PDA

View Full Version : Bernard says series to highlight races outside the 500

NickFalzone
17th April 2010, 01:16
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/2010-04-16-2090429666_x.htm

LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) — The Indy Racing League could be in for some "major" changes.

New CEO Randy Bernard said Friday the IRL will make an announcement in the next two weeks about adding excitement to races outside of the Indianapolis 500.

Speaking at the Grand Prix of Long Beach, Bernard hinted the open-wheel circuit will do something to put emphasis on a handful of events to gain more national attention. He mentioned the NFL playoffs and golf's majors as events that draw bigger audiences, so something similar could be in store.

NASCAR created a playoff system in 2004 by calling the final 10 races of the season the "Chase for the Championship," with only the top 12 drivers eligible to win the season title.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

anthonyvop
17th April 2010, 01:18
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/2010-04-16-2090429666_x.htm

LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) — The Indy Racing League could be in for some "major" changes.

New CEO Randy Bernard said Friday the IRL will make an announcement in the next two weeks about adding excitement to races outside of the Indianapolis 500.

Speaking at the Grand Prix of Long Beach, Bernard hinted the open-wheel circuit will do something to put emphasis on a handful of events to gain more national attention. He mentioned the NFL playoffs and golf's majors as events that draw bigger audiences, so something similar could be in store.

NASCAR created a playoff system in 2004 by calling the final 10 races of the season the "Chase for the Championship," with only the top 12 drivers eligible to win the season title.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Wow!

Where did i hear that idea before?????

Mark in Oshawa
17th April 2010, 14:39
Well, he is looking at all of this from the outside. Of course, if you are up in Edmonton, or running the race at Kansas, you are thinking, great, so When they promote Indy, Long Beach and say Toronto, what am I?

IT is a dangerous concept in many ways.

Do I like it? Not now...but they are welcome to try to show me how this can work. I am not liking it right now. Great races on the sched are ones with history and haven't changed for years, like Indy of course, and Long Beach. Texas would qualify because of the large crowd it draws (thank you, Eddie Gossage!). You shouldn't have to elevate them.

That said, at least Bernard is thinking all the time.

MDS
17th April 2010, 16:01
A fall 400 mile race at the speedway would help... as would 500 mile races at Michigan and California.

I don't think the way to go is to create some sort of artificial drama, but to work with what you have while adding more iconic events. I'm a fan of street races, but I honestly think they've taken the schedule as far as they can go. Adding Baltimore sounds like a good idea to me, and possibly China as well, but what looks best on TV is pack racing like we should have at Michigan and California.

Also a street race in NYC would be big too, but yeah, hopefully the sport is healthy enough to return to the big ovals, and with new management and the possibility of California losing a date maybe time is right to return.

UltimateDanGTR
17th April 2010, 18:46
yeah, California speedway and Michigan speedway 400 or 500 mile races would be great, not to mention very turn of the millenium champ car-esque (which is good)

I'd suggest the final race being the 'Grand Finale at __________' that could get a bit of attention too.

SUBARUTEAM
17th April 2010, 19:43
have a tripple crown type scaniro where they pay money to the winner of 3 marquee events? or a financially viable post season trip to the gold coast or europe?

at least this guy is prepared to think outside the box and create healthy debate.

its all good i say!!

Chris R
17th April 2010, 20:21
Somewhere at IMS you can hear a pin drop..... I suspect "the family" are not going to be happy about this - it has always been all about the Indy 500.... IIRC the fact that USAC put some much attention on the 500 to the detriment of everything else is one of the reasons CART was started in the first place and one of the big reason there was always so much tension between CART and IMS.....

That being said, it is an awesome idea - just PLEEEAAASSSSEEE no more STUPID "playoff" systems. I like the idea of a triple crown of 500 mile races - only problem is you need two more big and flat tracks which do not exist anymore...

At least the guy is thinking!!

nigelred5
17th April 2010, 21:21
I do agree that putting so much emphasis on three races does gove the promoters outside of those races reason to take pause and have teh what about me attitude. Personally, I think the big three already are Indy, Long Beach and Texas Motor Speedway. They ae already well promoted. It's the other 15 that need to be emphasized so they ARE a big deal to everyone. The problem is right now, they aren't even a big deal to the local market, let alone nationally or internationally.

If it's going to be ovals, I'd like to see Indy, California, Michigan, Pocono or TWS. No 1.5 milers in a triple crown. TMS is ok as far as the 1.5 miler's go, but I'm not a fan of the nascar version of Indycar racing. It's got to be big track- high speed. I'd love to see a return of the sleek car, 230 mph+ days.

JasonD
17th April 2010, 21:47
How is naming the last race of the season "Grand Finale" going to get butts in seats and increase exposure?

How is paying a big $$$ prize to the top finisher across 3 races going to attact attention?

UltimateDanGTR
17th April 2010, 22:05
How is naming the last race of the season "Grand Finale" going to get butts in seats and increase exposure?

How is paying a big $$$ prize to the top finisher across 3 races going to attact attention?

that's not for fans to answer. that's for marketing people. and I don't claim to be one of them. My ideas were just that, ideas.

NaBUru38
19th April 2010, 03:45
What should "major race" mean? To me, 10 points for the pole and 100-70-55-45-35 for the top 5 finishers. Big purses will have to wait a little.

Indianapolis and Long Beach are obviously the two major oval and non-oval races. Which are next? Since they are a superspeedway and a street course, I'd pick one cookie-cutter, one short oval and one road course. Since one is held at the Memorial Day, I'd pick the Independence Day race and the Labor Day race too. I'd pick the grand finale. Texas deserves it too.

The problems are:
o- All but three of them are held within six weeks, from May 24 to July 8: Indianapolis, Texas, Iowa (or Milwaukee, or New Hampshire if it loses the June Nascar Cup race) and Watkins Glen.
o- Three are cookie-cutters: Texas, Kentucky (Labor Day) and Homestead (grand finale)
o- They are 7 races out of 17. 7 is a big number. And it's only about six weeks from Long Beach to Indianapolis, five to Watkins Glen, eight to Kentucky and four to Homestead.

BobbyC
19th April 2010, 12:54
If I'm the IRL, I'd look at adding a race in Florence to join the Camping World Trucks on the new Darlington fall weekend. There's a Honda ATV factory that's just 20 kilometres down the road (Honda even paid for an interchange on Interstate 95 to the Florence factory, Exit 154). The only thing they'd need is a compatibility test to see how they'd handle the meanest oval in motorsport, and one that Honda admitted was the inspiration of Motegi's shape. The drivers could visit the plant, and procedure would be qualifying on Friday, rest on Saturday on the beach, fan events on the beach, then the Truck race on Saturday night, then the Sunday afternoon IRL 500-mile affair.

Go back to a Grand Slam. NASCAR lost its Grand Slam in the Ferko lawsuit. The IRL should do what NASCAR did very well but lost when Ferko killed it.

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2010, 18:57
If I'm the IRL, I'd look at adding a race in Florence to join the Camping World Trucks on the new Darlington fall weekend. There's a Honda ATV factory that's just 20 kilometres down the road (Honda even paid for an interchange on Interstate 95 to the Florence factory, Exit 154). The only thing they'd need is a compatibility test to see how they'd handle the meanest oval in motorsport, and one that Honda admitted was the inspiration of Motegi's shape. The drivers could visit the plant, and procedure would be qualifying on Friday, rest on Saturday on the beach, fan events on the beach, then the Truck race on Saturday night, then the Sunday afternoon IRL 500-mile affair.

Go back to a Grand Slam. NASCAR lost its Grand Slam in the Ferko lawsuit. The IRL should do what NASCAR did very well but lost when Ferko killed it.

The IRL in the heart of NASCAR? OH my....if that failed, there would be a serious issue. I don't know if you could run and pass on Darlington in an Indycar. Stockcars spend a lot of time hitting each other there, but you would see some scary speeds at Darlington.....

Great way of thinking, but I don't think it would be a really good race, but a scary one. That place is a true one groove track.

SUBARUTEAM
19th April 2010, 22:40
at least he is thinking outside the box. its been a dam good start to the season so far!!

elis
19th April 2010, 22:55
Cool, but shouldn't every race be promoted as something special already.. I mean for example only, Formula 1's jewel in the crown is Monaco.. sure its glitzy, but it doesn't really garner much more publicity than other events & it certainly isn't the be all & end all.

Indy Car has relied pretty much soley on the 500 to garner public interest in the series as a whole, & has by & large failed.

F1's jewel race is Monte Carlo, but the promotion & what not that it gets is really no more than any other race on the schedule. F1 is about more than just 1 race. Indy car needs to open up the old school 'only the 500 counts mentality. If Randy can do that, then major kudos.. but he has a tough road ahead. imo

Spiderman
20th April 2010, 09:22
Cool, but shouldn't every race be promoted as something special already.. I mean for example only, Formula 1's jewel in the crown is Monaco.. sure its glitzy, but it doesn't really garner much more publicity than other events & it certainly isn't the be all & end all.

Indy Car has relied pretty much soley on the 500 to garner public interest in the series as a whole, & has by & large failed.

F1's jewel race is Monte Carlo, but the promotion & what not that it gets is really no more than any other race on the schedule. F1 is about more than just 1 race. Indy car needs to open up the old school 'only the 500 counts mentality. If Randy can do that, then major kudos.. but he has a tough road ahead. imo
If they have play offs, they have to change the schedule dramatically. Because of the nature of the IRL as a championship with different kinds of tracks, a play of series must race road-, street- and oval circuits. Crowning the champion only on oval would make no sense.

Maybe the should change the format of the 1.5-mile-oval-races. Because its very easy to pass and the the early laps are usually a waiting game, you can make 2 short races. After race one, you reverse the order so the winner from race one will start last and have a very exciting second race with many passes. Give half points to each of the races and i believe it would be very exciting.

Mark in Oshawa
20th April 2010, 18:42

Well for the last 15 years, it was run as if the 500 was the reason the others could exist. How much rope Bernard gets from the Sisters and Mari Hulman on this one will tell us MUCH about the future wont it? They reign him in, you might as well dig the hole for this series...

Placid
24th April 2010, 18:01
I like to see the IMS road course added so they can make an IMS braggin' rights trophy.

Alexamateo
24th April 2010, 20:19
I would not do a playoff chase a la Nascar, but I might do something similar to the Tour de France. They have the King of the Mountains, award, the top sprinter award etc.

Indycar racing could have the King of the Road/Streets, King of the Ovals, a Canadian Cup mini-tour for the top performance in the Canadian races, and they could select 3 races as a Triple Crown, and promote it accordingly.

Chamoo
24th April 2010, 21:02
Curt Cavin already said it won't be a playoff type system. He says everyone is overthinking this whole thing, it will be big, but not game changing.

Mark in Oshawa
25th April 2010, 03:48
I would not do a playoff chase a la Nascar, but I might do something similar to the Tour de France. They have the King of the Mountains, award, the top sprinter award etc.

Indycar racing could have the King of the Road/Streets, King of the Ovals, a Canadian Cup mini-tour for the top performance in the Canadian races, and they could select 3 races as a Triple Crown, and promote it accordingly.

I like that, but if you don't give extra points for being the king of the ovals or the king of the road/street's...then it isn't meaning much, and if there isn't serious money on the line for that title, the teams may not care about it. They give out a trophy I think still for the best points totals from the Canadian races....but really, no extra points or cash on the line means it really means very little.

Alexamateo
25th April 2010, 16:50
I like that, but if you don't give extra points for being the king of the ovals or the king of the road/street's...then it isn't meaning much, and if there isn't serious money on the line for that title, the teams may not care about it. They give out a trophy I think still for the best points totals from the Canadian races....but really, no extra points or cash on the line means it really means very little.

Well, the devil's always in the details isn't it? :D

The idea would be of course to sell sponsorship and build interest (and a nice bonus payout) around certain groups of races. Bonus points could be a part of that of course but not a complete necessity. A Canadian Cup is probably the easiest sell although it would be nice to pick up another Canadian race so there are at least 3.

I think Tony George was always a little blind in this aspect, not wanting any other 500 mile races, not having any tracks faster than Indy. (I mean, did you care that Texas World Speedway was faster than Indy back in the day?) He failed to see that helping others rise in stature would help him even more.

One thing about Benard is that he's a promoter and that's exactly what this series needs right now, to create "events" that you just have to be at.

Mark in Oshawa
25th April 2010, 17:32
Well, the devil's always in the details isn't it? :D

The idea would be of course to sell sponsorship and build interest (and a nice bonus payout) around certain groups of races. Bonus points could be a part of that of course but not a complete necessity. A Canadian Cup is probably the easiest sell although it would be nice to pick up another Canadian race so there are at least 3.

I think Tony George was always a little blind in this aspect, not wanting any other 500 mile races, not having any tracks faster than Indy. (I mean, did you care that Texas World Speedway was faster than Indy back in the day?) He failed to see that helping others rise in stature would help him even more.

One thing about Benard is that he's a promoter and that's exactly what this series needs right now, to create "events" that you just have to be at.

It is in the details. Or rather in the lack of checks to pay for the extra incentive in terms of bonus money.

As for Tony being a little blind, he was a lot blind to a lot of things. He wanted an all oval series, and then got bent out of shape that the cars went faster at Texas. I guess he really doesn't know racing at all then....

Bernard is a promoter, and I want to see him be rational in how he approaches this stuff. He cant make mistakes on a large scale, and he has to at least understand the traditional race fan and what we are used to. He may not always have to follow what we want, but he should respect our thoughts in his ideas. It is a tough game to play. So far, I like what he is doing....for the most part. This more points for qualifying at Indy is a dopey idea I think.....but maybe the teams will like it. I don't know...