PDA

View Full Version : Sprinklers

CarlMetro
29th April 2010, 12:22
By far the most exciting racing we've seen in recent times has been when the weather has played it's part.

With the traditional snorefest of Barcelona coming up next and Hungary still to come too, I'm wondering what people would think of a proposal to install trackside sprinkler systems so that the track condidtions could be changed from day to day?

ShiftingGears
29th April 2010, 12:28
I very much detest the idea. Cheap gimmick.

Sonic
29th April 2010, 12:33
No need for that. Just hold every race in Britain in mid June and you can bet your last penny on it pouring down!

Seriously though, I can see the appeal, but its just too artificial for me.

EuroTroll
29th April 2010, 12:40
I think that's a great idea. Artificial - yes. But so what?

For me, F1 is about entertainment. The usual processional dry race doesn't entertain me.

AndyL
29th April 2010, 15:32
There's no need to water the track. Just make them use the wet tyres! ;)

EuroTroll
29th April 2010, 15:57
There's no need to water the track. Just make them use the wet tyres! ;)

Sprinklers on cars, aimed for the tyres? :D

Chamoo
29th April 2010, 16:07
Sprinklers on cars, aimed for the tyres? :D

Might as well race fire trucks lol.

Garry Walker
29th April 2010, 17:03
By far the most exciting racing we've seen in recent times has been when the weather has played it's part.

With the traditional snorefest of Barcelona coming up next and Hungary still to come too, I'm wondering what people would think of a proposal to install trackside sprinkler systems so that the track condidtions could be changed from day to day?

I think the proposal is somewhere in between idiotic and very idiotic.

CarlMetro
29th April 2010, 17:25
I think the proposal is somewhere in between idiotic and very idiotic.

And, of course it was a serious suggestion :rolleyes:

But then I should remember that you're not allowed to have a sense of humour in the F1 forum......... :\

fandango
29th April 2010, 17:33
It's true that the race here is often boring, mainly becuase they all test here, so they have the cars perfectly set up.

I'm hoping this year will be different, as tyre wear is becoming more important, and I think the teams may try something different. In Bahrain, which I actually enjoyed (I'm easily pleased), the teams were more conservative and careful, and we might have had a battle for the lead if Vettel's engine hadn't acted up.

So I'm hoping for a good race, but then again, there's a saying in Spanish "Hope is the last thing you lose"....

As for the sprinklers, who would get the job of turning them on? Nelson Piquet?

Garry Walker
29th April 2010, 17:35
And, of course it was a serious suggestion :rolleyes:

But then I should remember that you're not allowed to have a sense of humour in the F1 forum......... :\

The problem is that many people actually are serious in making such proposals, how is one to know whether you are saying it with humour or not?

Mark in Oshawa
29th April 2010, 17:37
I am all for it....except throw dry ice into it and maybe we can have snow!!!!

Then get Villeneuve back!!!!

CarlMetro
29th April 2010, 17:39
As for the sprinklers, who would get the job of turning them on? Nelson Piquet?

I was thinking they could have an automatic setting so that they turn on whenever Lewis is leading for more than two laps?

UltimateDanGTR
29th April 2010, 18:07
sprinklers. shortcuts. medals.

bernie ecclestones ultimate gimmick dream.

to be fair, the first 2 would be loads of fun.

but not formula 1. F1 should be kept as F1, this would be a massive gimmick and thus no thank you.

ioan
29th April 2010, 18:20
I very much detest the idea. Cheap gimmick.

:up:

Josti
29th April 2010, 19:31
For me, F1 is about entertainment. The usual processional dry race doesn't entertain me.

Well, I prefer to see it as a sport, so no thank you to this nonsense.

EuroTroll
29th April 2010, 19:40
Well, I prefer to see it as a sport, so no thank you to this nonsense.

I see it as a sport too. And I see sport as entertainment. Equal opportunity and real competition are essential, or I'm not entertained.

Carl may not have been serious about this, but I was. I honestly don't think artificial wetting would take anything away from the sport, but it would add to the show.

I realize this can never be a popular view among hardcore fans. I used to be one too, but nowadays I just want to be entertained -- by sport.

SGWilko
29th April 2010, 19:40
FIA would introduce a blanket hospipe ban......

jens
29th April 2010, 19:52
I think that's a great idea. Artificial - yes. But so what?

I personally prefer "boringness" over ridiculous gimmicks. Like I have written in the past - if a team designs a car, which is 2 secs per lap faster than anyone else, they deserve to totally destroy the field each race instead of implementation of some ridiculous "thingies" to somehow distract them and throw them to the back.

For me the first aim of a competition is to clarify, who is the best by using fair rules and methods. For pure entertainment, show and gimmicks let's watch destruction derby. I personally were quite annoyed by the safety car rules we had in 07-08. How can I enjoy a race if I see someone getting thrown to the front from the back by no effort of his own, just pure fluke? Such unfairness takes the whole enjoyment of a competition away, turning it into a joke. If this was some kind of a series of amateurs it wouldn't matter much, but in a series, where so much money gets thrown at getting results, the best packages simply deserve to win.

EuroTroll
29th April 2010, 20:01
I personally prefer "boringness" over ridiculous gimmicks. Like I have written in the past - if a team designs a car, which is 2 secs per lap faster than anyone else, they deserve to totally destroy the field each race instead of implementation of some ridiculous "thingies" to somehow distract them and throw them to the back.

For me the first aim of a competition is to clarify, who is the best by using fair rules and methods. For pure entertainment, show and gimmicks let's watch destruction derby.

I agree with that, absolutely. But artificial wetting wouldn't be like success ballast, which penalizes a job well done. A great car and a great driver would still triumph over those less great and by the appropriate margin. It would be just another addition to what is already an artificial set of circumstances. Or do people think that existing technical and sporting regulations come directly from God? :)

Mia 01
29th April 2010, 20:32
Grow up folks.

CarlMetro
29th April 2010, 21:08
OK, lets make something absolutely clear here.

I posted this as a joke, a bit of fun, a lighthearted thread in amongst a world of seriousness.

If you have no sense of humour, there are plenty of 'serious' threads in which you can partake so all I ask is that you leave this one to those of us who like to have a bit of a giggle once in a while.

Cheers

jens
29th April 2010, 22:14
I agree with that, absolutely. But artificial wetting wouldn't be like success ballast, which penalizes a job well done. A great car and a great driver would still triumph over those less great and by the appropriate margin. It would be just another addition to what is already an artificial set of circumstances. Or do people think that existing technical and sporting regulations come directly from God? :)

The problem with artificial wetting would be that the Stewards or whoever would probably activate the system in such exact moment, when it could make the race as exciting as possible. For instance, when leaders have just pitted for new tyres, but chasers haven't.

EuroTroll
29th April 2010, 22:41
The problem with artificial wetting would be that the Stewards or whoever would probably activate the system in such exact moment, when it could make the race as exciting as possible. For instance, when leaders have just pitted for new tyres, but chasers haven't.

What if there was a pre-arranged activation time?

gloomyDAY
29th April 2010, 22:55
For me, F1 is about entertainment...Then you should just stick to Idol. :)

EuroTroll
29th April 2010, 23:10
Then you should just stick to Idol. :)

Actually, you're probably right. Not Idol, but just something else. I've seen the error of my ways and repent. :)