straights than anyone so perhaps its a more effective solution.

steveaki13
8th May 2010, 22:17
I was thinking it would cause problems for the drivers at Monaco but I suppose they won't use it as much around the twisting streets. Would that be the case?

SGWilko
8th May 2010, 22:20
I was thinking it would cause problems for the drivers at Monaco but I suppose they won't use it as much around the twisting streets. Would that be the case?

Probably not use it at all in Monaco. What does strike me though (apart from the wife) is what happens if a Ferrari tries to break a tow while adjusting the brake bias and shutting off the duct?

If Alonso manages to turn the wheel, will that make him a clever dick?

RMLCruzeing82
8th May 2010, 23:16
its crazy

Rodster
8th May 2010, 23:43

I'm no Alonso fan but it's pretty clear he is one hell of a race car driver. The only thing missing from that episode was juggling tennis balls while driving. He is the only driver I can think of on the grid that you can seriously handicap and he'll find a way to overcome it. That's what sets him apart from the rest.

harvick#1
8th May 2010, 23:59
ok, I'm basically retarded on this,

but what is the F-duct??? :confused:

I'm lost on this

Mysterious Rock
9th May 2010, 00:09
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_MP4-25

harvick#1
9th May 2010, 01:48
ty, now I understand it :)

Sonic
9th May 2010, 09:37
..... the only driver I can think of on the grid that you can seriously handicap and he'll find a way to overcome it. That's what sets him apart from the rest.

Whilst I do agree in principle - he is very adaptable - he's not been given a handicap, he's been given an advantage. Hell a lower formula driver has more work to do on a straight what with actually having to change gears and adjust brake bias and scroll through the dash information.

Mia 01
9th May 2010, 11:46
It seems as Ferrari has taken two steps backwards with their upgrades.

AndyL
9th May 2010, 15:07
I think Ferrari should have taken a leaf out of Mclarens book and gone with the left leg method in terms of ease of use.

I'm guessing they were limited by where the existing openings were in the homologated tub.

airshifter
10th May 2010, 04:21
I'm guessing they were limited by where the existing openings were in the homologated tub.

Good point. They have to work within what they have, or go through all the certification and crash testing again possibly.

It does seem like a strange way to do things... but then again moving your leg is strange too.

And for the record, Ferrari claims they have no "F-Duct". Their device is known as a "Blown Rear Wing" according to talk on the Speed coverage of the race. :)