PDA

View Full Version : Andretti Autosport Signs Adam Carroll

DanicaFan
29th April 2010, 21:00
Andretti Autosport has signed Adam Carroll, 27 year old, to drive a limited schedule of races in the IndyCar Series for the 2nd half of the season. Carroll won the 2008-2009 A1GP World Title for Team Ireland. Carroll has driven in Formula Renault Campus, Formula Ford, Formula 3, GP2, and A1GP race series.

His schedule and car assignment will be announced later.

SarahFan
29th April 2010, 21:02
Andretti Autosport has signed Adam Carroll, 27 year old, to drive a limited schedule of races in the IndyCar Series for the 2nd half of the season. Carroll won the 2008-2009 A1GP World Title for Team Ireland. Carroll has driven in Formula Renault Campus, Formula Ford, Formula 3, GP2, and A1GP race series.

you were a few minutes slow on this one....

what are the stakes for our bet?

Chris R
29th April 2010, 22:23
so how many cars does Andretti own?? This is shades of the NASCAR guys JD Stacy and Warner Hodgden from the 1980's - they went hog wild with lots of cars and then vanished/went broke or something....

The team currently has 1 really good driver who is in the prime of his career (Hunter-Reay). One really good driver in the twilight (Kanaan). 1 average guy who happens to be family and one average girl who is probably bringing more money to the team than the rest put together... So who are they going to get rid of and if they are keeping them all, how are they going to be competitive???? To top it off, I don't see what Carroll bring to the table for the team unless it is money..... (not like he is bad but he is no better than the first two and does not have the assets of the second two...)

DanicaFan
29th April 2010, 23:36
you were a few minutes slow on this one....

what are the stakes for our bet?

Sorry, I would of posted this earlier but I work 3rd shift, just woke up, turned my cell phone on and I got a text about this so I posted it.

Are we betting that Danica wins the oval championship, correct ?

TURN3
29th April 2010, 23:50

No, you are. Every single other human being on Earth is betting she won't and won't even come close.

beachgirl
30th April 2010, 00:17
I'll bet it'll be one of the "7"s - 7 or 37. However, my bet really leans heavily toward the 7.....

SarahFan
30th April 2010, 00:27
Sorry, I would of posted this earlier but I work 3rd shift, just woke up, turned my cell phone on and I got a text about this so I posted it.

That's what you said.... What are the stakes

SarahFan
30th April 2010, 00:45
I'll bet it'll be one of the "7"s - 7 or 37. However, my bet really leans heavily toward the 7.....

Are you saying you would also like to bet that Danica will win the oval championship?

TURN3
30th April 2010, 01:05
Ken I think what she "might" be saying is that Danica could be on her way out after Indy and on to do NASCAR full-time. Personally, I can't see this happening but you sort of have to wonder with the combo or her reallybeing interested in her brand coupled with her being exposed as a fraud.

beachgirl
30th April 2010, 01:28
Are you saying you would also like to bet that Danica will win the oval championship?

Uh, no. Not in this lifetime. I was betting on who Adam Carroll will be replacing. :)

harvick#1
30th April 2010, 02:08

dude you must be on crack, shes gonna dominate the ovals this time, oh wait this sounds like Chicago Cubs fans :laugh:

Scotty G.
30th April 2010, 02:34
Ken I think what she "might" be saying is that Danica could be on her way out after Indy and on to do NASCAR full-time. Personally, I can't see this happening but you sort of have to wonder with the combo or her reallybeing interested in her brand coupled with her being exposed as a fraud.

I would not be surprised at all, if this has been the plan all along. Also would make sense with how "uninterested" she has seemed about Indy Cars this year (and its not just because she sucks on road/street courses. She wasn't this bad the past 2 years).

Go Daddy could give a rats ass about Indy Car. They want Danica ASAP in a stock car, whether she finishes 9 laps down in every race or not. The longer she waits to commit full-time to stock cars, the less chance she has of ever becoming even competent. And the clock on her racing career is ticking.... She is getting close to 30 now. That is pretty old, to be "starting" your stock car career.

Would not shock me at all, if the only 4 Indy Car races left on Danica's schedule in the next 2 years, will be Kansas (twice; this year and next as a warm up for Indy) and Indy this year and next.

bzcam
30th April 2010, 02:48

Great, another foreigner. I'll bet he'll really help pack in the crowds at the US venues.

Where are the American open wheel drivers?

BZ

Chamoo
30th April 2010, 03:15
RHR is out of a ride unless more money can be found past Texas.

Danica has been rumored to be trying to get out of her contract this year.

TK is signed to a 5 year deal (this being year number 2 I believe).

Marco isn't going anywhere.

So either, Adam runs a fifth car at selected events, Danica leaves and he fills the number 7 car full time, or RHR leaves and he fills the number 37 car.

harvick#1
30th April 2010, 03:20

in Nascar.

BAAAAZING!!!!!! :laugh:

markabilly
30th April 2010, 03:59
Great, another foreigner. I'll bet he'll really help pack in the crowds at the US venues.

BZ

in Nascar.

BAAAAZING!!!!!! :laugh:

Sad, so sad.......adam whoever......so what is Rahal, jr, to do?

bzcam
30th April 2010, 04:17
in Nascar.

NASCAR - the professional wrestling of auto racing.

BZ

Nikki Katz
30th April 2010, 08:51
Carroll's a great driver (A1GP champion, multiple GP2 race winner) and if he had more cash she should really be in F1 by now. I'm not too sure I get why they're adding a car for him when Hunter-Reay only has 2 races left on his current deal though, would prefer it to work things out with him first!

Andrewmcm
30th April 2010, 09:44
I read this as Adam dropping into RHR's car as and when RHR runs out of money.

beachgirl
30th April 2010, 12:29
Sad, so sad.......adam whoever......so what is Rahal, jr, to do?

If you would expand your racing interest horizons, you'd know exactly who Adam Carroll is. However, you won't expand that horizon. THAT is what is truly sad, so sad.

As much as I would like to see Rahal Jr. in a car, Carroll is a superior talent. While some are bemoaning their American series going "down the tubes" with foreigners driving, those same people neglect to realize that the foreigners also bring fans to the sport. But I guess those fans don't count. They're not American. Even though they bring fan-money, and could fill seats in the stands.

I am evil Homer
30th April 2010, 14:01
Adam Carroll is a multiple winner across many formula of OWR....unlike say Danica Patrick. Very talented guy but another who just couldn't get a break and make it into F1.

SarahFan
30th April 2010, 15:05
I had no idea who this guy was.....bottomline for me is at the end of the day i simply dont have the time and energy to follow other racing series...

but it sounds like this might just have the goods..... a guy who has actually won races, what a concept.......a welcome addition the grid!

Scotty G.
30th April 2010, 15:52
1. If you would expand your racing interest horizons, you'd know exactly who Adam Carroll is. However, you won't expand that horizon. THAT is what is truly sad, so sad.

2. While some are bemoaning their American series going "down the tubes" with foreigners driving, those same people neglect to realize that the foreigners also bring fans to the sport.

1. Yep, its the fans fault for not being smart enough to follow A1GP (whatever the hell that was). The fans need to "expand their horizons". Funny stuff.

2. Yep, its going down the tubes. Been going that way since the early 90's. Why? Because guys like Mauricio Gugelmin, Bruno Junquiera, Mario Moraes and Adam Carroll came (and generally BOUGHT their way) into the sport instead of hiring the next generation (which we already LOST) of American open wheelers.

Foreigners don't bring squat to the sport in the form of fans. You see the TV ratings? Those people from other countries aren't buying tickets. They aren't watching Versus or ABC. They aren't patronizing the few sponsors left.

And if AA made the collossal mistake of dumping RHR, when he is a legit championship contender and one of the few American drivers left in the series, for a guy nobody has ever heard of and somebody who has never been on a oval in his life, then most of the "momentum" and "good will" the series is trying to build would go down the tubes in a hurry.

NO way, RHR isn't in a full-time ride now. Andretti isn't stupid and neither is Bernard. If anything, it will be Princess that goes away after Indy. That will be bad too, but at least that will be of her and her sponsor's choosing. As Kirby is suggesting today in his piece... ;)

I am evil Homer
30th April 2010, 16:14
1) What won races in the same feeder series that's produced Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton in vastly inferior teams?

2) Or you could say Bourdais, Montoya, Zanardi, Mansell ;)

TURN3
30th April 2010, 16:55
NO way, RHR isn't in a full-time ride now. Andretti isn't stupid and neither is Bernard. If anything, it will be Princess that goes away after Indy. That will be bad too, but at least that will be of her and her sponsor's choosing. As Kirby is suggesting today in his piece... ;)

Common sense would suggest that you're correct with regard to RHR. But common sense hasn't put Rahal or Tracy in full-time gigs either. RHR is not more valueable than either of those 2, probably less but not a debate about which one of these guys is more valuable. As stupid as it seems that RHR wouldn't have a full-time gig, just have to conside how stupid it is what is going on with these other guys.

beachbum
30th April 2010, 17:34
1. Yep, its the fans fault for not being smart enough to follow A1GP (whatever the hell that was). The fans need to "expand their horizons". Funny stuff.
A lot of race fans follow more than one series, even series like A1GP. Remember who owned the US A1GP effort? AGR. You may not know who Adam Carroll is, but many race fans do. Some fans even follow racing that isn't in the US or even covered much on US TV, Like DTM and World Rally. Amazing, isn't it?

Foreigners don't bring squat to the sport in the form of fans. You see the TV ratings? Those people from other countries aren't buying tickets. They aren't watching Versus or ABC. They aren't patronizing the few sponsors left.Now that is funny. Was there any mention of foreign fans watching?. It might just be possible that many US fans like to see foreign drivers just to see how our racers fare against the world? One of the factors often mentioned on this forum and others for the popularity of CART was the diversity of the drivers - us against the world. Indy has had many foreign drivers race and win at Indy, starting before WW1. It is hardly a new phenomenon.

If watching US racers racing other US racers is what you crave, there is the series called NASCAR (opps, can't watch that - they are making a big deal of attracting foreign drivers. I wonder why?)

I agree there aren't enough American drivers but racers here have more options for a professional career than drivers from other countries where there aren't many professional series.

And if AA made the collossal mistake of dumping RHR, when he is a legit championship contender and one of the few American drivers left in the series......

Andretti is not stupid, but he is also a businessman and racing is still a business. RHR has done a great job for AA, but if the money dries up and Carroll comes with a strong financial package, there are some very hard choices to make for the team. Adam has shown the ability to win (even dominate) in a couple series. He could very easily be the next Will Power. In an ideal world, RHR keeps the ride he has earned (IMHO) and the under-performer on the team who has eyes for another goes away. Tough decision. But we don't live in an ideal world, we have to live in reality.

Mark in Oshawa
30th April 2010, 21:26
It is a thorny issue. I don't see Carroll as the poster boy who could save OW, but being Irish and likely having good looks, a little ability and charm, he could be star, so to say he isn't qualified based on his passport is BS. The thorny issue is who gives way? I would like to see Danica just move on because it is clear she isn't happy with the current state of affairs in the IRL. She knows the competition is just getting stiffer every day, and half the races she enters she has NO shot at a top 5. That...and she has NASCARitus...so let her go. As I have maintained, if she was good for the IRL ratings and fan wise, how come the ratings have slid into the toilet during her years of "success" in the IRL?

Danica was an asset that was marketed like crazy by ABC/ESPN and to an extent by Vs, but her day in the IRL has passed. She has made it so really, and I think people have finally had enough of the soap opera at Andretti. Carroll is the insurance policy.

As for RHR, well...somehow some way IZOD will find a way to keep this guy driving I think. You cannot have a marketing plan around this guy as one of your poster boys and driving a car with the series sponsor all over it leading in the top 3 in points and then let his ride lapse. Randy Bernard will be nuts to let it happen...

beachbum
30th April 2010, 22:02
I guess it depends on how you define "businessman". A real businessman knows that a critical ingrediant of any successful business is planning for the future. Those who live in the moment are out of business in the next moment. Planning for the future means investing in that future. Spending some money now in order to make more money later. In this case, building for the future means bringing American fans back to OW. While there is no issue with foreign drivers in the field, there is a great need for a substantial number to be American in order to connect with the targeted audience.

Where are the young Americans in the series? With the exception of Marco and Rahal - who's maybe on the way out, no one is there. How about the young guys who've paid their dues in the FIL and Atlantics? If these teams can't afford to put any one in a seat unless they bring a sack of money, then maybe we should just close the doors and turn the lights out now. It'll save everyone a lot of aggravation.No disagreement, but planning for the future is an exercise in futility if you can't survive to be around for the future. There are times when unpleasant choices have to be made in the short term. I personally hope that means RHR has a home, but who knows.

The IRL is at a critical juncture in its life. It needs an influx of funding and sponsorship to grow the sport. But it needs a good show to provide the ROI for companies to want to be involved. The problem is getting from here to there. It could be argued that getting bigger fields (like 27 at Kansas) is an important first step, regardless of how those drivers got the seat and the driver mix isn't ideal. So far this year, the fields have been very competitive and the IRL has put on good shows, so it is a start.

Until it is financially attractive for US drivers to go to the IRL, they will go elsewhere, which is exactly what happened to many US talents from Michael McDowell to Almendinger. McDowell seems ok with running for start and park teams rather than trying to rekindle an open wheel career. That is pretty sad.

markabilly
1st May 2010, 01:16
I guess it depends on how you define "businessman". A real businessman knows that a critical ingrediant of any successful business is planning for the future. Those who live in the moment are out of business in the next moment. Planning for the future means investing in that future. Spending some money now in order to make more money later. In this case, building for the future means bringing American fans back to OW. While there is no issue with foreign drivers in the field, there is a great need for a substantial number to be American in order to connect with the targeted audience.

Where are the young Americans in the series? With the exception of Marco and Rahal - who's maybe on the way out, no one is there. How about the young guys who've paid their dues in the FIL and Atlantics? If these teams can't afford to put any one in a seat unless they bring a sack of money, then maybe we should just close the doors and turn the lights out now. It'll save everyone a lot of aggravation.

been part of my point, all along.

All you have to do is compare the Carroll and Hunter-Reay.

Hunter is a little older, and has not had consistently good equipment, but he has won both CART and IRL road races...something DP can not claim

Carroll has had an okay career, spent a year as a test driver for Honda, but never moved up. When Hamilton began testing for Mac, he immediately set the world on fire..

but Carroll, well.....he also did some GP2 and A1GP where he did okay.....sso it appears that Carroll really does not offer much over Hunter and....more likely than not..what was that term someone used , "field filler"

He not an Emmo F., Nigel mansell, JPM, or even a Trulli....indeed, not even a Scott Speed....

So Adam is an f1 reject, but depending on how big his family is, may add a few ticket sales from overseas.....maybe :s nore:

It is easier to sleep with the lights off....... :s nore:

Jag_Warrior
1st May 2010, 01:38
RHR is out of a ride unless more money can be found past Texas.

Danica has been rumored to be trying to get out of her contract this year.

TK is signed to a 5 year deal (this being year number 2 I believe).

Marco isn't going anywhere.

So either, Adam runs a fifth car at selected events, Danica leaves and he fills the number 7 car full time, or RHR leaves and he fills the number 37 car.

I've seen Adam Caroll race several times on TV and I rather like him. Just my opinion, but I'd say he's a step up from the likes of Mike Conway and certain others... but we'll see.

As for what seat he gets, I hope it's Danica's and not Hunter-Reay's. If she would rather be in NASCAR, improving her t-shirt sales and working on spreading the gospel of The Brand (and I think she would), then good riddance. But if the guy with Izod backing can't keep racing because he can't write checks any longer, then this series is in worse shape than (even) I imagined. People like Hunter-Reay are the future of this series, if it is to have a future in the U.S.

Lousada
1st May 2010, 12:51
Looks like Carroll will get RHR's seat:

Andretti said it costs about $400,000 per race to compete at the highest level, which means $4 million is needed to continue after Texas. IndyCar guarantees full-time cars about $80,000 per race, which would provide $800,000.
Hunter-Reay has the unwavering support of Izod, which sponsors his car, but Andretti said Izod officials have told him they have committed all the money they can. So has the team.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100501/SPORTS0107/5010329/1217/SPORTS0107

DBell
1st May 2010, 14:31

Where are the young Americans in the series? With the exception of Marco and Rahal - who's maybe on the way out, no one is there. How about the young guys who've paid their dues in the FIL and Atlantics? If these teams can't afford to put any one in a seat unless they bring a sack of money, then maybe we should just close the doors and turn the lights out now. It'll save everyone a lot of aggravation.

Well said Starter. It's not about getting rid of foreign drivers, but finding a way to to get a few talented American drivers in the field full time. There has to be a balance for this series to grow and right now there isn't one. RHR is 28 and it's taken this long for him to get a chance with an upper level team. He's excelled at this opportunity, but looks like he'll be out of a ride after Texas. It's not only about guys like RHR and Graham, but young guys like Edwards and Summerton getting a shot in this series. They'll probably be in sports cars like Gurney and Fogarty and other previous generations of open wheel hopefuls, never to get a chance in Indycar. For the optimism people are feeling this year, unless this situation is changed, this series is going nowhere.

EagleEye
1st May 2010, 16:34
Andretti Autosport has accepted a check written by Adam Carroll, 27 year old, to drive a limited schedule of races in the IndyCar Series for the 2nd half of the season. Carroll won the 2008-2009 A1GP World Title for Team Ireland. Carroll has driven in Formula Renault Campus, Formula Ford, Formula 3, GP2, and A1GP race series.

His schedule and car assignment will be announced later, once the check clears....

markabilly
1st May 2010, 16:39
While some are bemoaning their American series going "down the tubes" with foreigners driving, those same people neglect to realize that the foreigners also bring fans to the sport. But I guess those fans don't count. They're not American. Even though they bring fan-money, and could fill seats in the stands.
Yeah, if it were Hamilton, MS, Button, even Rubens (who keeps hinting about coming over....to NASCAR....) might be very true.......but it ain't

elis
1st May 2010, 23:03
It is not the fault of the 'foreign' guys that the poor 'down trodden' homies cannot get rides..

Carroll has worked damn hard to accomplish the success he has, including championship titles, despite having his career crippled through a severe lack of funds.. zero open check book or family moula there. That issue affected & kyboshed an AOWR drive, he tested with Forsythe & RuSport & was indeed a reserve driver, but missed out due to funding.

I cannot understand the mentality of anyone that begrudges a hard working guy with his resume, from taking an opportunity when it is offered.

As for him being an unknown, if you're a race enthusiast, I guess you'd have to be pretty mono focused with your motorsport interest to not have heard of him... but then some folks whined that Romancini was an unknown.. despite him being an indy lights driver last year.. Go figure.

The majority of Joe public likely couldn't pick Graham or Ryan out of a line up.. so they are just as much unknown to the general populous as Adam would be..

Might be worth remembering that a certain 'precious' American boy had an opportunity for a full time ride & turned it down... You want to whinge about the lack of Americans in the series, I suggest you start by taking it to his front door rather than moaning about the foreigner who took the opportunity.

It might also be worth noting that without foreign input into the series you would not have a series.. period.

:D

vintage
2nd May 2010, 05:43
Oh my! Then thank god for Adam Carroll, Mario Romancini, Bertrand Baguette, and all the other stars this year for saving the series!

markabilly
2nd May 2010, 19:07
It might also be worth noting that without foreign input into the series you would not have a series.. period.

:D

Nonsense...we would still have Danica and the american general public would have been happy to have their field fillers such as Helio and Dario from the USA instead of those other places.......indeed, might have made it more interesting for them, since more american boys would be winning, so they might start showing up from nascar and whereever else.

Face it all the fans here and every other forum that talks IRL might number as high as a 500 to a thousand or so who would pay money to go see an IRL race...and that ain't gonna fill a grandstand (nor make dent in tv ratings, if they stay home and watch).

And no one here is bashing Carroll, who is probably about as talented as Marco, or Hunter, and very likely, far more talented than DAnica......but so what??? Problem is just he is more of the same type that has assisted in the loss of interest in the IRL. :(

elis
2nd May 2010, 20:34
Nonsense...

Nope.

Honda. Japanese

Dallara. Italian

Xtrac. British

Ethanol. Brasilian

DB Shenker. German

Pretty 'fundamental' International input me thinks :D

Remove all international involvement & you have... Danica dancing round a Firestone tire wearing nothing but an izod polo *oh wait, wasn't Firestone sold to Japanese company Bridgestone, & heck, even the name izod was bought off an English man back in the late '30's! lol :p

*Y'know, I do find it rather interesting that many folks continue to think that the foreign drivers are the problem, when actually the 'problem' is closer to home.

Does it really not occur that many of these overseas drivers bring sponsorship that they have sourced & secured.. sometimes even bringing American companies onboard! One has to wonder why is it that they can do it (& get castigated for it), yet seemingly the American guys cannot do the same. Why is it international guys & gals can sell themselves to prospective backers, American backers.. yet the homies cannot. *im not talking Milka

Heck, some of the overseas drivers have had sponsorship for companies that do not operate in the US, yet they STILL see reason to get behind their guy.

Time & again it seems its just easier to bemoan & blame the international drivers for everything that ails the series, whilst wheeling out the poor us, our poor hard-done-by American drivers are getting shafted. Of course its not ideal by any stretch, but well, it is what it is, it's a tough old business. Harden up.. y'all starting to sound like your related to the Whine-dretti's! :p

Guys like Justin Wilson is backed by an American company.. when he moved from DCR they followed HIM.. so why aren't they backing Rahal, RHR et al, what do they see in him that they did not see in the others?

Foyt retains Brasilian Meira to drive the American backed ABC car, despite him never having won a race, sure he gave RHR the ride when Vitor was out, but still.. the International guy has the f/t gig.

Simona, personal sponsorship from an American company, amongst others. Why her & not Edwards/Hilderbrand etc.

Dan Wheldon was hired to represent & drive the NG car over Ryan & Graham. Not Dan's 'fault'.. Sooo possibly, maybe, the 'fault' of the American that hired him? Heck Dan is the National spokesperson for National Guard Youth ChalleNGe program.. & him not even 'murican! Again, why him & not an all American boy?

Times of being hired solely on talent, if they were ever really there, have long gone.. you need to be marketable to sponsors.. so I ask, why can the International guys get a handle on that, but the Americans seemingly can not.

I appreciate this is rather simplistic view & things are never as simple as they may seem, but you cant really argue with something under your nose. How's about we quit bemoaning the rest of the 'World' for the problems that are seemingly pretty much American made, maybe once we accept that, we can begin to find solutions ;)

bzcam
2nd May 2010, 20:51
Oh my! Then thank god for Adam Carroll, Mario Romancini, Bertrand Baguette, and all the other stars this year for saving the series!

Yep, and, if we're really lucky, we can get someone like Kimi Räikkönen who has those weird umluats over the 'o' s in his name. Then no Americans at all will follow the series.

BZ

V12
6th May 2010, 10:03
Good to see a talented driver getting a break, after having his career hindered many times by lack of funding. Not sure where he's got the funds for this ride though, but not complaining.

And it almost goes without saying that I hope he ends up in the #7 rather than the #37!