PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes to run very innovative new Engine cover with no roll-hoop airbox!

Giuseppe F1
6th May 2010, 15:46
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83340

http://cdn.images.autosport.com/editorial/1273152391.jpg

Sonic
6th May 2010, 15:50
Odd looking beast. Reminds me a little of a williams - circa 1990. I hope it doesn't catch on, as it not exactly pleasing to the eye.

I wonder what the reasoning behind the redesign? Something to do with airflow to their new f duct do-hicky?

V12
6th May 2010, 15:54
Not the most beautiful thing ever but it's always good to see someone trying something different :up:

Giuseppe F1
6th May 2010, 16:29
Surely the airbox is a homolgated part of the chassis/monocoque as it forms part of the rool-hoop crash structure, no? and so cannot be changed so radically as this?

V12
6th May 2010, 17:27
I don't think the roll hoop itself has changed though, not sure but the "old" Mercedes airbox looked like it was split in two as this roll hoop would do, so that's probably why they can do it.

In any case this homologation thing needs to go away, it's as bad as the engine freeze.

AndyL
6th May 2010, 17:31
I don't think the roll hoop itself has changed though, not sure but the "old" Mercedes airbox looked like it was split in two as this roll hoop would do, so that's probably why they can do it.

Exactly, in the original design they had already taken the step of separating the roll structure from the airbox, to enable them to make changes like this.

UltimateDanGTR
6th May 2010, 17:45
ooh, slightly ugly design but rather innovative-it will be interesting to see how this gets on.

aah, this is what F1 is about.

christophulus
6th May 2010, 18:46
In any case this homologation thing needs to go away, it's as bad as the engine freeze.

Indeed, it's rather hard to argue that it should stay when one of the 'poorest' teams has been allowed to completely redesign their chassis to fit in a large fuel tank, and Renault and Ferrari have been able to change their engines again.

i_max2k2
6th May 2010, 19:09
Just looking at it, it seems its lower than usual, wont the Drivers helmet interfere with the air flow?

ArrowsFA1
6th May 2010, 19:39
Vive la différence :s mokin:

Valve Bounce
7th May 2010, 00:38
Looks like some sort of robot sitting in the back seat. :p :

Big Ben
7th May 2010, 07:41
After this they will present the new slimmer helmets and they will modify the driver's heads to fit in. Than maybe they'll add some little wings to them and the f duct will be incorporated to the helmets somehow. The drivers will use their tongues to make it work.

V12
7th May 2010, 10:31
I think the one positive of the rule changes of the past two years (since I don't give a stuff about cost saving and not really fussed about overtaking) is the fact that all the cars now do kind of look different, it's not as good as the 70s when you had all sorts of shapes, but if you painted all the cars white and had to try tell them apart you could do it much easier than you could in say, 2008.

jonny hurlock
7th May 2010, 13:39
looks like an 1970s mclaren m26 to me, like it

jens
7th May 2010, 18:50
Great to see a radical innovation. Never thought we would see such a change in the area of airbox, but there you go!

Mia 01
7th May 2010, 21:12
I´m sorry for Nico.

Roamy
7th May 2010, 22:10
Looks like some sort of robot sitting in the back seat. :p :
YEA THE TAD ROBOT :)

Somebody
8th May 2010, 13:58
Brundle made a good point about this "blade" rollbar - if a car went upside down on gravel or soft grass, it would be far more likely to embed than the conventional style...

ioan
8th May 2010, 14:20
Brundle made a good point about this "blade" rollbar - if a car went upside down on gravel or soft grass, it would be far more likely to embed than the conventional style...

What's important when it goes upside down is that that the roll bar protects the driver and there is no doubt it does.

Mia 01
17th July 2010, 13:48
Needs to throw out MS.

Copse
17th July 2010, 13:55
Needs to throw out MS.

???
Your post makes no sense, and seems to have nothing to do with the thread about the new Merc engine cover design. You really need to start writing full sentences if you want anybody to understand you, Mia.

Mia 01
17th July 2010, 14:06
???
Your post makes no sense, and seems to have nothing to do with the thread about the new Merc engine cover design. You really need to start writing full sentences if you want anybody to understand you, Mia.

I think you do.

ShiftingGears
17th July 2010, 16:40
I think you do.

Really? How old are you?

Mia 01
17th July 2010, 18:22
Really? How old are you?

Mercedes needs a better No2 driver.

Jag_Warrior
17th July 2010, 18:55
For the love of... :rolleyes: