PDA

View Full Version : The Eagles of Hornby Island.

Mark in Oshawa
30th April 2010, 22:16
http://www.wildearth.tv/web/dch-hornby-01

This page links you to a webcam in an Eagle's nest on British Columbia's Hornby island in the Strait of Juan De Fuca. Yesterday we saw an eaglet born live...and for some reason it makes you appreciate nature to see ma an pa eagle tending to their little one. One egg hasn't hatched...not sure if it even will...but it is interesting to watch the eagles in their habitat. The Cam is on all the time of course, but doesn't move. That said, half the people I know seem to check on the eagles from time to time and I succumbed and now I do it too. Silly? Maybe...

Anyhow...for those wanting to see them during the day, because there is no light at night trust me, remember this is Pacific Daylight time...or 8 hours or so WEST of Greenwich Mean Time....so those in the UK will have to wait til about 2 in the afternoon for the sunrise in BC to view. Figure it out accordingly I guess...

fandango
30th April 2010, 23:32
Nice. Eagles have such amazing vision you feel like it's they who are watching you!

Mark in Oshawa
30th April 2010, 23:38
Nice. Eagles have such amazing vision you feel like it's they who are watching you!

There were times I swore they were looking right into the camera...as if they knew...

Roamy
1st May 2010, 00:03
Mark - have you ever been to Hornby Island??

Hondo
1st May 2010, 01:11
There were times I swore they were looking right into the camera...as if they knew...
Of course they know....that's why they don't live in town. It's pretty cool, thanks Mark.

1st May 2010, 12:45
I use nearly all my monthly broadband data allowance watching live cams. Hornby Is, Dettenheim stork nest (5 young chicks there), Djuma Game Reserve - there's a cam on the game drive vehicles and the driver gives a commentary along the way. They also have a cam at the water hole. Petes Pond Botswana was fantastic but their full time cam operator has left and they have funding issues. zaplive.tv has links to a lot of wildlife cams. I have to keep little notes on my desk with the time differences of all the cams I watch. Hornby is 19 hours behind N.Z.

EuroTroll
1st May 2010, 16:01
For those interested, some Estonian live cams can be found here: http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/

Different eagles and other birds, the gray seal, wild boar.

Mark in Oshawa
4th May 2010, 07:41
Mark - have you ever been to Hornby Island??

No sir....I have been to BC a few times but never got into the Gulf Islands or over to Vancouver Island.....