PDA

View Full Version : Design your own regulations

Brown, Jon Brow
30th April 2010, 20:46
If you were in charge of the BTCC or WTCC what technical specifications would you use?

Would you stick with 2litres or go with something more like the DTM?
Would you allow R/wd and 4/wd?
Would you allow aero modifications such as splitters and wings?

Also, what would your race meetings be like? One long race, sprint races or something else?

trebor901
30th April 2010, 22:39
i'd have the cars looking as they do in super 2000 spec atm and have 2litres and 1.6 turbo's then equal them out so the 1.6's were competitive then you could have more scope of manufacturers to enter

AndyRAC
30th April 2010, 22:40
Well I'd ban FWD - Proper Racing cars are RWD!! But that'll never happen.

Personally, I prefer the DTM/V8 type of cars. But I wouldn't allow the winglets that the DTM cars have.
I'd have a sprint race and a feature race - and a double points race at the BritishGP meeting. Again, that won't happen.

But I would clamp down on driving standards - barging people out of the way isn't Motor Racing - it's dodgems!!

racer69
1st May 2010, 05:57
Group A regs, but ban the "homologation specials" & up the turbo equivalency factor to x2.1 or perhaps higher, the keep the NA cars in the hunt.

UltimateDanGTR
1st May 2010, 08:02
i already like the NGTC regs, so I'd stick with them for the BTCC. STCC and WTCC should also use them i think.

VkmSpouge
1st May 2010, 11:07
I think I would keep with NGTC since it is pretty much what I want from touring cars; saloons, 2 litre engines and relatively cheap. Nice cheap regulations should attract more entries and hopefully encourage more manufacturers and privateers to enter.

norwichsam1
1st May 2010, 19:02
Can't see more manufacturers entering just because of cheap regulations. Surely they want to be associated with something a bit more high-tech these days (hence bmw seeming to be moving away from 2 litre touring cars and into DTM territory) or even sportscars.
I think they days of fully manufacturer backed touring cars is over, for now at least. Maybe a few more manufacturer or dealer supported teams, tied in with a decent sponsorship package such as what Chevrolet are doing this year. But crowds of just 10,000 such as last week at rockingham aren't going to help.

I think the crowds would def come back if touring cars went back to being much more spectacular. Noisy, hard to handle and much faster than the current breed. NGTC is def a step in the right direction but how I wish Andy Rouse's ill fated SCV8 series could have been the future of the BTCC, now those cars were going to be awesome! Mind you they would prob have scared the manufacturers away as they didn't look like they had too much in the way of 'green' credentials!

RMLCruzeing82
2nd May 2010, 02:49
I wish Andy Rouse's ill fated SCV8 series could have been the future of the BTCC, now those cars were going to be awesome! Mind you they would prob have scared the manufacturers away as they didn't look like they had too much in the way of 'green' credentials!

yeah i think they would of been awesome

Rollo
3rd May 2010, 02:21
I'd want to design regulations that look at the outputs rather than how you arrived there.

I'd start with a touring car, based off the shell and floorpan of a production model of which more than 5000 had been built and which the standard car retails for less than £20,000.

I don't really care about the dimensions of the car, other than to say:
Length 4000mm - 5000mm
Width 1500mm - 1900mm
Weight (dry) 1000kg - 1500kg
Maximum Power (measured by de Prony brake) - 450bhp

I'd have some regulations about suspension settings based on the current DTM, and there'd be a common set of front and rear splitters, and a standard rear wing, which would be scalable according to the donor car, but apart from that I don't much care.

I figure that 450bhp ought to be enough for anyone, how you get there is entirely up to you. There would be no limit on engine capacity, or how many turbochargers you wanted to jam into the car, nor would I care how many wheels you wanted to drive.

Basically if you could do insane things to an Mitsubishi Evo, I don't see why it shouldn't compete on equal power terms to a Mercedes CLK or a Holden Commodore.

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd May 2010, 21:04
I would make it compulsory for all cars to have a maximum of one windscreen wiper.

Captain VXR
4th May 2010, 20:32
Engines are free choice, power and torque limits 450bhp and 450nm for 2wd, and 400bhp and 400nm 4wd

Maybe an ultimate class with power limits at 1000bhp?
It is relatively easy to get Skylines, Monaros, Evos, Mustangs etc to that sort of power

NaBUru38
5th May 2010, 00:05
Argentine TC2000s with true production-based engines (now they are spec) would be perfect.

Eurotech
12th May 2010, 18:24
I'd say S2000 cars but with an Aston Martin 6.0L V12 or a Corvette 7.2L V8 slotted into the middle instead of a 4cyl 2.0L sitting in the front :D (Oh well, we can always dream...)