PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time you just went for a drive?

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd May 2010, 23:29
5U9I7QrpSkk

I remember seeing this advert a few years ago and it inspired me to go for a night drive. I want to do it again but I want to find a good drving road.

In this age of speed cameras and high fuel prices can you still get enjoyment from driving?

ioan
4th May 2010, 00:03
In this age of speed cameras and high fuel prices can you still get enjoyment from driving?

Yep, if you have a company car. :p

gloomyDAY
4th May 2010, 00:27
Sure! Gas prices aren't too bad.

My last night drive took me from my school (UC Irvine) to Huntington Beach. I just wanted to buy a new leash for my board, so what the hey! Took the scenic route.

Yep, if you have a company car. :p :up:

Daniel
4th May 2010, 01:28
Jon you whiner. If I want to go for a nice long drive it'll cost me £10 at the most.

Alfa Fan
4th May 2010, 01:37
Jon you whiner. If I want to go for a nice long drive it'll cost me £10 at the most.

Which to you might not be a lot of money. :rolleyes:

MrJan
4th May 2010, 11:44
Week before last I left work at 5 and drove up to Cheddar for a blat up the gorge and then a run through some tunnels in Bristol (part of an car club meeting). 200 miles and nigh on £45 later I was feeling pretty happy :D

I also find excuses to drive, the other day I went to watch Tiverton Town vs Exeter City (pretty much a yoof team of under-18s) which gave me a chance to have a quick run through some nice roads, and most Friday nights I take a trip to Sainsbury's for some beer but tell myself that it's not good to drive for less than 5 minutes so do about a 10 mile run just to get some heat in the engine :D

GridGirl
4th May 2010, 11:58
I suppose it depends on what you class as just going for a drive. Just driving for the sake of it or driving until you eventually find something you weren't intentionally looking for?

What I would class as just going for a drive usually usually falls into two catergories. It will either be a drive which will result in visiting local food shops, farm shops and generally coming home or eating local produce of some sort in whatever place we happen to be in or driving untill we eventually find somewhere or thing interesting to stop at. Personaly I could think of a million and one things to do before just going out for a drive for the sake of it. :s :p

555-04Q2
4th May 2010, 12:00
5U9I7QrpSkk

I remember seeing this advert a few years ago and it inspired me to go for a night drive. I want to do it again but I want to find a good drving road.

Every Sunday. I just drive for an hour or two with no particular destination in mind, just the fun that my car delivers during the trip.

BeansBeansBeans
4th May 2010, 12:04
Funnily enough I went out for three drivers this weekend. Once on Sunday night, for a final fling in my old car before selling it, and twice yesterday in the new car, firstly with the family and then on my own.

MrJan
4th May 2010, 12:18
Personaly I could think of a million and one things to do before just going out for a drive for the sake of it. :s :p

Really?! So you never just want to wind the windows down, open the sunroof and set off to find some twisty roads to enjoy? Weirdo :p : :D

ShiftingGears
4th May 2010, 12:23
Too long. Mazda 3's are great fun.

GridGirl
4th May 2010, 13:16
Really?! So you never just want to wind the windows down, open the sunroof and set off to find some twisty roads to enjoy? Weirdo :p : :D

I don't wind the windows down, and I don't have a sunroof. I do have air conditioning though. :p

I didn't say that I don't enjoy driving my car. I have fun in it from time to time but I don't purposely go out to drive my car just for the sake of driving it. I didn't think that that was something unusual but I'm begining to think I'm in the minority. :s :)

MrJan
4th May 2010, 13:59
I don't wind the windows down, and I don't have a sunroof. I do have air conditioning though. :p

I didn't say that I don't enjoy driving my car. I have fun in it from time to time but I don't purposely go out to drive my car just for the sake of driving it. I didn't think that that was something unusual but I'm begining to think I'm in the minority. :s :)

None of my mates drive that much and certainly don't get enjoyment from it, I just think it's weird that someone who is interested in cars doesn't even occasionally get the urge to go for a quick spin.

I do it to the extent that my car is completely uneconomical, fairly impractical and costs me more than I can afford yet I'm desperate to hold onto it because it's such great fun to take for a drive.

One day last year I set off across Dartmoor while it was sunny (not a cloud in the sky). I expected loads of traffic but the roads were virtually empty. I kept meaning to turn back (to get back in time for the FA Cup final) but every junction I came to I just had to drive on. Ended up doing 85 odd miles. The next day I went out again but heading towards Exmoor. I had a rough idea of where I wanted to go but ended up just turning randomly until I found a road I recognised and headed for home. By the time I'd been beer/food shopping an got home I'd been driving for 3 hours :eek: Strange how I can enjoy doing that but hate it when I have to do motorway miles.

CarlMetro
4th May 2010, 17:09
Not really just going for a drive but what I do tend to do is take different routes, sometimes taking another 20 or 30 miles to go from point A to point B.

Another thing which is becoming regular in my car is for my son to act as my sat-nav. If we approach a roundabout/T-junction then I will ask him "left, right or straight on?" Even if he's going to send me completely the wrong direction then I'll follow his guidance. We don't got too far away but it always makes him laugh, especially when he tries to immitate my Tom Tom by saying "go around the roundabout" so I go all the way around at least once :)

tannat
4th May 2010, 17:29
I'm planning a fun run for the local Porsche club and drove on some positively fab roads in East Tennessee-some corners with posted limits of 15mph...

No fear of speed cameras, and spring was in full swing

Heaven....

J4MIE
4th May 2010, 22:13
I love driving and often take detours but usually I am heading somewhere at the last minute so don't have any time to spare... Love doing it abroad though, brilliant fun :D

I have the commute into work nailed though, know which lane to take when and when to take shortcuts and when not to, and this afternoon happened to be following a police Jeep out of Edinburgh on the same road, made excellent progress until some woman pulled out right in front of me and then proceeded to stop and let another hundred or so cars in in front of her..... do people not have places to get to? :confused:

bluegem280
5th May 2010, 08:31
The car needs some engine tune-up, decent tires to make it certainly fits for the long trip. Yes, despite it costs considerable amount of money, besides for fuel, meal, souvenir etc, long drive gives me great excitement. I'd miss the moment and seem to make it twice a year or at least once a year.

The best time of it would be cloudy or light rain, I try to avoid sunny day unless if it crosses light forest with some trees in right and left of the road. Usually I try to arrange my time of long drive that sets me driving on alternative pathway in the morning or afternoon without too much pollutant from cars using the road. No air conditioning, just put the windows down. To cover the long distance night drive is unavoidable.Try to take a rest every 200 km at rest area or while refueling at gas station.

ArrowsFA1
5th May 2010, 12:49
Sometimes, although most of my time in the car is spent commuting and there's no enjoyment in that.

The last time I really went out for a drive just for the hell of it was soon after I'd bought my MX5. Sun out, roof down and just following the road where ever it took me. I was out for hours. Bliss :s mokin:

When I were a lad I remember Sundays as the day for going for a drive, whether it be in Dad's or Grandad's car. The family would set out, with picnic, for somewhere. Just a day out :) Of course, back then there were no such things as speed cameras and not much traffic either. Petrol was around 25p/gallon as well :eek:

dunes
7th May 2010, 03:02
Ironicly I drive a semi for a living so you'd think the last thing I'd do on my off time is drive. However I park my truck and get into my pickup and just head out,radio on windows down rear window open. No place in mind and no idea where i'll end up. sometimes i'm really surprised to find out how far or where i've ended up.200 miles later at a county fair and a motel after a club night at someones else birthday party at a local bar.That was a good night
It completely relaxes me to drive without a destination or restraints.

bluegem280
7th May 2010, 07:51
It sounds great, no place in mind where to go and where to stay overnight when get tired. Just pick a motel with small bar to help us relaxing before continuing the trip or going back to home if we feel we have covered distance far enough.

Driving around the city aimlessly is amusing. Together with friends have a lot of fun and laugh in the car, call at places all of us agree to have foods, back driving while discussing whatever we found anything funny during the drives. The most funny thing when it comes to the time we have to pay the bill for the food, any of us waited each other for the one who would want to pay it :D

ioan
7th May 2010, 18:51
Went for a 160km drive yesterday after work, something I rarely do, but it was worth it.

ShiftingGears
8th May 2010, 03:07
Drove to and from a party night. Driving through Turramurra when you're the only one on the road is quite nice. Very undulating and twisting.