PDA

View Full Version : Citroen WRT vs Ford WRT

julkki
18th April 2010, 14:36
There seems to be a lot of discussion about the current differences between the Citroen and Ford right now. Four events done and a pessimist would say that title challenges are finished. Citroen seems to have upper hand, quite clearly actually.

But what do you think? What makes the difference right now? Is 2009 spec C4 WRC clearly a better car than 2009 spec Focus WRC? Or are the Citroen drivers (Factory and Junior team) more superior compered to the Ford drivers (Munich and Stobart too)?

Mikko and Jari-Matti seems to lost some pace compared to Citroen. They have losted paced compared to last year or even 2008, espacially Latvala. Wilson has been slow always, so speaking of equipment in his case is inrellevant.

But what about Henning? I think that he had more pace in 2009 than now.

Reporter asked in Sweden 2010 from Marcus about the difference between his current Focus WRC compered to 2007 spec. He was actually suprised that how similar that car was and there wasn't really bigger deveploment to better or worse.

Ghostwalker
18th April 2010, 14:58
i think its more driver related then car related and that the Citroen drivers just have been more consistent then Fords ditos.
Add to that a fast privateer Citroen (Petter) who have been taking points off the Ford boys.

Citroen have Loeb, Ogier, Sordo and Räikkonen and privateer Petter
(even if his his points doesnt count as factory points). That is 4 drivers all capable of finishing on the podium and 1 driver capable of top 5 (Kimi).

What drivers does Ford have? Hirvonen, Latvala, Wilson and Henning.
How reliable are they? JML and MH have done quite many mistakes this year
i dont why, perhaps they are feeling the pressure with the new points system? Wilson is, as you said, always slow and i dont know about Henning,
lack of motivation?

But look at last year, Loeb dominated the first half but then he had a couple of unusual errors and Hirvonen was able to take the lead.

N.O.T
18th April 2010, 15:02
every single driver in the citroen team is far better than its counterpart in the ford team. About the cars i think they are pretty much equal...its the drivers that make a difference.

Francis44
18th April 2010, 15:05
I agree, all drivers have one wheel and 4 tyres, perhaps there's some difference in cars but nothing that would justify 1 minute loss.

Finni2
18th April 2010, 15:25
My guess is that Citroen is slightly better car at some stages. On fast staff Ford is as good.

jacko
18th April 2010, 18:28
okay, we are here the wise guys but everybody on this planet beside family Wilson has to agree that Mr. Wilson made some tactical and general errors.
First it started with the follow-up with Marcus.
Everbody saw how good Loeb was, he's exceptionnel, on the level (or even higher) of Marcus, Juha, Tomi, Carlos, Colin. To beat this guy (when Marcus retired) they had to hire Duval the whole season beside Hirvonen and to ring Latvala later on.
And with Petter become free for 2009 they had another chance after Latvala was doing it bad back in 2008. Even 2010 they could hire Petter, now is Petter a problem for Ford like early said here.
Latvala is fast, good but it takes way too long for steady results. It was better to get him in one of the Stobart car and working on everthing a bit and play a good support role.

They already lost this season before it even started, like last year but they had the luck with the suddenly problems by Loeb.

And then the other Ford teams; what in the hell are sponsors thinking too support a Matthew Wilson who is really the slowest driver i've ever seen, it's pathetic and in his latest interview it was said it was a ten (!) year program..
It must be the Business 2 Business why Stobart is willing to pay the car for his son.
Then H. Solberg, many good international sponsors but he's driving for 3 years far from top drivers, he was interesting back in 2006 & 2007 but now it's nothing, hopeless, pathetic also too see. He's driving in nobody's land and will be catched by Raikkonen before the end of the season...
Villagra in the Munich car, why? With PG (or Pozzo if it must be an Argentine driver) in the car they had more attention for sure.
Block in the Monstor car is a complete commercial concept, i can accept that.

You need more drivers capable to catch and attack Loeb otherwise he will never make a mistake.
So hire PG directly and give Duval a fast car for the tarmac rounds and bring Meeke in the Stobart car next year.

Mr. Wilson and Ford are very good for the rallysport, thumbs up but the bad results is there own fault, simply.

About Loeb & Citroen; they are making the most out of it, the rivals making mistakes and beside Ford, from 2006 there was nobody else.

N.O.T
18th April 2010, 18:35
To beat this guy (when Marcus retired) they had to hire Duval

i stopped reading after this .....

jens
18th April 2010, 19:07
And then the other Ford teams; what in the hell are sponsors thinking too support a Matthew Wilson who is really the slowest driver i've ever seen, it's pathetic and in his latest interview it was said it was a ten (!) year program..

10 years? LOL! Is this serious? :p :

JFL
18th April 2010, 19:12
I have the feeling that Henning Solberg can do mucher better if given the opertunity.. It seems that he's paying to much for his seat in this team.. No testing at all, and not the top spec car.. And he is also afraid to destroy the car.. He even told that he could'nt afford to loose any more rear bumpers.. So thats how tight his budget is.. Mathew Wilson on the other hand is testing with the M1-boys..
Is Henning paying for his joyride? Just asking..

Langdale Forest
18th April 2010, 19:25
10 years? LOL! Is this serious? :p :

Last year Malcolm said that Matthew would be champion in 5 years time, so if he cannot win in 5 years he will give him another 10 years. :rolleyes:

N.O.T
18th April 2010, 19:31
No other driver in the whole history of the sport had such immunity and support as Wilson Jr....

something really fishy might be going with the ford b-team maybe the tax service of brittain need to investigate, Or maybe not......

julkki
18th April 2010, 19:51
Today I was reading the newspaper and I noticed a comment from Mikko. "I have to forget my survival instinct and put the pedal to the medal!"

What?!

You need to forget that survival instinct in the first SS if you want to challenge Seb. Too many times I have read comments from Mikko in the Finnish media that "Now I have to start to push, have to forget survival instinct or put the pedal to the medal"

Loeb doesn't give same kind of comments. It's only like "All is going fine, I'm going flat out" or "I can't go faster (this happens though very rarely)". I don't know if it's when Mikko tries to go in the pace of Loeb, he needs to overachive hugely or does those comments say that he has some safe-mode allmost always on or he has bad uncertainty of his speed. If he has, those seems to be permanent.

When Loeb and Ogier are going flat out and attacking one knows that they really are attacking and they really have the raw speed!

In Latvala's case it's clear that he has the raw speed too. When he pushes the car is on it's limits. But too often it goes over those limits.

In Mikko's case I have always had a confusion about the state of his skill/100% determination/car.

MJW
18th April 2010, 21:00
okay, we are here the wise guys but everybody on this planet beside family Wilson has to agree that Mr. Wilson made some tactical and general errors.
First it started with the follow-up with Marcus.
Everbody saw how good Loeb was, he's exceptionnel, on the level (or even higher) of Marcus, Juha, Tomi, Carlos, Colin. To beat this guy (when Marcus retired) they had to hire Duval the whole season beside Hirvonen and to ring Latvala later on.
And with Petter become free for 2009 they had another chance after Latvala was doing it bad back in 2008. Even 2010 they could hire Petter, now is Petter a problem for Ford like early said here.
Latvala is fast, good but it takes way too long for steady results. It was better to get him in one of the Stobart car and working on everthing a bit and play a good support role.

They already lost this season before it even started, like last year but they had the luck with the suddenly problems by Loeb.

It must be the Business 2 Business why Stobart is willing to pay the car for his son.
Then H. Solberg, many good international sponsors but he's driving for 3 years far from top drivers, he was interesting back in 2006 & 2007 but now it's nothing, hopeless, pathetic also too see. He's driving in nobody's land and will be catched by Raikkonen before the end of the season...
Villagra in the Munich car, why? With PG (or Pozzo if it must be an Argentine driver) in the car they had more attention for sure.
Block in the Monstor car is a complete commercial concept, i can accept that.

You need more drivers capable to catch and attack Loeb otherwise he will never make a mistake.
So hire PG directly and give Duval a fast car for the tarmac rounds and bring Meeke in the Stobart car next year.

Mr. Wilson and Ford are very good for the rallysport, thumbs up but the bad results is there own fault, simply.

About Loeb & Citroen; they are making the most out of it, the rivals making mistakes and beside Ford, from 2006 there was nobody else.
Agree - with the exception of the Duval bit.

Sulland
18th April 2010, 21:31
I have the feeling that Henning Solberg can do mucher better if given the opertunity.. It seems that he's paying to much for his seat in this team.. No testing at all, and not the top spec car.. And he is also afraid to destroy the car.. He even told that he could'nt afford to loose any more rear bumpers.. So thats how tight his budget is.. Mathew Wilson on the other hand is testing with the M1-boys..
Is Henning paying for his joyride? Just asking..

Henning should get out of the Stobart deal, and team up with Petter. That would benefit them both, if they could keep the truce !!

mjh
19th April 2010, 04:20
Have I missed something? There are only 15 points between the CWRT and FWRT after 4 events, it is still very close.

Citroen WRT is Loeb and Sordo, and Sordo has yet to set foot on the podium this season. If he keeps up his poor form this is going to cause a real problem for Citroen for the manufacturers championship.
If Hirvonen hadn't made his rare mistake in Jordan then things would be a lot closer. He's obviously trying hard to drive on the limit rather than settle for second and hope Loeb stuffs up (which nearly paid off last year). However now that Petter has refound his enjoyment of rallying I think the real threat is Loeb / Petter blocking out 1/2 on the podium and Hirvonen having to fight for third.
I don't believe Latvala has lost pace this year, I think he has accepted he is doing a different job and on that basis is having a good year so far, even with his roll in Turkey. He is backing Mikko up and scoring more consistently than Sordo. Its no good matching Seb's pace for 11 stages only to plough off the road on the 12th...
I think this year the makes championship will be a lot closer than you think and I wouldn't be surprised if Loeb / Petter / Mikko / Latvala / Ogier all had a turn on the top of the podium before the season is up......

I don't think the C4 is generally better than the Focus - they both have strengths and weaknesses, I think we are just seeing the usual all conquering Seb and a revitalised Petter against a Ford no1 and no2 that are getting used to having to use different driving approaches this year.

mjh
19th April 2010, 04:22
every single driver in the citroen team is far better than its counterpart in the ford team. About the cars i think they are pretty much equal...its the drivers that make a difference.

Ahem.... Sordo better than Latvala? Not on current form......

amilk
19th April 2010, 07:42
Time to wake up for Wilson sr. and to give the car of the junior to someone who can challenge the podium (like Petter, Ogier at Citroen).
Tarmac events are coming and we will not see a single Ford in top4.

I like Mikko but little bit tired to see the comments that "ok I have to push harder" - this is what he says since 3 years. Last year he was very lucky to challenge the title till the last race.

EavesFan09
19th April 2010, 08:31
Ahem.... Sordo better than Latvala? Not on current form......

I agree. Sordo had the advantage over the rally with Jarri coming higher than Sordo in only 6 of the stages and in the overall classification Sordo held the advantage in all but two.

But one rally does not make a season. Jarri has a 23pt lead over Danni and of course has out scored Sordo on every rally. In Jordan was higher than Sordo in 15 stages with 12 ending higher than Sordo.

ridder
19th April 2010, 10:07
Malcolm seems to think more about business than winning. Having some drivers that are there just for money is surely ok, but you should also have some challengers to attack.

There are free drivers that would be able to fight in the Top 6 given the opportunity:

Atkinson - about as fast as Petter if we should judge by times in crappy Subarus
P.G. Andersson

...and also one Petter Solberg

19th April 2010, 10:13
Malcolm seems to think more about business than winning. Having some drivers that are there just for money is surely ok, but you should also have some challengers to attack.

There are free drivers that would be able to fight in the Top 6 given the opportunity:

Atkinson - about as fast as Petter if we should judge by times in crappy Subarus
P.G. Andersson

...and also one Petter Solberg
Mikko and Petter would have been a force in the BP World Rally Cars, both as number one drivers and then when/if Petter started to lead Mikko in championship he could play a supporting role or vice versa..

Atkinson Or PG would be great in Stobart but i guess they didn't the big sponsors like Henning or even Block i guess

Another thing to consider is that Citroen is a factory based team vs Ford being a contracted team through M-Sport.. Do you think this would make much of a difference, Citroen probably has a bigger bank balance i assume?

Langdale Forest
19th April 2010, 17:38
Agree - with the exception of the Duval bit.

Duval is a good driver, I was so happy when he was leading Rally Germany back in 2007. :)

The win in Australia in 2005 was well deserved. :)

EavesFan09
19th April 2010, 19:51
i think its more driver related then car related and that the Citroen drivers just have been more consistent then Fords ditos.
Add to that a fast privateer Citroen (Petter) who have been taking points off the Ford boys.

Citroen have Loeb, Ogier, Sordo and Räikkonen and privateer Petter
(even if his his points doesnt count as factory points). That is 4 drivers all capable of finishing on the podium and 1 driver capable of top 5 (Kimi).

What drivers does Ford have? Hirvonen, Latvala, Wilson and Henning.
How reliable are they? JML and MH have done quite many mistakes this year
i dont why, perhaps they are feeling the pressure with the new points system? Wilson is, as you said, always slow and i dont know about Henning,
lack of motivation?

I cannot tell you how vivid the image of knives thrusting away is to read that as a Ford fan - but even though that is quite a painful statement to read I am unable to deny that is a statement that is so very true.

They (Ford) are underperforming because they are a tree with branches jam packed full of leaves which are underperforming regularly. They don't have near enough in-depth quality personell with the aptitude to win big and often to be able to worry Citroen even for one stage let alone one day or one rally. Latvala and Hirvonen do and can nab the odd stage win from Citroen here and there - but not anywhere near as consistently as Loeb, Sordo and Solberg (I have a question mark over Ogier though). I now look to 2011 and the idea that perhaps with the Fiesta already being built and run by M-Sport for the SWRC teams like JanPro and Nupel Global Racing.

What about Frederic Villagra at Muchi's World Rally Team? That is another team with Focuse's built by MSport.

Moriarty
19th April 2010, 20:12
Ford (M-sport) makes good money. Citroen wins champioships. That is difference.

Kamikaze
20th April 2010, 05:51
Ford (M-sport) makes good money. Citroen wins champioships. That is difference.

M-Sport must make money, Citroen can spent it.
That is the difference !!

Woodeye
20th April 2010, 05:59
Citroen mother company is making money - they can invest to rally. Ford mother company has been losing money since 1980 or something - they cannot invest as much. That's the difference. It's basic economics, when company is doing poorly, they reduce spending on marketing, like sponsoring a rally team.

amilk
20th April 2010, 07:41

To make money and in the same time deliver some result not always against each other. There will be a point when Ford will say thanks Mr. Wilson nice that MS running well and earning money but where are the results?
With Wilson Jr they don't make money and no result. Sit someone in this car who bring some money to the budget and in the same time will deliver some result.
The Fiesta will not change anything if the policy will be the same.

AndyRAC
20th April 2010, 08:25
Citroen mother company is making money - they can invest to rally. Ford mother company has been losing money since 1980 or something - they cannot invest as much. That's the difference. It's basic economics, when company is doing poorly, they reduce spending on marketing, like sponsoring a rally team.

I don't think Ford actually put a lot of money into the WRC program. Hence all the BPCastrol, Abu Dhabi sponsorship. If that went, then I'm sure there would be no Ford team. And that is why M-Sport has to run a a business - meaning paying drivers. A sad state of affairs for the sport.

jacko
20th April 2010, 10:36
money or not, it has to do what kind of choices you make.
Most important @ Ford: why must his son drives the Stobart car?
Malcolm knows like everybody else that his son is really crap.
Why didn't he give a Fiesta2000 the whole season, it was for sure more fun for his son and more competition
And he can learn a bit more fighting in speedwise. He's now learning absolut nothing, can he be proud of a 6 or 7th place? Don't think so.
So get a speedy driver in the Stobart car asap, it will benefit the Ford boys Mikko&Jari for sure.
As said here before; if the situation keep the same, they can bring even a better car but with Loeb still out there and even Ogier is already shining Ford will have to do it with the crumbles left by Citroen.
Ford must hire Ogier for 2011 if possible (if not than bring Petter back), give Meeke the Stobart car, that would be something right to do...

Rallyper
20th April 2010, 12:36
Newspapers in Sweden says PG will drive a M-sport Fiesta R2 in Pirelli rally this weekend. Malcolm W phoned PG before Turkey and asked him - so there you have your fast driver to line up Stobart rest of the year....

jacko
20th April 2010, 13:09
Newspapers in Sweden says PG will drive a M-sport Fiesta R2 in Pirelli rally this weekend. Malcolm W phoned PG before Turkey and asked him - so there you have your fast driver to line up Stobart rest of the year....
For sure PG is a bonus if he gets a WRCar. I think Stobart wants a britsh driver so Meeke or Wilks is the best choice to replace Matthew for 2011.
I hope PG will take over the sponsers from H. Solberg otherwise the sponsers are insane, H. Solberg is a nice person and good for the show but not enough speed. It's time for action at the front, battles to the end!

Halvis
20th April 2010, 17:48
For sure PG is a bonus if he gets a WRCar. I think Stobart wants a britsh driver so Meeke or Wilks is the best choice to replace Matthew for 2011.
I hope PG will take over the sponsers from H. Solberg otherwise the sponsers are insane, H. Solberg is a nice person and good for the show but not enough speed. It's time for action at the front, battles to the end!

Henning has been utterly disappointing this year (and also most of last year) - he was actually "much" faster in the Pug! Little (=none) testing, a new codriver - but still he should have been faster!

Langdale Forest
20th April 2010, 17:49
Prehaps Chris Atkinson could replace Henning Solberg.

jonas_mcrae
20th April 2010, 18:33
Rubbish, both companies have been loosing money for ages!! But right now ford is the best positioned!

PSA Citroen is actually doing good thanks to the French government and all the money and protectionist measures they have applied to protect the company. Citroen HAS to be 100% french, its almost like a national team! supported with taxpayer money! thats why they are getting Ogier ready, and so to make a 100% french lineup!

About ford, true, they were loosing money for a long time, but right now the company is doing quite well, specially in America. The involvement of ford in rally america is quite encouraging, maybe it can lead to more budget being pumped into FWRT.

However the big difference here is that Ford had no government support and that is why right now it wont invest more in rallying!!

And that is NOT basic economics its basic finance and accounting

Woodeye
20th April 2010, 18:52
And that is NOT basic economics its basic finance and accounting

Sure it is. You are saying that it's not fair that PSA is supported by government while Ford is not. Boohoo. PSA is still in better financial shape than Ford is. And wasn't it the US government helping all 3 big US companies when they were on verge of bankrupt.

To be honest I can't claim to know their below the line results well enough to make deep analysis about their situation. For me it just seems that Citroen is putting more money to WRC than Ford. With the help of Red Bull of course.

Bobcat
20th April 2010, 18:58
Oh come on! What an absurd thing to say! Ford becomes top-selling brand in Europe... http://freep.com/article/20100415/BUSINESS0102/100415009/1320/Ford-becomes-top-selling-brand-in-Europe

or Ford beats VW, takes No. 1 spot in Europe... http://freep.com/article/20100416/BUSINESS01/4160326/1204/business0102/Ford-beats-VW-takes-No.-1-spot-in-Europe

serial jeff
20th April 2010, 18:59
Sure it is. You are saying that it's not fair that PSA is supported by government while Ford is not. Boohoo. PSA is still in better financial shape than Ford is. And wasn't it the US government helping all 3 big US companies when they were on verge of bankrupt.

To be honest I can't claim to know their below the line results well enough to make deep analysis about their situation. For me it just seems that Citroen is putting more money to WRC than Ford. With the help of Red Bull of course.

I don't know much about Ford's finances either, but I do know that they received nothing from the government. The American government gave literally billions of dollars to GM and Chrysler, while Ford received nothing because they were considered to be doing okay.

noel157
20th April 2010, 19:29
I don't know much about Ford's finances either, but I do know that they received nothing from the government. The American government gave literally billions of dollars to GM and Chrysler, while Ford received nothing because they were considered to be doing okay.

Ford US did manage to force themselves to take a 6 billion dollar soft loan from the US Treasury last year to help improve fuel efficiency in future models and to pay for better production methods.
The company will also receive further funds this year and throughout 2011.

Bobcat
20th April 2010, 19:35
The American government gave literally billions of dollars to GM and Chrysler, while Ford received nothing because they were considered to be doing okay.
Well done!

Isn't Ford the hot automaker on a roll, gaining sales, posting profits, riding the goodwill of a nation for avoiding federal life support and sporting a stock price that's tripled in the past year?

And isn't GM the much-derided Government Motors, 61% owned by Uncle Sam, shrunken from eight to four brands in a bankruptcy that wiped out the Old GM shareholders, and still losing money as of its latest financial report a week ago?
True on both counts... says DFP.

RS
20th April 2010, 20:09
Oh come on! What an absurd thing to say! Ford becomes top-selling brand in Europe... http://freep.com/article/20100415/BUSINESS0102/100415009/1320/Ford-becomes-top-selling-brand-in-Europe

or Ford beats VW, takes No. 1 spot in Europe... http://freep.com/article/20100416/BUSINESS01/4160326/1204/business0102/Ford-beats-VW-takes-No.-1-spot-in-Europe

There is a difference between sales and profit....

Other points related to the discussion in this thread;

- I am sure Stobart get a "special discount" for running Matty instead of another driver.

- It does seem the Ford isn't up to the standard of the Citroen this year, but I also think the Fiesta will need to be faster than the DS3 if Loeb is going to be beaten.

Bobcat
20th April 2010, 20:21
Ford US did manage to force themselves to take a 6 billion dollar soft loan from the US Treasury last year to help improve fuel efficiency in future models and to pay for better production methods.
The company will also receive further funds this year and throughout 2011.
That is so not true! Tesla, Ford and Nissan win big with DOE grants... http://revengeoftheelectriccar.com/tesla-ford-and-nissan-win-big-with-doe-grants/

Bobcat
20th April 2010, 20:31
There is a difference between sales and profit....
If GM, PSA (Citroen) or VW can post operating profits of $8 billion this year, as Ford is expected to do. :)

MikeD
20th April 2010, 21:23
The Ford fans "big book of excuses" has now hit a new low, where it's suddenly about sales of private cars that is more relevant than results in a sport they have participated in since 1973 with relatively little championship success.

Personally I think it wont take many more defeats this year before M-Sport calls it a day and will start to focus 100% on getting the Fiesta WRC ahead of the DS3 WRC for next year.

But Ford still need to have a good deep look at their driver lineup for next year. They somehow need to prevent Citroën from lining up 4 strong talents (Loeb, Sordo, Ogier & PSolberg) that are all able to take points from their own two factory drivers.

And they for sure needs to replace Wilcrap in the Stobart team with a more talented driver.

MJW
20th April 2010, 22:04
Ford hasn't got a chance with the current line up. Latvala truly has the speed, but Mikko is a brilliant 2nd driver in a team. Too many times he says things like "now I have to go fast(er)" As for the paying drivers....... either they have too much money or sponsor that enjoy spending their shareholders money on hobby drivers. Its interesting that MW is getting PG to drive in the Pirelli rally, (OK only in an R2 Fiesta), maybe he has finally woken up and smelt the coffee, and realises if he gets PG's signature on a contract, maybe instead of the Skoda for S2K Cup and maybe Prodrive for 2011, his team at least gets another fast driver.
The way things stack up now is Loeb, Petter/Ogier/Latvala, then Hirvonen, then Kimi - Henning, Ice Cream, Monster and Matt are not in the game. Its more fun seeing how close PG and Prokop are to them on S2KCup rounds. Unless Ford get better drivers next year, I think they will go the way of SEAT/SKODA, Mitsu, Suzuki and Subaru - then we can have a one make cup, Citroen WRC.

serial jeff
20th April 2010, 23:06
The Ford fans "big book of excuses" has now hit a new low, where it's suddenly about sales of private cars that is more relevant than results in a sport they have participated in since 1973 with relatively little championship success.

I may not be a Ford fan, but this statement is very inaccurate. If I recall correctly, Ford is tied with Lancia for the most rally wins for any manufacturer. They've built plenty of excellent rally cars over the years, the Focus being one of them.

But Ford still need to have a good deep look at their driver lineup for next year. They somehow need to prevent Citroën from lining up 4 strong talents (Loeb, Sordo, Ogier & PSolberg) that are all able to take points from their own two factory drivers.

This I agree with. As it stands, they are seriously disadvantaged by their drivers.
However, Sordo is not going to stay with Citroen if they kick him out in favour of Ogier. And I don't think Petter has any allegiance with Citroen; he'll take the best car he can get his hands on, whatever that may be. At this point it's difficult to know who's going to be driving what next year, especially when it's not even certain which manufacturers will be competing.

Woodeye
21st April 2010, 08:07
[quote="MikeD"]The Ford fans "big book of excuses" has now hit a new low, where it's suddenly about sales of private cars that is more relevant than results in a sport they have participated in since 1973 with relatively little championship success.

But Ford still need to have a good deep look at their driver lineup for next year. They somehow need to prevent Citroën from lining up 4 strong talents (Loeb, Sordo, Ogier & PSolberg) that are all able to take points from their own two factory drivers.QUOTE]

None has said that it'll effect how many cars you've sold will allow you to invest to WRC team. It depends on the state of the business and Ford has been doing badly for years now. That's why I think, and been thinking for years, that Citroen just invests more than Ford to WRC.

How many rallies Sordo has won btw..?

Bobcat
21st April 2010, 13:26
I'm sending you the link. Enjoy yourself! Ford in rallying (http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=701&featureid=994&desc=Ford%20in%20rallying) - WRC - Manufacturers 70 years of success

serial jeff
21st April 2010, 15:36
While we're discussing drivers, I just noticed that Dani Sordo is at risk of being overtaken by Matt Wilson in the drivers standings :eek: I suspect his fortunes will change in NZ, but for now, holding a 2 point lead over Wilson Jr must be giving Quesnel fits :p

MikeD
21st April 2010, 22:20
I may not be a Ford fan, but this statement is very inaccurate. If I recall correctly, Ford is tied with Lancia for the most rally wins for any manufacturer. They've built plenty of excellent rally cars over the years, the Focus being one of them.

Maybe Ford has equally as many wins as Lancia but Lancia quit the sport some 17-18 years ago. And btw: I was referring to championship success. All Ford have are 3 manu titles in their entire WRC history plus 1 drivers title in 1981 and one semi-drivers title in 1979. Not exately impressive over 37 years of rallying.

How many rallies Sordo has won btw..?

None of course, but he will for sure make life difficult for Ford in the Manu title with 4 tarmac rallies this year and he has beaten Latvala in the drivers title in the last 3 years ... so he is more valuable for Citroën that people might notice.

Bobcat
22nd April 2010, 21:02
Maybe Ford has equally as many wins as Lancia but Lancia quit the sport some 17-18 years ago. And btw: I was referring to championship success. All Ford have are 3 manu titles in their entire WRC history plus 1 drivers title in 1981 and one semi-drivers title in 1979. Not exately impressive over 37 years of rallying.
God, that corny song again? Don't be ridiculous! Ford definitely deserved more than this and in fact very often came close with many, many 2nd and 3rd places in the title race - in the drivers and manufacturers. Ford was rallying non stop from the first Monte Carlo rallies until today, an absolutely unbeatable loyalty and performance consistency record!

Brother John
23rd April 2010, 06:34
God, that corny song again? Don't be ridiculous! Ford definitely deserved more than this and in fact very often came close with many, many 2nd and 3rd places in the title race - in the drivers and manufacturers. Ford was rallying non stop from the first Monte Carlo rallies until today, an absolutely unbeatable loyalty and performance consistency record!

:up: Best reaction on a lot of Bullsh!t post here! ;)

figjam
23rd April 2010, 16:44

Yep it sure does help when the french tax payers put sooo much money into their car companies, no wonder they can spend as much as they like on their motorsport programmes.........

If they can't make money they should go bankrupt, oh wait citroen already did that in the seventies....

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/peugeot-citroen-renault-get-6-5bn-loan-french-government

http://www.caradvice.com.au/22928/volkswagen-ceo-criticises-french-bail-out-plan/http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/09/renault-peugeot-bailout-markets-equity-0209_autos_12.html

Level playing field? my arse.........

OldF
23rd April 2010, 22:19
IMO a Citroén can’t be compared to a Citroén and a Ford can’t be compared to another Ford and even more difficult it’s to compare Citroén with a Ford. Just look what Petter achieved with the Xsara and know what he’s doing whit the C4.

I think the two cars have been designed with a quite different philosophy. The Citroén was designed for tarmac rallies and the Ford for gravel rallies but was I’ve read, it’s seems to better to design the car for tarmac and then adding to it the gravel specs.

IMO the Citroén looks more agile compared to the Ford?