PDA

View Full Version : Facebook

AndySpeed
2nd March 2007, 11:11
Does anyone on here use facebook? In my view it's got to be one of the best social networking websites - I think it has now overtaken myspace as the site with most of my friends on which is the main thing. But it's also coded much better than any of the other sites, MySpace included, allowing for safer and easier browsing. Ther'es loads more little things that make it better too like the advanced security features and great photo tagging facility (though sometimes people tag me in pictures I'd rather they didn't!)

Originally only open to 'college'/university students, it's now open to all (though i disagree with this, since it got to where it is through universities).

So anyone got it?

Not going to ask people to post links to their profiles because I don't think you can and there's a lot of personal information and contacts on mine

dwf1
2nd March 2007, 15:24
ive got it but i also have myspace too

Erki
2nd March 2007, 16:06
What?

http://www.softlab.ntua.gr/~siochos/smilies/can_do_nothing.gif

wacked
2nd March 2007, 16:19
yeah i got it too.. also lots of other sites..

AndySpeed
2nd March 2007, 16:20
If you follow this link, can you see my full profile?

http://www.facebook.com/p/Andy_Abbott/273101866

Drew
2nd March 2007, 16:27
I do, I'd say it was better than myspace.

Mainly because it contains your actual name, so there are no imposters!

stevie_gerrard
2nd March 2007, 19:01
i havent actually had time to sort an account out yet, but hearing all this hype about it, i will get around to it :p :

slinkster
2nd March 2007, 22:00
I only gave in to Myspace because everyone was banging on about it... and now friends keep asking me to join facebook too... not sure I can be bothered. Is it worth having to remember even more internet passwords for???

Erki
3rd March 2007, 09:31
Why not use the same password everywhere then?

wacked
3rd March 2007, 21:35
yeah.. thats what i do normally.. its much easier that way..

raikk
4th March 2007, 04:45
I do.. It's great but I have myspace too..

RaikkonenRules
4th March 2007, 17:48
Yes I've started an account 2 months ago but haven't been on it since. I mostly only use Bebo.

RaikkonenRules
4th March 2007, 17:51
Here's a link to my Bebo page.

http://Hempsal88.bebo.com

Captain VXR
4th March 2007, 19:06
Why have three people left "your mum" and drawings of balls on your whiteboard? Are they jokes or just some sort of knobjockeys posting them?

AndySpeed
4th March 2007, 21:13
Yes I've started an account 2 months ago but haven't been on it since. I mostly only use Bebo.

I also have an accont there but it's the type of people who use that site that puts me off it - mostly chavs and kids. Facebook (being university-oriented) is much more refined I like to think :p :

100%hondafan
4th March 2007, 23:46
i had some dodgy hi5 one but dont go on it but regular on myspace :)

and cant be bothered with something i have to log into all the time like facebox i think one is enough really. (as myspace is the biggist one its the one i bother with)

my myspace http://www.myspace.com/sharpie_2004 :)

airshifter
5th March 2007, 00:35
I never quite understood the point.

A bunch of people making "friends" often with people they haven't or will never meet. I would rather actually meet the people and then decide if I want to be friends with them. And I never felt any need to advertise to others who my friends were, because if they spent time with me they would figure out who my other friends were.

AndySpeed
5th March 2007, 00:51

A bunch of people making "friends" often with people they haven't or will never meet. I would rather actually meet the people and then decide if I want to be friends with them. And I never felt any need to advertise to others who my friends were, because if they spent time with me they would figure out who my other friends were.

Unfortunately you're missing the point. Facebook is used a lot by students, and in many ways it forms part of the university/college atmosphere. Most people I know don't just accept/add anyone and no one on my friends list is someone I haven't met. The site is used for arranging nights out, posting photos of nights out, college elections, general communication and the like.

No offence to anyone if I don't accept your friend request on Facebook but if I haven't met you or unless you go to my university I'll probably deny it. The point isn't to artificially look like you've got lots of friends.

ATF
14th March 2007, 17:31
Does anyone on here use facebook?

I do too! There's a good group going on here, isn't there Andy?! ;) We need more members though, trying to make it the best BTCC group on facebook!!

http://shef.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2256980911

viper_man
14th March 2007, 17:35
A mate from uni sent me an invite the other day, dont use Myspace or anything so may as well set one up one facebook.

tony_yeboah
14th March 2007, 19:18
facebook is crap, i hate it

viper_man
14th March 2007, 21:31
Howcome?

Erki
14th March 2007, 22:11
Dunno, there's an epidemy of social stuff sites.
I don't know about you people but I have grown a bit bored of them. Never used them anyway but now they seem even more less pointful(I don't think they're 100% pointless, maybe just 5:) ).

LotusElise
14th March 2007, 22:32
I only have a Myspace. I've never really looked at Facebook.
I tend to use Myspace for chatting to and keeping in touch with people I already know and joining interest groups. I certainly don't add everyone who requests.

Does Facebook have the same problem with dodgy "webcam group" spam that Myspace can have?

Bezza
15th March 2007, 20:05
Facebook is great, I use it more than MySpace now.

tony_yeboah
15th March 2007, 20:15
they're all crap. its just - hello this is all about me, and a picture of me. big deal. i like care what the fat kid from school looks like now

AndySpeed
6th April 2007, 17:47
they're all crap. its just - hello this is all about me, and a picture of me. big deal. i like care what the fat kid from school looks like now

I can disagree with you on so many levels there.

I use the site to keep in contact with my mates (for free), people put up amusing photos after nights out and I can organise events. When someone has a party you can create an event page and invite people who say if they are attending, maybe or not attending. It works a treat - I've managed to organise a barbeque for next term for possibly 30 ish people which I wouldn't have been able to achieve as well otherwise.

Plus there's a 'group' for virtually anything you like

RaikkonenRules
6th April 2007, 20:11
Why have three people left "your mum" and drawings of balls on your whiteboard? Are they jokes or just some sort of knobjockeys posting them?

:laugh: Immature friends of mine that literraly have nothing better to do.

RaikkonenRules
6th April 2007, 20:14

Rather like these forums. :p :

AndySpeed
6th April 2007, 21:14
The difference between my use of these forums and Facebook: I've never met any of you, whereas I've met probably about 99% of my friends on facebook ;)

Drew
6th April 2007, 23:03
The difference between my use of these forums and Facebook: I've never met any of you, whereas I've met probably about 99% of my friends on facebook ;)

And most of them you met whilst drunk, I bet :p :

tintin
7th April 2007, 00:13
I can't really be bothered with this sort of thing.
I do have a Facebook account, but haven't actively done anything with it - no photos, no blog, nothing about me. Nobody knows I have it, which is probably why I only have one "friend" associated.

Having said that, I've just looked for people I know, and one of them has listed among his friends at least half a dozen people I know, but didn't know that he knew.

Which shows what a small world it is.