PDA

View Full Version : isn't this what people wanted?!

Mike_Drummer
20th April 2010, 16:42
Exciting racing, lots of overtaking, crashes, THINGS TO TALK ABOUT!

I personally thought that the race in china was the best so far, so much going on! as much as everyone slates Hamliton, he is the most entertaining driver out there! its fun to watch, and people saying its amaeture hour, A. these are some of the best drivers in the world so shut it! and B. who cares! its fun!!!

I know exactly what people would be saying if all the races were like Bahrain.

I would like to say, well done forumla 1, you are now interesting, exciting and worth watching in my opinion!

Mike

UltimateDanGTR
20th April 2010, 16:53
well, the last 3 races have been rain affected, which added more excitement, and the only dry one was considered dull.

BUT Bahrain races are always dull, thus europe could literally throw up anything.

It's been great so far, I hope it continues.

and I hope mercedes find more speed, ad those maccas find that quali speed for a truly great title fight!

SGWilko
20th April 2010, 16:56
well, the last 3 rain races have been rain affected

What, by rain I suppose........

You're kidding!!!!!! :laugh:

SGWilko
20th April 2010, 16:57
and I hope mercedes find more speed,

Yeah, they will - it's in the back of one of the trucks somewhere under a tarpaulin.......

Somebody
20th April 2010, 17:01
Just to reinforce what others said, rain disguises underlying problems very well - there was a good race at the Hungaroring the year it bucketed down.

And you can bet that, after Hamilton's race in Malaysia, no-one will be stopping more than the regulation single stop in a dry race from now on unless they're down to the canvas.

UltimateDanGTR
20th April 2010, 17:01
What, by rain I suppose........

You're kidding!!!!!! :laugh:

woops-epic typo there!

as for speed under a tarpaulin, you're not saying the stig is coming to the F1 are you? :D

SGWilko
20th April 2010, 17:03
woops-epic typo there!

as for speed under a tarpaulin, you're not saying the stig is coming to the F1 are you? :D

Well, according Jezza - the ramblers favourite - Clarkson, MS IS the Stig. (he's probably got a T-Shirt with that written on it too!!!!!!!) :)

SGWilko
20th April 2010, 17:06
Just to reinforce what others said, rain disguises underlying problems very well - there was a good race at the Hungaroring the year it bucketed down.

And you can bet that, after Hamilton's race in Malaysia, no-one will be stopping more than the regulation single stop in a dry race from now on unless they're down to the canvas.

Someone forgot to tell Red Bull then, because it shows up all their deficiencies.

steveaki13
20th April 2010, 17:57
I have really enjoyed all the races so far (Bahrain too).

F1 is great when it rains but its obviously not going to rain every race so we need to look for different types of action as the out and out overtaking of the last few races will not be possible, but I think we can still have some interesting races.

So yes I do want rain affected races with action but also normal races to see the season unfold and get an idea of the true order.

Saint Devote
21st April 2010, 00:32

I personally thought that the race in china was the best so far, so much going on! as much as everyone slates Hamliton, he is the most entertaining driver out there! its fun to watch, and people saying its amaeture hour, A. these are some of the best drivers in the world so shut it! and B. who cares! its fun!!!

I would like to say, well done forumla 1, you are now interesting, exciting and worth watching in my opinion!

Mike

"Everyone" is not attacking dear Lewis for overtaking, the only criticism has been over his, and Vettel's, decision to dice along the pit apron.

Had they collided or spun. It showed skant regard for the safety of the team personnel and a disregard for the rules indicated by the wide blue line.

Also, he is not the only driver overtaking - Massa in Bahrain passed the same amount of cars - Lewis is the driver that the cameras follow more and there is significant bias in his favour amongst the English speaking press and commentators.

Your view of F1 is an incorrect one because just as there have always been races where drivers pass each other, there are most others where the race involves perhaps one pass for the lead and it is an extremely rivetting race.

For example, the strategic fight between Lewis and Jenson in Malaysia - unlike all the other top teams, they started on opposite tyre choices.

If you are seeking great "track punch-ups" then dirt track racing or the yahoos in the Nation Cup is for you. F1 is not the place.

Only SOME of the best drivers? I suggest you need a re-education progam - PDQ :eek:

Roamy
21st April 2010, 03:05
With the exception of BoreRain
this is a great season so far

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 04:41
I start every season and usually lose interest about halfway thorough the Malaysian GP. Not this year.....

Jag_Warrior
21st April 2010, 10:13

Mike

I absolutely agree with you! :up:

But even in the best of times, some people will always find something to belly-ache about. They could be working in a pie factory, making $1000 per day and all the free pie they could eat... and some would still complain - it's just in their nature.

There's a GREAT mix of teams at the sharp end of the grid (not just a two horse race, as we often have had) and there's a GREAT mix of top shelf drivers vying for the crown. Yeah, Bohrain was a snoozer and most of us said so. And not all of the races will be a great as China was. But you take the bad with the good... and so far, most of it has been not just good, but great! :bounce:

If some others are p!ssing and moaning over little meaningless things, I guess it just sucks to be them - I don't care. Me, I'm loving it!!! :s mokin:

Brown, Jon Brow
21st April 2010, 13:19
Lets not forget that the next race is in Spain. When was the last time we had an exciting Spanish GP?

Mike_Drummer
21st April 2010, 13:30
"Everyone" is not attacking dear Lewis for overtaking, the only criticism has been over his, and Vettel's, decision to dice along the pit apron.

Had they collided or spun. It showed skant regard for the safety of the team personnel and a disregard for the rules indicated by the wide blue line.

Also, he is not the only driver overtaking - Massa in Bahrain passed the same amount of cars - Lewis is the driver that the cameras follow more and there is significant bias in his favour amongst the English speaking press and commentators.

Your view of F1 is an incorrect one because just as there have always been races where drivers pass each other, there are most others where the race involves perhaps one pass for the lead and it is an extremely rivetting race.

For example, the strategic fight between Lewis and Jenson in Malaysia - unlike all the other top teams, they started on opposite tyre choices.

If you are seeking great "track punch-ups" then dirt track racing or the yahoos in the Nation Cup is for you. F1 is not the place.

Only SOME of the best drivers? I suggest you need a re-education progam - PDQ :eek:

i think my view of F1 is my own view, and i am entitled to it, just as you are yours, yet you seem to think yours is more valid than mine?

all i was saying is that i am enjoying formula 1 as it is right now, if you find 1 pass for the lead "rivetting" then you are a different kind of race fan to me and thats fair enough. i just dont enjoy races which involve cars going round in the same order for the majority of the race.

and as far as a re education, perhaps being condescending is something you need to work out of your character, no one likes arrogance apart from the arrogant.

Mike

Mark
21st April 2010, 13:47
Who's moaning? Yes the last three races have been great, but each and every one has been rain affected. Which always leads to an exciting race.

What we want is exciting races in the dry too!

Big Ben
21st April 2010, 14:52
i think my view of F1 is my own view, and i am entitled to it, just as you are yours, yet you seem to think yours is more valid than mine?

all i was saying is that i am enjoying formula 1 as it is right now, if you find 1 pass for the lead "rivetting" then you are a different kind of race fan to me and thats fair enough. i just dont enjoy races which involve cars going round in the same order for the majority of the race.

and as far as a re education, perhaps being condescending is something you need to work out of your character, no one likes arrogance apart from the arrogant.

Mike

Don't mind him. St. D. is one of the greatest comedy providers around here and we should appreciate him for it... even if it's involuntarily. Most of us were sent by this buddy at some point to go watch something else and don't disturb him and the other true purist f1 fan of the planet... I only assume that there may be another one so he wouldn't get too lonesome.

Overtaking is for dummies. The best races are those where they finish in the same order they've started and get to analyze tyre choices to see why that happened. That's true racing.

steveaki13
21st April 2010, 18:06
I doubt the Spanish GP will be a classic race.

I enjoyed last years race but the last really good Spanish GP that I personally enjoyed more than normal was 2001. A good battle all race between Hakkinen and Michael, plus DC from 22nd to 5th and the drama of the last lap.

F1boat
22nd April 2010, 06:59
Who's moaning? Yes the last three races have been great, but each and every one has been rain affected. Which always leads to an exciting race.

What we want is exciting races in the dry too!

Is every soccer match great? No? Do we have constant changes in soccer because sometimes unexciting teams win championships (like Greece)? No? Do soccer fans give up on their game? No?
Then maybe we should enjoy what we have and stop asking for artificial changes which will turn the elite of motorsport into a cheap circus like a low class moto race.

wmcot
22nd April 2010, 07:00

Mike

I agree with most of what you say, but in F1 you won't ever see a lot of passes for the lead. That's the nature of the sport. The leader after the first lap generally stays there unless he has a mechanical problem, slow pit stop, or driver error. I think that most of us watch F1 for the action in the field and that rare hope that we may actually see a pass for the lead.

If you want racing with leaders dicing, find a copy of last weeks ALMS race at Long Beach - classic!

Jag_Warrior
25th April 2010, 04:35
For me that ceases to be a race and more a follow the leader type procession. If the only excitement is delivered in qualifying, I wouldn't feel the need to watch the race. A geek sat on a laptop telling us post race why his driver won because of how great his skills are at reading tyre choice and tracking his every move on the telemetry doesn't do it for me. I like to see drivers closing gaps and making overtakes stick with an element of bravery and a mix of strategy thrown in.
Thats just my opinion however. :)

I think EU was being sarcastic. You'd have to read St. D's previous post (if you don't have him blocked... as many seem to :D ) to get the full effect.

Zico
25th April 2010, 20:34
One of the greatest decisions the FIA could ever make would be to ensure some kind of track sprinkler system was installed at every GP in the F1 calender, with (unknown to the teams) sporadic preset downpours.

I can just picture wee Bernie sneaking off to the sprinkler control room to play God. :D

Saint Devote
25th April 2010, 22:16

Mike

You wrote: lots of overtaking, crashes...

There may have been races like that but it has never been F1 and it never will. And if you seek that sort of racing then NASCAR has to be your natural home.

I stand by my message to you and it applies to anyone else that seeks such activities - or maybe dirt track racing will make you happy.

Mark in Oshawa
26th April 2010, 00:51
Is every soccer match great? No? Do we have constant changes in soccer because sometimes unexciting teams win championships (like Greece)? No? Do soccer fans give up on their game? No?
Then maybe we should enjoy what we have and stop asking for artificial changes which will turn the elite of motorsport into a cheap circus like a low class moto race.

Like f1, Soccer never translated well over here in North America. Why? We like action....silly us, we grow up on sports like Hockey and the NFL/CFL football....

I would never want f1 to be like NASCAR, but I would love a return to the variety of cars in the late 70's or early 80's, the different approaches, the different styles of driving being evident, and the personality of the drivers being allowed to be more evident. Most of this is just nostalgia, but I enjoyed f1 then and fell in love with it. Somewhere during Schumi's reign, I had a divorce after a bitter 10 year fight to love it....

I am not flirting with the girl again, but I know she has to be a little more unpredictable to keep me. I don't want Friday Qualifying to tell me within a position or two of how the top 10 will turn out.

F1boat
26th April 2010, 06:44
Well, for one, we don't have Friday qualifying anymore :)

ShiftingGears
26th April 2010, 07:02
One of the greatest decisions the FIA could ever make would be to ensure some kind of track sprinkler system was installed at every GP in the F1 calender, with (unknown to the teams) sporadic preset downpours.

I can just picture wee Bernie sneaking off to the sprinkler control room to play God. :D

Awful idea! Very contrived.

Mike_Drummer
27th April 2010, 14:09
You wrote: lots of overtaking, crashes...

There may have been races like that but it has never been F1 and it never will. And if you seek that sort of racing then NASCAR has to be your natural home.

I stand by my message to you and it applies to anyone else that seeks such activities - or maybe dirt track racing will make you happy.

surely racing means more than one person trying to win a race...hense overtaking, the point at which it stops being racing is when there is no overtaking (except for rally say and other time trial motorsports). i am a fan of all forms of motorsport, and who exactly are you to do determine what forumla 1 is and will be?

if you get your kicks out of watching timing screens and seeing how many tenths someone can gain per lap on a car 13 seconds down the track then fair enough, but as an F1 fan i am entitled to have my own opinion on what i would like F1 to be. the point is i AM an F1 fan and so no i dont want to go watch other forms of motorsport instead because it kind of defeats the object.

people like you are few and far between, and im quite glad about that as this continuation of your condescending attitude because my opinion on a motorsport differ from yours is quite sickening and perhaps its you who needs a re-education in tolerance and manners,

PS dont ever try and do any marketing for F1...

Mike (keep up the good work F1)