PDA

View Full Version : Simona de Silvestro

ChicagocrewIRL
18th April 2010, 16:18
Since Milka has her own thread and we have discussed to death, Danica (ugh), and yes Sarah is our hero,

I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread on an incredibly talented, low key, humble, all around nice person who has shown great talent as a driver and just happens to be a woman: Simona de Silvestro. She has shown she has the pace, the knowledge, the patience, and the racecraft to be racing at this level. Yes, she has made rookie mistakes but despite those mistakes she continues to impress. I am following her progression closely and even though she is with an underfunded team, I can see her easily moving to a better situation with a more quality team in the future. Also, I think she will be able to attract the attention of one or more major sponsors as she progresses. In any case, I look forward to nothing but great things from this remarkable young lady driver.
see this great article in the L.A. Times ---->>>>

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-long-beach-silvestro-20100417,0,1804072.story

"Danica has done a lot of good things for the sport, especially for women," De Silvestro said. "But we're really different personalities. For me, it's really important to be fast. I want to do the talking on the track."

p.s. maybe I will change my forum name to Simonafan

DavePI2
18th April 2010, 16:30
excellant idea for a thread, the quote at the end is great, if that doesn't point out the difference between talent and bull I don't know what does.

ChicagocrewIRL
18th April 2010, 17:18
Simona should get the attention of Swiss billionaire and avid sportsman Ernesto Bertarelli. He has a track record of funding sporting ventures just for the glory of the sport with limited commercial motives.

His Alinghi America's Cup Syndicate has spent hundreds of millions of Euros to bring the America's Cup to Switzerland and just recently lost the America's Cup to fellow billionaire Larry Ellison. America's Cup sailing is not cheap and Bertarelli has shown the financial commitment to compete for the glory of the prize. Bertarelli is currently a principle of UBS AG which is seeking to expand its retail banking business in North America.

Simona if you read these forums, try to approach Mr. Bertarelli and maybe someday we will see you running with a fully funded team in UBS and Alinghi colors. Wish Wish Wish

SarahFan
18th April 2010, 18:32
Simona D........is awesome!

*don't ccha ge your name until May

Jag_Warrior
18th April 2010, 19:14
Since Milka has her own thread and we have discussed to death, Danica (ugh), and yes Sarah is our hero,

I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread on an incredibly talented, low key, humble, all around nice person who has shown great talent as a driver and just happens to be a woman: Simona de Silvestro. She has shown she has the pace, the knowledge, the patience, and the racecraft to be racing at this level. Yes, she has made rookie mistakes but despite those mistakes she continues to impress. I am following her progression closely and even though she is with an underfunded team, I can see her easily moving to a better situation with a more quality team in the future. Also, I think she will be able to attract the attention of one or more major sponsors as she progresses. In any case, I look forward to nothing but great things from this remarkable young lady driver.
see this great article in the L.A. Times ---->>>>

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-long-beach-silvestro-20100417,0,1804072.story

"Danica has done a lot of good things for the sport, especially for women," De Silvestro said. "But we're really different personalities. For me, it's really important to be fast. I want to do the talking on the track."

p.s. maybe I will change my forum name to Simonafan

With Danica playing caboose in NASCAR (and the IRL), it doesn't look like I'm going to have to change my name because of her this May. So I'm reserving SwissMissFan.

Yeah, it is good to talk about a legitimate up & coming racer for a change.

One question I have about Siomona, has she ever drive or tested on an oval before? She's very impressive on road courses, so I'm sure she can pick it up. But has she ever driven one before?

Lousada
18th April 2010, 19:54
Okay than I have to reserve DeSilvestroFan :o ;)

This is awesome:
qv3KYRwPKAo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv3KYRwPKAo

Easy Drifter
19th April 2010, 01:49
I think she is the real thing.
I have only seen her race live once, at Mosport, and she was impressive. That is a track that has scared the s--- out of some pretty good drivers.
I doubt she will be as near the front, at least for a few races, on the ovals. Not just lack of experience there but the small teams tend to struggle more on ovals.

vintage
19th April 2010, 03:16
Right now she's another backmarker - and we haven't gotten to an oval yet - so let's wait to annoint her as our savior.

bzcam
19th April 2010, 14:43
Right now she's another backmarker - and we haven't gotten to an oval yet - so let's wait to annoint her as our savior.

Give it up Vintage, the personality worship on this board transcends any interest in the actual racing that takes place on the track. Simona will be the new hero of the message boards after the first time she poses in a bikini for Maxxim or does some lame commercial for Go Daddy.

BZ

Dr. Krogshöj
19th April 2010, 16:47
It might be a new concept for some, but in the world of sports, there are some followers who support one particular athlete. Experts of the matter often use the word fan to describe them. Like in the following examples: "the fans of Tony Stewart" or the "fans of Simona de Silvestro." They seldom use the words personality worship or saviour to describe these supporters and their views. There is an internet board however, Motorsport.com, which is truly unique, in as much as some of the fans are frequent targets of ridicule and sarcasm for something widely accepted in other sports.

garyshell
19th April 2010, 16:53
Right now she's another back marker - and we haven't gotten to an oval yet - so let's wait to annoint her as our savior.

Give it up Vintage, the personality worship on this board transcends any interest in the actual racing that takes place on the track. Simona will be the new hero of the message boards after the first time she poses in a bikini for Maxxim or does some lame commercial for Go Daddy.

BZ

Are both of you that jaded that you think that just because someone shows interest in an new up and coming driver who has show some real talent that they think this new driver is a "savior" or its "personality worship". Please site a post from this board that even comes close to that sort of ridiculousness. Much of the discussion of Simona here has actually been about her abilities as a racer.

Gary

harvick#1
19th April 2010, 17:10

shes not really in the best equipment also with the likes of the others, shes with a first year team as well

I'd say shes been doing well but has made several rookie mistakes.

TURN3
19th April 2010, 18:15
shes not really in the best equipment also with the likes of the others, shes with a first year team as well

I'd say shes been doing well but has made several rookie mistakes.

She's really only made 1 signifcant rookie mistake, at Barber. I don't know what her pit in and pit out times are but she loses multiple places on every single pit stop. As for on track, she is regularly easily able to keep pace with her group. She's never held up a pack or anything like that. By all accounts, including Dario's, she has been super impressive. She's a rookie on the 2nd or 3rd lowest budget team with 1 car. Her ability in a racecar is very impressive and I would suggest she'll be getting calls from higher level teams in the future. This is no novelty act, this is a pure race car driver.

bzcam
19th April 2010, 18:45
Are both of you that jaded that you think that just because someone shows interest in an new up and coming driver who has show some real talent that they think this new driver is a "savior" or its "personality worship". Please site a post from this board that even comes close to that sort of ridiculousness. Much of the discussion of Simona here has actually been about her abilities as a racer.

Gary

Really? OK, so where is the Bertrand Baguette thread? the Mike Conway thread? the Alex Lloyd thread? Or, better yet, where is the Graham Rahal needs a full time ride thread? Milka has had her own, everyone loves Sarah, everyone (well almost everyone) loves to hate Danica, now the new chick comes along and gets her own as well. I have no dobut that it Ana Beatriz gets another ride she'll be on the radar here too. Tell me its about the driving.

And, I'm actually not jaded at all. I like indycar enough to watch it every race without fail and even to come here to see what people are saying about it.

BZ

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2010, 19:05
Really? OK, so where is the Bertrand Baguette thread? the Mike Conway thread? the Alex Lloyd thread? Or, better yet, where is the Graham Rahal needs a full time ride thread? Milka has had her own, everyone loves Sarah, everyone (well almost everyone) loves to hate Danica, now the new chick comes along and gets her own as well. I have no dobut that it Ana Beatriz gets another ride she'll be on the radar here too. Tell me its about the driving.

And, I'm actually not jaded at all. I like indycar enough to watch it every race without fail and even to come here to see what people are saying about it.

BZ

BZ, I guess you missed the Rahal needs a ride thread. As for Conway and Lloyd, I know we talked about Lloyd last year. Maybe Conway needs some love. I think he is a lot better than we have talked about.

That said, Simona gets attention on this board because of all the BS and Sizzle without steak that is Danica.

That video of Simone with the marker shows you just how well her spatial functioning and memory is. THAT was scary impressive.....

Either that...or she had a hole in the blindfold...lol

Simona has done alright. She has the right attitude and isn't about the sizzle.

anthonyvop
19th April 2010, 20:17
Simona is the real deal. I have followed her for years since I first met her at a F-BMW test.
I Talked with her again earlier this year at HMS where the IRL made her run a Lites car to get some oval seat time. She quickly came up to speed and actually posted better times than other Lites drivers who had oval experience.

She is smart and very personable. She is also soft spoken and demure. Don't expect her in Maxim anytime soon. Too bad. I personally find her more attractive than Danica.

elis
19th April 2010, 22:25
Right now she's another backmarker -

That 'backmarker' legitimately lead the pack & held off a challenge from Dario in her first ever race.

That 'backmarker' was inline for a top 10 finish until she was spun round by Rahal.

That backmarker has consistanly posted top 5 runs in practice sessions, including a number of P1's.

Whilst reserving overall judgement, it is unquestionable that Simona brings to indy car something that several other drivers do not.. besides multiple race wins in her rise, she brings a genuinely pleasant personality with few airs & graces. She is eloquent & engaging. I also highly doubt she'll lower herself to scantily clad glamour shots in order to get publicity, heck judging from the rising press she has already started to garner for her ontrack actions, she wouldn't really need to. She'll let her racing grab the attention.

She has already shown an ability to set up her car, converse with her engineer, accept 'bad luck' with dignity, was gracious when she made the rookie error, & most of all hangs it out there & is unafraid or intimidated by the established old guard.

I have been impressed with her in her first races in the big cars, as I was in Atlantics.

Her results belie the actual picture.. she isn't a backmarker driver by any stretch of the imagination.. She's still a young rookie, but is a very exciting & promising one, imho

:)

vintage
19th April 2010, 22:54
She has only been in the front because of pit strategy - never on speed. Both Brazil and Barber were because a large bunch of cars pitted and she didn't.

I am not saying she isn't talented, but that overall, that remains to be seem until we see how she does on the ovals.

elis
19th April 2010, 23:05
She has only been in the front because of pit strategy - never on speed. Both Brazil and Barber were because a large bunch of cars pitted and she didn't.

*sigh* Wow, someone will always find some reason to slate a driver & deny any credit when it is due... So answer this then Sherlock, she has consistantly been up top in practice & desperately close to advancing in qualis.. le'me guess, that was only through strategy?, raw speed & ability to keep it on the island had nothing to do with it? *raising eyebrow*

The driver has speed & talent. If you either cannot, nor want to see that, then that's fine, that's your choice.. but I'm with the majority on this one, including the other drivers, team personnel & racing media who think differently than you ;)

BTW, nice quick amendment at the bottom of your initial post :p

bzcam
19th April 2010, 23:46
That video of Simone with the marker shows you just how well her spatial functioning and memory is. THAT was scary impressive.....

Tags did a pretty good job with that too - too bad he had a crappy car for the race.

BZ

beachgirl
20th April 2010, 00:23
Tags did a pretty good job with that too - too bad he had a crappy car for the race.

BZ

I was impressed when Tags did that, too. He had the complete track shape exactly right. He just made the track a little bigger than it was!

Racers who can do this are more than special. Having raced in a previous lifetime, I know just how important this is to success. I enjoy watching this segment of the coverages, and I'm glad the racers are game to do it in front of a camera.

beachgirl
20th April 2010, 00:27

BZ

If she would ever lower herself to do this (and I just cannot imagine it), I will immediately stop being a fan of hers, and find someone else who cares more about racing than they do about stripping and doing stupid juvenile ads.

NickFalzone
20th April 2010, 00:27
Kind of off-topic, but I agree with Tony that she's more attractive than Danica. Put some makeup and good lighting on her, and she would also be a better print and tv model. And there's no competition in the personality department.

vintage
20th April 2010, 07:12
That backmarker has consistanly posted top 5 runs in practice sessions, including a number of P1's.

Are you talking Indycar? She has ONCE had a top 6 in a split group - half the field - she was second, ended up qualifying 11th.

At the Barber test she was 18, 19, 16

At Sao Paulo she was 12, 13, 16 in practice, Q11, R16

St. Pete 22, 17, 21 Q14, R14

Barber 13, 15, Q13, 8th in warmup, R21

Lon Beach 15, 15, 10, Q13, warmup 15, R17

I've probably missed something or made a mistake here somewhere, but where are all these top 5 an P1?

Good (but not shockingly good) job for a rookie, but as I said, let's wait for an oval.

Lousada
20th April 2010, 11:13
Good (but not shockingly good) job for a rookie, but as I said, let's wait for an oval.

Her team is on par with Coyne and Conquest in my opinion. But she did a whole lot better than them, and beating some other better-funded teams.

elis
20th April 2010, 11:19
Are you talking Indycar?
I've probably missed something or made a mistake here somewhere, but where are all these top 5 an P1?

I was talking generally throughout the sessions not the actual finishing place. Don't know about you but I follow every practice & quali sessions & see the times via T&S, so have seen her post top 5 & P1 several times, jockying with & 'beating' the 'big boys', including at LB where at one point she posted a P1, in effectively a shoestring budget car (& no she wasn't first out on track). Sure her times were eventually knocked down, but my point was she has raw speed, ability, & importantly she keeps the car on the island.. If you are going simply off the final quali positons, likewise with the race placings you don't really get to see the full story.

jmo

beachbum
20th April 2010, 13:07
Her team is on par with Coyne and Conquest in my opinion. But she did a whole lot better than them, and beating some other better-funded teams.Add in the fact that she is a rookie, and the performance is pretty impressive. But the true tell is how the people in the paddock talk about her. People like AJ and others have openingly expressed the opinion that they are very impressed.

Bringing out limited numbers to support a bias reminds me of the saying "Statistics Don't Lie; Statisticians Do". If the numbers are restricted to those that only support a particular position, they present a false picture. She has regularly been in the top 10 during practices. While Simona "only" made the top 12 once in qualifying, she has been amazingly close and very consistent every time. She qualified ahead of Ryan Hunter-Reay at Barber. Even Franchitti missed the top 12 at St Pete. Watching the qualifying on TV at Long Beach, she really hustled the car. The announcers mentioned how hard she was running and how she used every inch of the track. The only others who looked to be running that hard were TK and Power.

HVM is a very low budget team. Some have suggested their budget is similar to an IPS program. Yet with a rookie driver with very limited big car experience, they are challenging the "big boys". That is impressive. The fact that Simona is female is less important than the fact she is a rookie. As for Simona on an oval, she did test an IPS car at the Homestead test and was apparently quicker than most of the other regulars. She will do just fine on the ovals.

IMHO, there are some "fans" who are upset that she is getting very positive press while some other "celebrity" driver is basically being ignored because they are running at the back. Rather than acknowledge that "their" driver is struggling, they attack someone who is doing better than expected. As a rookie, Simona is running better than a number of veterans. She deserves accolades as one of the best rookie drivers to come into the series in the past few years.

bzcam
20th April 2010, 14:37
Kind of off-topic, but I agree with Tony that she's more attractive than Danica. Put some makeup and good lighting on her, and she would also be a better print and tv model. And there's no competition in the personality department.

Not off topic at all. In fact, its right on topic. The entire topic is about the new blond chick who's hot and has a great personality. There's some lip service being given to the racing part, but that's way secondary to being blond and hot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see Simona in the grid. She brings a little excitment and hopefully some new fans and the IRL needs new fans if it is to grow and prosper.

BZ

garyshell
20th April 2010, 16:03
Not off topic at all. In fact, its right on topic. The entire topic is about the new blond chick who's hot and has a great personality. There's some lip service being given to the racing part, but that's way secondary to being blond and hot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see Simona in the grid. She brings a little excitment and hopefully some new fans and the IRL needs new fans if it is to grow and prosper.

BZ

Who besides you is trying to make the topic be about "the new blond chick". It was started as a topic about her ABILITY until someone decided to try to make it about something else. Pathetic.

Gary

vintage
20th April 2010, 18:10
Bringing out limited numbers to support a bias reminds me of the saying "Statistics Don't Lie; Statisticians Do".

HVM is a very low budget team. Some have suggested their budget is similar to an IPS program. Yet with a rookie driver with very limited big car experience, they are challenging the "big boys".

As a rookie, Simona is running better than a number of veterans. She deserves accolades as one of the best rookie drivers to come into the series in the past few years.

Look, my reply was an effort to support your first quote above - lying with statistics. I believe most teams would agree that where you are at the end of the session is most indicative of your pace. In the middle of the session, some have run reds, some not, blah blah blah. I believe that is a better statistic than when someone pops up to the top based on a big lap on reds with low fuel in the middle of the session, or whatever. Picking out one moment of a session is, imho, a better example of lying with statistics.

I am also pretty sure none of us know what kind of budget Simona brings. Maybe you do, but I doubt it.

I will agree she is doing well for a rookie, and is likeable.

Mark in Oshawa
20th April 2010, 19:00
Give me the effort Simona gives with her refreshing personality any time over the snooty attitude Danica gives off any time.

The results are not there in the final rundown so far, but the story that isn't being told is Simona's speed at various times during the weekend on a team that isn't really anything close to the rides of some of the people she is beating. The day anyone calls HVM a race winning team will be the first....

TURN3
20th April 2010, 19:06
Give me the effort Simona gives with her refreshing personality any time over the snooty attitude Danica gives off any time.

The results are not there in the final rundown so far, but the story that isn't being told is Simona's speed at various times during the weekend on a team that isn't really anything close to the rides of some of the people she is beating. The day anyone calls HVM a race winning team will be the first....

Hey...Mario Dominguez won a champ car race with HVM! See, anything is possible!!! (Coughs...Danica...Japan)

The fact is that HVM has fallen downward and is in a class with Coyne and Conquest, yet she is out performing them as well as numerous drivers with bigger teams. Rookie, 1-car team, low budget, all equals impressive. I agree with what was mentioned earlier, she is the most impressive rookie to come up from the ladder series in quit awhile (maybe since Almendinger and/or Rahal?).

elis
20th April 2010, 20:20
Hey...Mario Dominguez won a champ car race with HVM! See, anything is possible!!! (Coughs...Danica...Japan)

Actually Mario won 2 races with HVM, even if you disregard the 'fortuitous' one at Surfers, he still lead Herdez to a 1-2 at The Grand Prix of the Americas in Miami ;)

Mark in Oshawa
20th April 2010, 21:51
Whatever Mario did with Champ Car, HVM isn't that proficient now....but maybe will be as Simona grows into the job and attracts some sponsor support.

The instant classic
20th April 2010, 23:56
Simona de Silvestro = my some day wife :p

bzcam
21st April 2010, 02:17
Simona de Silvestro = my some day wife :p

Yep, yep, it's all about the driving. I see that now.

BZ

beachgirl
21st April 2010, 03:03

BZ

It certainly is for me - I don't need a wife! :)

Hoop-98
21st April 2010, 03:16

Just a guess based on posts, but BZ needs some love, I think he was/is deprived, of course judging someone on their forum posts is flawed...

The instant classic
21st April 2010, 03:22

BZ

i was sold on her after i heard the words "french girl" :D

The instant classic
21st April 2010, 03:24

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 03:28

BZ

I don't take him seriously, neither should you....

TURN3
21st April 2010, 03:30
i was sold on her after i heard the words "french girl" :D

She's Swiss...which means she'll fight without a helmet on.

The instant classic
21st April 2010, 03:32

:eek: :eek: omg i fear her now :eek: :eek:

beachgirl
21st April 2010, 03:42

And without a pout and a footstomp either. :)

The instant classic
21st April 2010, 03:42
Fear, adds a bit of spice to the whole concept eh? :p :

yes it does, i might have to re-think this whole thing now, i fear she will ask me to do something and i say no and she ends up puting me in a headlock :eek:

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 04:32
yes it does, i might have to re-think this whole thing now, i fear she will ask me to do something and i say no and she ends up puting me in a headlock :eek:

I think she has better taste....

bzcam
21st April 2010, 04:38
Who besides you is trying to make the topic be about "the new blond chick".

Gary

Well, um, just about everybody else, that's who. How 'bout that Bertrand Baguette anyway?

BZ

garyshell
21st April 2010, 04:48
Well, um, just about everybody else, that's who. How 'bout that Bertrand Baguette anyway?

BZ

Really? I count about three.

Gary

Scotty G.
21st April 2010, 05:06
Simona is naturally fast. And much more talented then Danica. People seem to forget sometimes, that Simona is only 21 years old.

The issue she has right now, seems to be getting used to the length of these races. She seems to be having trouble staying consistant and has fallen off at the end of stints and the end of races this year.

Once she gets the hang of these longer races, she will be a consistant top 10 finisher.

NickFalzone
21st April 2010, 05:29
Simona is naturally fast. And much more talented then Danica. People seem to forget sometimes, that Simona is only 21 years old.

The issue she has right now, seems to be getting used to the length of these races. She seems to be having trouble staying consistant and has fallen off at the end of stints and the end of races this year.

Once she gets the hang of these longer races, she will be a consistant top 10 finisher.

Well as far as her drives to the front, it's worth pointing out that Simona has already led 4 laps this season (which is 4 more than u know who). Watching her in practice and the race she definitely seems to be pushing her car a lot. Granted, her results have not been all that great, but I have definitely seen flashes of a driver that has the skills and the desire to run up front.

Easy Drifter
21st April 2010, 05:52
Two moons in the sky.
Scotty is supportive of a non US driver! :D

Also guys, although I do not know about the Swiss ladies all the men are in the military reserve and keep their automatic weapons at home!!!

TURN3
21st April 2010, 05:55
Also guys, although I do not know about the Swiss ladies all the men are in the military reserve and keep their automatic weapons at home!!!

But of course, they have Swiss Army Knives!! :D

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 06:06

Scotty, I commend you for saying something nice about a non-American, but I think she has to work on things a bit more to be in the top 10. As much promise as I think she has, this IRL is more and more turning into a tougher game than it was pre merger. I think there is 6 top quality guys, and about 6 in that second 6......and Simona isn't the fastest of the next 6. She might get to that, but until she does, I won't put her in the top 10 on any regular basis.

That said, I hope she is that and more.....because she emulates everything I want to see in a young lady breaking the barrier for women in racing....

infoxicated
21st April 2010, 13:26
I don't understand why folk are so quick to claim that Simona has so much more talent than Danica or anyone else, for that matter.

She's shown she can drive a car pretty fast, and she has also shown that she's prone to making mistakes in the race. Being realistic, she's shown nothing to be particularly proud of so far this year, and let's not forget that Simona was beaten fair and square on track by Danica and plenty of other drivers on Sunday.

It was a crap race of that I'm sure, but with only one yellow in the waning laps there was no lucky fuel strategy in play - the results are about as close to honest as it gets.

On the upside, Simona does appear capable of handling these cars and she has a fantastic personality that I think will make her immensely popular in the series and with sponsors - that much is clear this early on in her IndyCar career.

But let's see how she does on some ovals before we start portraying her as the Next Big Thing.

I do find it odd that some people want Danica tarred and feathered as a sham and sent packing from the series, but she's won more races and crashed up less equipment than Vitor Meira. Not saying she's in the top 8 drivers, but she's certainly in the top 15 and in a series as competitive as this one that is something to be proud of.

It's certainly a more worthy accomplishment than leading a few laps because you stayed out when everyone else chose to pit.

vintage
21st April 2010, 15:29
I don't understand why folk are so quick to claim that Simona has so much more talent than Danica or anyone else, for that matter.

She's shown she can drive a car pretty fast, and she has also shown that she's prone to making mistakes in the race. Being realistic, she's shown nothing to be particularly proud of so far this year, and let's not forget that Simona was beaten fair and square on track by Danica and plenty of other drivers on Sunday.

It was a crap race of that I'm sure, but with only one yellow in the waning laps there was no lucky fuel strategy in play - the results are about as close to honest as it gets.

On the upside, Simona does appear capable of handling these cars and she has a fantastic personality that I think will make her immensely popular in the series and with sponsors - that much is clear this early on in her IndyCar career.

But let's see how she does on some ovals before we start portraying her as the Next Big Thing.

I do find it odd that some people want Danica tarred and feathered as a sham and sent packing from the series, but she's won more races and crashed up less equipment than Vitor Meira. Not saying she's in the top 8 drivers, but she's certainly in the top 15 and in a series as competitive as this one that is something to be proud of.

It's certainly a more worthy accomplishment than leading a few laps because you stayed out when everyone else chose to pit.

The voice of reason!

elis
21st April 2010, 16:12
let's not forget that Simona was beaten fair and square on track by Danica and plenty of other drivers on Sunday.

And let's not forget that Simona was inline for a solid top 10 finish at ST Pete until getting oofed out by Rahal.. Without being 'victim' to another drivers mistake she would likely have beaten plenty of other drivers in only her 2 time out ;)

Seeing as you mentioned Ms Patrick, De Sivestro, a rookie in a low end team has out qualified her more experienced competitior at every race so far, & has run ahead of her in every race also.. Whilst final results are key to the overall points tally, they do not always tell the whole story.

*Re your further point. I don't think most people are saying she is necessarily much more talented than some other drivers out there, what folks are saying is that she has already demonstrated an ability that perhaps would not be expected of someone who has never handled 'the big cars' before, & as such it could bode for an exciting & promising future. Yes it'll be interesting to see her oval work, but I'm prepared to cut Simona some slack, as I would for any rookie, given she has never raced this catagory before.

Heck she's still a young kid, on the first steps to learning, naturally a couple of mistakes will happen, as with all drivers, yet despite this, she has already impressed people that count. Her engineer has expressed, that she has a maturity, & a strong ability to convey data. Her fellow established drivers have given praise, heck even that old schooler AJF has given credit! Personally I put more stock in their words & impressions that fans on a forum.. but of course everyone is entitled to their opinion & that should be respected.. regardless of what we may think ;)

garyshell
21st April 2010, 16:47
*Re your further point. I don't think most people are saying she is necessarily much more talented than some other drivers out there, what folks are saying is that she has already demonstrated an ability that perhaps would not be expected of someone who has never handled 'the big cars' before, & as such it could bode for an exciting & promising future.

Enough with the PC BS. I'll say it. She has way more talent than the princess. She has already shown an ability to work with the engineers to set up the car. Danica has how many years under her Gucci belt and is still clueless with car setups. Danica has had several years in top flight teams and what does she have to show for it? One stinking win. Oh and the ability to stay out of trouble on the ovals when a team mate sets up the car for her. Wow, impressive... not.

"Oh no, Danica passed Simona last Sunday. That must mean she has more talent." What a stinking load of horse excrement. One pass means diddly squat.

When someone in a underfunded typically back marker team, out qualifies a driver from a top three team as Simona did, it says a lot.

I too, anxiously await her performance on the ovals. I hope she lives up to our expectations and kicks the princess in the tush.

Gary

elis
21st April 2010, 17:12
Enough with the PC BS. I'll say it. She has way more talent than the princess. She has already shown an ability to work with the engineers to set up the car. Danica has how many years under her Gucci belt and is still clueless with car setups. Danica has had several years in top flight teams and what does she have to show for it? One stinking win. Oh and the ability to stay out of trouble on the ovals when a team mate sets up the car for her. Wow, impressive... not.

"Oh no, Danica passed Simona last Sunday. That must mean she has more talent." What a stinking load of horse excrement. One pass means diddly squat.

When someone in a underfunded typically back marker team, out qualifies a driver from a top three team as Simona did, it says a lot.

I too, anxiously await her performance on the ovals. I hope she lives up to our expectations and kicks the princess in the tush.

Gary

Oye, don't be quoting my post & calling it PC BS.. not everyone thinks the way you do.. & some of us are quite capable of getting our point across without the need to have a virtual foot stomping hissy fit :p

TURN3
21st April 2010, 18:05
First off, many good points to be made her but to paraphrase the best of them, she has impressed her competitors, other team owners, and has gained respect from all of them as a rookie 4 races in. As the punch line in Ocean's 13 goes..."'Nuff Said".

With regard to Danica vs Simona, there really isn't any comparison in my opinion. One is a rookie with a very low budget typically backmarker team and the other is in her 6th (?) year now all with teams that were at the top when she came into them. You can go back and forth all you want to TRY and make a comparison because they are both female but the bottom line is Simona has a pedigree of being competitive and winning whilst Danica does not. As race car drivers, there is no comparison and that is a fact.

As for Danica's amazing pass on Simona at the end of LBGP (her 2nd on-track pass of the year without taking anybody out), let us take note that Danica used her OT button and Simona gave her plenty of room going into 1. Simona was all over the back of Danica every lap thereafter and Danica used her typical tactics, short of "blocking" to protect her 16th place position. Hardly the class Simona had shown her. On the last lap Simona was litterally 3/4 along side of the Danica and backed out to keep from getting run into the wall coming around the main curved straight (check LT for proof, believe it was .005 at the SF line). Danica has a right to defend her position and by the letter of the rule she was not blocking but c'mon...she didn't exactly lay the smack down on Simona and show who was boss. She was cheap and classless as has been her history. Simona has made 2 on track passes of the Danica this year (1 at Brazil and 1 at St. Pete). So if you're keeping score, it is 2-1 in that catagory with an asterik behind Danica's classless behavior in the final laps of LBGP.

SarahFan
21st April 2010, 18:10

I dont know about consistant top 10.....

but the 'getting used to longer races' is IMO a legitimate point

I can tell you from standing in T9 (hard right hander at the end of the back stretch) that during Quals Simona was clearly attacking the corner harder than danica....it was no suprise she out qualifies her

infoxicated
21st April 2010, 18:38
Oye, don't be quoting my post & calling it PC BS.. not everyone thinks the way you do.. & some of us are quite capable of getting our point across without the need to have a virtual foot stomping hissy fit :p
Thanks for saving me the bother of replying to that tirade! :D

I'll be more than happy if Simona does live up to the race fan forum generated hype (that's all it is at the moment - she's not dripping with the kind of sponsorship that suggests anyone in the real world think's she's a class above the rest of the field), it'll be good to have someone with a pleasant demeanour to cheer for, regardless of sex.

But right now the only real reason I can fathom for folk wanting her to succeed above all others is that she's a nice lookin' chick who might be better than Danica.

For some folk (and I'm guessing the old CARTsturbators make up a good proportion of them) that's all it takes, but I'm not ready to jump on the bandwagon on the strength of what I've seen of Simona so far.

Perhaps, like Danica did 5 years ago, she'll go down a storm at Indy. Maybe then we'll have someone special to talk about rather than the young girl who spun all by herself under no pressure at Barber or the young girl who pressed her pit limit button instead of the mic button at St Pete's. :)

Lousada
21st April 2010, 19:31
(that's all it is at the moment - she's not dripping with the kind of sponsorship that suggests anyone in the real world think's she's a class above the rest of the field),

You're really grasping at straws here :rolleyes: Milka Duno has more sponsors than 3/4 of the IRL yet nobody "in the real world" thinks she is a class above the field.

But right now the only real reason I can fathom for folk wanting her to succeed above all others is that she's a nice lookin' chick who might be better than Danica.
Yeah, that must be it... You nailed it perfectly :crazy:

For some folk (and I'm guessing the old CARTsturbators make up a good proportion of them) that's all it takes, but I'm not ready to jump on the bandwagon on the strength of what I've seen of Simona so far.
Ah, your true colors show. Someone from Evil Atlantics beats the IRL crown-princess, I see where you are coming from now.
NEWSFLASH: the split is over!

Perhaps, like Danica did 5 years ago, she'll go down a storm at Indy. Maybe then we'll have someone special to talk about rather than the young girl who spun all by herself under no pressure at Barber or the young girl who pressed her pit limit button instead of the mic button at St Pete's. :)

Cheap shots :rolleyes:

garyshell
21st April 2010, 19:40

Sorry, I wasn't really trying to single your post out. But I was getting a tad impatient with so much of the attempts at equivocation or deference to the princess exhibited by others here who seem to be afraid to call a spade a spade. And I wasn't counting you among them just trying to use the reference you made: "I don't think most people are saying she is necessarily much more talented" as a jumping off point. Sorry, I should have been more clear about that. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

Gary

Jag_Warrior
21st April 2010, 20:36

BZ

I'll be very honest with you, part of my desire to see Simona do well is because it would demonstrate that a female can be in racing and not have to rely on (JUST) her looks to be popular. Will Power has broken out as a rather amazing talent. In the old days, people would have been more focused on him. But now, the focus (fans, media, etc.) is still on a driver who has one lifetime win (in ANY professional auto racing series) and who is better known for her bikini shoots than her race craft. Look at all the time Versus spent interviewing a driver who came in 15th or 16th place! I didn't put a stop watch on it, but I'd say they spent at least as much time with The Danica as with the winner. In F1, if someone like Lewis Hamilton is down the charts, sure, the media will want to get the story on that. But why are we pretending that Danica's typically at the sharp end of the grid, challenging for wins... and what's happening to her now is a total shock, worthy of an EXTENDED interview???

I don't see Simona as a savior. I just see her as someone who has the potential to make a mark in AOWR... without having to get undressed to do so.

As for the other racers you mentioned, Graham Rahal has had his own thread here. Alex Lloyd, I don't know about. Mike Conway was spoken of on the Speed board, but I don't know about here. I watch as much GP2 as I do IRL racing now (more, actually). Conway was a B-list GP2 driver. But he's come here and demonstrated very good speed out of the box. Can he race? I don't know. I don't rate him very highly, just based on what I saw in GP2. But maybe he'll do OK here. As for Bertrand Baguette, if he broke into my house and I caught him, I'd still have trouble picking him out of a police lineup. Who is he? Where did he come from? Is he the IRL's Tristan "Gummybear" Gommendy?

I watch racing for a variety of reasons. And one of those reasons is the drivers (as people or personalities). In F1, I can also get into the cars, the engines and the technology side of it, in addition to the action on the track. Let's be honest, in its current state, I can't really find much in the IRL, other than the racing, that really flips my switch. So yeah, to me, Simona is sort of the "anti-Danica". But she also has a very legit resume, including a nice run in the Atlantics series with multiple wins. Also, I'm something of a scifi fan and she has Stargate Worlds as a sponsor (sorta/kinda).

Years ago (in the pre DVR days), if a CART race came on at the same time as an F1 replay, it was VERY hard for me to decide which I would watch. Now that's not a hard decision at all. Now the IRL is in a toss-up with the NHRA when they're on at the same time. Simona (just for me) is one reason to choose the IRL race. But no, she's not going to "save" the series or even make me consider watching an IRL race over an F1 race. But maybe she's a stepping stone or a building block. More legit racers and fewer attention wh*res certainly couldn't hurt, IMO.

vintage
21st April 2010, 20:42
Whatever . . .

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 21:06
I think the problem some are finding with Simona is they can't accept her pedigree or her bonafides yet. Fine...be unconvinced. But if you are going to adopt the idea she isn't worthy of the fuss, the please tell me where Danica deserves the attention SHE gets?

The reality is, people separate the women of the IRL from the boys because it is still a novelty to find women competing straight up in ANY professional sport against men and actually winning.

When you toss out Danica's fuel mileage win in Japan, no woman has beaten a man straight up in head to head racing at a high level. Yes, there has been women in NHRA, but that is one area where they have no real disadvantage, and maybe some advantages. Michele Mouton was a threat and winner in WRC when she was in it, and a great lady, but Rallying isn't racing wheel to wheel.

In short, we all want to believe I think or disbelieve (if we are sexists) that women can compete or not compete. Personally, I think they can compete, but on road/street courses with heavy Indycars, I do think they have to work harder. I think it is part of the reason Danica doesn't like the slugging it out on the streets and road circuits. That said, I would love a woman to prove me wrong. I cheered for Kath Legge, I cheer for Sarah Fisher, and I was open to cheering for Danica until I realized her personality and her apparent motives for being in the sport didn't work for me. I am fully open for women to be common enough in racing that the novelty of it isn't that, but just reality. The problem still is that it isn't, and we haven't seen a woman with the ability to fit in as a racer, just race, and be competitive.

Sarah Fisher can be that at times on ovals if she has the right car, but alas, that hasn't been for a while. Danica is competitive on ovals, but has shown a remarkable ability to not pass anyone and try to gain position's on pit strategy only. At times, I wonder what Danica does know, and we all have our opinions on her personality.

So now this little Swiss Miss comes along. No makeup really, no pretentions or allusions to being a woman in racing. She just shows up as a racer, and competes. In her previous stops up the ladder, she has WON more than once, and from all accounts raced HARD. She runs really well, has some bad luck, and shows good poise, control and etiquette on the track. She gives and takes when it is time for that, and she knows how to compete without using the chrome horn. Is she a superstar? Not yet...but she is competant, and she appears to be real. So When someone asks "why the fuss about Simona"? I just answer back, "there is a fuss because she is a woman, but I think in time, the fuss will be because she appears to be good". Time will tell...

vintage
21st April 2010, 22:50
I completely accept her "pedigree". She had a fine year last year in Atlantics - 4 wins, several podiums, contending for the championship through the last round with little teammate help (Frankie). That's about sums it up. The year before she got one win when Bomarito broke at Long Beach. That makes up her total of 5 career wins.

I don't think Danica deserves the attention either. But it seems like every time a woman shows up in one of these series, they get much more attention than anyone on these boards - other examples are Ana Beatriz and Pippa Mann (or whatever name she is going by this year). That means one of two things:

They are an exception in a male dominated sport - likely.

There are guys spending too much time on their computers without girlfriends - ????? (just kidding).

beachgirl
22nd April 2010, 00:08
But it seems like every time a woman shows up in one of these series, they get much more attention than anyone on these boards - other examples are Ana Beatriz and Pippa Mann (or whatever name she is going by this year).

And what name do you think Pippa Mann has ever gone by before? Maybe some facts should be checked before blithely throwing out fairytales.

vintage
22nd April 2010, 01:14
Sorry - I added Pippa to that after I originally wrote it - I meant that to refer to Ana Bia Beatriz Figawhatever - "blithely throwing out fairlytales"??

Try not to get too wound up.

rifraf
22nd April 2010, 17:28
By Danica's fourth race in an IndyCar she was starting 2nd and finishing 4th. Those are legitimate results against the field not just Sarah Fisher that would get any rookie noticed regardless of gender. Simona's accomplishments are basically out-qualifying Danica on road/street courses, which isn't really an accomplishment because so has almost everybody else and nobody would take notice if it wasn't a girl doing it. Danica's rookie year had 9 top 5 starts (including 3 poles) and two top 5 finishes which are noteworthy statistics. What noteworthy statistics - against the field not relative to Danica - does Simona have so far? Leading laps in her first race? Maybe. But there's a giant asterisk there since she passed 19 cars idling on pit lane to do it. I'm not trying to knock Simona or glorify Danica, just noting the disparity in actual results. It's what Simona does compared to the field that should matter, not just what she does against Danica. Also, EJ Viso didn't seem to have to much trouble qualifying that "typically backmarker" HVM car in 4th place last year at Long Beach.

harvick#1
22nd April 2010, 17:52
rifraf, how do you think Danica became the first woman to lead laps at Indy???? she stayed out when everyone else pitted.

Sarah Fisher and Lyn St James could've done the same thing to do, but they wanted to do it the correct way, and thats to pass someone for thelead when its green.

and so far Simona does not have the same cars Danica has driven, nor a team that was at the peak of its Indy racing career. dont start comparing drivers because the 2004 IRL season was way different then 2010.

but seriously rifraf, what has Danica done since other then getting worse and worse because the competition of the drivers have stepped up big time. the only way Danica passes cars anymore is through the pits, so whats your point

rifraf
22nd April 2010, 18:13
rifraf, how do you think Danica became the first woman to lead laps at Indy???? she stayed out when everyone else pitted.

Sarah Fisher and Lyn St James could've done the same thing to do, but they wanted to do it the correct way, and thats to pass someone for thelead when its green.

and so far Simona does not have the same cars Danica has driven, nor a team that was at the peak of its Indy racing career. dont start comparing drivers because the 2004 IRL season was way different then 2010.

but seriously rifraf, what has Danica done since other then getting worse and worse because the competition of the drivers have stepped up big time. the only way Danica passes cars anymore is through the pits, so whats your point

My point was Simona hasn't done anything genuinely noteworthy yet relative to the entire field.

I didn't list leading Indy as one of Danica's accomplishments.

The field may be fuller, but qualifying and finishing in front of Dixon, Franchitti, Wheldon, Briscoe and Kanaan is still just as hard and I have yet to see Simona do it.

EagleEye
22nd April 2010, 19:00
There have been several discussions about a few drivers, their talent (or lack there of) amount of time they put into their craft (or lack there of) etc. We all can formulate ways to back and support our opinions.

One great ways to gauge a driver, is to ask the other drivers about how the feel about a particular driver.

Simona has earned the respect of most in the paddock due to here hard work ethic, and her grounded personality. She is viewed as someone who works extremely hard without asking for anything in return.

While certain drivers expect and at times demand respect, Simona never asked, demanded or assumed she had it. She treats everyone fairly, and wants to be judged only by her talents behind the wheel.

Her career is in the very early stages, and it can go up or down. But so far she is viewed in a positive manor by her peers.

fugariracing
22nd April 2010, 19:05
I talked with her engineer Michael Cannon at Long Beach - one of the best in the biz IMO - and he referred to her as "a breath of fresh air." He was sincerely impressed with her ability to set up the car and how quickly she has adapted to these bigger cars. He's worked with Allmendinger, Doornbos, Viso in the recent past and for him to talk about her setup ability in such glowing terms, IMO, speaks volumes.

garyshell
22nd April 2010, 19:20
I talked with her engineer Michael Cannon at Long Beach - one of the best in the biz IMO - and he referred to her as "a breath of fresh air." He was sincerely impressed with her ability to set up the car and how quickly she has adapted to these bigger cars. He's worked with Allmendinger, Doornbos, Viso in the recent past and for him to talk about her setup ability in such glowing terms, IMO, speaks volumes.

FTW! Has anyone ever heard similar praise from a teammate let alone an engineer heaped upon the princess?

Gary

harvick#1
22nd April 2010, 19:52
The field may be fuller, but qualifying and finishing in front of Dixon, Franchitti, Wheldon, Briscoe and Kanaan is still just as hard and I have yet to see Simona do it.

and how much on occasion (when they wreck while trying to win) has Danica beat them straight up on ovals or road courses.

Simona isn't driving for Roger, Chip, or Andretti, she is in a underfunded team with limited resources.

its a pretty big hurdle to climb when you think about that.

Jag_Warrior
22nd April 2010, 21:03
Whatever . . .

My exact words, when I'd turn to an IRL race on ABC and they'd be gushing about The Danica cruising around in 7th or 8th place. And immediately after I uttered those words, I'd switch to a MotoGP race on Speed.

I'm (at least partially) agreeing with you here. If Simona proves not to be a serious racer, I'll have no time for her either. Maybe she'll flop out and wind up racing in the DTM or touring cars in Europe. I don't know. But from what I've seen so far, I find a glimmer of hope.

But do I feel guilty about wishing/hoping good things for a girl who just wants to be a racer, and not a celebrity/bikini model "racing star"? No. And if some people are comfortable with having a celebrity/bikini model "racing star" as the face of this struggling series... well, as you said, whatever.

infoxicated
22nd April 2010, 22:03
You're really grasping at straws here :rolleyes: Milka Duno has more sponsors than 3/4 of the IRL yet nobody "in the real world" thinks she is a class above the field.
Milka is an anomaly and you know it, so I'm afraid you're clutching at straws. Balls to the sponsors then - if Simona was the next big thing and every team owner and their dog knew it... why's she not in a 4th Penske, a 3rd Ganassi, or an Andretti Autosport ride?

Because sensible team owners don't fawn over a pony tail and a cheerful persona.

Yeah, that must be it... You nailed it perfectly :crazy: Thanks!

Ah, your true colors show. Someone from Evil Atlantics beats the IRL crown-princess, I see where you are coming from now.
NEWSFLASH: the split is over!You're right - but with your Danica hatred, you're the one showing that you're not quite over it! So classy - hating on a driver because they're marketable. Gee... wasn't that story with Kat Legge, was it... she was a "stunner" and talented when she was a CCWS driver. And not crashing.

Cheap shots :rolleyes:
Accurate shots. Or did you only want to look at the fantastic and wonderful things that Simona has done in the series... like... erm... leading a few laps 'cos she stayed out when everyone else was in the pit lane and not the actual race performance?

It takes genius talent to stay out when everyone else pits... and the same strategy had Danica leading laps at Indy. Her and countless other drivers through the years, yet with Simona it's a hallmark of talent and with Danica it's a cheap way of leading a race! Sensational logic there! ;)

So it's patently obvious there's a double standard at work in this discussion; Simona, despite having done the square root of f-all, is the next big thing. Danica, despite having led laps at Indy (I mean the ones she led after passing Dan Wheldon after the final restart, not the asterixy fuel strategy ones), having finished in a higher place in the championship each year than the year before, having put her car on pole several times, and having won a race, is somehow inferior at this point compared to Simona's stellar career.

Looks like there was plenty of Kool Aid left over from the dying days of Champ Car... I guess the fans must have thought they'd need enough for the whole CCWS 2008 season! :D

beachgirl
23rd April 2010, 00:13

It takes genius talent to stay out when everyone else pits... and the same strategy had Danica leading laps at Indy.

Perhaps if you'd check the lap charts of that particular race, you might find that Simona had already pitted a couple laps before for her stop. She didn't "stay out when everyone else pits", she'd pitted early and had already done her pit stop.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2010, 07:18
Simona was running up towards the front in Brazil based on the job she did driving...not pit chicanry. She has had some bad luck.

I am a fan of what she is doing, but like Danica, I don't think she deserves the ridiculous amounts of coverage that Danica gets.

People at the back of the grid don't deserve one on one interviews...not week after week.

Simona is doing just fine...by the end of the year I think her cred will be established.

Right now, as it stands, I am impressed, but not jumping up and down either.

I got on the Kat Legge bandwagon a few years ago, and someone pulled the wheels off. Kinda ended up some of the crow Jag fed me....

infoxicated
23rd April 2010, 09:20
That's a really good point, Mark - there's no point in replacing one over-hyped female with another.

I want Simona to get media attention as a driver, not as a novelty female sideshow - we've been through that already with Danica and it's only served to build resentment and lose whatever talent she may have in the noise.

All I'm saying is get behind a driver for the right reasons, not because she could potentially be a more capable replacement for what we already have. When she's going around the outside of people into T1 at Indy, then she'll have my full attention! :)

Meanwhile I'm quite content watching the fantastic performances of other drivers, like RHR and Justin Wilson - so it's okay if Simona quietly builds on her quick qualifying and practice performances.

Jag_Warrior
23rd April 2010, 10:31
I got on the Kat Legge bandwagon a few years ago, and someone pulled the wheels off. Kinda ended up some of the crow Jag fed me....

I actually blame Kalkhoven for Katherine's issues - I really never wanted to see her fail. I guess I did kind of hammer her years back. But it wasn't about her. Kalkhoven shoved her into the deep end of the pool before she was truly ready (and then gave her to a team that didn't want/like her), just so he could have his own version of Danica(mania), IMO. She seemed like a really good person, and a driver with some degree of talent. If she'd been assisted half as much as The Danica, I really feel like she could have done something in this type of racing. But like so many others, she fell victim to an ego and a bag of hotair with the initials K.K.

But as a guy who hated Prost and M. Schumacher (OK, maybe "hate" is too strong a word) and has NO use for Fernando Alonso, I'm not buying into what some of these other guys are saying about "liking drivers for the right reasons". What exactly are the "right" reasons? I dislike some of the true greats and I like some who aren't/weren't at the front of the grid much of the time. I was a HUGE Max Papis fan. I was a HUGE Jean Alesi fan. Maybe I only like Simona because she may be able to knock The Danica off her perch as Queen of the IRL. Maybe I also like her because she has some sort of backing from a scifi franchise that I'm a big fan of. Maybe she'll never crack the top 5. So what? I like Milka Duno because she was incredibly nice to my friend's grandson when we met her at the D.C ALMS race years ago. Does she belong out there? No. Do I like her. Yep!

People like who they like. A couple of people here have created a strawman to suggest that those of us who like Simona have annointed her as the Second Coming of Senna or something. If they really like this form of racing, they damn well better hope that people latch onto ANYTHING or ANYONE that keeps them from switching the channel. Remember back a few years ago, when The Faithful on CART and IRL boards were quick to tell critics not to let the door hit them on the way out? Well, they got their wish. Pretty much everyone has left the room now. This series cannot afford to be the least bit exclusive at this point. That's why I keep saying that this sport needs more fans like DanicaFan. Long gone are the days when people would be damn near ready to fight, as they argued over the Unsers vs. the Andrettis. Who here is even going to get their blood pressure up over Helio vs. Dixon? :rolleyes:

If some people here don't believe that Bertrand Baguette or Mike Conway are getting enough attention on MSF, I have a suggestion for them: start a thread about them! But I personally don't care that much about either one of them, to be honest. And that's true of most people as it relates to most of the current field. I think that's more of a problem than why some of us are latching onto Simona.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2010, 15:34
Good points all Jag..

You were a little harsh on Kat Legge...but knowing you as I do, and knowing that I cant disagree with KK putting her in the deep end, I think she did ok. Her first year anyhow. The second year? Well they just gave her a car and no help.....

I think on many levels she was better than she showed, but we wont see that now..she is back in England still racing what I am not sure..

Easy Drifter
23rd April 2010, 15:40
Kat drives for Mercedes in the DTM.

beachbum
23rd April 2010, 15:52
Kat drives for Mercedes in the DTM.Wrong - She drives for Audi. Susie Stoddart drives for Mercedes.

vintage
23rd April 2010, 15:52
It's fascinating to see the inconsistency in views - of course, since it's a woman driver thread, K Legge is pulled in. She's such a fantastic driver for getting wins in the Atlantic series against a "deep" field, but she was put in the "deep end". Why the deep end? She won in Atlantics, isn't that supposed to make her ready for the next step? KL didn't excel in Champ Car and hasn't excelled in the DTM, although I'm sure there are plenty of other excuses for that. I'll give her credit for making it to the top, though.

In my view, Simona has the best chance of any of these women to impress me, she just hasn't done it yet.

infoxicated
23rd April 2010, 16:26
You make really good points there Jag_Warrior.

I'll concede that as more of a hardcore racing fan (who hated Prost & Schumacher!) that I'm being too precious in why I think drivers should be deserving of praise.

You're dead right that we need drivers who capture the mass market attention. That's something Danica has done, and yet a section of the hardcore race fan seems to hate her for it.

I'd hate to see the cycle repeat itself with Simona, which is why I'm so reluctant to get involved in any kind of hysteria as far as she's concerned. To those who have already made their mind up, I apologise for holding you to some mythical standard.

garyshell
23rd April 2010, 17:04
You're dead right that we need drivers who capture the mass market attention. That's something Danica has done, and yet a section of the hardcore race fan seems to hate her for it.

I certainly don't hate her because of her "mass market attention". I hate her because of HOW she got that attention. Specifically, the FHM magazine layout, the stomping Danica tirades, her entitlement attitude etc.

Add to that her penchant for blocking and her inability to work with an engineer to set up a car, and you have a pretty good summation of why I wouldn't cross the street to say hello.

I am pretty sure most folks don't hate her because of the attention. I think it's a tad more complex than that.

Gary

infoxicated
23rd April 2010, 18:00
Should she have turned down the modelling work, when countless other athletes of both sexes have appeared in countless magazine spreads?

Should she suppress her desire to win and by extension her personality to gain acceptance?

Should Simona suppress her sunny disposition? Should Helio? Should TK hide his penchant for throwing team mates under the bus?

Show me a driver with no discernible personality traits and I'll show you Buddy Rice... on his couch... all but forgotten just six years after winning the Indy 500.

I think you'll find that most folks like Danica. Most folks being the mass market that NASCAR has and IndyCar covets. The folk who don't like Danica are the folks like yourself, Gary. It's all too easy to be a hater.

harvick#1
23rd April 2010, 18:11
I think you'll find that most folks like Danica. Most folks being the mass market that NASCAR has and IndyCar covets. The folk who don't like Danica are the folks like yourself, Gary. It's all too easy to be a hater.

the people that like "The Brand" normally are the ones who know very little about auto racing and they see some semi-attractive chick driving and thats who they root for.

my beef with her is that she says she wants to be treated like an equal on the track, but then she does all these photo shoots, constantly crys and complains about having to drive on road/street courses, always blaming the "other" driver, always faults the crew for not setting the car up for her, even though she has no clue how to set one up. the list goes on and on.

I have no sympathy for athletes that complain that things get too tough in the sport they play, they make the big money, they all need to keep their mouths shut and do the job at hand.

She should only be so glad she makes still millions in this world we live in where people everyday are still losing their jobs and the economy keeps tanking worse and worse.

garyshell
23rd April 2010, 18:55
Should she have turned down the modelling work, when countless other athletes of both sexes have appeared in countless magazine spreads?

The FHM spread? Yes, she should have turned that sort of trashy photo spread down. I didn't say a word about any of the other modeling stuff. I have no problem with her modeling as long as it's not like the FHM crap.

Should she suppress her desire to win and by extension her personality to gain acceptance?

Did I say ANYTHING about her desire to win? Don't attempt to put words in my mouth.

Folks like myself huh? Exactly what does that mean? It's all too easy to hate a driver who thinks the world owes her something, a driver who throws temper tantrums in front of the crowd and on the radio at her crew, a driver who is clueless when it comes to setting up a car but then blames everyone else for her lack of ability. If the mass market, be they NASCAB or IRL, overlooks those things fine. I could care less. But don't even think about suggesting that my hatred for the little princess has anything to do with what those lemmings think of her. My hatred is solely based on HER actions, plain and simple.

To be honest, I really liked Danica when she first teamed up with Bobby. I went to an event in Columbus and got to meet her. She was very humble and engaging. Then as time wore on, she became something quite different. The way she lashed out against RLR when she left and her actions since have done nothing but turn me off from her. I will say I give her credit for having toned down at least her on screen tirades last year. But from what I hear of the scanner traffic, that seems to be a conscious effort to fool the public.

Gary

Easy Drifter
23rd April 2010, 18:58
As many on here know I am supportive of most female race drivers.
I saw Simona race last year but never actually saw her in person or a picture until this week. She impressed me.
I have supported Kat, Lynn St. James, Sarah, Linda Wilson, Davinia, Desiree, Lella and both female drivers I worked with in my 30 odd years as a race car mechanic. There were others, I will not name, I had no use for.
Milka as a person seems nice but as a driver is hopelessly over her head.
I was supportive of Danica until her attitude and temper tantrums turned me off. Further she seems to have made no real effort to understand setting up a car or communicating with her engineers. You will notice she has a different engineer every year and even Michael gave up on working with her this year.
A female driver I worked with for several years had never driven anything but a stock production car until she got into a formula car. Within a few races she was analyzing what it was doing and we worked together to produce a winning car.
Once she retired from driving we got married!
She doesn't like Danica either.

TURN3
23rd April 2010, 19:23
the people that like "The Brand" normally are the ones who know very little about auto racing and they see some semi-attractive chick driving and thats who they root for.

BINGO! What has he won? Ahhhh...its a date with Danica at the quarter slot theater!!

Jag_Warrior
23rd April 2010, 21:11
It's fascinating to see the inconsistency in views - of course, since it's a woman driver thread, K Legge is pulled in. She's such a fantastic driver for getting wins in the Atlantic series against a "deep" field, but she was put in the "deep end". Why the deep end? She won in Atlantics, isn't that supposed to make her ready for the next step? KL didn't excel in Champ Car and hasn't excelled in the DTM, although I'm sure there are plenty of other excuses for that. I'll give her credit for making it to the top, though.

In my view, Simona has the best chance of any of these women to impress me, she just hasn't done it yet.

Stretch the truth much?

Point to the post that spoke of Katherine Legge as a "fantastic driver". Show it to me right now. I want to see this post... so that I can disagree with it. Mark didn't say that. I didn't say that. Easy Drifter didn't say that. Beachbum didn't say that. So who is the person that used the words "fantastic driver" in relation to Katherine Legge? Let's see... well, it appears that would be YOU! What do you know. Ya know, strawmen really only work when you have lots of crows circling a cornfield. Most other times they just get set on fire.

Why the need for the outrageous hyperbole, Vintage? No one has referred to Simona as a savior and no one has said that Katherine Legge was a fantastic driver.

Tell ya what. If Simona gets a few top 5's and manages a lucky duck win within the next 4 or 5 years, and THEN starts pondering publicly that she's not sure if she wants to do F1 or NASCAR (or become an astronaut?), I'll be on here slamming her every day of the week... and twice on Sundays.

If a person is going to talk the talk, but they can't walk the walk, I have to make fun of them. I just have to! I can't help it. I was that way with David Coulthard and Eddie Irvine (and I rather liked both of them). But they both talked a lot of s###, yet couldn't deliver the mail on time. It's genetic hard wiring. I gots to do it! :bounce:

You apparently have to be impressed by the driver on skill alone to "like" that driver... some of us don't have that same requirement, that's all. No need to beat a dead horse.

Jag_Warrior
23rd April 2010, 21:30
...and even Michael gave up on working with her this year.

Do tell. I didn't realize that. So Kanaan is no longer the team's setup slave. And according to what was on Versus, she's unable to work with the other drivers' setups... or her own.

So if she can't copy other people's homework anymore and her tutor drops her by the wayside, and now we have Epic Fail, maybe she shouldn't have been talking about Formula One, huh?

Despite what people may think about how I slam Danica, I do think she's good for any series she's in (short term anyway). Cause I garon-damn-tee you, if/when she comes to Bristol or Martinsville in NASCAR, yours truly will be there with bells on! Oh yeah! We're talkin' open kimono time! :bounce:

vintage
23rd April 2010, 22:57
There were no quotes around fantastic, therefore I wasn't quoting anyone. BTW, there is now a Bertrand Baguette thread, so I'm waiting for someone to post how hot he is. Then it will be just like this one.

TURN3
23rd April 2010, 23:36
There were no quotes around fantastic, therefore I wasn't quoting anyone. BTW, there is now a Bertrand Baguette thread, so I'm waiting for someone to post how hot he is. Then it will be just like this one.

A quick note to you, Baguette hasn't sniffed inside the top 20 so why would anybody want to discuss his rookie performance and in the light it has been impressive? Not sure what comparison you are trying to draw here? Isn't it you that is trying to make this about a female when the rest of us are complimenting a promising rookie?

rifraf
24th April 2010, 01:15
FTW! Has anyone ever heard similar praise from a teammate let alone an engineer heaped upon the princess?

Gary

"I am pretty impressed with how Danica drove today [at Watkins Glen], and out-ran all her teammates. She was 0.2sec ahead of even Kanaan [and Marco Andretti] and put herself seventh, and I’ve got to give her a thumbs-up on that. People have been negative on her, or saying she’s only good on ovals. Well that’s bull, and today she proved it. This is a balls-to-the-wall circuit, and she did a damn good job today." -Paul Tracy

Jag_Warrior
24th April 2010, 02:57
There were no quotes around fantastic, therefore I wasn't quoting anyone.

There were quotations around it in my post because I was quoting you. ;) Like I said, no one else was going down that road... only you.

No offense, but I sometimes wonder if some of you don't want Indy car to be (remain) this quiet, unassuming, low profile, little series, which doesn't get anybody too wound up. One of the attractions of NASCAR now, and CART years before, is that people/fans DO get wound up while favoring this driver over that driver. Even the early IRL had some of that. Some of the biggest fun I have ever had on the internet (or online) was talking s### to Prost fans on CompuServe and arguing for Rusty Wallace and Jeff Gordon with the Earnhardt fans on MSNBC.

For every hero or protagonist, there is an anti-hero or antagonist... that makes for good drama! People love that! Poeple want to watch that! And love her or hate her (and I can't stand her), but I will give Danica Patrick full credit for one thing: the little twit has a major personality (delusional or not). If this Bertrand Bagger guy can deliver the goods, fine. If Mike Conway can prove me wrong, that he's not just another Euro formula car washout, and he proves to be The Mailman over here, great! Does he speak English, so that when he starts racking up wins he can talk some smack? As long as somebody can get out there and break some furniture and stop being ALMOST as exciting to watch and follow as a dry piece of toast, I'm good with it.

IMO, another failing of this series (and its fans) is that people tend to just look for that ONE magic bullet. It'll take a whole mix of things to really bring the various one-time fans back, and get new ones. It won't JUST be the girl vs. girl of Simona vs. Danica. It won't JUST be a Honda vs. a Ford. It won't JUST be Dallara vs. Swift vs. Lola. It won't JUST be turbo vs. normally aspirated.

But my bottomline, and final word, on this tailchasing adventure is this: be happy for any mofo who is bringing ANY amount of extra attention to this series... lest you are prepared to see the final nail go in the coffin. Yep, I cheer against Danica... but at least it forces me to have to pay enough attention to cheer. So I'll never say that she's good for nothing.

Peace.

And remember, enjoy life... it's later than you think.

vintage
25th April 2010, 03:08
"Point to the post that spoke of Katherine Legge as a "fantastic driver". Show it to me right now. I want to see this post... so that I can disagree with it." That seems to indicate taht you were saying I was quoting someone.

Whatever . .

beachgirl
25th April 2010, 03:45
"I am pretty impressed with how Danica drove today [at Watkins Glen], and out-ran all her teammates. She was 0.2sec ahead of even Kanaan [and Marco Andretti] and put herself seventh, and I’ve got to give her a thumbs-up on that. People have been negative on her, or saying she’s only good on ovals. Well that’s bull, and today she proved it. This is a balls-to-the-wall circuit, and she did a damn good job today." -Paul Tracy

What year? One racer out of how many racers, tech crew, engineers.......

Mark in Oshawa
25th April 2010, 04:03
What year? One racer out of how many racers, tech crew, engineers.......

That was last year Beachgirl. PT said that about her. No idea if he was just stirring the pot with TK or he meant it.

Danica holds her own at times on road courses. I guess not wrecking people is a good thing as far as PT is concerned...lol

Jag_Warrior
25th April 2010, 19:49
Whatever . .

Aren't you supposed to place the word "like" before that? "Like whateva!" :rolleyes:

It's like so bitchin' that you have like the same reply for like everything. Like totally. Bag your face and like gag me with a spoon. Fer sure. Fer sure.

PnVE3UTIgEM&feature=related

bzcam
10th May 2010, 22:33
Nice article in SI.com about Swiss Miss.

http://sports.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/racing/story.asp?i=20100505154455740000101&ref=rec&tm=&series=IRL

BZ

Easy Drifter
11th May 2010, 00:36
Love S.I.'s heading. IRL with a Chev Taxi Cab. :rolleyes:

bzcam
1st June 2010, 16:58
A couple of nice articles about Swiss Miss from her home town:

http://archives.24heures.ch/VQ/LAUSANNE/-/article-2010-05-3051/simona-de-silvestro-a-brille-pour-les-premiers-500-miles-d8217indianapolis-de-sa-jeune-carriere

http://www.24heures.ch/actu/sports/simona-silvestro-privee-sacre-2009-10-12

She's on the map in Switzerland..

De Silvestro brille à Indianapolis

AUTOMOBILISME - La Vaudoise termine 13e des 500 miles remportés par le Britannique Franchitti.

Simona De Silvestro a brillé pour les premiers 500 miles d’Indianapolis de sa jeune carrière. La Vaudoise de 21 ans a pris le 13e rang de la mythique épreuve remportée par l’Ecossais Dario Franchitti.

Au terme d’une course truffée d’accidents – onze pilotes ont abandonné –, De Silvestro a fait parler sa constance pour arracher une belle place d’honneur. 22e sur la grille, la native de Thoune a gagné six rangs dans les cinq derniers tours.

Elle n’a toutefois pas réussi à s’octroyer le prix honorifique de meilleure femme de l’épreuve, puisque la sculpturale Danica Patrick a effectué une course d’anthologie. Partie de la 23e place, la pilote du Wisconsin est remontée à la 5e place finale.
SI

BZ

bzcam
1st June 2010, 17:00
Elle n’a toutefois pas réussi à s’octroyer le prix honorifique de meilleure femme de l’épreuve, puisque la sculpturale Danica Patrick a effectué une course d’anthologie. Partie de la 23e place, la pilote du Wisconsin est remontée à la 5e place finale.

However, it has failed to give itself the honorary award of best female of the race, since the sculptural Danica Patrick has a roll of anthology. Part of 23rd place, the pilot of Wisconsin is rising to the 5th place overall.

BZ

bzcam
1st June 2010, 17:12
"Scuptural", heh, wonder what that means?

This is cool too:

http://www.blick.ch/suche/simona+de+silvestro/

People in Suisse know who she is. Not bad for American auto racing in a country where F1 and bicycling rule.

BZ

Mark in Oshawa
1st June 2010, 21:04
She did pretty good for a first time. She I know wants to do better, and unlike the fashion queen, seems determined to race her way to a victory some day...