PDA

View Full Version : Petrov

Retro Formula 1
19th April 2010, 10:59
I didn't know too much about him prior to F1 apart from his GP2 performances which were credible if not outstanding. In fact, the only championships he has ever won were driving LADA's so I didn't expect too much in F1.

His performance though has been quite refreshing. He's up against a very credible driver as his team mate and performing well in his rookie year.

Could this be one of those drivers that was built for F1 or am I just happily surprised by someone that I thought would fail.

Sonic
19th April 2010, 11:10
Well after the rubbish PK and Grosjean's short stay just about anyone would be better.

I've wondered if Petrov really is better than those others or perhaps the team, now being less Alonso focused, can produce two capable cars.

EuroTroll
19th April 2010, 11:14
Based on GP2, I too thought Petrov would be rubbish in F1. He's not! Well done so far.

I was wrong. ;)

Sonic
19th April 2010, 11:28
Based on GP2, I too thought Petrov would be rubbish in F1. He's not! Well done so far.

I was wrong. ;)

Uh Oh! What have I started? :D

jens
19th April 2010, 12:03
Petrov is not rubbish, but I don't see him developing into a top driver either. Renault has one of the biggest gaps between drivers in team-mates battles. But he has shown at least some potential and pace, which means he could possibly stay in F1 for more years if he is capable of building on it, having left slightly better impression than Piquet initially managed.

maximilian
19th April 2010, 13:31
He did very well in China and deserves credit for it, but hasn't exactly set things on fire in the other 3 races, so the jury is still out. Nelsinho also came in 2nd place once! :D

If you want to be overcritical, he also had an off or two that cost him a better position in China. Petrov is still being outscored by his team mate 40-6, and one could argue that if someone like Heidfeld had gotten that seat, Renault may well be challenging Mercedes in points at the moment. [Then again, one could also argue that if Heidfeld had gotten the Mercedes seat, Renault wouldn't be anywhere near Mercedes at the moment! :D But that's another thread...]

I'll be very interested to see whether the Russian can keep up the level of performance he showed in China. It was certainly impressive, especially the big romp at the end where he passed a bunch of people and at times ran 2 seconds quicker than anybody around him.