PDA

View Full Version : Hair

CarlMetro
21st April 2010, 15:35
Ever since I read, and participated in, what was probably the greatest thread this forum has ever and will ever bare witness too, I am of course refering to the legendary 'Scrunch or Fold' thread, I have had a quest for knowledge about my fellow forum members.

This one is somewhat inspired by the meeting I had eary this morning with a gentleman in his mid-fifties who had the most horrendous wig I have ever seen. It wasn't even a slight match for the little bit of hair he still had around the sides and I had a real problem with trying not to stare at it to see if it moved of it's own free will.

So, my questions go something like this:-

1. Would you ever consider wearing or do you already wear a wig?

2. Do you dye your hair to cover up the grey or will you do so when the grey starts to appear? If so at what point, it at all, will you stop doing so?

and for the folically challenged

3. Do you remember when you had hair?

tannat
21st April 2010, 15:42

2. Do you dye your hair to cover up the grey or will you do so when the grey starts to appear? If so at what point, it at all, will you stop doing so?

1) No

2) No. I bought my own clippers about 17 years ago and have never turned back from the stubble look. Comes across okay in the "salt and pepper" guise :D

3) Yes-grows quite thick and unmanageable

schmenke
21st April 2010, 16:09
Ever since I read, and participated in, what was probably the greatest thread this forum has ever and will ever bare witness too, I am of course refering to the legendary 'Scrunch or Fold' thread ...

Ah yes, the golden era of quality posts! I remember them fondly :)

:erm:

But to satisfy your current inquisitiveness Mr. Metro:

1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes, I have vague recollections of more youthful times when a cap wasn’t a summer time necessity to avoid a sunburned scalp :s

Dave B
21st April 2010, 16:31
No way. It's the male equivalent of a Wonderbra: you see people staring and think they're admiring you but in reality they're wetting themselves with laughter.

Pertinent question for me as the grey hairs have just started - and worryingly some ginger ones in my eyebrows. But I'd rather go old gracefully than look like those pillocks in the Just For Men adverts.

Mine did start receding quite alarmingly a few years back but mercifully seems to have stopped. The male side of my family is quite hirsute (actually the female side isn't far behind) so there may be some hope for me to retain a decent barnet well into old age.

Caroline
21st April 2010, 17:00
For a moment I had a weird flashback and I thought that we were going to reopen the 'James Thompson's hair' thread again. If ever there was an in depth racing discussion thread, that was it. It was crucial reading.

GridGirl
21st April 2010, 18:42
I'd never wear a wig. A girl that I work with was diagnosed with leukemia about 18 months ago. She had chemo and radio therapy. She didn't loose all of her hair but it came out in clumps. She wore a head scarf while she was having treatment and for about a week when she came back to work. Then she spent almost £1000 on hair extentions. They put a fine mesh just above the scalp and attatched the extentions to the hair she still had and then threaded the hair through the mesh. The mesh spread the hair around so you couldn't actually tell she didn't actually have much hair or was bald in places. You could only really tell when you looked closely and as her hair eventually grew back the mesh was removed and she just had the normal extentions left. It cost alot of money initially and in maintenance but she didn't want to wear a wig or a head scarf on her wedding day.

I have only found two grey hairs and they mortified me. I haven't started dyeing my hair but as soon as it show's I will be straight down the hairdressers to get it sorted out. I can't say I'm looking forward to a hair appointment costing around £100 instead of around £40.

I seriously hope I never go bald!

donKey jote
21st April 2010, 21:49
1. No
2. No
3. Vaguely :p

Hey Carl :wave:

Sonic
21st April 2010, 22:06
Well I'm screwed on all genetic hair fronts! Both branches of the family tree are.....erm.....shall we say, too tall for their hair.

I'm doing better than my Grandfather though; he was totally bald aged 30. So unless all my hair falls out in the next few months I'll make that milestone with the majority of my hair.

So in answer to the questions;

1) Hell no!
2) just call me the silver fox!
3) I don't much like the way my hairline is receding. Think Bruce Willis or phil collins stylee!

KILOHMUNNS
21st April 2010, 22:06
1. Never

2. No

3. Oh yes, I used to have hair halfway down my back. Now very little and greying :eek:

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 22:23
So, my questions go something like this:-

1) NO
2) NO
3) Still have most of mine...some of it gray, and thinning on top.

There are no rugs in my future. I figure you aint fooling no one...so why bother?

CarlMetro
21st April 2010, 23:46
Hey Carl :wave:

:wave:

Rudy Tamasz
22nd April 2010, 07:56
1. No.
2. No.
3. I still have it. Whatever disappeared from my head showed up elsewhere on my body.

slorydn1
22nd April 2010, 11:53
1 No, not ever, not gonna happen
2 No....and at 40 I am starting to get the gray hair hear and there look
3 I have too much...if one of you wig wearers need to borrow some...... :s mokin:

fandango
22nd April 2010, 21:07
1. Would I wear a wig? Why the hell not? It would be cool if wigs were in fashion and you could have a few, depending on your mood. However, wearing a wig which is trying to be like your natural hair and failing, or even, a wig that is itself going bald (I've seen such a creature) is definitely not on.

2. I don't dye my hair to cover up the grey, but I would consider it. The woman who cuts my hair has mentioned doing it, but I literally don't have time. What's the problem? If you are grey, and you don't want to be grey, surely the solution is pretty straightforward. But if it's in some desperate hope to attract ladies or appear young or both, it's probably not going to work. And those "oh, now I've just realised I like you" cougars in the just for men ads are pretty weird looking.

But if you want to change your appearance leave the complexes out of it, and that goes for wigs, piercings, tattoos and plastic surgery. Although I should add that even a well-balanced individual probably should avoid getting all of those treatments in the same day.

3. Still have lots of hair, but I wouldn't worry about going bald. You can always shave it off and/or wear a wig.

Having said all that, I draw the line at a combover, unless you're an orchestral conductor.

Hazell B
22nd April 2010, 21:17
Carl, you came back for this? This? THIS?
:eek:

No wig. No dye. Too much hair.

I think redheads like me have the most hairs per square inch, blondes the least. Being female (!) that means I've less chance of going bald, little chance of going grey and wouldn't be able to find a wig the right colour anyhow. I'd just wear bigger hats :p :

CarlMetro
22nd April 2010, 21:20
Carl, you came back for this? This? THIS?
:eek:

Oh come on, it's better than some of the stuff I've been reading lately. Have you meet my new bestest friend Wade?

schmenke
22nd April 2010, 21:23
I thought Carl came back because he missed us :(

Either way, Carl, your return was a hair-raising experience.

P.s. we missed you Carl :kiss: :D

CarlMetro
22nd April 2010, 21:28
Aww.......I'm touched.......I must be to come back again :p

slinkster
23rd April 2010, 23:28
No wig for me... bar fancy dress of course. ;)

I have highlights in my hair because my hair's got darker as I've got older.

There's a guy in my department at work who has an awful wig. Or at least we think it's a wig, the jury is still out and no one's brave enough to ask him. It doesn't even cover the back of his head, it just looks like a brush placed on the top of his head. Some people think it's his actual hair because it's got bits of grey in it... but whether it's a wig or not... it looks BAD.

fandango
24th April 2010, 14:56
Why do men always have to have to have some kind of excuse for doing stuff to their hair? Where's the "I wear a wig 'cause I think I look good" post? Or "I dye my hair because I want to"?

Roamy
24th April 2010, 15:22
1) NO
2) NO
3) Still have most of mine...some of it gray, and thinning on top.

But Carl I think the real question is "what were you doing in the morning with a guy wearing a wig"

Are you a little light in the step?? :)