PDA

View Full Version : The "I was wrong" thread

Sonic
18th April 2010, 12:38
Ok guys and gals, here's your chance to right some wrongs.

Post here if you were one of those who swore blind that Schumacher was going to obliterate young Nico, or that Lewis was going to thump Jenson into next week etc. And admit your errors.

Just end the thread with these three words;

I was wrong

UltimateDanGTR
18th April 2010, 12:42
can't we wait till the end of the season for this? things might change, like my reckoning that hamilton would beat Button-there's only 11 points in that one.

If i said i was wrong now, then hamilton beat button in the final season standings, i'd have been wrong twice!

F1boat
18th April 2010, 12:43
Well, I thought that Red Bull will not enjoy the superiority they had in the end of last year and although as a team they are lacking, I was dead wrong about the car, even if I was cautious with Newey making the design, I didn't expect the RBR to be so damn fast. This, I believe, my was biggest mistake.
The second one, obviously, is when I overestimated MS and Mercedes. I thought that Mike would not return if he is not confident in his abilities - and I was wrong. I was sure that for the deal between Brawn GP and Mercedes to happen, the silver arrows must have a very good car and I was wrong again. And Nico is doing better than what I expected.
As are Renault. I seriously underestimated them.
And finally, as a Jenson fan I was a bit downbeat because Lewis, let's face it, is really really fast. But so far Jenson is proving me wrong, he is doing a fantastic job!

Sonic
18th April 2010, 12:44
I'll start.

Jenson Button has completely turned around my opinion. Not only has he been fast, won two GP's and is leading the championship, he seems to be chipping away at the "team lewis" vibe that McLaren had been giving off fore the last few years.

I didn't think he could do it, but I was wrong

donKey jote
18th April 2010, 12:53
I never thought this thread would get any replies...
I was wrong :p

Sonic
18th April 2010, 13:06
can't we wait till the end of the season for this? things might change, like my reckoning that hamilton would beat Button-there's only 11 points in that one.

If i said i was wrong now, then hamilton beat button in the final season standings, i'd have been wrong twice!

I ain't your mother ;) if you feel you were wrong, say so here. If not - don't. :)

I felt I had been overly critical of Jenson and he has proved me wrong (even if the end championship position is reversed) so I felt I needed to square it with the world.

Sonic
18th April 2010, 13:07
I never thought this thread would get any replies...
I was wrong :p

You and me both :D

Daniel
18th April 2010, 13:30
I though people waited till well into the season or till the end to make sweeping statements like driver x is better than driver y

Hawkmoon
18th April 2010, 13:35
I think most people, including me, had Alonso over Massa, Vettel over Webber, Hamilton over Button and Schumacher over Rosberg. While Alonso and Vettel are beating their teammates to a greater or lesser extent, Schumacher and Hamilton are on the receiving end of the beatings.

I for one am surprised at how Rosberg and Button have performed relative to their teammates. I have never rated Rosberg, always thought he was overrated, and I thought Button was the weakest world champion we've seen in 15 years.

I'm not willing to admit my error in judgement regarding these two just yet as 4 races do not a season make but they have both grown in my estimation this season. Rosberg has Schumi 4-0 in both qualifying and the race and Button has Hamilton 3-1 in both. Colour me surprised!

CNR
18th April 2010, 13:42
i was wrong to think that toro rosso would be better this year

jens
18th April 2010, 13:51
I'm wrong so often that it's difficult to count these cases. :p : Best that can be done is to try to learn from them. One thing here is for people to admit their mistakes - another thing is to avoid making similar mistakes in their future predictions.

In terms of teams' pecking order I don't think I have stuffed up too significantly for 2010 after an embarrassing 2009.

If we are talking about driver ratings and performances, then it's interesting to follow the influence of new rules and also car designs. Especially Button seems to be enjoying these.

Generally what we are seeing is another proof that actually most drivers on the grid are capable of top-notch performances and beating even the most highly-rated drivers more than once on a bit more regular basis if they are fully in their comfort zone in the car at their disposal. Another question is that how wide is the top-class performance-window for each driver, who are more and who are less adaptable. That's where each drivers' personal characteristics seem to get involved, and which we are trying to understand as well as possible. Funny how Barrichello outqualified Button last year and Button is doing the same to Hamilton now. On his day Barri would beat Hamilton too, of course. But maybe not over a full season. It's also interesting to see Schumacher struggling, who was supposed to be the master of adaptability.

I mean in the last five years drivers have experienced massive amount of changes. They have had to get used to all kinds of different things and play the game along if they wanted to stay at the top flight. Tyres, which are meant to last the whole race, tyre war, "control tyres". Slick and grooved tyres. Full tanks and "half tanks". Driver aids and not. Very different aerodynamical packages. It's easier to ask, what hasn't been tried yet. :p : Hence it's interesting to see that each year seems to put various drivers into a different light compared to what we have been used to. Also circumstances and working in the right environment are quite important. Maybe Sutil could be another Massa if he was working with Smedley. But at the moment he isn't seen as a future title contender.

UltimateDanGTR
18th April 2010, 13:54
Schumacher and Hamilton are on the receiving end of the beatings.

well, schumacher is certainly being on a beating currently. however I hardly think that Hamilton is on the recieving end of one, he is only 11 points behind in the drivers standings. compare that to rosberg vs schumacher 50 vs 10 points at mercedes and that is a beating IMO. Button may have 2 wins, but Hamilton has been more consistent and I'd say it's very close between those 2. also, Hamilton is more exciting to watch. :D

jens
18th April 2010, 14:05
I don't think Hamilton is getting beaten by Button. In races it is 2-2 and if we sum up race positions it's 17 (7-1-8-1) vs 17 (3-6-6-2)! Button is leading the WDC by the virtue of the bigger influence of race wins in the standings.

ioan
18th April 2010, 14:09
Ok guys and gals, here's your chance to right some wrongs.

Post here if you were one of those who swore blind that Schumacher was going to obliterate young Nico, or that Lewis was going to thump Jenson into next week etc. And admit your errors.

Just end the thread with these three words;

I was wrong

You're willing to jump the gun again?

Sonic
18th April 2010, 14:19
You're willing to jump the gun again?

Nope. Just saying it like I see it! I truely believed that Lewis was light years better than Jensonbut no matter what happens this year Jenson has proved he does not require a Brawn engineered half second advantage to win.

keysersoze
18th April 2010, 14:43
I was also wrong about the Jenson-Lewis match-up, but the weather and strategy has played into Jenson's hand. In the dry I still think Lewis has a decided advantage in race pace but if tire wear is marginal Jenson could occasionally beat him.

I predicted an early-season advantage for Nico and so far that has proven true, but now I think he will remain superior, so I was also wrong there.

It's still early days but Hulkenberg needs to get on terms with Rubens' pace or the boy may be forgotten.

steveaki13
18th April 2010, 15:27
I've got One.

I thought one thing every F1 team could do was design a car with a fuel tank big enough to get to the end of the race. ;)

I Was Wrong :p : :D

markabilly
18th April 2010, 15:31
Okay I will agree that I-oan was wrong.

That should make everyone but oan very happy

but jens, how could you??

Funny how Barrichello outqualified Button last year and Button is doing the same to Hamilton now. On his day Barri would beat Hamilton too, of course.

Wasted Talent
18th April 2010, 15:34
Okay I will agree that I-oan was wrong.

Hardly a surprise..........

WT

pino
18th April 2010, 17:17
I thought Jarno would score a dozen points before Barcellona...I was wrong :eek: :p :

SGWilko
18th April 2010, 17:41
I thought Jarno would score a dozen points before Barcellona...I was wrong :eek: :p :

Stay off the Pinot, Pino!!! :laugh:

(I hope you get thet....)

Roamy
18th April 2010, 17:45

Pino
You have to think with your head - not your heart !

jens
18th April 2010, 18:24

Well, he has scored something around that in the "New Teams' Championship". :D

Dzeidzei
18th April 2010, 19:36
I thought Nico would have a hard time with MS but still come on top.
I was wrong!

I never thought Jenson would have all this in him. I should have and was wrong. I still rate "the balls" better, but may be he´ll loose the mental game with Jenson.

Donney
19th April 2010, 07:02
I thought Hamilton would obscure Button, and I was wrong

I thought Sauber had a better car, or even a car... I was wrong

I thought Renault would fade into the mid pack and I was wrong

I thought Schumacher would perform better, and I was wrong, though there are still a lot of races left.

Rollo
19th April 2010, 07:07
I thought that Mark Webber would never win a single GP...

I was wrong

SGWilko
19th April 2010, 09:47
Damn bugger blast - I WAS WRONG about the Lotto numbers......

....again.

Retro Formula 1
19th April 2010, 11:18
I was wrong about Button and Hamilton which is a pleasant surprise.

I was right about Schumacher and Nico so honours even.

bluegem280
20th April 2010, 05:44
Agree, Jenson strength is he can keep the head cool while driving. He just stay or not hastily change the plan at the races with weather uncertain it's wet or dry, so he can save his time from too much entering pit lane. As the older driver with more experiences, Jenson strength is perfectly acceptable. Unless the season ends and Jenson remains at the top of Lewis, I still rate Lewis is faster and better. We only need to take a look at the result to know the better regardless which driver the faster.

From the beginning I doubt in these opening races Schumi will outperform his teammate, he still need times to adapt that he may improve in few races left. However his comeback is beneficial for the team and for the sport. It may increase F1 rating at some degree.

Perhaps, my wrong guess, like many other F1 viewers, we don't expect the youngest driver Alguersuari performs better than Buemi, after he spent a few races of learning race last year. Buemi may have been unfortunated involving in some incidents, but like it or not as of this stage Alg already scoresd 2 points.

Dzeidzei
20th April 2010, 11:44
I thought it would take 5-6 races until the latino blood boiled at Ferrari. I WAS WRONG. It took only 4 races. And Montezemolopää is now reassuring that everything is fine. Thats the first and most certain sign that everything is going very wrong.

Except casualties in the Ferrari war. Felipe can only loose this, as Fernando has all that Santander money behind him.

Speaking about 2011: Do Spanish and Polish get along okay?

Sonic
20th April 2010, 11:54

Best pals by all accounts.

markabilly
20th April 2010, 13:11
I thought it would take 5-6 races until the latino blood boiled at Ferrari. I WAS WRONG. It took only 4 races. And Montezemolopää is now reassuring that everything is fine. Thats the first and most certain sign that everything is going very wrong.

Except casualties in the Ferrari war. Felipe can only loose this, as Fernando has all that Santander money behind him.

?
LIES and BASELESS rumors.....

The big boss says nothing is wrong...After all, what is a little bump off the road when both are in the pitlane trying to pit, and you who were ahead, and is now behind?????

:beer:

janneppi
20th April 2010, 13:15

Aikamoista. :D

Massa has quite a lot of Santander backing too, if I rember correctly Brazil is one of the biggest, if not the biggest market for them outside Europe.

I don't see Kubica being easier than Massa, just look how much he complains now. :)

LadySnowcat
20th April 2010, 13:29
I thought Williams might be decent this year....

I was wrong... unfortunately....

Dzeidzei
20th April 2010, 13:30
Massa has quite a lot of Santander backing too, if I rember correctly Brazil is one of the biggest, if not the biggest market for them outside Europe.

This may be true, however I dont recall Felipe being bought into Ferrari with Santander money. With Alonso this is a clear fact.

Dzeidzei
20th April 2010, 13:33
Oh dear that is confirmation in its strongest form if Luca is discussing it with the press.. :p

I just called Felipe and he says everything is fine. He just loves Fernando and will step aside in the future too. He´ll even wear red-and-yellow underpants in Barcelona.

And the Santander twins are starting a twitter page together entitled "Illkissyoursifyoullkissmine"

LadySnowcat
20th April 2010, 13:57
To put this in the context of the thread I think Felipe is saying ...

"Luca told me that I wouldn't be treated like a second class citizen and I believed him"...

I was wrong...

fandango
17th May 2010, 10:59
It took me a while to find this thread. My brother called me from Sydney just before the race in Spain and I assured him that things would not work out for Webber, that something would happen and he'd be out of the race.

So here I am. Hats off to Webber (and helmets tossed into the crowd for good measure), he's really come up in my estimation, the best week in his racing career. I've been saying he's crap for ages.

(I'm secretly hoping to begin a "Ha-ha, I was really right after all" revenge thread.)

markabilly
17th May 2010, 12:42
I was wrong when I thought i was wrong

Sonic
17th May 2010, 12:47
I was wrong when I thought i was wrong

Now, now. That would be a new thread Mark ;) :p

Now go start a "I was wrong about thinking I was wrong thread" :D

wedge
17th May 2010, 13:44
I must be naive and stupid.

I was expecting Ioan to admit he has been wrong in the past :D