PDA

View Full Version : American Muslim's advocate murder...without saying so.

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 22:18
Anderson Cooper on CNN is to be commended. He highlights in this story here about some Muslims who are targeting Matt Parker and Trey Stone of South Park fame. The old, "don't portray Mohammed" threat is back, and of course, Parker and Stone leave no one unscathed, took a fun little shot at all religion. All in good fun and satire right?

No...apparently not...

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/anderson-cooper-finds-radical-islamic-threats-on-south-park-team-chilling/

People like this American Muslim interviewed for the Cooper story play real fast and loose with the free speech provisions in the Constitution, but would I am sure ignore them if it suited their purposes.

I have such a distaste for this sort of mentality that would threaten people over this crap, but hey...it is the consequences of a free society. We have idiots..but god forbid some radicalized Muslim actually carries out the threat....

Roamy
22nd April 2010, 03:37
If I were the muslims I would NOT be killing people in the South. The liberal north is a much better place to operate.

markabilly
22nd April 2010, 04:01
well, unless they were reporters with cameras, I am outraged as well....

Eki
22nd April 2010, 08:23
I don't think they are advocating murder, but warning that somebody (not necessarily them) might take it too seriously and revenge it with violence. Those kind of things have happened before (Theo Van Gogh murder, dead threats and attempted murder of the Danish cartoonist).

It's a bit like saying that don't drink and drive or somebody might get killed. It's not a threat to kill somebody if somebody drinks and drives.

Robinho
22nd April 2010, 09:38
i get that Muslims feel portraying Muhammed is blasphemous, but in the episode isn't Muhammed dressed head to toe in a bear costume and therefore not portrayed?

do they realise that most other religons were panned in this (and many other) episodes. there isn't a group that has been excluded from the South Park treatment. WTF is wrong with people?

did you see the Iranian cleric who has this week blamed the earthquakes that have killed scores in the region in recent years on promiscious women. how can people continue to be guided by these ridiculous ideals (and i'm not just taking about Islam here but all organised religon)

ShiftingGears
22nd April 2010, 10:05
LOL some people need a sense of humour.

F1boat
22nd April 2010, 10:37
how can people continue to be guided by these ridiculous ideals (and i'm not just taking about Islam here but all organised religon)

It is very unfortunate, really. These people, the fundies, live in a simulacrum in which they are slaves who must tremble with fear from some sky king, kiss his feet for every nice thing that happens to them and feeling guilty about every bad thing. I am very sad that people are still oppressed but the clerics. Since the very beginning of civilization they are awful and unforgiving tyrants.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd April 2010, 14:24

I am afraid you cant have that and be a Muslim.....or so the radicals would have you believe.

The sad part of it is, the guy making these veiled threats is an American, NOT from the Middle East even ethnically. He is a "convert" and like the attackers of the bus and subways in London, grew up in a society offering him the freedom to choose his religion, the freedom of speech to be able to speak his mind without retribution, and lives with any and all of the advantages of living in a free society. HE however advocates a Muslim/Sharia state....because he doesn't feel WE need anything but Islam.....

I'll put it down to mental illness in this case personally.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd April 2010, 14:26
I don't think they are advocating murder, but warning that somebody (not necessarily them) might take it too seriously and revenge it with violence. Those kind of things have happened before (Theo Van Gogh murder, dead threats and attempted murder of the Danish cartoonist).

It's a bit like saying that don't drink and drive or somebody might get killed. It's not a threat to kill somebody if somebody drinks and drives.

Oh they are calling for it without putting themselves in legal jeopardy.

Tell me Eki, was the killing of Theo Van Gogh Right? Did the Dane who did the cartoons deserve to have a bullseye on him?

Eki
22nd April 2010, 14:34
Tell me Eki, was the killing of Theo Van Gogh Right? Did the Dane who did the cartoons deserve to have a bullseye on him?
Of course not, but do people deserve a warning if they are going to do something dangerous?

Mark in Oshawa
22nd April 2010, 14:51
Of course not, but do people deserve a warning if they are going to do something dangerous?

Yes...and no. You should warn people when they are about to walk near a cliff with no railing, but in the case of Parker and Stone, to have some American Taliban cretin advocating their demise in public by some unknown assailiants is like libel chill. It is an affront to free speech rights.

There is warning people of real dangers from unforseen or obvious dangers. It is quite another to threaten people based on your opinion. This is no different than the lawsuit between one of the IPCC scientests and some of his detractors over the You Tube video the detractors posted. (See TonyVOP's link on the Global Warming thread,post 511).

Daniel
22nd April 2010, 15:39
Yes...and no. You should warn people when they are about to walk near a cliff with no railing, but in the case of Parker and Stone, to have some American Taliban cretin advocating their demise in public by some unknown assailiants is like libel chill. It is an affront to free speech rights.

There is warning people of real dangers from unforseen or obvious dangers. It is quite another to threaten people based on your opinion. This is no different than the lawsuit between one of the IPCC scientests and some of his detractors over the You Tube video the detractors posted. (See TonyVOP's link on the Global Warming thread,post 511).
I personally think that if they're going to do something dangerous that they SHOULD be warned.

Free speach is great, but when someone's blown you up it's a moot point.

Bob Riebe
22nd April 2010, 16:51
do they realise that most other religons were panned in this (and many other) episodes. If you have been paying any attention to what goes on in the name of Islam, they do not give a damn about anyone, or anything, else.

. how can people continue to be guided by these ridiculous ideals (and i'm not just taking about Islam here but all organised religon)

Your doctrinaire of one size fits all, is no better than the persons/groups you just set yourself as being superior to.``

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2010, 06:52
I personally think that if they're going to do something dangerous that they SHOULD be warned.

Free speach is great, but when someone's blown you up it's a moot point.

The thing is Daniel, free speech means being free to make it without some agent or group advocating physical harm against you.

This guy was REALLY tiptowing around what he wants to happen, because you cannot threatened someone with death publically in the US. He obviously has been advised or educated by legal people on what he could say and he said it.

I don't think Parker and Stone are losing much sleep over it, but they have been ticking off the rich, famous, and sometimes thin skinned for YEARS. I think this one tho is a different "insult". They did this to test the water..and prove the point to draw these idiots out. If any Muslim nut job takes a run at them, this will really do Islam some harm.....at least in The USA.

In the Middle East, they think this is ok....killing a few people for portraying Mohammed in any form clearly is within the mores of society....

F1boat
23rd April 2010, 07:01
The thing is Daniel, free speech means being free to make it without some agent or group advocating physical harm against you.

I agree.

Sonic
23rd April 2010, 07:38
I agree with most of the comments here - South Park has taken a pop at everything and everyone. If you don't like it, don't watch it (does anyone actually still watch it??) Simples.

That said i'd like to hear from a Muslim (do we have any on the boards?). Does this offend the average Joe, or is it just being siezed upon by extreme elements?

Eki
23rd April 2010, 08:44
Do these people realise that they are damaging the perception of their own religion by demonstrating the "Islam is about preaching peace, but if you say anything negative we'll 'effin' kill you all" viewpoint?... We seem to see this time and time again, and its puzzling to determin whether its what the average honest Muslim feels, or whether this is the extremist trouble makers wishing to incite violence.
A bit like countries that have death penalty demonstrate the "We value human life, but if you murder someone we'll 'effin' murder you" viewpoint.

MrJan
23rd April 2010, 13:43
I think that it's the ginger lad that Trey and Matt need to be more scared of "GINGERS HAVE SOULS!!!", ha ha, makes me laugh every time.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2010, 15:25
A bit like countries that have death penalty demonstrate the "We value human life, but if you murder someone we'll 'effin' murder you" viewpoint.

This is a bit different tho Eki. Religion is supposed to be above the mere affairs of state. Religion's as a whole with the exception of Islam come out firmly AGAINST capital punishment....

Bob Riebe
23rd April 2010, 16:00
That analogy is absurd to the point of crapping on those who have had their loved ones raped, butchered and murdered.
Such rhetoric is pathetically arrogant.

Bob Riebe
23rd April 2010, 16:01
This is a bit different tho Eki. Religion is supposed to be above the mere affairs of state. Religion's as a whole with the exception of Islam come out firmly AGAINST capital punishment....
Which ones-- do not put Christianity in thier, unless you are writing your own personal christian dogma.

Roamy
23rd April 2010, 16:29

so u don't believe in an eye for an eye

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2010, 16:50
Which ones-- do not put Christianity in thier, unless you are writing your own personal christian dogma.

Bob...MOST Christian faiths do NOT advocate the death penalty. Something about Christian mercy or something? Yes...some faith's in the US do sanction it, but when the Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury and a few others don't, I would hazard most organized Christian religion is against the death penalty.

Me personally? I am too, although I can understand why it is a useful thing to some people. I just don't have the faith in the justice system to be right often enough. Unless the guy is caught in the act, usually the cops and DA's have to really fight to get the conviction...and some have either gotten the wrong guy, or fabricated evidence....

The fact is, Too many people have gone to death row innocent or at least, not guilty of the murder they are accused of.....

Bob Riebe
23rd April 2010, 20:19
Bob...MOST Christian faiths do NOT advocate the death penalty. Something about Christian mercy or something? Yes...some faith's in the US do sanction it, but when the Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury and a few others don't, I would hazard most organized Christian religion is against the death penalty.

Me personally? I am too, although I can understand why it is a useful thing to some people. I just don't have the faith in the justice system to be right often enough. Unless the guy is caught in the act, usually the cops and DA's have to really fight to get the conviction...and some have either gotten the wrong guy, or fabricated evidence....

The fact is, Too many people have gone to death row innocent or at least, not guilty of the murder they are accused of.....
There is only one Christian Faith, you are speaking of denominations and such.

The Bible condones and does not condemn capital punishment.
It does not say it is an absolute automatic response, but that it is fine if it is levied.
What the Bible does not tolerate is punishment that exceeds the level of a crime; i.e. if one takes an eye, then justice may do no worse than take the offenders eye.
It does not say one must remove the offenders eye, but if done that is the proper most severe punishment.

AAReagles
24th April 2010, 18:15

... or a job, instead of sitting around all day watching South Park - then finding an excuse to launch a jihad, just so their life will have some sort of meaning... as a possible martyr of course. :dozey:

Brown, Jon Brow
24th April 2010, 18:21

A lot of people don't.

AAReagles
24th April 2010, 18:22

How about an eye for an Eki instead. Ooops! ;)

anthonyvop
25th April 2010, 00:32
http://dailycaller.com/2010/04/24/may-20-is-everybody-draw-muhammad-day/

May 20 is ‘Everybody Draw Muhammad Day’
By The Daily Caller | Published: 04/24/10 at 4:31 PM | Updated: 04/24/10 at 4:32 PM
Email This Article
Print This Article
Bookmark and Share

In response to Comedy Central’s recent decision to censor potentially offensive images of Mohammed from a “South Park” episode — which followed thinly veiled threats against the shows’ creators’ lives — the Citizens Against Citizens Against Humor have declared May 20 ‘Everybody Draw Muhammad Day.’

Not everyone’s happy with the stunt, which is designed to protest censorship and political correctness. Blogger Ann Althouse, for example, says the planned event goes too far and risks offending too many innocent victims. Wrote Althouse:

I don’t like the in-your-face message that we don’t care about what other people hold sacred. Back in the days of the “Piss Christ” controversy, I wouldn’t have supported an “Everybody Dunk a Crucifix in a Jar of Urine Day” to protest censorship. Dunking a crucifix in a jar of urine is something I have a perfect right to do, but it would gratuitously hurt many Christian bystanders to the controversy. I think opposing violence (and censorship) can be done in much better ways.

More via AP:

After Comedy Central cut a portion of a South Park episode following a death threat from a radical Muslim group, Seattle cartoonist Molly Norris wanted to counter the fear. She has declared May 20th “Everybody Draw Mohammed Day.”

Norris told KIRO Radio’s Dave Ross that cartoonists are meant to challenge the lines of political correctness. “That’s a cartoonist’s job, to be non-PC.”

Producers of South Park said Thursday that Comedy Central removed a speech about intimidation and fear from their show after a radical Muslim group warned that they could be killed for insulting the Prophet Muhammad.

The group said it wasn’t threatening South Park producers Trey Parker and Matt Stone, but it included a gruesome picture of Theo Van Gogh, a Dutch filmmaker killed by a Muslim extremist in 2004, and said the producers could meet the same fate. The website posted the addresses of Comedy Central’s New York office and the California production studio where South Park is made.

“As a cartoonist I just felt so much passion about what had happened I wanted to kind of counter Comedy Central’s message they sent about feeling afraid,” Norris said.

Norris has asked other artists to submit drawings of any religious figure to be posted as part of Citizens Against Citizens Against Humor (CACAH) on May 20th.

On her website Norris explains this is not meant to disrespect any religion, but rather meant to protect people’s right to express themselves.

BDunnell
25th April 2010, 01:09
The lack of any sense of humour displayed by religious zealots of numerous denominations — Catholics, Muslims and many others — never ceases to astonish. For instance, I would personally give this civil servant some sort of medal for services to comedy: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8642404.stm

Mark in Oshawa
25th April 2010, 03:32
There is only one Christian Faith, you are speaking of denominations and such.

The Bible condones and does not condemn capital punishment.
It does not say it is an absolute automatic response, but that it is fine if it is levied.
What the Bible does not tolerate is punishment that exceeds the level of a crime; i.e. if one takes an eye, then justice may do no worse than take the offenders eye.
It does not say one must remove the offenders eye, but if done that is the proper most severe punishment.

Perhaps, and you right, I should have used denominations...but I was up late posting that I believe. Anyhow, I know you say the Bible condones it....but I suspect in some later book in the New Testament there could be one not in favour of it too for all I know (not a Biblical scholor per se). The point is, many major denominations of Christianity are lead by people who don't approve of it.

Mark in Oshawa
25th April 2010, 03:34
The lack of any sense of humour displayed by religious zealots of numerous denominations — Catholics, Muslims and many others — never ceases to astonish. For instance, I would personally give this civil servant some sort of medal for services to comedy: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8642404.stm

Well...some churches and denominations may not have the sense of humour, but you don't have the Pope threatening performance artists or comics for taking shots at the Catholic Church with death.

Islam is the only major world religion that seems to be ok with this sort of thing. Most Muslims wouldn't personally approve of it, but they don't say word one against some Mullah saying Parker and Stone should end up dead either...