PDA

View Full Version : Steve Arpin

Easy Drifter
23rd April 2010, 19:54
Who??????
He is a Cdn. from Northern Ontario. Not a racing hotbed!
He won the last two ARCA races at Salem and Texas.
He qualified 5th for tonight's ARCA race at Talladega.
Dale Jr. put him the #7 for the Talladega Nationwide race. The car Danica was so brilliant in.
His first ever Nationwide race, or time in a Nationwide car.
He managed to squeak into the race by qualifying 4th.

I do not really expect him to do so well in the actual race. Just not enough experience.

harvick#1
23rd April 2010, 20:54
anyone, and I mean anyone can Qualify on Pole for Talladega, its 99.99% car, .01% driver in Qualifying

we'll all see what he does tomorrow, or he also may pull to the back at the start to stay out of the way and learn

beachgirl
23rd April 2010, 21:37
anyone, and I mean anyone can Qualify on Pole for Talladega, its 99.99% car, .01% driver in Qualifying

we'll all see what he does tomorrow, or he also may pull to the back at the start to stay out of the way and learn

Same thing was said about Daytona. So, we WILL see how things go. I'm not betting on pulling to the back at the start to stay out of the way, though. I'm thinking he's a racer, not a driver.

Easy Drifter
24th April 2010, 00:52
Running 2nd in ARCA on last lap, where he had been for many laps when he spun. Oh well.
Maybe tomorrow but Nationwide will be a lot tougher and he has little experience outside of short tracks.
Us Canucks have to hope! :D

Mark in Oshawa
25th April 2010, 20:11
The next great Canadian hope is from that racing hotbed of Fort Frances....which may be as far away from racing in Canada as any place outside of Newfoundland or the Territories. However, he did go south, because it is on the border with Minnesota...so he basically is a product of the short tracks of Minnesota, which last I looked hasn't produced a NASCAR driver other than the one off attempts by Leighton Reese...

He looked good in ARCA until that last lap...and then...well experience or the lack thereof bit him I think...

TURN3
25th April 2010, 22:34
I'll be pulling for him! Anytime the #7 in on track without you know who, I'm pulling for them. Especially if it is a young up and comer with some talent.

slorydn1
25th April 2010, 23:39
I'd like to see Arpin run well in nascar...he seems like a good kid

Mark in Oshawa
26th April 2010, 00:56
I'll be pulling for him! Anytime the #7 in on track without you know who, I'm pulling for them. Especially if it is a young up and comer with some talent.

He was running up front in the Nationwide race....mind you...it is Dega. Unlike some people, I think I want to see him in a NW car on a regular race track before I put him ahead of the Danica. That said, I think he will at least be in the conversation on the lead lap on a track like Fontana...unlike you know who.

TURN3
26th April 2010, 01:22
He was running up front in the Nationwide race....mind you...it is Dega. Unlike some people, I think I want to see him in a NW car on a regular race track before I put him ahead of the Danica. That said, I think he will at least be in the conversation on the lead lap on a track like Fontana...unlike you know who.

He ran great today, didn't get the finish but under exact same circumstances as you know who, (1st time N-wide, 1st time superspeedway), I'd say he had a much more productive outing. I doubt very seriously that they'd bring him in after letting Byres go unless he could drive. Byres could drive too, sounds like sponsors didn't like him because he didn't have a big enough name. You know who wasn't up to speed with the 88 so if you follow my analogy, I'd say she stinks and Arpin probably will be fine.

beachgirl
26th April 2010, 02:38
After all the massive damage that JRM has had to both NW cars so far this year, it'll be interesting to see if they can even answer the bell by New Hampshire. Unless of course PimpDaddy comes through with major, major bucks for lots of new cars.

Mark in Oshawa
26th April 2010, 03:48
He ran great today, didn't get the finish but under exact same circumstances as you know who, (1st time N-wide, 1st time superspeedway), I'd say he had a much more productive outing. I doubt very seriously that they'd bring him in after letting Byres go unless he could drive. Byres could drive too, sounds like sponsors didn't like him because he didn't have a big enough name. You know who wasn't up to speed with the 88 so if you follow my analogy, I'd say she stinks and Arpin probably will be fine.

Actually, you have to include his ARCA run Friday, and he was 2nd on the white flag lap before getting shuffled out of the draft and into a wreck coming out of 4....

Today he was in a deeper pool obviously, but he didn't embarass himself...

I think one ore two more goes behind a NW car and his coming out into the upper echelons will be started...Because no one knew of this guy outside of his home town and racing in Minnesota it seems..and all the sudden...this guy is turning heads.

harvick#1
26th April 2010, 03:54
Crissy Wallace was also impressive for the first half of the race, fighting up for a top 10 before the limits of a small team hurt her.

but as it is, its Talladega, basically like an IRL cookie cutter race, but alot tougher, full throttle with limited braking for pitting.

I'd like to see what Steve can do on a track that requires skill

TURN3
26th April 2010, 04:09
Actually, you have to include his ARCA run Friday, and he was 2nd on the white flag lap before getting shuffled out of the draft and into a wreck coming out of 4....

Today he was in a deeper pool obviously, but he didn't embarass himself...

I think one ore two more goes behind a NW car and his coming out into the upper echelons will be started...Because no one knew of this guy outside of his home town and racing in Minnesota it seems..and all the sudden...this guy is turning heads.

I know what you're saying. I wasn't comparing him to the young great talents, more the more famous, more experienced counter part of his in the #7 car. His run today under very similiar circumstances shows us the difference between somebody in over their head with talent and somebody in over their head without it.

Mark in Oshawa
26th April 2010, 05:03
Crissy Wallace was also impressive for the first half of the race, fighting up for a top 10 before the limits of a small team hurt her.

but as it is, its Talladega, basically like an IRL cookie cutter race, but alot tougher, full throttle with limited braking for pitting.

I'd like to see what Steve can do on a track that requires skill

Well he won 2 races in ARCA. Take that for what it is...but they were on "skill" tracks, Salem IN and Texas....so there, one short track, one cookie cutter, and going into Dega he was leading the points. Not bad for a guy from Fort Frances ON. Listen, if he wasn't Canadian, I wouldn't likely be paying as much attention as I now am. This country is dying for a breakthrough full time in NASCAR.....

That said, if he was someone buying his ride with limited talent and a portfolio of pretty pictures, he could be my brother and I would have a problem backing him...

harvick#1
26th April 2010, 05:32
ARCA is no Nationwide or Truck Series though. Steve seemed to hold his own today before getting involved in the big crash, but I'd like to see what hes got in a Nationwide car on some non-plate tracks before we can really see what hes got

Mark in Oshawa
26th April 2010, 06:13
ARCA is no Nationwide or Truck Series though. Steve seemed to hold his own today before getting involved in the big crash, but I'd like to see what hes got in a Nationwide car on some non-plate tracks before we can really see what hes got

I bet he wants a go too. ARCA isn't bad tho..if you win races in ARCA, you have to be doing something right, and he won two back to back.

I am optimistic he will hold his own....

Iceman778
13th May 2010, 19:40
yes ofcourse he should be