PDA

View Full Version : Has it all gone a bit Pete Tong?

CarlMetro
22nd April 2010, 21:47
Just interested in the thoughts and views of the masses on this one.

Here we are approaching the second round of a new season of the mighty BTCC and yet I can't help but feel that it seems to be a bit weird.

No works teams, not even Vauxhall whom I thought were in it for life.

No drive for either of the last two seasons Champions and plenty of other 'big name' or talented drivers missing also.

The first chance ITV get not to show a live race, they make their excuses and jump at the chance.

Drivers in what have proved to be race winning cars under-performing

I'm just wondering what's next? Or am I reading this season wrong so far?

Alfa Fan
22nd April 2010, 22:05
Just interested in the thoughts and views of the masses on this one.

Here we are approaching the second round of a new season of the mighty BTCC and yet I can't help but feel that it seems to be a bit weird.

No works teams, not even Vauxhall whom I thought were in it for life.

No drive for either of the last two seasons Champions and plenty of other 'big name' or talented drivers missing also.

The first chance ITV get not to show a live race, they make their excuses and jump at the chance.

Drivers in what have proved to be race winning cars under-performing

I'm just wondering what's next? Or am I reading this season wrong so far?

Hmm there's 2 works teams - Honda & Chevrolet

ITV is a problem - end of the year we won't be on their network anymore

I see no reason why so long as the economy has picked up by the winter we won't have a stronger 2011.

CarlMetro
22nd April 2010, 22:42
Hmm there's 2 works teams - Honda & Chevrolet

Ah, my bad, didn't know they were offical teams, thought they were just Dynamics and RML :rolleyes:

BDunnell
22nd April 2010, 22:53
It's a bit of an odd year in terms of drivers, but sadly it has long been the case that personal backing is no reflection of ability. Maybe we shouldn't be so surprised that the private sector gets it wrong! It does also seem to me that a lot of enthusiasts don't want new drivers like Nash, MacDowall and Glew to come through, and that they'd rather always see a selection of big overseas names. Personally, I'm more than happy to see drivers coming up from the support series, while also being very disappointed that the reigning champion, probably still an under-rated driver in many ways, is unable to get a seat anywhere. That is an adverse comment on more than just the BTCC.

As for ITV, I don't think that's a concern at all. Only recently some people on here were saying that they didn't feel live coverage was as good an option as a delayed broadcast; not that this is anything other than a one-off, it appears.

PDS
22nd April 2010, 23:56
Not another thread of the doom and gloom of the BTCC??

The BTCC has been with us in one shape or another since 1958!

In 2010 we will see at least 25 drivers take part in the championship!

In 2001 the season started with just 8 touring cars with the rest of the grid made-up with Production cars!

Just because we have no foreign drivers doesn't make the championship inferior.

The BTCC has more competitors than any other National S2000 Championship. In fact it is only the organisers of the BTCC that are looking to the future of national touring car racing in an attempt to make a more level playing field for all competitors to continue for years to come.

We may have only two past BTCC Champions but we do have other younger talent that have won other national race championships.

Don't demean these drivers ability by constantly complaining about the calibre of drivers we have.

Let’s applaud all the teams and drivers for spending all their hard earned, or in some cases scrounged money, to entertain us at weekends…. I do!

CarlMetro
23rd April 2010, 09:23
Well there we go then, all's good with the world, and the BTCC is stronger than it ever was HURRAH!

Iain
23rd April 2010, 12:59
This is another transitional year, like 2000 was, except we've got a healthier field than before to watch. But I'm afraid in my opinion, it's lost a lot of it's appeal this year. My interest was waning anyway due to the departure of the likes of Muller and Thompson and the driving standards, but this year it doesn't appeal to me at all. And I never thought I'd ever say that about something I've watched for 20 years.

If I'm going to spend £30-£40 for a weekend at a race meeting, it needs to have big name drivers taking part to justify that. I just can't get excited about watching gentleman drivers in 5-10 year old cars trundling around behind 6-8 professional drivers. And that's meant with no disrespect to those guys, they're entitled to spend their money however they want.

That's partly why I like GTs and sportscars now. Going to the FIA GT1s next weekend at Silverstone, where you can watch the likes of Darren Turner, Tomas Enge, Romain Grosjean, Karl Wendlinger, Peter Kox, Peter Dumbreck and more well known drivers. Then there's the LMS in September with Alesi, Fisichella, McNish, Mansell, Kristensen etc. And all for a similar ticket price to the BTCC. But then that's just my opinion. I'll maybe go to Knockhill, just to keep up the tradition, but I won't be doing anymore English rounds. Maybe if the social side was still there like we had back in 2001-2004 (by that I mean all the forum meets), then it wouldn't be so bad, but it's a lot of fuel money for what's on.

Even the support package is lacking now. The best thing on it is the Ginetta Juniors. The Porsches are boring, Formula Renault the same, the G50s are ok, but the Clios aren't that great anymore. Nothing compared to the previous model.

I can only hope the NGTC era brings back some of the more well known drivers, as well as giving us bigger, faster, louder cars to watch. You can have a conversation with somebody watching an S2000 race, this was never possible with Super Touring!

RMLCruzeing82
23rd April 2010, 14:44
Not another thread of the doom and gloom of the BTCC??

The BTCC has been with us in one shape or another since 1958!

In 2010 we will see at least 25 drivers take part in the championship!

In 2001 the season started with just 8 touring cars with the rest of the grid made-up with Production cars!

Just because we have no foreign drivers doesn't make the championship inferior.

The BTCC has more competitors than any other National S2000 Championship. In fact it is only the organisers of the BTCC that are looking to the future of national touring car racing in an attempt to make a more level playing field for all competitors to continue for years to come.

We may have only two past BTCC Champions but we do have other younger talent that have won other national race championships.

Don't demean these drivers ability by constantly complaining about the calibre of drivers we have.

Let’s applaud all the teams and drivers for spending all their hard earned, or in some cases scrounged money, to entertain us at weekends…. I do!

i agree.

just look at Plato and Turkington just for eg. started off in the BTCC coming from a one make championships. plato from the Renault Spider Cup and Turkington coming from the Ford Fiesta Zetec championship. both were (dear i say it) nobody's really in the world of motor sport. now look at them...both touring car champions and highly respected racing drivers

i believe the new bread of touring car drivers have alot to offer. Glew and McDowell to name two. they are the future of the BTCC and im looking forward to it. BTCC FOREVER!!!

UltimateDanGTR
23rd April 2010, 17:04
From my persepctive, 2010 is more about looking to the future rather than this year itself-the future is bright, but without Turks, Gio etc the present isn't as good.

as the economic situation recovers, new rules come in, the new generation get better and better we will have a greater BTCC than we have now. Its the same situation with WTCC-except they are going to have a poorer 2010, compared to the BTCC's.

2011 and beyond is what i cant wait for!

Alfa Fan
23rd April 2010, 17:27
But looking to the future is it all that strong?

- No one has committed to building a single NGTC car yet
- Teams struggling to run cars they've got atm, WSR, 888, Motorbase all having their difficulties.
- TV deal up at the end of the year, BTCC treatment already declining, unlikely to be renewed for 2011.

But it's not a BTCC specific problem. Touring car racing and British motorsport are both desperately struggling this year. So sad..

BDunnell
23rd April 2010, 19:20
But it's not a BTCC specific problem. Touring car racing and British motorsport are both desperately struggling this year.

I don't agree with 'desperately struggling'. Both the BTCC and WTCC grids are perfectly healthy in terms of numbers of cars, even with the various withdrawals. What is more concerning to me is the lack of unity between the future rule books for the two championships as currently proposed.

Alfa Fan
23rd April 2010, 19:50
Who exactly is planning to enter the WTCC next year though? Not SEAT or BMW as works teams..

AndySpeed
23rd April 2010, 20:14
Who exactly is planning to enter the WTCC next year though? Not SEAT or BMW as works teams..

BMW are certainly erring on the side of DTM, with this year possibly being their last in WTCC I feel. The WTCC still remains a fantastic proving ground for manufacturers - however it can only take one season with not enough interest to kill a championship unfortunately. This is where the BTCC stands stronger I hope.

BDunnell
23rd April 2010, 20:28
BMW are certainly erring on the side of DTM, with this year possibly being their last in WTCC I feel. The WTCC still remains a fantastic proving ground for manufacturers - however it can only take one season with not enough interest to kill a championship unfortunately. This is where the BTCC stands stronger I hope.

In many ways, it's good that the FIA has been quieter of late, but equally I wonder whether it has much of an idea of what it's going to do with the WTCC. It is a difficult conundrum, for sure.

Alfa Fan
23rd April 2010, 20:41
Jonathan Ashman and the rest of the bureaucrats have a lot to answer for.

Touring cars needs to decide which way its going to. Whether it is going to remain a competition between manufacturers, teams and different cars like it always has been in the BTCC, or whether they are going to go down the route of GT3 and laterly GT1 with all the cars equalised (in theory). I know which I'd prefer...

Eurotech
23rd April 2010, 22:08
So much for equalization by the FIA... did anyone watch the the GT1 race in Abu Dhabi? ;)

Allyc85
23rd April 2010, 22:10
Yep, and already teams are kicking up a fuss!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83111

Northern Monkey
24th April 2010, 12:21
But looking to the future is it all that strong?

- No one has committed to building a single NGTC car yet
- Teams struggling to run cars they've got atm, WSR, 888, Motorbase all having their difficulties.
- TV deal up at the end of the year, BTCC treatment already declining, unlikely to be renewed for 2011.

But it's not a BTCC specific problem. Touring car racing and British motorsport are both desperately struggling this year. So sad..

How do you know people haven't committed to building NGTC cars - teams may well have plans moving forwards now they know more on the regs but don't want to shout about it. Also, considering that most teams are focused on their current programmes, NGTC isn't at the forefront of their minds.

Also, TV deal unlikely to be renewed - says who? Treatment isn't declining - there is one race weekend where the final race isn't being shown live. It's not like ITV are turning round and saying 'Well the cricket is on so we'll give you 30 mins of highlights instead of all the live stuff'. And if it was declining, why would they have given extra coverage this year....