PDA

View Full Version : Off to Sweden

Robinho
29th April 2010, 15:12
i'm moving to Sweden for a minimum of 6 months, after i was made redundant recently an amazing opportunity has come up.

I'll be based in Norrkoping and i'm very excited.

can anyone (preferabley Swedes or people who've at least visited) fill me in on the place, give me any advice etc?

i know language won't be a problem as the swedish speak better english than most of the english.

i know its warm and light til late in the summer and bloody cold and dark in the winter.

i know (thanks to Jaimie Oliver last night) that you like you fish salty, you have crayfish parties, you like cakes and the beer is good (but expensive) and as my place in the UK is half full of Ikea stuff i don't expect to struggle with that.

any other info will be great - thanks :)

EuroTroll
29th April 2010, 15:48
In Swedish business culture, consensus is valued. Decision-making usually takes longer than elsewhere, meetings can be wearisome.

As a Brit, you're likely to be more confrontational in discussion than an average Swede. Worth keeping in mind, because you might unintentionally cause offense.

The people are usually great, very friendly. I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Mark in Oshawa
29th April 2010, 16:40
The Swedes are big on consensus? Oh that explains their hockey players then...lol

Ghostwalker
29th April 2010, 19:44
i'm moving to Sweden for a minimum of 6 months, after i was made redundant recently an amazing opportunity has come up.

I'll be based in Norrkoping and i'm very excited.

can anyone (preferabley Swedes or people who've at least visited) fill me in on the place, give me any advice etc?

i know language won't be a problem as the swedish speak better english than most of the english.

i know its warm and light til late in the summer and bloody cold and dark in the winter.

i know (thanks to Jaimie Oliver last night) that you like you fish salty, you have crayfish parties, you like cakes and the beer is good (but expensive) and as my place in the UK is half full of Ikea stuff i don't expect to struggle with that.

any other info will be great - thanks :)

one advice is that you should attend Vargarna's (http://klubben.se/vargarnaspeedway/start.html) home meetings in the Swedish Speedway's Elitserien. They are based at Kråkvilan (http://maps.google.se/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g&daddr=58.593309,16.245346&hl=sv&geocode=FYYbfgMdmPL2AA%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&sll=58.589864,16.222773&sspn=0.017065,0.066047&ie=UTF8&z=15) which is east/north-east of Norrköping city towards Lindö.
Next home meeting is at 19.00 on Tuesday in next week,

Time format is the 24 hour clock with 00.00 being midnight and 23.59 one minute to midnight.

Date format is usually year/month/day,

We use the metric system.

I also recommend you to read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_Sweden

and a quick google search gave this result:

http://www.alloexpat.com/moving_to_sweden_forum/

http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?showforum=26

A.F.F.
29th April 2010, 20:04
i'm moving to Sweden for a minimum of 6 months

Why, WHY would you do that ????

:p :

Robinho
29th April 2010, 20:07
Why, WHY would you do that ????

if they were willing to pay me as much as they are to move to Finland instead i'd happily go there, but Sweden it is ;)

CarlMetro
29th April 2010, 20:44
Wow, be a bit of a trek for BTCC meetings......

Robinho
29th April 2010, 21:07
there's always STCC, i like the look of those Volvo's

donKey jote
29th April 2010, 21:44
don´t open a can of Surströmming indoors :D

Robinho
29th April 2010, 21:48
do the cinemas show films in English or swedish?

A.F.F.
29th April 2010, 21:59
do the cinemas show films in English or swedish?

English with swedish subtitles.

Tomi
29th April 2010, 22:10
don´t open a can of Surströmming indoors :D
LOL :)

figjam
29th April 2010, 22:49
Stay away from Pripps Blå beer if it is still made, horrid stuff.

Just out of curiousity who will you be working for? Isn't ASEA/ASKO based around that area?

gloomyDAY
29th April 2010, 23:05
What's your job Rob?

J4MIE
29th April 2010, 23:24
Robinho old pal I hope you have an amazing time, sounds a great opportunity :up: It's a shame you won't be there for the duration of winter, I think it is amazing to see.

Fantastic place, I'd move there in an instant :cool:

Eki
30th April 2010, 09:06
What's your job Rob?
You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Robinho
30th April 2010, 09:43
i'll be working for Alstom power as a commercial/contracts manager

Ghostwalker
30th April 2010, 19:38
English with Swedish subtitles.

the same goes for most tv programs aswell. Original language with subtitles.

there's always STCC, i like the look of those Volvo's

as said before you'll have good opportunities to follow the Swedish Speedway leagues.
Norrköping have a team called Vargarna and Motala and Piraterna isn't far away either.

fandango
30th April 2010, 20:00
Even though they can speak English, try and learn some Swedish as soon as possible. The fact that you don't have to will make people appreciate it even more.

And even when they switch to English, continue in Swedish, even with the mistakes, unless they ask you to change. Communicating in another language is a big buzz.

I know nothing about Sweden, but that's how things work here with Catalan. Good luck and have a laugh.