PDA

View Full Version : Rally Hall of Fame

DonJippo
30th April 2010, 22:58
As I was not able to find this from anywhere else I thought this one deserves its own thread..

RALLY HALL OF FAME HONOURS FOUR GREATS OF THE SPORT
Rally Hall of Fame was opened today in Finland with the induction of Erik Carlsson, Paddy Hopkirk, Rauno Aaltonen and Timo Mäkinen to its gallery. The theme behind these initial nominations is to focus on the period when rallying evolved into a top line sport. All honourees starred in an era when speed on special stages became decisive in achieving success.

Rally Hall of Fame is an initiative of Finland’s Automobile Sport Federation and Mobilia, the country’s national speciality museum of the automobile and transport. Nominations to the Hall of Fame are made by an international Committee. The members of the Committee are Kari O. Sohlberg (FASF Chairman), Michele Mouton (Chairman of FIA’s Women & Motor Sport Commission), Neil Duncanson (CEO of World Rally Championship promoter), Martin Holmes (journalist) and Pekka Honkanen (Director, Sports Museum
Foundation of Finland).

The principle of Rally Hall of Fame is to host an exhibition celebrating the careers of new inductees and also to keep material in custody for posterity. This together with archive material will form a collection that keeps growing with new nominations. Rally Hall of Fame is projected as a global institution and will reflect worldwide achievement in the sport of rallying.Full announcement here http://www.mobilia.fi/documents/MakinenAaltonenCarlssonjaHipkirkRallyHallofFameen. pdf

IMHO great choices by the committee :up:

BLOCKROCKS43
4th June 2010, 02:53
Colin McRae should be in the hall of fame he was one of the best he was a great driver it really stinks that he died in that helicopter accident http://grandprixinsider.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/colin-focuswrc-jump.jpg

janvanvurpa
4th June 2010, 06:55
Colin McRae should be in the hall of fame he was one of the best he was a great driver it really stinks that he died while doing aerobatics in deteriorating weather in in that helicopter that he was not licenced to be flying, and instead of just wrecking somebody else's car like he did a hundred times, killed 3 innocent people.

Have you considered using capitals, and commas and periods?
Makes it appear that you're older than 12 when we read things you write.
And since you brought up the unfortunate crash, read this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/fatal-helicopter-crash-rally-driver-had-no-pilots-licence-1608213.html
Fatal helicopter crash: rally driver had no pilot's licence

World rally champion, his 5-year-old son and two others died in accident

By Mark Hughes

Friday, 13 February 2009

From left, Colin McRae and his son Johnny were killed, leaving behind his wife, Alison. The crash happened after some 'extreme manoeuvres' had been flown

PA

From left, Colin McRae and his son Johnny were killed, leaving behind his wife, Alison. The crash happened after some 'extreme manoeuvres' had been flown

* Photos enlarge

The rally driver Colin McRae did not have a valid pilot's licence when the helicopter he was flying crashed into woods in Scotland, killing himself and his three passengers, an official accident report revealed yesterday.

[/b]And in the seconds before the fatal crash, the 39-year-old had broken flying regulations, flying too close to buildings and performing complex manoeuvres just 20ft from trees, the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) found.[/b]

The former world rally champion was flying with his five-year-old son, Johnny, and two friends, Ben Porcelli, six, and Graeme Duncan, 37. All four died instantly in the crash, in September 2007.

McRae's licence had expired in February 2005 – more than two years before the accident – and he had never applied to renew it, the AAIB report said.

It also revealed that, in the three years before the crash, McRae, had made 80 illegal flights in the helicopter when either his licence or type rating – a secondary document that allows pilots to fly certain types of aircraft – had expired.

The report singled out one occasion in March 2006 when McRae flew from Scotland to London. It pointed out that he knew his type rating had expired because the purpose of the flight was to meet an examiner to renew it.

The report also noted McRae, who had been flying helicopters since 2000, was "undertaking a demanding manoeuvre" shortly before the crash. But it added that "the cause of the accident was not positively determined".

Mark and Karen Porcelli, the parents of six-year-old Ben, said yesterday that McRae had taken "unnecessary risks" and that the accident was "completely avoidable". The report revealed much of the detail surrounding the crash and offered suggestions about what had happened. It said that at 2pm on 15 September 2007, McRae had flown the helicopter to a farm in Larkhall from his home in Lanark, eight miles away. Duncan filmed much of the journey on a camcorder which was recovered from the crash site. The flight took six minutes, during which McRae broke air regulations by flying too close to buildings.

After an hour at the farm, they took off again at 3pm. McRae performed several complex manoeuvres, flying within 20ft of trees and making the helicopter climb steeply at sharp altitudes out of a valley. The report says McRae's passengers appeared to enjoy the manoeuvres "with laughs and shouts audible on the video".

The investigators noted that the helicopter flew along a valley, which was not an obvious flight route between the destinations, but that it was chosen because it "presented an opportunity for the pilot to link together the manoeuvres previously flown and which were apparently enjoyed by his passengers".

Less than a minute after the camcorder had been turned off, the helicopter, which was close to the bottom of Mouse Water Valley, clipped a fir tree with its main rotor blade before crashing into an oak tree and bursting into flames. It was 150ft from the helipad at McRae's house, where it had been due to land.

The final moments of the flight were not recorded, but the report listed a number of possible scenarios that could have forced the crash. One is the possibility that the helicopter – a Eurocopter Squirrel – was affected by a phenomenon, known as servo transparency, which made it appear that the controls were jammed. Although no technical reason was found to explain the accident, "a technical fault, while considered unlikely, could not be ruled out entirely", the report said.

It also said that a birdstrike could not be ruled out, nor could the possibility that the camcorder was dropped and either interfered with the controls or distracted McRae at a critical moment. A post-mortem examination found that McRae was not under the influence of drugs and had not been drinking alcohol on the day of the crash.

McRae's father, Jimmy, said: "It has been confirmed by instructors, examiners and pilots with whom he flew, that Colin's skills as a helicopter pilot were of the highest order, and that makes it all better"

A little emphasis for those who will go cross-eyed with rage at any criticism of the person , not the rally driver..

The exploits of the rally driver, as exciting as they were once, do not mitigate his carelessness and fatal arrogance and responsibility for killing 3 people while showing off.

I'd say it disqualifies him as a Hall of Fame contender.

BLOCKROCKS43
4th June 2010, 12:41
That is very true, but just on how well he raced rally I think he should be in this hall of fame some of the stuff he did was amazing.

COD
4th June 2010, 13:18
Hall of Fame nominations are due to be made each year at Rally Finland. Two new members will be added each year (no new members this year though).

So there will most probably be a time, when McRae will get his nomination. As well the likes of Blomqvist, Mikkola, Rohrl, Tommi etc. etc.

turves
4th June 2010, 15:51
Hall of Fame nominations are due to be made each year at Rally Finland. Two new members will be added each year (no new members this year though).

So there will most probably be a time, when McRae will get his nomination. As well the likes of Blomqvist, Mikkola, Rohrl, Tommi etc. etc.

At just 2 a year it will take forever, just to put all the Finns in. Michelle Mouton would be my next nomination with Ari

BLOCKROCKS43
4th June 2010, 20:54
Your right McRae should get put into the hall of fame he was great

BLOCKROCKS43
4th June 2010, 20:55
COD is right McRae should get put into the hall of fame like I said.

ShiftingGears
5th June 2010, 06:03
I'd say it disqualifies him as a Hall of Fame contender.

Absolutely not.

BLOCKROCKS43
5th June 2010, 13:09
Thank you theugsquirrel! Just because Colin did some stupid thing doesn't matter. Colin's driving skills were awesome he deserves to be put in the rally hall of fame!

COD
5th June 2010, 15:01
At just 2 a year it will take forever, just to put all the Finns in. Michelle Mouton would be my next nomination with Ari

Michelle is actually a member of the board that makes the nominations. So probably she will not nominate herself in the near future :laugh:

Barreis
5th June 2010, 15:19
Colin McRae should be in the hall of fame he was one of the best he was a great driver it really stinks that he died in that helicopter accident http://grandprixinsider.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/colin-focuswrc-jump.jpg

Rollin' Colin and empty space for 100 meters and then others..

BLOCKROCKS43
5th June 2010, 15:35
Colin RULES!!!!!!! :D

Simmi
5th June 2010, 15:41
I imagine McRae will probably be inducted on the tenth anniversary of his death. That's what I'd do.

The whole HoF process should take a while. That's kind of the point. Hopefully we will still have a world championship when it is time for Loeb and Gronholm to go in.

N.O.T
5th June 2010, 19:05
as far as they keep the biggest fraud Biasion out of that list i think we can call it legitimate

Langdale Forest
5th June 2010, 19:12
as far as they keep the biggest fraud Biasion out of that list i think we can call it legitimate

You seem to have a passion for diminishing WRC champions.

noel157
5th June 2010, 23:30

OK, tell us about Miki's problems as you see them.

Rallyper
6th June 2010, 16:16
Björn Waldegård or Bjorn Waldegard!! :) :)

Tomi
6th June 2010, 16:25
Björn Waldegård or Bjorn Waldegard!! :) :)

My guess is that Waldegård and Mikkola will be the next ones, and that they keep high level in who they nominate.

WRCfan
7th June 2010, 03:52
Waldegard and Mikkola, followed by Vatanen for sure!
Carlos Sainz and Juha Kankkunen to follow.

pino
7th June 2010, 06:59
Waldegard and Mikkola, followed by Vatanen for sure!
Carlos Sainz and Juha Kankkunen to follow.

Agreed but let's not forget Colin McRae :up: :D

Mitch555
7th June 2010, 10:28
Lets hope the Hall of Fame doesn't turn into the Drivers' Hall of Fame. It is interesting so far that people only listed drivers for their nominations. Rallying goes a lot further than that. Co-Drivers, Manufacturers, Clerk's of Course, Motor Clubs like ACM and RAC, Sponsors, Officials and the Media have all contributed amazingly over the years, and what a kick in the face it would be if these people were not recognised.

And whoever questions Colin McRae's ability to match the criteria to be a member of the Hall of Fame, take a long hard look at yourself. Not only did he win the World Championship in 1995 and came close many other times, his service outside of driving is outstanding. His work through the media has really evolved rallying and helped get many more people interested, especially through his games. If I asked any of my non-rallying friends if they know anyone, they know Colin McRae. Even after his passing, his talent and charisma will always be remembered.

If anything, the criterion for induction into the hall of fame should be partially shaped on Colin's career. Not only was he a great competitor, but he gave back to the rallying community, which is his greatest feature.

WRCfan
7th June 2010, 10:46
I vote in Oliver Quesnel for the hall of fame now. Because he has a dapper red jumper at the events and sounds French.

BLOCKROCKS43
8th June 2010, 02:46
K then going on Mitch555's post i would also vote Alex Gelsomino but his career isn't over yet.

sollitt
8th June 2010, 05:00
Lets hope the Hall of Fame doesn't turn into the Drivers' Hall of Fame. It is interesting so far that people only listed drivers for their nominations. Rallying goes a lot further than that. Co-Drivers, Manufacturers, Clerk's of Course, Motor Clubs like ACM and RAC, Sponsors, Officials and the Media have all contributed amazingly over the years, and what a kick in the face it would be if these people were not recognised. Absolutely. I would expect to see Henry Liddon & Martin Holmes. Peter Ashcroft & Ove Andersson. Maybe even Jean Todt himself.

If anything, the criterion for induction into the hall of fame should be partially shaped on Colin's career. Bollocks. He was a hard charger for sure and great entertainment. It could be argued that his Playstation games put modern rallying into the living rooms of the unconverted. But, whether or not you think he should be included, it's nonsense to suggest that the criteria be written around him. And there are many who should be inducted before him ... Mikkola, Waldegaard, Blomquist, Vatanen, Alen, Frequelin, Ragnotti, Rhorl, Darniche, .... .... ....

I am evil Homer
8th June 2010, 09:57
It has to include co-drivers and those who helped shaped the sport. In terms of drivers I would like to see Paddy Hopkirk and Erik Carlsson included

Mitch555
8th June 2010, 10:06
Bollocks. He was a hard charger for sure and great entertainment. It could be argued that his Playstation games put modern rallying into the living rooms of the unconverted. But, whether or not you think he should be included, it's nonsense to suggest that the criteria be written around him. And there are many who should be inducted before him ... Mikkola, Waldegaard, Blomquist, Vatanen, Alen, Frequelin, Ragnotti, Rhorl, Darniche, .... .... ....

I didnt specifically mean to say the criteria be written around him (I'm not a Colin McRae = God, person), but I think giving back to the sport should be a criteria. Its all good and well to be a good driver, but I like people who give back to the sport which made them great.

I think of Clerks of Course, Administrators, Co-Drivers, Team Principals, Engineers, Media Personnel... You wouldn't induct Guy Frequelin, Ove Andersson, David Richards or Jean Todt on their competing talent alone because that is only half their story.

COD
9th June 2010, 10:03
The hall of fame has stated in their press release, that this not for drivers only, but as suggested here, it can include any people that have had great influence in the sport.

OldF
11th January 2011, 22:05
Ari Vatanen

http://www.wrc.com/video/browse-all/video-drivers-hall-of-fame-ari-vatanen/?vid=1951

But this is also good. Haven’t heard before pace notes what is on this video at about 1:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwvIRuCLbyg