PDA

View Full Version : Assessments of the Cosworth package thus far?

Jag_Warrior
25th April 2010, 20:13
To paraphrase something Paul Newman said years ago, I don't have a problem with Cosworth (I've always been a great admirer), I just have a problem with the current management.

But regarding the F1 program, how would the folks here grade the Cosworth option thus far? I know it's not easy, since they tend to be in cars that wouldn't be top shelf anyway.

It doesn't have to be scientific, but just your general feelings: reliability & power.

Mia 01
25th April 2010, 21:20
To paraphrase something Paul Newman said years ago, I don't have a problem with Cosworth (I've always been a great admirer), I just have a problem with the current management.

But regarding the F1 program, how would the folks here grade the Cosworth option thus far? I know it's not easy, since they tend to be in cars that wouldn't be top shelf anyway.

It doesn't have to be scientific, but just your general feelings: reliability & power.

reliability - good

power - less good

fuel - thirsty

ioan
25th April 2010, 22:55
As bad as expected.

gloomyDAY
26th April 2010, 00:08
Paperweight. Williams should have gone for Renault.

truefan72
26th April 2010, 02:47
Paperweight. Williams should have gone for Renault.

exactly

cosworths were never going to be that competitive. Makes you wish BMW and toyota, at least, remained as engine suppliers. those engines are just sitting in some warehouse collecting dust.

F1boat
26th April 2010, 06:43
I dunno. Williams are slow, but that's not a big surprise from them. The other are too slow. I can't say.

Sonic
26th April 2010, 08:38
Well I should imagine that if the cossie was woefully off the pace we'd be hearing movements from the teams to request an engine upgrade from the FIA. Thus far we have heard no such grumbles, which suggests (at least to me) that the engine is adequate - they've all got a lot of pace to find elsewhere in their packages.

That said, Renault were cleared to develop their own unit a few weeks bac, so when those upgrades come on line we might start to hear some mutterings.

Other than outright grunt the drivers have reported good driveability and so far the Cossie's aren't going bang, but on the subject of fuel comsumption I really don't know - there were rumors before the year, but nothing concreate to say the engine is thirsty. Besides fuel mileage has as much to do with the fuel being used as it does the engine.

Sleeper
26th April 2010, 13:23
I honestly dont know, there's not much being said about it at the moment. Its clearly reliable, Williams arent complaining about it being underpowered (though after the Toyota I they probably have more power now) and I've heard nothing about its fuel consumption.

Working this out is not helped by the fact that the engine is in the three new teams and that Williams has produced quite a slow car.

I am evil Homer
26th April 2010, 13:31
Hard to make an assessment when they're being run by average teams. If it was in the back of a decent car then it would be easier to place it as a power plant but given it's in brand new teams and Williams who haven't designed a decent car in years a true picture is hard to see.

It doesn't seem massively down on power and is reliable but it's clearly not a patch on the Renault, Merc or Ferrari engines.

DexDexter
26th April 2010, 19:02
Engine - ok
Gearbox - terrible, constant hydraulic problems, out of date, overweight and unreliable.

jens
26th April 2010, 23:20
I don't think Cosworth is that bad. It may not be as good as for instance Mercedes, but I don't think it is the main root for the troubles Williams is suffering. But what might be a contributing factor, is that maybe due to the engine manufacturer change Williams hasn't managed to adapt to Cosworth engine efficiently enough yet to unlock the whole potential of the chassis/engine. It looks like Sauber has also teething troubles after switching to Ferrari.

SGWilko
27th April 2010, 09:41
Engine - ok
Gearbox - terrible, constant hydraulic problems, out of date, overweight and unreliable.

Is the gearbox supplied as part of the engine......???

.....don't think so.

christophulus
27th April 2010, 18:08
It's cheap and reliable, so has lived up to the specification the FIA asked for. Not a bad effort really.

Sleeper
27th April 2010, 19:47
Engine - ok
Arent all the new teams useing Xtrac boxes? and Williams make there own.

DexDexter
27th April 2010, 19:53
Is the gearbox supplied as part of the engine......???

.....don't think so.

The gearbox is part of the package all the new teams get. Xtrac-box, Cosworth-engines...

Arent all the new teams useing Xtrac boxes? and Williams make there own.

Yep, and all have problems.

SGWilko
28th April 2010, 09:43
The gearbox is part of the package all the new teams get. Xtrac-box, Cosworth-engines...

Hmmm, sale of goods act, trading standards.... :laugh:

Sleeper
28th April 2010, 12:46

Williams have no problems, and the Xtrac box is off the shelf so is bound to be behind the standard of the other teams, but has nothing to do with Cosworth.

I am evil Homer
28th April 2010, 14:54
I think the other cossie teams have woes above and beyond xtrac

SGWilko
28th April 2010, 15:00

I think most of the hydraulic leaks have been diff related....

V12
28th April 2010, 16:31
exactly

cosworths were never going to be that competitive. Makes you wish BMW and toyota, at least, remained as engine suppliers. those engines are just sitting in some warehouse collecting dust.

Definitely agree about BMW and Toyota - part of the reason I wanted Stefan to sneak in was so that the Toyotas didn't go to waste, and bump up the engine variety by one.

DexDexter
28th April 2010, 19:36

True but from what I've heard, the box isn't impressive at all....