PDA

View Full Version : Broadcast quality stinks as usual; Versus showing excellent HD from IRL

markabilly
18th April 2010, 21:25
They have a repeat on Speed of the china race showing right now, and the IRL race from Long Beach on a station called Versus in HD.

The IRL race along with highlights from the wet race in Brazil, blow away F1 to the point the F1 looks like VHS quality on a dirty tv screen.

Sad so sad

CNR
19th April 2010, 00:29
Q: 1 analog 1 digital ?

stephenw_us
19th April 2010, 01:50
Too bad the IRL sucks...

call_me_andrew
19th April 2010, 03:28
Markabilly has a point: picture quality defines greatness.

That's why Monet failed as an artist.

Saint Devote
19th April 2010, 04:19
F1 still looks good as always - but Speed have still not been able to replace Peter Windsor.

Windsor knows everyone, everyone is willing to talk to him and he asks insightful, intelligent questions. As well as making the grand prix more enjoyable by being in the pits duringthe race and finding out important details.

His replacement at Speed Bill Buxton is not connected and seems a bit of an idiot.

Asking Webber prior to the race "how the rain is going to affect his driving" is banal to say the least.

Thats the way it went!

truefan72
19th April 2010, 04:33
I have less of an issue with the picture quality than I have with the millions of commercials during the broadcast. At the exact point of when Alonso and massa were coming into the pits, they went into a commercial. It is aggrevating!

I understand the commercial needs of speed tv, but you can;t broadcast F1 like you broadcast NASCAR. They must find a way to solve this. I remember ABC used to do a side-by-side so you never missed the action. I would even accept a bar on the bottom running ads if that means I don't have to miss good parts of the race.

Jag_Warrior
19th April 2010, 05:22
All my TV's are HD but I don't subscribe to the HD package on DirecTV. What I'm watching matters more to me than how it looks on the screen. Comparing the IRL race in Long Beach (even in HD) to the F1 race in China is like comparing The Real Housewives of Orange County to Godfather Part II.

I watched both races and there was no comparison... other than maybe this HD thing. HD quality doesn't change the fact that the IRL race in Long Beach was a virtual parade. And having to listen to Jenkins and Arute prattle on made me wish that I didn't have surround sound. Plus, Versus devoting more time to an interview with a 16th place finisher (The Danica, of course) than people who finished in the Top 3 was past ridiculous. Displaying that farce of a race in HD was truly putting lipstick on a pig (no offense to Sarah Palin).

When things go 3D, I may get into that TV broadcast fad... but probably not. Give me top shelf programming, first and foremost. :dozey:

markabilly
19th April 2010, 14:10
All my TV's are HD but I don't subscribe to the HD package on DirecTV. What I'm watching matters more to me than how it looks on the screen. Comparing the IRL race in Long Beach (even in HD) to the F1 race in China is like comparing The Real Housewives of Orange County to Godfather Part II.

I watched both races and there was no comparison... other than maybe this HD thing. HD quality doesn't change the fact that the IRL race in Long Beach was a virtual parade. And having to listen to Jenkins and Arute prattle on made me wish that I didn't have surround sound. Plus, Versus devoting more time to an interview with a 16th place finisher (The Danica, of course) than people who finished in the Top 3 was past ridiculous. Displaying that farce of a race in HD was truly putting lipstick on a pig (no offense to Sarah Palin).

When things go 3D, I may get into that TV broadcast fad... but probably not. Give me top shelf programming, first and foremost. :dozey:

Yes, we are talking IRL, the parade, with lipstick on a pig, broadcast over a channel and group that I never noticed until Sunday, to an audience that might have been less than zero, but with the picture quality and sound LIGHT years ahead of the F1 race shown on the same day.

If you are a sponsor, you want viewers but you also want something more than a VHS show

And if you are F1 and so popular, why can the IRL fans (all 50 of them) get what they get, while the 100 billion F1 fans get VHS......

Think of how much more popular the broadcasts would be..... :dozey:

But let me put a positive spin on it, the broadcasts are better than reading about it long after it is over :rolleyes:

markabilly
19th April 2010, 14:12
Q: 1 analog 1 digital ?
i do not know, but the quality is pretty much the same from monaco to whereever

ArrowsFA1
19th April 2010, 14:33
What I'm watching matters more to me than how it looks on the screen.
:up:

I can do without Sky's window cleaner trying to tell me my viewing enjoyment would be so much greater if I just gave them more money, and spent yet more on an even wizzier tv. My picture is just fine as it is thank you very much :s mokin:

Mark
19th April 2010, 14:35
I certainly wouldn't have any objections to coverage being on BBC HD. But in any case I struggle to see any difference between HD and non-HD pictures on my 32" set.

veeten
19th April 2010, 15:12
The real problem is that the majority of F1 races are broadcast in the US at the worst times to accumulate a steady audience, whereas the IRL races (even when presently confined to a cable network similar as Speed TV (Versus)) are still broadcasted at a time slot that helps grow a fanbase.

The only time that F1 is capable of making an effort in the US is during the Canadian GP and those races that Fox has on during the summer months, even though they are tape delayed. The problem is that (outside of the Canadian GP) the results are well known long before the broadcast even begins, which takes most of the drama out of watching anyway.

Sorry, but the fanatics will just have to face it; without a major contract to air them, and an unwillingness to either stay up late or awake early by the larger majority of US citizens to view the races, Formula 1 will maintain it's niche status in the US.

Shifter
19th April 2010, 15:56
I watch via Comcast cable, and while yes the IRL was crystal clear, the F1 race image quality was not bad enough for me to complain or even think about it even though we're watching on a 50-inch DLP.

Blancvino
19th April 2010, 17:00
The real problem is that the majority of F1 races are broadcast in the US at the worst times to accumulate a steady audience, whereas the IRL races (even when presently confined to a cable network similar as Speed TV (Versus)) are still broadcasted at a time slot that helps grow a fanbase.

The only time that F1 is capable of making an effort in the US is during the Canadian GP and those races that Fox has on during the summer months, even though they are tape delayed. The problem is that (outside of the Canadian GP) the results are well known long before the broadcast even begins, which takes most of the drama out of watching anyway.

Sorry, but the fanatics will just have to face it; without a major contract to air them, and an unwillingness to either stay up late or awake early by the larger majority of US citizens to view the races, Formula 1 will maintain it's niche status in the US.

All I can say is DVRs rock! I never miss F1 races but the same cannot be said about the "Danica Patrick" show regardless of air time. I would rather do just about anything over watching an IRL race.

FYI - Formula One is World Championship, with most of it's viewers in Europe. Who do you think they are going to cater to? We cannot even support a Grand Prix in the US.

nigelred5
20th April 2010, 01:31
I didn't see anything to complain about the HD image quality of the F1 race. I prefer the F1 races be broadcast live. When Fox gets their hands on them, they are always edited versions and devoid of any pre and post race coverage. Versus may be dressing up a pig, but they are at least making hte effort. The ABC/ESPN borcasts were like a roll in the mudpit. The Pig was happy, but noone else.

My only complaint is the damn Comcast DVR always cuts off the last 2-3 minutes of EVERY broadcast because their system clock can't seem to sync with the rest of the world.

markabilly
20th April 2010, 03:17
Just finished watching the TT Superbike repeat on Discovery Channel.... via BBC HD...

Incredible scenery and details of the bikes at speed, excellent on board...wondered how Monaco would appear......but alas :rolleyes:

Not only does the lowly "who cares except its Danica" IRL, but the TT along with some AMA motorcyle races, get far far better treatment than F1 or motogp,,,,,,

ykiki
20th April 2010, 17:23
My only complaint is the damn Comcast DVR always cuts off the last 2-3 minutes of EVERY broadcast because their system clock can't seem to sync with the rest of the world.

To alleviate this with my Comcastic DVR, instead of just choosing "record program", I always choose the "view recording settings" option instead and set the show to record 1 min early and 5 minutes long. For live shows like races, I tend to set the recording to go over by an hour (simply two clicks to the left on the "end recording" option), just in case there is an incident that delays the action.

Mark in Oshawa
20th April 2010, 19:25
It really is an interesting thread here. You have the "who cares, its the IRL" attitude from F1 snobs, and then you have the "why can VS do this for no fans when f1 has a world wide fanbase and gets lousier pictures?".

The thing is F1 is a the biggest joke often going. For f1 fans to make fun of the IRL race at Long Beach I guess napped through Bahrain. I have watched all the IRL and ALL the F1 races this year, because I am a fan of all racing. I watch NASCAR too, and I can say without a doubt that the f1 broadcasts are actually in many ways the poorest of the three.

Listen, toss out the actual on track product, and the f1 fan should be demanding a better quality picture. A big screen HD picture of racing is a MUST, and f1 would be a far more involving TV product in HD. Yet Bernie holds out.....

Why this man is rich sometimes astounds me...

anthonyvop
20th April 2010, 21:32
If you are a sponsor, you want viewers but you also want something more than a VHS show

Really?
Can you back up that statement?

While the Vs. picture quality may be better their Production and direction leaves a lot to be desired. Horrible camera angles. Always seem to be following un-interesting sections.

And their announcers.............I threw-up a bit in my mouth just thinking about them.

Mark in Oshawa
20th April 2010, 21:59
Really?
Can you back up that statement?

While the Vs. picture quality may be better their Production and direction leaves a lot to be desired. Horrible camera angles. Always seem to be following un-interesting sections.

And their announcers.............I threw-up a bit in my mouth just thinking about them.

Pulease....While I do think the IRL has just ok commentators, I used to think "what were the BBC thinking with Murray Walker?" for YEARS. Some of the commentatry he put out with the Shunt was awful.

I wont disagree that most American broadcasters of racing need work, but there is no monopoly on bad on air talent. It can be anywhere.

The point Markabilly was making was the quality of the broadcast picture and the SOUND.....

F1 should NOT be lagging behind anyone in those two areas.

anthonyvop
20th April 2010, 22:41
Pulease....While I do think the IRL has just ok commentators, I used to think "what were the BBC thinking with Murray Walker?" for YEARS. Some of the commentatry he put out with the Shunt was awful.

I wont disagree that most American broadcasters of racing need work, but there is no monopoly on bad on air talent. It can be anywhere.

The point Markabilly was making was the quality of the broadcast picture and the SOUND.....

F1 should NOT be lagging behind anyone in those two areas.

While i agree with you about Murray Walker the fact is that the IRL commentators on Vs. are the worse.

Jenkins is bearable in a 1980's style sort of way. Beekus is irritating and GoodYear is Captain Obvious.

Then there is Jack Arute............Whoever hired this infantil, twit should be beaten severely.

Mark
21st April 2010, 08:48
F1 is always last with everything. Last to get a website, last to go widescreen and now last to go HD.

truefan72
21st April 2010, 11:31

lol a problem I used to have before switching to verizon fios.

now,. sadly, they want me to pay more for most od the HD channels. Thankfully, Speed TV HD is still free.

DexDexter
22nd April 2010, 15:36
They have a repeat on Speed of the china race showing right now, and the IRL race from Long Beach on a station called Versus in HD.

The IRL race along with highlights from the wet race in Brazil, blow away F1 to the point the F1 looks like VHS quality on a dirty tv screen.

Sad so sad

It's not so bad over here with PAL, the NTSC you have over there was always real crap.

Dave B
22nd April 2010, 16:01
:up:

I can do without Sky's window cleaner trying to tell me my viewing enjoyment would be so much greater if I just gave them more money, and spent yet more on an even wizzier tv. My picture is just fine as it is thank you very much :s mokin:
I used to think exactly the same, but once you've tried HD you'll never want to go back. Watch well-produced HD, such as football on Sky Sports or the BBC's utterly staggering Wonders of the Solar System, then switch to ITV1 SD and it's like watching YouTube.

We've "only" got a 42in as our main telly*, hardly massive, but given a decent source the quality is phenomenal. FOM need to pull their finger out.

*Hinting at a 50 inch as a wedding present ;)

nigelred5
22nd April 2010, 21:37
lol a problem I used to have before switching to verizon fios.

now,. sadly, they want me to pay more for most od the HD channels. Thankfully, Speed TV HD is still free.

Unfortunately, FIOS isn't available here. It's available just about everywhere leading into my town, but nowhere in town, and the techs at Verizon l have told me we are the last in the county scheduled for installation of the service. Apparently the switching center in town was renovated several years ago, but it can't accomodate fios, so it requires a total re-build. More than once, I've also been told verizon is leasing fiber optic lines from Comcast in our area where they are providing service.

gloomyDAY
22nd April 2010, 22:01
Then there is Jack Arute............Whoever hired this infantil, twit should be beaten severely.Dibs on the flogging. :D

truefan72
23rd April 2010, 02:45
Unfortunately, FIOS isn't available here. It's available just about everywhere leading into my town, but nowhere in town, and the techs at Verizon l have told me we are the last in the county scheduled for installation of the service. Apparently the switching center in town was renovated several years ago, but it can't accomodate fios, so it requires a total re-build. More than once, I've also been told verizon is leasing fiber optic lines from Comcast in our area where they are providing service.

hmm interesting. I do like the fios speed but the cable service apart form a good dvr system is a bit more expensive if you take into account that you have to pay extra for some stuff you get free with Verizon

markabilly
23rd April 2010, 05:27
I used to think exactly the same, but once you've tried HD you'll never want to go back. Watch well-produced HD, such as football on Sky Sports or the BBC's utterly staggering Wonders of the Solar System, then switch to ITV1 SD and it's like watching YouTube.

We've "only" got a 42in as our main telly*, hardly massive, but given a decent source the quality is phenomenal. FOM need to pull their finger out.

*Hinting at a 50 inch as a wedding present ;)

My experience was the same.....

Saw the BBC production in HD of the TT bike races of Isle of Mann (which they keep repeating about once a month!!!! on the discovery channel) INREDIBLE. The countryside, the slomo, the on bike shots...,,,,makes me want to see the same with the monaco race

Meanwhile speed has cut back on everything but nascar.......so you get the reality show of "life with the tow truck family" (oh yeah, I kid you NOT)

Discovery HD offers far more interesting shows about racing....oh well.....

SGWilko
23rd April 2010, 10:49
I certainly wouldn't have any objections to coverage being on BBC HD. But in any case I struggle to see any difference between HD and non-HD pictures on my 32" set.

Have you got a Blu Ray player, and is your TV full HD 1080p??

Believe me, there is a world of difference with the correct setup.

DexDexter
23rd April 2010, 12:07
Have you got a Blu Ray player, and is your TV full HD 1080p??

Believe me, there is a world of difference with the correct setup.

I've watched/watch plenty of HD material and while there is a big difference, it's not going to be the thing that makes people watch things. I mean proper PAL offers pretty good picture quality in any case.

SGWilko
23rd April 2010, 12:47
I've watched/watch plenty of HD material and while there is a big difference, it's not going to be the thing that makes people watch things. I mean proper PAL offers pretty good picture quality in any case.

The switch to digital I felt resulted in a poorer picture - patchy colours etc. Especially when Ronnie Ringding the spotty oik on his Peugeot hairdryer drives by and pixellates the f**k out of the picture.

HD has redressed the balance.

Mark
23rd April 2010, 14:12
I have a 32" set with 1080p. I have BBC HD and ITV HD which of course are 1080i rather than 1080p.

SGWilko
23rd April 2010, 14:15
I have a 32" set with 1080p. I have BBC HD and ITV HD which of course are 1080i rather than 1080p.

Interlaced v Progressive scan eh (yes, I had to look that up!!!)

Are you Sky, Cable, Freesat or Freeview HD (the latter I apparently can now get, so have pre-ordered an HD+ box.

Dr. Krogshöj
23rd April 2010, 17:00
I have less of an issue with the picture quality than I have with the millions of commercials during the broadcast. At the exact point of when Alonso and massa were coming into the pits, they went into a commercial. It is aggrevating!

I understand the commercial needs of speed tv, but you can;t broadcast F1 like you broadcast NASCAR. They must find a way to solve this. I remember ABC used to do a side-by-side so you never missed the action. I would even accept a bar on the bottom running ads if that means I don't have to miss good parts of the race.

F1 doesn't have yellow periods to have commercial breaks. But if China is any indication, Charlie Whiting might be considering introducing "debris on track" competition yellows to spice up the action, so who knows. :)

truefan72
24th April 2010, 19:47
F1 doesn't have yellow periods to have commercial breaks. But if China is any indication, Charlie Whiting might be considering introducing "debris on track" competition yellows to spice up the action, so who knows. :)

lol

competition yellow's I know...pathetic

Jag_Warrior
25th April 2010, 04:17

That's really where I was coming from. My uncle has HD through DirecTV. And various friends of mine have it. My sets are HD. But I just don't see enough of a difference to get it. I had to buy a cellphone charger at Radio Shack last week, and I stared at the HD broadcasts on their sets while I was waiting for the guy to find the charger. I thought, "that's nice but I wouldn't pay extra for it." I have an 8 year old cellphone and I don't believe in text messaging. I don't have a Facebook or MySpace page. And I don't understand the point of Twitter. So maybe it's just me... and my caveman way of life. I guess I just haven't gotten with this century yet.

And while I wasn't really trying to stick a knife in the IRL (or maybe I was ;) ), again, I don't watch TV just because of the picture quality... as long as it meets a certain minimum standard. My picture is digital, and it's sharp and clear on pretty nice TV's. My sound is good enough for me. It's what's on the set that matters.

Remember during F1 broadcasts when they did the car overlays last year, or the year before? I don't know the proper term, but it's when they'd show two cars on the track, at the same turn at the same time... and one would seem to drive through the other if it was going faster at that point. And the super slo-mo's they do at the German(?) Grand Prix. The Japanese GP also used to have some trick camera work as I recall. Or even the high speed cameras that fly down pitroad during stops at some racing venues. That's the kind of stuff that I like. The IRL doesn't even do basic stuff, like tell you by how many tenths one driver is catching another driver. I mean, let's say there are 10 laps to go. And Bob Jenkins or Jack Arute (just shoot me now, PLEASE!) is yacking about how car B is on the move and catching up to car A. OK, fine. There are 10 laps left. Car B is now 5 seconds behind car A. Is car B catching car A by .7 seconds a lap or .2 seconds a lap. Cause in one case, I'll be glued to the set. In the other, I already know it's pretty much a lost cause, unless car A makes a mistake. That's why certain F1 broadcasts have built in drama... and certain other series don't. If you can't even do the basics, much less the special effects stuff, why would I care how great the picture is?

But I do agree with Mark in Oshawa as well. One would think that the most technically advanced racing series on the planet would be out front on something as broadly available as HD by now.

call_me_andrew
25th April 2010, 05:25
Remember during F1 broadcasts when they did the car overlays last year, or the year before? I don't know the proper term, but it's when they'd show two cars on the track, at the same turn at the same time... and one would seem to drive through the other if it was going faster at that point.

I recall seeing that for Indy 500 qualifying 10 years ago.

The IRL doesn't even do basic stuff, like tell you by how many tenths one driver is catching another driver. I mean, let's say there are 10 laps to go. And Bob Jenkins or Jack Arute (just shoot me now, PLEASE!) is yacking about how car B is on the move and catching up to car A. OK, fine. There are 10 laps left. Car B is now 5 seconds behind car A. Is car B catching car A by .7 seconds a lap or .2 seconds a lap. Cause in one case, I'll be glued to the set. In the other, I already know it's pretty much a lost cause, unless car A makes a mistake. That's why certain F1 broadcasts have built in drama... and certain other series don't. If you can't even do the basics, much less the special effects stuff, why would I care how great the picture is?

Why do wait for the announcers to give you the intervals when you can read the intervals listed on the ticker, but unlike F1's graphics, these intervals are given in real time.

Jag_Warrior
25th April 2010, 08:26
I recall seeing that for Indy 500 qualifying 10 years ago.

I never saw it. Do they still do it? If not, why did they stop?

Why do wait for the announcers to give you the intervals when you can read the intervals listed on the ticker, but unlike F1's graphics, these intervals are given in real time.

During the race, F1 shows the last lap interval... no different from the IRL in that respect. But F1 also shows the intervals for the last 3 laps (I believe it's 3, if not 4). And Matchett also gives details on the sectors where the drivers are picking up or losing time... especially near the end of the race. If driver B is really beginning to pick it up on driver A, you know he's going to scream, "get on it, boy!" Yeah, I love that! :D Sure, I could sit there with a calculator and a pen & paper to record the IRL lap intervals from lap to lap myself. But wouldn't that be sort of anticlimactic? I don't even take notes when I watch the TV show Lost - and you need them with that show. So I'm sure not going to be taking notes while I watch a race.

All I'm saying is, if you want to build drama, there are ways to do that. And I think that F1 does a very good job (well, the Speed team) of doing that. I was always disappointed that CART did a relatively poor job of reporting sector times, if they were reported at all. I have always preferred F1's method of timing & scoring over what we've had here for the past 20 years or so.

The only reason I can think of to watch an IRL race (or any race) in HD on TV is so I can more clearly see the worry lines that are going to be developing on The Danica's face over the next few months (hee hee, ya had to know there was a Danica burn coming soon).

markabilly
25th April 2010, 13:23
The IRL doesn't even do basic stuff, like tell you by how many tenths one driver is catching another driver. I mean, let's say there are 10 laps to go. And Bob Jenkins or Jack Arute (just shoot me now, PLEASE!) is yacking about how car B is on the move and catching up to car A. OK, fine. There are 10 laps left. Car B is now 5 seconds behind car A. Is car B catching car A by .7 seconds a lap or .2 seconds a lap. Cause in one case, I'll be glued to the set. In the other, I already know it's pretty much a lost cause, unless car A makes a mistake. now.

Really??? Either your hearing has gone bad or something wrong with my sound, cause all i hear is Danica is really pushing hard [on whoever is in eight or ninth place usually] and trying to keep her tires hard..err I mean hot.... :rolleyes:

along with some other babble about whoever might need to pit in a few laps from the lead "meaning this would move danica up a spot if she can get by before he comes out" :eek:

(I guess if she does not, she might get pregnent)

Jag_Warrior
25th April 2010, 20:04
^^^Purely a hypothetical, Markabilly. Neither Aroot nor Jerkins would catch such a battle... unless The Danica was in car A or car B. Say, how long was the interview they did with her? I fast forwaded through most of the post race, but I noticed that her face stayed on my screen for what seemed like a longer time than RHR and anybody else.

Ya know, to make use of this HD stuff, they should send the Versus guys to the German, Japanese and certain other GP's. If they learned more about camera placement and how to do some of the wilder specialFX, maybe they could wow people enough to get something going. It is nice that they're doing a fair amount of in-car coverage though. I have to give them credit for that.

markabilly
25th April 2010, 22:40
Actually, I recall a race from last year where one of them made such a comment.....he was first, (I thnk Dixon) she was like in 15th place, and despite the green stop, she did not catch him, and she had to pit a couple of laps later,[meanwhile they ignored the others between her and the leader, you know the guys who were actually making it something of a race), so I basically do not listen to the IRL talkers at all....but my point was the images and sound, and it was far far better than the F1 stuff....

as to camera location, that is pretty much fixed by local crews and the track itself....It is like at Seca, where local crews and equipment do the race for motogp, and beleive it or not, they actually are using top quality HD cameras.

It then goes to the world feed station, and guess what? It gets downscaledfor the actual broadcast to about vhs quality, the one feed that even Speed must use (although last year and the year before, they snuck in a couple of HD shots during the race in pit interviews by bypassing the feed. naughty boys).

meanwhile the AMA races at the same track as support events to the motogp, went out in HD on speed

Same at F1 Indy for about the last four races there and most likely other tracks as well. The Indy feed from the local cameras was in HD, and then downscaled to VHS or whatever quality used for the world broadcast--I know because i talked to a couple of the guys doing the camera work. Bet that happens at many, if not all tracks. It is the feed that is getting downscaled and the problem is not the camaras, it is the feed and that is is my bet at perhaps 80% or more at the race events

Mark in Oshawa
26th April 2010, 00:46
Markabilly, the HD cameras are almost the industry standard. It is the broadcasters that are not always sending out the HD signal. AS you say, downgrading it to VHS. It is in NTSC format, which is the standard North American format, and from what I have been told by my friends in the industry, it sucks compared to TV over in Europe (PAL).

The whole world within 10 years will be in HD, but it is happening piecemeal. As a community cable volunteer doing the local Jr. A games, I was using an HD camera for 4 out of the last 6 games of the year. The station however wasn't able to put out the HD signal yet.

My point tho is and always has been that in the case of F1, it is an utter joke that there isn't a world feed in HD because the BBC uses HD, Speed uses HD, and I am sure all over Europe all the national broadcasters are in HD. So why is Bernie screwing around?

This is Formula ONE where they burn millions just to make sure Bernie has clean shirts on Saturday's.....

truefan72
26th April 2010, 02:42
Markabilly, the HD cameras are almost the industry standard. It is the broadcasters that are not always sending out the HD signal. AS you say, downgrading it to VHS. It is in NTSC format, which is the standard North American format, and from what I have been told by my friends in the industry, it sucks compared to TV over in Europe (PAL).

The whole world within 10 years will be in HD, but it is happening piecemeal. As a community cable volunteer doing the local Jr. A games, I was using an HD camera for 4 out of the last 6 games of the year. The station however wasn't able to put out the HD signal yet.

My point tho is and always has been that in the case of F1, it is an utter joke that there isn't a world feed in HD because the BBC uses HD, Speed uses HD, and I am sure all over Europe all the national broadcasters are in HD. So why is Bernie screwing around?

This is Formula ONE where they burn millions just to make sure Bernie has clean shirts on Saturday's.....

the lack of widespread HD in the states is the same reason why broadband is not widespread, cellphone service is still somewhat archaic, hybrids are a novelty, and the overall level of technology we see in europe and asia is still years away. That reason would be big business monopolies and their priority to maximize profits while minimizing effort. Big business hates to make changes unless they are forced to and even when ordered to do so are given generous time to institute the mandated changes.

It is frustrating beyond belief and the reason, as you say, why instead of fiber optics in every household and crystal clear HD signals, we get this nonsense over our screens and are then sent an ever increasing bill. with all kinds of nonsensical fees.

Back in 1991 when I left Austria, they were laying down fiber optics all over the country, meanwhile the gov't as mandated cable/telecom companies to lay down fiber optics and upgrade towers sine 1996 and still nothing has been done till this day with no consequence.

call_me_andrew
26th April 2010, 02:44
I'm pretty sure NTSC is no longer used in the United States since the conversion to digital television.

And Europe (the cool countries anyway) have abandoned PAL for DVB-T.

truefan72
26th April 2010, 03:26
I'm pretty sure NTSC is no longer used in the United States since the conversion to digital television.

that is kinda true, but most cable providers still take the hd signal and compress them down to the new ATSC signal which will be fully implemented by august 2011 ( or so they say ;) ) it is still going to be up to the cable companies to modulate how these signals get to the cable box and it will still mean them marginalising the end user for bigger profits and less work in modifications. Afterall the ATSC signal is meant to be carried over the same 6 MHz bandwidth as the current analog NTSC for no other reason than to not have to change their archaic infrastructure.

Mark in Oshawa
26th April 2010, 03:43

That would be true. The upshot of it was I was told by a producer friend of mine that basically the US TV industry on the technical side is a joke because of the formats they have shoved down our throats for years, no thanks to the FCC and CRTC here in Canada letting this all happen.

Europe is ahead on the technology...likely because the companies there just saw the benefits of a good standard continent wide, as opposed to a few price fixing cable companies keeping THIS continent in the stone age...

truefan72
26th April 2010, 07:56
That would be true. The upshot of it was I was told by a producer friend of mine that basically the US TV industry on the technical side is a joke because of the formats they have shoved down our throats for years, no thanks to the FCC and CRTC here in Canada letting this all happen.

Europe is ahead on the technology...likely because the companies there just saw the benefits of a good standard continent wide, as opposed to a few price fixing cable companies keeping THIS continent in the stone age...

well put!

markabilly
26th April 2010, 10:28

along with bernrie as to F1

Yeah, HD and its intro was and remains a joke in the usa

BTW From the same banner above this forum:
Watch now to discover the upside of failure through Danica Patrick.
www.honda.com (http://www.honda.com)
Click on it, it is a hoot, "from poor color choices......"