PDA

View Full Version : Epitome of a Sad State

Roamy
24th April 2010, 15:18
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/24/homeless-hero-ignored-dying-nyc-street/

This is horrible but shows what a sad state we are in. These asshole people couldn't even dial 911.

anthonyvop
24th April 2010, 17:19
Fousto,

What do you expect from the most "progressive" city in the USA? They all expected the Government to help him.

Eki
24th April 2010, 17:44
Anthonyvop probably thinks it was his own fault and that everyone should survive on their own without any help from others.

AAReagles
24th April 2010, 17:51
As Anthonyvop said, it doesn't surprise me neither.

Couldn't tell you how many times I've seen people (middle-aged yuppie or youngsters sporting Grateful Dead T-shirts) in hip' districts, with all these notions of "embrace tolerance", just casually walk by any homeless person who could use a little help - whether in some spare change or something more dire.

AAReagles
24th April 2010, 17:53
Anthonyvop probably thinks it was his own fault and that everyone should survive on their own without any help from others.

You clearly misunderstood what he said.

anthonyvop
25th April 2010, 00:33
You clearly misunderstood what he said.
he did but that never gets in the way of advancing his own agenda.

BDunnell
25th April 2010, 01:05

Couldn't tell you how many times I've seen people (middle-aged yuppie or youngsters sporting Grateful Dead T-shirts) in hip' districts, with all these notions of "embrace tolerance", just casually walk by any homeless person who could use a little help - whether in some spare change or something more dire.

I too do exactly that, because, personally, I prefer to help homeless people by giving money to homeless charities, rather than beggars on the streets, underground trains and so on. That way, I am more sure that the money will be distributed in a sensible fashion.

gloomyDAY
25th April 2010, 02:01
Fousto,

What do you expect from the most "progressive" city in the USA? They all expected the Government to help him.Dude, it's Queens. What do you expect?

Couldn't tell you how many times I've seen people (middle-aged yuppie or youngsters sporting Grateful Dead T-shirts) in hip' districts, with all these notions of "embrace tolerance", just casually walk by any homeless person who could use a little help - whether in some spare change or something more dire.Why would you ever give money to homeless people on the street? They'll use it for drugs and alcohol. Just give the money to a local soup kitchen or better yet volunteer some of your time to help.

As to the original post. Quite sad, really. I can't think of a reason for not helping the guy.

Mark in Oshawa
25th April 2010, 03:27
I too do exactly that, because, personally, I prefer to help homeless people by giving money to homeless charities, rather than beggars on the streets, underground trains and so on. That way, I am more sure that the money will be distributed in a sensible fashion.

Yes...so true. What bothers me though is the cities that seem to tolerate and go out of their way to NOT try to find ways to get these people off the streets. The City of Toronto for YEARS has resisted a proper accounting and census of the street people, and whether they are getting help.

It is a tough thing to fall through the cracks of society, and usually it is a mental illness that drives people so far out into the depth's despair that living on the street is an option. That said, enabling them rather than trying to help them seems a false economy....

AAReagles
26th April 2010, 18:38

From reading your posts in the past, I see you as a moderate liberal, not as some (hypocritical) full-extent left-winger; so yah, I can dig where you're coming from in that respect, as how you feel it would be best suited to be charitable at the moment when the occasion presents itself.

I should have clarified myself a bit - giving out a buck or some change isn't no big deal I figure, doesn't hurt my pocket any, and it allows them some $ assistance to get some smokes or a beer - the same vices I got from time to time. Having said that, it's not my place to judge them as to how they got to where they're at, or what they'll do with the money.

On occasion I contribute some relatively minor funds to charitable organizions as well - but only local ones, NOT corporate enterprises that have on numerous occasions proven to be malevolent in management, if not their practices.

Daniel
26th April 2010, 23:19
Why the hell do you seek every opportunity to make some idiotic point that you can.

BDunnell
26th April 2010, 23:25
Why the hell do you seek every opportunity to make some idiotic point that you can.

I actually thought that point was not unreasonable. He probably does think exactly that way.

BDunnell
26th April 2010, 23:26
From reading your posts in the past, I see you as a moderate liberal, not as some (hypocritical) full-extent left-winger

I hope you've got me pretty much spot-on — although I am further to the left in some areas.

Daniel
26th April 2010, 23:26
There's a time and a place though.

AAReagles
27th April 2010, 02:43
I hope you've got me pretty much spot-on — although I am further to the left in some areas.
I understand that. That's no problem as far as I am concerned, even though we will continue to disagree at times.

You did believe in some extent of gun ownership, plus it didn't appear that you were entirely sure about the reasons behind the release of the Lockerbie bomber being a good thing.

Additionally it took me a while to figure out that you don't get all balistic or unreasonable about things... or debates I should say. Like I do sometimes.

My biggest beefs, as far as being a conservative goes are gun rights, CP and accountability. From then on, it doesn't matter what the topic is. Other than that, it's live and let live' as far as I'm concerned.

I was 'liberal' once, due to the fact that my folks were left-wing radicals from the 1960's... some things I could agree with them on, some I didn't. Eventually, in their late 40's they turned conservative... to their convienence as most folks do. And yes, it was about money.

Times change, people change.

Roamy
27th April 2010, 05:00
I understand that. That's no problem as far as I am concerned, even though we will continue to disagree at times.

You did believe in some extent of gun ownership, plus it didn't appear that you were entirely sure about the reasons behind the release of the Lockerbie bomber being a good thing.

Additionally it took me a while to figure out that you don't get all balistic or unreasonable about things... or debates I should say. Like I do sometimes.

My biggest beefs, as far as being a conservative goes are gun rights, CP and accountability. From then on, it doesn't matter what the topic is. Other than that, it's live and let live' as far as I'm concerned.

I was 'liberal' once, due to the fact that my folks were left-wing radicals from the 1960's... some things I could agree with them on, some I didn't. Eventually, in their late 40's they turned conservative... to their convienence as most folks do. And yes, it was about money.

Times change, people change.

well if he had a gun he probably would not have gotten stabbed

Mark in Oshawa
27th April 2010, 07:06

Just a tad...then again, we know where you stand, and we don't think less of you for it. Some of us think there is a latent conservative in there somewheres...lol...