PDA

View Full Version : HRT to build own car in 2011

CNR
6th May 2010, 10:43
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/16105.html

The current car, commissioned by team founder Adrian Campos, has underperformed been heavily criticised so far this season. As a result, Kolles confirmed the termination of the contract of Italian constructor Dallara.
Kolles is also believed to be close to announcing a deal with a wind tunnel, so the team can develop the current chassis throughout 2010.

Retro Formula 1
6th May 2010, 11:26
After recent events, I think this split was on the cards.

Blancvino
6th May 2010, 13:38
After recent events, I think this split was on the cards.

Two bits says they do not answer the bell for 2011.

Sonic
6th May 2010, 15:20

Indeed. Getting a car off the shelf is one thing, building your own from the ground up is very, very hard - as Virgin have proved.

That said if Mr G Willis is still with them they've got half a chance.

christophulus
6th May 2010, 16:05
I still maintain that Dallara won't have put the maximum effort into designing and improving the car seems how they never knew whether the next cheque would bounce or not. Pretty risky to go it alone next year, depends entirely on whether the finances are really there or not.

UltimateDanGTR
6th May 2010, 17:51
tbh i sometimes wonder about dallara's design abilities.

how they could design such an ugly dog as the Indy Car is pretty special, and their concept for the new generation indy car just looks wierd and not realistic IMO.

having said this, they did an alright job on the GP2 car and at least the HRT looks good, maybe it would be better if payment was more assured from HRT.

Nikki Katz
6th May 2010, 18:41
I think that the GP2 team became successful around the time that it was sold - it just kept the name for a while longer.

I'm a little cautious of this, for some reason I've grown to quite like Hispania. They clearly have a bad car due to them buying it from someone else with not a great deal of interest in making it competitive, but at least that was affordable. I hope that some sponsor comes along to make this possible.

Having said that, I'd much rather lose HRT than Sauber...

DexDexter
6th May 2010, 19:07

Yep, that's very likely indeed since good results are out of the question with the current car and attracting sponsorship is going to be extremely difficult.

Saint Devote
7th May 2010, 03:00
Even if HRT eventually fold, the whole process of the new teams cannot be looked at as a failure.

This is all quite normal. A success rate of 50% then would be pretty good - if new ventures in the business world were this good it would be utterly amazing!!

So if it takes another season or even two more to fill the grid then that is still good.

I cant understand this "all or nothing" or ridiculously high level of expectation that is so prevalent.

The real world is not the movies and it often looks as if too many people, including media idiots - such as the editor of Autosport - cannot make the distinction between reality and pretense.

Its the same process that is fuelling the Schumacher criticism.

Rollo
7th May 2010, 03:39
What would be wrong with designing a car and subcontracting someone like Van Diemen or their parent Panoz to build the car for you?

As far as I know both the Panoz DP01 and Panoz DP09 have have 100% win records :D

Malbec
7th May 2010, 04:18
I still maintain that Dallara won't have put the maximum effort into designing and improving the car seems how they never knew whether the next cheque would bounce or not. Pretty risky to go it alone next year, depends entirely on whether the finances are really there or not.

Absolutely. Retaining Dallara and actually paying them for a full development programme might actually get some results. We can tell that the HRT project is already in financial difficulties by the fact that Dallara haven't developed a significant upgrade for Barcelona, they haven't been paid to do so.

If HRT do ditch Dallara I hope they have another good partner lined up. Epsilon Euskadi would be a natural tieup.

DexDexter
7th May 2010, 08:13
Absolutely. Retaining Dallara and actually paying them for a full development programme might actually get some results. We can tell that the HRT project is already in financial difficulties by the fact that Dallara haven't developed a significant upgrade for Barcelona, they haven't been paid to do so.

If HRT do ditch Dallara I hope they have another good partner lined up. Epsilon Euskadi would be a natural tieup.

I for one don't believe that these chassis manufacturers have the resources or knowledge to compete in F1 without hiring current F1 designers. Previous cases have shown that being a successful design company outside F1 doesn't really transfer into F1. The car could be a little better, I'm sure, but I don't see Dallara setting the world alight no matter how much they are paid.

V12
7th May 2010, 10:35
What would be wrong with designing a car and subcontracting someone like Van Diemen or their parent Panoz to build the car for you?

As far as I know both the Panoz DP01 and Panoz DP09 have have 100% win records :D

True, but bear in mind the Dallara GP2 car is also undefeated, since 2005! that must be one quick machine ;)

jens
7th May 2010, 18:23
I wonder where is the money coming from to start building cars from scratch? I suspect their "own-built" car could just be an upgraded Dallara... Well, something like STR did for this season, but at least they had a Red Bull car to work on.

Mia 01
7th May 2010, 21:52
Next year. I like that.

Nikki Katz
8th May 2010, 12:27
By the way, I wonder what's up with Senna. I did say that I thought he was overrated and inexperienced when he came into F1, but I also expected him to be regularly beating Chandhok. So far he's been slower in every session this weekend, and Chandhok missed the first session to give his seat to Klien, who was much faster than Senna. It's a bit disappointing.

ioan
8th May 2010, 15:26
Klien declared that the pace could be improved by 1 second/lap without major developments, only fine tuning the setup. This means that if Hispania went for experienced F1 drivers they would have been up there with the Virgins.