PDA

View Full Version : IRacing Indycar package

FormerFF
7th May 2010, 02:34
Out of the blue, someone called me trying to track down an old race car that my father once owned, which of course got me thinking about racing. One thing led to another, and I wound up at the IRacing site. I see that they are offering a three month membership, IMS, and the Dallara for $32. It sounds kind of interesting. Is anyone here doing IRacing?

TURN3
7th May 2010, 04:47
Out of the blue, someone called me trying to track down an old race car that my father once owned, which of course got me thinking about racing. One thing led to another, and I wound up at the IRacing site. I see that they are offering a three month membership, IMS, and the Dallara for $32. It sounds kind of interesting. Is anyone here doing IRacing?

Yes, it is awesome in my opinion. It isn't cheap but it really depends on how fast you move up the ranks. To get to Indycar, you have to be a class A road course license which will take weeks/months. That means you'll only be able to use your Indycar in "Hosted" sessions which don't count toward anything, just entertainment. There are plenty of those sessions and you can create your own for others to join too. There is also a virtual Indy 500 coming up later this month and you'd be elibible for that regardless of license. You'll need to work setups just like the real deal, some of these guys have already been working for weeks on theirs. I'd give it a high referral.

markabilly
7th May 2010, 04:47
sounds like kinda spam city.....

TURN3
7th May 2010, 04:51

Sounds like you've really done some research to make a post. Have you ever posted anything positive? Just curious because reading other threads it sure seems you're a glass half empty sorta person. They have things like Zimbata to help if you need happiness in life.

markabilly
7th May 2010, 09:53
Sounds like you've really done some research to make a post. Have you ever posted anything positive? Just curious because reading other threads it sure seems you're a glass half empty sorta person. They have things like Zimbata to help if you need happiness in life.
u r the one whose happiness in life is bashing the snot out of Danica, so I would say you are a glass is always completely empty kind of guy. Better triple your your Zimbata or whatever meds you need and play your games

markabilly
7th May 2010, 09:58
u r the one whose happiness in life is bashing the snot out of Danica, so I would say you are a glass is always completely empty kind of guy. Better triple your your Zimbata or whatever meds you need and play your games, would not do for you to be bored

Can we start a new thread on this topic? I'm bored and this is the most fun to talk about.

Great sig BTW

FormerFF
7th May 2010, 13:12
Yes, it is awesome in my opinion. It isn't cheap but it really depends on how fast you move up the ranks. To get to Indycar, you have to be a class A road course license which will take weeks/months. That means you'll only be able to use your Indycar in "Hosted" sessions which don't count toward anything, just entertainment. There are plenty of those sessions and you can create your own for others to join too. There is also a virtual Indy 500 coming up later this month and you'd be elibible for that regardless of license. You'll need to work setups just like the real deal, some of these guys have already been working for weeks on theirs. I'd give it a high referral.

Thanks for the review. I'm going to subscribe to IRacing, but I'm going to wait a month or so, I've got four pretty substantial projects I've need to finish around the house before I can devote any time to this. As an SCCA member, I can get the first year for $49, so that's what I'll do.

FormerFF
7th May 2010, 13:14

Yeah, I joined this forum eight years ago and have posted regularly on this forum just so I could spam this RACING forum by asking if anyone here had any experience with a RACING simulator. Go figure.

TURN3
7th May 2010, 16:40
u r the one whose happiness in life is bashing the snot out of Danica, so I would say you are a glass is always completely empty kind of guy. Better triple your your Zimbata or whatever meds you need and play your games, would not do for you to be bored

Great sig BTW

Actually I've not been able to get a doc to give me a prescrip...dang! Not sure how bashing Danica, using facts and obvious observations makes me negative. I guess if the truth hurts I see your point. But, interesting that you have zero optimism on anything in this entire forum and you bash an iRacing thread where you basically said in about 5 words you know nothing about it. I don't really comment on your posts at all because you're one of about 3 guys that isn't really even worth the effort but it caught me that you're so in dire need of attention that you'd even comment on something you don't know about. "Sounds like spam...." What? Maybe check out the back page of your local underground publication. LOL!

Anyway, the simulation is a fun deal. Hope to run against some of you that give it a whirl. That is...those that have taken their meds and aren't on suicide watch.

bblocker68
7th May 2010, 16:48
If you guys get in, look me up. I've been on since the Beta.

The car at Indy is a lot of work. You really have to "Use your tools" when getting through a full fuel run. There is a Indy500 project setup in the Dallara forum over there to get you comfortable with the car. It's not the fastest, but it works well in traffic. The car is pretty dynamic and changes through a fuel run and handling is pretty realistic while in traffic. The car feels competely different from being behind a car, compared to being in front of one, ESPECIALLY at Indy.

They also have a "Fast Track" program that speeds you through the licensing process if you can keep from making contact with other cars or running off the track.

There are Hosted races nightly and a good handful of leagues for the IndyCar.

TURN3
7th May 2010, 18:13
If you guys get in, look me up. I've been on since the Beta.

The car at Indy is a lot of work. You really have to "Use your tools" when getting through a full fuel run. There is a Indy500 project setup in the Dallara forum over there to get you comfortable with the car. It's not the fastest, but it works well in traffic. The car is pretty dynamic and changes through a fuel run and handling is pretty realistic while in traffic. The car feels competely different from being behind a car, compared to being in front of one, ESPECIALLY at Indy.

They also have a "Fast Track" program that speeds you through the licensing process if you can keep from making contact with other cars or running off the track.

There are Hosted races nightly and a good handful of leagues for the IndyCar.

bb...you know what gets me about the Dallara is that the setup requires spring rates so far from realistic that it changes the dynamics. Instead of stiff springs where ride heights move slightly under aero downforce, currently you have to allow for softer springs where the downforce at speed compresses them significantly to get the undertray downforce effects to work to their max. A couple of the real Indycar guys have expressed some thoughts about this...I'm having a hard time setting it up for ovals where I can reduce the drag.

That is also what is fun about the sim IMO though...this isn't a Playstation game, it has compliated mathmateical models and actual drivers you race against claim it is as close to real as you can get. You really have to test and feel, actually engineer the car. No wonder Danica doesn't use it as has been suggested to her by Tony Eury and others.

FormerFF
8th May 2010, 15:01
I'll look you guys up when I get oin. That will probably next month.