PDA

View Full Version : Donington reopening in August?

christophulus
29th April 2010, 18:49
I reckon it's more suitable in this forum than on the F1 thread, as it's more likely to attract the BTCC than anything else:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83182

The Wheatcroft family, owners of the circuit, said they are confident the new, improved track will be re-opened during August.

The only thing that puzzles me is the "new, improved" bit. I know they did a lot of groundwork for the new layout but I imagine it'll just be fixing up the original mess...

Allyc85
29th April 2010, 18:59
Maybe a whole new track surface again, as drivers and riders always bitch about it in the wet!

Fingers crossed it all works out :D

UltimateDanGTR
29th April 2010, 20:37
I really hope all will be OK with the circuit, when/if racing starts there again I will be relieved, Simon Gillette could have ruined Donny for good.

Dave B
30th April 2010, 08:18
Encouragingly they say that they've had offers from the likes of East Midlands Airport, but would prefer to sell to someone who would continue motorsport activites.

Sarah
30th April 2010, 14:07
Flew right over it a couple of weeks ago coming into land at EMA. It did look a bit of a mess but I could see heavy machinery. Quite a lot of ground had been dug up especially beside the track at the Museum.

Rover V8
2nd May 2010, 15:36
I reckon it's more suitable in this forum than on the F1 thread, as it's more likely to attract the BTCC than anything else:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83182

The only thing that puzzles me is the "new, improved" bit. I know they did a lot of groundwork for the new layout but I imagine it'll just be fixing up the original mess...

That's the best news I've seen in Autosport for ages!

I think the magazine version of Autosport mentioned safety improvements- changes to barriers etc, which would normally be done over the course of a season anyway. With Donington closed for much of last year, none of that 'routine' work happened, so they've probably got a whole load of that to catch up on, as well as putting the track back together

wedge
11th May 2010, 14:46
Re-opening in September when calender resumes as normal.

Work needs to be done on Melbourne loop, revision to chicane for extra run off.

Allyc85
11th May 2010, 16:44
I read in MN that they arnt too worried out the GP section and that they are concentrating on the National layout :)

Mark
12th May 2010, 09:58
Encouragingly they say that they've had offers from the likes of East Midlands Airport, but would prefer to sell to someone who would continue motorsport activites.

It would be terrible for UK motorsport if one of our major tracks were to be ripped up to create more car parks or aircraft hangers.

I personally consider Donington along with Silverstone and Brands Hatch to be one of the three international standard circuits we have.