PDA

View Full Version : Turkington could be back for Oulton .....

MG2004
29th April 2010, 08:44
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/turkington-back-on-course-in-title-fight-14784975.html

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Alfa Fan
29th April 2010, 13:29
What's the point though? To run round with the #1 on the car for a while I guess?

RMLCruzeing82
29th April 2010, 14:51
i dont care myself if he had #1000 on his car.

being a fan of turks i just want to see that kid on the BTCC grid racing were he belongs and should be now. i hope it comes to something i really do

martinbalmer
29th April 2010, 15:50
What's the point though? To run round with the #1 on the car for a while I guess?

I would have thought the point is to race?

Otherwise, what would be the point of Giovanardi or Glew coming back. Or anyone entering late or replacing another driver.

Obviously, having given everyone else a considerable head start, successfully defending his title is somewhat an uphill struggle but there would still be a fair few rounds left to take on a race-by-race basis and, well, race for individual results. Beats doing bugger all for the rest of the season.

Alfa Fan
29th April 2010, 16:14
Giovanardi's intention was to win the title. Glew's to make a name for himself in the BTCC. Colin can't do the former and doesn't need to do the latter.

I am evil Homer
29th April 2010, 16:40
Yes he can do the former, tricky but he could do it. Any reason you're so negative about last season's champion being on the grid?

martinbalmer
29th April 2010, 17:18
FG has already missed 3 races, 6 if he doesn't reappear at the weekend. Let's hope he doesn't miss too many as you'll be saying the same for him then.

If results counted above all else then CT would already be racing.

His point for racing is because he wants to. Because he enjoys it. Sure he'd like to progress up the ladder but sitting at home all year isn't going to help him do that.

For me. Well I think adding him to the mix is going to add to the entertainment and I watch it for entertainment.

peewhee
29th April 2010, 17:29
Giovanardi's intention was to win the title. Glew's to make a name for himself in the BTCC. Colin can't do the former and doesn't need to do the latter.

So you would rather he stayed away? :confused:

Is that your suggestion to the other former champions racing this year?

UltimateDanGTR
29th April 2010, 17:59
I hope he comes back and helps aid the already great show, then it would be nice to think he would get the backing for a full season 2nd title push next year....whether this will happen is unpredictable for sure, but turks in the series is a great bonus full stop.

Alfa Fan
29th April 2010, 18:13
So you would rather he stayed away? :confused:

Is that your suggestion to the other former champions racing this year?

They are doing the full season!

This year if he joins at Oulton, realistically he's looking to finish 6th-8th.

Now to the casual fan at the end of the year, they may think he's down their due to having a bad year!

I just don't see what he has to gain from doing half a season? Better to save the money for a full season in '11!

UltimateDanGTR
29th April 2010, 18:22

Now to the casual fan at the end of the year, they may think he's down their due to having a bad year!

I just don't see what he has to gain from doing half a season? Better to save the money for a full season in '11!

I'd guess that when you're the defending champion, you wanna be on that track as quickly as possible!

christophulus
29th April 2010, 18:29
The more the merrier. There's something lacking about the BTCC this year for me, there aren't enough "big names" on the grid. Hopefully by next year we'll be getting a full complement back.

Allyc85
29th April 2010, 18:33

:confused:

Surely its better for him to be out racing, instead of being the forgotten champion, sat on the sidelines and totally out of potential backers eyes!

VkmSpouge
29th April 2010, 18:38

To win races and secure a full season's worth of sponsorship for 2011.

Alfa Fan
29th April 2010, 19:38
To win races and secure a full season's worth of sponsorship for 2011.

Yes..but..

what sounds better to a prospective sponsor for 2011?

telling them you were champion in 2009 but kept on sideline due to budget problems in 2010

or, trying to explain why you only finished 8th in the championship last season or whatever?

Northern Monkey
29th April 2010, 21:28
Well obviously if you are trying to get a new sponsor involved, not racing is the perfect way to do it....

If there is a chance of Colin racing, he is much better racing, showing prospective backers what he can do on track and trying to secure the funding for next year.

If he can get a potential sponsor along for an event and they like it enough to back him for 2011 then its a result.

There is also the fact that racing this year keeps him sharp.

VkmSpouge
30th April 2010, 01:11
Yes..but..

telling them you were champion in 2009 but kept on sideline due to budget problems in 2010

or, trying to explain why you only finished 8th in the championship last season or whatever?

Much better to say that you were 2009 champion and then in only a partial season with huge budgetry contraints won all these races. Plus if this potential sponsor is looking to come on this season you race this season. It is a no brainer.

KILOHMUNNS
30th April 2010, 12:28
It's not just about the driver, I'm sure WSR would benefit from additional funding and have a driver capable of accruing more points for the team championship.

BDunnell
30th April 2010, 23:48

By the same logic, Team Dynamics may as well have only entered Pinkney last year, given that neither Thompson nor Herbert were going to be able to win the title by virtue of only doing part-seasons. You seem to forget that these people are racers — and that goes for the likes of Steve Neal and Dick Bennetts as well. They want to race and want to race well.

Rover V8
2nd May 2010, 15:16
Yes..but..

What sounds better to a prospective sponsor?

'We were champions in 2009, but budget problems meant we had to miss the first few 2010 meetings, We managed to pull together a deal for the rest of the season though- the championship was out of reach by then but we won a bunch of races, finished 8th despite only doing a part-season, and got our sponsor plenty of TV coverage- and they're very keen to stay on board with you for 2011....'

or

'We were champions in 2009, but then had budget problems which meant we missed the first few 2010 meetings. There was a possible sponsor who we could have put together a deal with to do the rest of the year, but it didn't really seem worth the hassle if we were only going to finish 8th, so we sat it out. No, the other sponsor won't be on board with you for 2011, they went off and sponsored somebody else instead.....'

If WSR have got a sponsor willing to back a third car now, it makes more sense to get a third car for Colin out there ASAP, and use this year to try and build it into a multi-year deal

racefan38
4th May 2010, 12:19
I cant see why it not a good idea for last years champion to come back and race for rest of the season if the budget is there. It was stated at the start of the season that Colin was sitting at home kicking his heels cos he wanted to be out on the grid. Like most of the teams running in this years championship money comes into it.

As it been stated if Colin can get out this season and race and get full backing for next year then why not lets get behind drivers not say dont race.

RMLCruzeing82
5th May 2010, 13:56
I cant see why it not a good idea for last years champion to come back and race for rest of the season if the budget is there. It was stated at the start of the season that Colin was sitting at home kicking his heels cos he wanted to be out on the grid. Like most of the teams running in this years championship money comes into it.

As it been stated if Colin can get out this season and race and get full backing for next year then why not lets get behind drivers not say dont race.

i couldn't agree more

Neil Adams
5th May 2010, 17:56
to me the news sounds like a deal for oulton only, but anyway often sponsorship is tied in with other marketing campaigns / activities so it might not actually be possible to freeze the deal and use the sponsorship money in 2011

Alfa Fan
5th May 2010, 18:01
There isn't even a deal yet! I would not be surprised to see only 2 WSR cars at Oulton!!

Allyc85
22nd May 2010, 12:14
Any rumours at all as Oulton isnt far away now :)

BTCC2
22nd May 2010, 19:19
Its all gone very quiet it seems.

RMLCruzeing82
24th May 2010, 10:43
i cant see turks @ oulton and im going as well ... gutted :(