PDA

View Full Version : Too fat to fight

fandango
1st May 2010, 11:01
From the BBC: "Rising rates of obesity among young Americans could undermine the future of the US military, two retired generals have warned.

More than a quarter of young Americans are now too fat to fight, they said."

Link here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8655651.stm

It seems like a sad reason to try to lose weight, but I suppose whatever gets people off the sofa. We've had the war on Drugs and the war on Terror, now what, the war on flab? Maybe Sumo will take off.

How are people going to get healthy? Will they ever? Any ideas?

Eki
1st May 2010, 20:40
I lost 14 kgs in about 5 months when I was in the army. From 88 kgs to 74 kgs. Lots of exercise and little of foul tasting food did the trick.

gloomyDAY
1st May 2010, 22:21
No surprise here. I've been hearing about this since my days as a wrestler. When I wanted to join the Army the recruiters would always bitch about how fat the majority of the kids were going into training. Even worse was the Marines because some of those fat kids couldn't get out of bootcamp because they couldn't do 3 pull-ups.

I think the Department of Defense should invest heavily in robot soldiers. That way it will be like playing Modern Warfare 2 for recruits. Couch potatoes join the military and defend your country!

fandango
1st May 2010, 23:06
'ave a tart! rather than Avatar :)

gloomyDAY
2nd May 2010, 00:21
I'm glad this is receiving more attention. The generals are thinking like generals, but at least they're spotlighting the right ways to correct obesity. Eating healthily requires a change in lifestyle, so both parents and schools need to adjust kids' diets.

I hope America doesn't open a 3rd front.

Rollo
3rd May 2010, 00:43
h-jy3OtZAss

Those stupid adverts down the side of this forum always seem to have that stupid tagline "One Rule:Obey", when in reality the above video sums it all up in two words...

EAT LESS.

fandango
3rd May 2010, 10:45
Eat less, indeed. If only it were so simple. Everyone is responsible for their own actions, but it's hard to eat correctly when there are armies of marketing people plotting to get you to give in to the temptation of ingesting all sorts ot s**te.

And the marketing obviously works....

BeansBeansBeans
3rd May 2010, 12:24
Eating less works but I don't have the willpower to implement it, so I decided to exercise more instead, which worked for me. I run 20 miles per week now.

markabilly
3rd May 2010, 14:08
funny how Britain, Spain and some other countries are so soooo worried about the state of the american fighting men......

Suppose they all get too fat to fight and die?? Oh lord, will these countries do?

Eki
3rd May 2010, 16:02
funny how Britain, Spain and some other countries are so soooo worried about the state of the american fighting men......

Suppose they all get too fat to fight and die?? Oh lord, will these countries do?
What, me worry? I thought it was good news. Just like I always read with pleasure about the deteriorating Russian military. The world doesn't need any "superpowers".

fandango
3rd May 2010, 16:12

I don't really understand what the point you're making is. Are you afraid of an invasion? The War Of The Wobblies?

I think it's a worldwide problem, brought on by a lifestyle in which the US leads the world. Spain is a few steps behind: People here are so sure that their Mediterranean diet is better that they are being duped into eating things that suddenly "become" part of that diet, and they seem easily taken in by the marketing.

What's interesting about this question is that if military generals are speaking out, then it's clearly getting to being a serious situation, no matter what your priorities.

markabilly
3rd May 2010, 16:38
I don't really understand what the point you're making is. Are you afraid of an invasion? The War Of The Wobblies?

I think it's a worldwide problem, brought on by a lifestyle in which the US leads the world. Spain is a few steps behind: People here are so sure that their Mediterranean diet is better that they are being duped into eating things that suddenly "become" part of that diet, and they seem easily taken in by the marketing.

What's interesting about this question is that if military generals are speaking out, then it's clearly getting to being a serious situation, no matter what your priorities.
I would explain it you, but after you failed to invite and pay my way to the Barcelona GP, well forget it... :s mokin:

Mark in Oshawa
3rd May 2010, 19:15
Well...I know I am Too FAT to fight; but that is ok, I think I am too old. Mind you..the Canadian Armed forces will take anyone who can meet the fitness test for entry into basic training...they cannot discriminate on age. Maybe I should just start going nuts...and get a job with the Military. At 45...I could be the world's oldest wet behind the ears officer!

Seriously tho I am trying to eat better. Some days are better than others, but I would have to go from my rather portly 140kg down to about 80 to 90 kg......

BeansBeansBeans
3rd May 2010, 20:03
If I lived in Canada I'd be about 350lbs. When I visited for a fortnight I reckon I put on 10lbs! There is so much good food over there. I find convenience food extremely hard to resist.

Eki
3rd May 2010, 21:24
Well...I know I am Too FAT to fight; but that is ok, I think I am too old. Mind you..the Canadian Armed forces will take anyone who can meet the fitness test for entry into basic training...they cannot discriminate on age. Maybe I should just start going nuts...and get a job with the Military. At 45...I could be the world's oldest wet behind the ears officer!

The Finnish military discriminate both on age and sex. If you're a male and can avoid them until you're 30, they won't take you. But once they get you, they keep the grunts in reserve until they are 50 and officers and non-commissioned officers until they are 60. Women can do voluntary military service if they're under 30. Under 18 year olds aren't also accepted into military service.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd May 2010, 21:30
If I lived in Canada I'd be about 350lbs. When I visited for a fortnight I reckon I put on 10lbs! There is so much good food over there. I find convenience food extremely hard to resist.

Ah, you would learn. We are leaner than our American cousins per capita, mind you not by much.

I find the hardest problem I have is just my personal tastes don't run to stuff that would keep me lean, but I am trying.

Roamy
4th May 2010, 01:36
What, me worry? I thought it was good news. Just like I always read with pleasure about the deteriorating Russian military. The world doesn't need any "superpowers".

yea the rifle and the bayonet are the only way to settle things.

markabilly
4th May 2010, 03:10
yea the rifle and the bayonet are the only way to settle things.
my point is that is a worry in some other countries, about americans getting too fat fight, since it is americans doing it for them....

Eki
4th May 2010, 06:14
my point is that is a worry in some other countries, about americans getting too fat fight, since it is americans doing it for them....
Nobody has asked them to. They have volunteered on their own.

fandango
4th May 2010, 19:51

Yeah, it's hard to find food that is both enjoyable to eat and good for you. The problem is keeping the balance, and all those ads are made to work on your weak points. I think that with all the marketing of bad food, we haven't got much of a chance, but how do you control all that? Or should it be controlled?