PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ernie Harwell

dunes
8th May 2010, 06:16
A true sports icon. Even broadcasters from other parts of the world looked up to and copied his style of commintation.He was a very respected man in the world of sports and not just in Detroit nor baseball but all sports. He was loved by many and will be truely missed for a long time.

His last request was to lay in state outside of Comerica Park under his bronze statue for his fans and public to view one last time.

He was 92 and past from an inoperable type of cancer. He had known for a while; and was at peace with himself and his illness. He was honored wednesday at the 7th inning streach of the minn-det game in minn.He got to broadcast his last partial game earlier this season after he was diognosed with a tearful standing ovation from the crowd at Comerica park.A nicer and friendlier person in sports there has never been.

Mark in Oshawa
8th May 2010, 14:40
A true sports icon. Even broadcasters from other parts of the world looked up to and copied his style of commintation.He was a very respected man in the world of sports and not just in Detroit nor baseball but all sports. He was loved by many and will be truely missed for a long time.

His last request was to lay in state outside of Comerica Park under his bronze statue for his fans and public to view one last time.

He was 92 and past from an inoperable type of cancer. He had known for a while; and was at peace with himself and his illness. He was honored wednesday at the 7th inning streach of the minn-det game in minn.He got to broadcast his last partial game earlier this season after he was diognosed with a tearful standing ovation from the crowd at Comerica park.A nicer and friendlier person in sports there has never been.

You and I are likely the only ones on this board that care Swoop.....but if one loves baseball, you would find it hard to not love Ernie's broadcasts...

dunes
9th May 2010, 07:25
You and I are likely the only ones on this board that care Swoop.....but if one loves baseball, you would find it hard to not love Ernie's broadcasts...

Thanks for the comment. If they don't know of him, there the ones who missed out.

DavePI2
9th May 2010, 13:54
I was one of those who remember fondly listening to ernie and the tigers on my transistor under my pillow late at night. I went to the stadium thursday before the hockey game but the line was too long. That shows you how much people not just from Detroit but everyone loved him.

david

P.S. Nice tribute at the wings game thursday night.

Mark in Oshawa
9th May 2010, 14:44
I was one of those who remember fondly listening to ernie and the tigers on my transistor under my pillow late at night. I went to the stadium thursday before the hockey game but the line was too long. That shows you how much people not just from Detroit but everyone loved him.

david

P.S. Nice tribute at the wings game thursday night.

It is too bad in a sense though a restored or at least still functional Tiger Stadium wasn't available. That building is where I learned to appreciate the history of baseball and the world of listening to Ernie when I lived across the river in Windsor in the late 80's...

dunes
10th May 2010, 04:34
Cool The Marquee on Michigan and Trumbell with Ernies Bust embossed in the entrancway. That would sell. You ever thought of being an adman. Call it Ebbs field or Tiger stadium[Its the same place] its been Ernies house for many a year.