PDA

View Full Version : 2009 pandemic H1N1 influenza

tannat
20th April 2010, 12:06
Saturday April 17 marked the confirmation by the CDC (Atlanta, Ga USA) of the first two cases of pandemic H1N1 in California.

Curious how many of you:

1) had pandemic H1N1 2009 influenza ('swine flu')
2) received the vaccine
3) knew someone who had it

EuroTroll
20th April 2010, 12:17
1) No
2) No
3) No

About a dozen people have died of it in Estonia (pop. 1.35 million) though.

Rudy Tamasz
20th April 2010, 12:34
My son had it. Luckily, he got out of it quickly.

GridGirl
20th April 2010, 13:14
I haven't had it but know a few people that did last year. My dad had the vaccine due to his diabetes and the other half's sister had the vaccine as she was pregnant at the time of the main scare. The vaccine really knocks it out of you. My dad didnt get out of bed for two days after he'd had it.

It really wouldn't bother me if I got it. :)

Daniel
20th April 2010, 13:23
I haven't had it but know a few people that did last year. My dad had the vaccine due to his diabetes and the other half's sister had the vaccine as she was pregnant at the time of the main scare. The vaccine really knocks it out of you. My dad didnt get out of bed for two days after he'd had it.

It really wouldn't bother me if I got it. :)
Vaccine didn't do anything to me.

Brown, Jon Brow
20th April 2010, 13:46
I was ill for one day after being around a friend who had swine flu. I don't know if I had swine flu. If it was then the symptoms were very mild.

GridGirl
20th April 2010, 13:54

To be fair my dad did have quite a few other health issues at the time that probably contributed to the vaccine really knocking it out of him. I suppose if your young, fit and healthly you really should see no ill affects from having the vaccine. :)

janneppi
20th April 2010, 14:11
To be fair my dad did have quite a few other health issues at the time that probably contributed to the vaccine really knocking it out of him. I suppose if your young, fit and healthly you really should see no ill affects from having the vaccine. :)
I had no problems when i got the vacination last month, but my sister and brother had near 39C fever the night after they go the vaccination.

Langdale Forest
20th April 2010, 16:44
I did not get Swine Flu, did not get the vaccine and I do not know anyone else who got ill from Swine Flu.

Caroline
20th April 2010, 17:11

Y'reckon? :p

Anyway - I am not sure how Daniel jumped the queue and got a vaccine when people like teachers and teaching assistants didn't get the offer :p They have to fight infections from sneezes/coughs and the like on a daily basis!

Mark in Oshawa
20th April 2010, 18:14
This flu wasn't as much of a pandemic really. Maybe all the people getting their shots helped keep it in check or something, but unless you actually got the H1N1, you really would think it was much ado about nothing. I talked to someone however who had it...and he said death was looking like a blissful option to him at one point. It was a nasty week or so...

Firstgear
20th April 2010, 18:35
The wife of my son's soccer coach didn't wake up the day after getting the vaccine. Don't know for sure if there's a connection but....I was not going to get it after hearing that.

Daniel
20th April 2010, 18:37
Y'reckon? :p

Anyway - I am not sure how Daniel jumped the queue and got a vaccine when people like teachers and teaching assistants didn't get the offer :p They have to fight infections from sneezes/coughs and the like on a daily basis!

Meh :p I was in a risk factor group :p Poo to you! Oh and I was working in a school at the time too!

donKey jote
20th April 2010, 18:38
1) pretty sure, last July (all the usual flu symptoms, specially lungs, but no fever :erm: )
2) yes, last December (no reaction - I was probably already immunised :p )
3) most likely, both my kids, together with ~2/3rds of their classes

schmenke
20th April 2010, 19:26
1) No.
2) No, although the wife and kids were vaccinated with no effects.
3) Not sure, but my buddy had all the symptoms for ~1 week. He said it was the worst flu he had ever experienced.

The government of Alberta now has a surplus of vaccine for which they are trying to recove the costs from the pharmacutical supplier :mark: .

BeansBeansBeans
20th April 2010, 19:57
I had some sort of heavy cold around that time but I don't know whether it was H1N1 or not.

Captain VXR
20th April 2010, 23:07
Pandemic?
More of a panpanic

CarlMetro
22nd April 2010, 14:37
I didn't get it, I turned down the vacination and both my brother-in-law and a couple of the girls at work had it but they all survived.