PDA

View Full Version : Buemi Toro Rosso Crash-Scary Stuff

Mysterious Rock
16th April 2010, 11:33
I am absolutely stunned at what happened to his car and the wheels getting ripped off in the blink of an eye, what a scary thought and the wheel making its way into the crowd, will try and find a video

Surely the point is that because no testing then these things happen in public arenas

Mysterious Rock
16th April 2010, 11:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaQwWG0yBZM

German News covergae, but unbelievable, the camera man lets go to hide!

maximilian
16th April 2010, 14:50
Definitely the ultimate OH SH|T!!! moment!! :eek:

Langdale Forest
16th April 2010, 15:03
Definitely the ultimate OH SH|T!!! moment!! :eek:

exactley! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Imagine if that had happend during the race?

maximilian
16th April 2010, 16:28
Despite the severity of the incident, it's kinda funny how he still tries to STEER the car before crashing into the barrier, even though there aren't any WHEELS on it! :D

Easy Drifter
16th April 2010, 16:48
Apparently a new lighter upright. A tech too light!
In this case I do not think the testing ban can be blamed. It is unlikely given the location of the first 4 races and distance back to Europe there would have been a chance to test them. Also if they are only lighter with no other mods they might not have been tested anyway.
Actually it is lucky it happened in a area with as much run off and no spectators.
But somebody got the computerized stress test wrong or there was a manufacturing flaw.

Rallyper
16th April 2010, 21:20
Apparently a new lighter upright. A tech too light!
In this case I do not think the testing ban can be blamed. It is unlikely given the location of the first 4 races and distance back to Europe there would have been a chance to test them. Also if they are only lighter with no other mods they might not have been tested anyway.
Actually it is lucky it happened in a area with as much run off and no spectators.
But somebody got the computerized stress test wrong or there was a manufacturing flaw.
The uprights were manufactured in Far away Longistan by cost reasons. :D

DazzlaF1
16th April 2010, 21:59
I got up early to watch FP1 and when he went off, I thought, wow, he must have had a big one...

...and then I see the replay, and my first reaction was HOLY F**K, I have never seen anything like that before, yes the odd wheel breaking off (e.g. Raikkonen @ Nurburgring 2005) but never BOTH front wheels at exactly the same time, a very scary looking accident.

I would'nt be suprised if the FIA were considering withdrawing both Toro Rosso cars after that, it would be a bit OTT but they have done it before.

Wasted Talent
16th April 2010, 22:34
I am absolutely stunned at what happened to his car and the wheels getting ripped off in the blink of an eye, what a scary thought and the wheel making its way into the crowd, will try and find a video

Surely the point is that because no testing then these things happen in public arenas

...and people disagreed when I said that Renault were wrong to not stop Alonso in Hungary last year when they KNEW that a wheel was not securely located......

WT

Mark in Oshawa
16th April 2010, 22:47
That is the wildest thing I have seen in some time in any form of racing.

I wouldn't let a Toro Rosso back out until a full investigation is done on why it happened.

ioan
16th April 2010, 23:26
I would'nt be suprised if the FIA were considering withdrawing both Toro Rosso cars after that, it would be a bit OTT but they have done it before.

They won't, simply because STR will use the previous upright design again tomorrow and in the race.

BDunnell
17th April 2010, 00:37
They won't, simply because STR will use the previous upright design again tomorrow and in the race.

What a surprise — your concern for safety in F1 suddenly seems rather more, shall we say, casual than it did after a certain incident one day last August. Funny that.

Easy Drifter
17th April 2010, 03:15
Sorry and this may shock some but I am agreeing with ioan.
Toro Rosso has had no problem with the earlier uprights which they will now use.
If they were to revert to the upright design that failed that would be another matter.
It may be some time before they can determine why there was a failure.
As I posted in another thread I have my thoughts but we will have to wait to find out.

Dave B
17th April 2010, 06:40
What a surprise — your concern for safety in F1 suddenly seems rather more, shall we say, casual than it did after a certain incident one day last August. Funny that.
It's not really that much of a surprise considering he thought deliberately crashing (a la Piquet) was acceptable.

Flip flop, Clarice...

PSfan
17th April 2010, 22:38

What a surprise, someone deliberately taking one of ioan's post out of context to take a jab at him... and looking very foolish in the process...

Was there anything in ioan's post you disagreed with? perhaps that would have been better to comment on then some vague reference to something he posted 8 months ago? And by the way, posting what the FIA are likely to do is a far cry from expressing an opinion on the subject. So to suggest ioan is being hypocritical is rather far fetched and speaks volumes about you, more then ioan.

And for the record, I also agree with ioan's post, the most that would have come from it would have been the stewards questioning Toro Rosso regarding their cars safety with the questionable part, and Toro reverting back to the previous version until the new part is better tested, or at least reserved for a smoother track.

BDunnell
17th April 2010, 23:09
What a surprise, someone deliberately taking one of ioan's post out of context to take a jab at him... and looking very foolish in the process...

Was there anything in ioan's post you disagreed with? perhaps that would have been better to comment on then some vague reference to something he posted 8 months ago? And by the way, posting what the FIA are likely to do is a far cry from expressing an opinion on the subject. So to suggest ioan is being hypocritical is rather far fetched and speaks volumes about you, more then ioan.

And for the record, I also agree with ioan's post, the most that would have come from it would have been the stewards questioning Toro Rosso regarding their cars safety with the questionable part, and Toro reverting back to the previous version until the new part is better tested, or at least reserved for a smoother track.

You're quite right, I don't disagree with his view on the subject at all, but I certainly don't agree that it was an irrelevant or foolish point to make. After Massa's crash, he was coming out with a load of views about safety which I considered to be (a) absurd and (b) motivated by nothing more than the fact that his favoured Ferrari driver of the time was the unfortunate victim. Now, a potentially serious incident occurs, and it comes as no surprise to me that his alleged concern for safety has somehow dissipated. Had this happened to Massa in a Ferrari, I am certain — though he would of course deny this for all he's worth — that he would have been up in arms. A bit of consistency wouldn't go amiss.

ioan
18th April 2010, 01:08

Thanks for stepping up while I was unaware of Ben's above post.
I couldn't have explained it any better.

ioan
18th April 2010, 01:12
You're quite right, I don't disagree with his view on the subject at all, but I certainly don't agree that it was an irrelevant or foolish point to make. After Massa's crash, he was coming out with a load of views about safety which I considered to be (a) absurd and (b) motivated by nothing more than the fact that his favoured Ferrari driver of the time was the unfortunate victim. Now, a potentially serious incident occurs, and it comes as no surprise to me that his alleged concern for safety has somehow dissipated. Had this happened to Massa in a Ferrari, I am certain — though he would of course deny this for all he's worth — that he would have been up in arms. A bit of consistency wouldn't go amiss.

Ben, the previous version of the uprights are proved parts with no design flaw whatsoever. I fail to see why there are any safety questions being raised about parts that were raced safely for 3 races already.

If STR would have said that the failed parts were a flawless design and would use them in the race this week end I would be the first to complain about their attitude.

BDunnell
18th April 2010, 01:15
Ben, the previous version of the uprights are proved parts with no design flaw whatsoever. I fail to see why there are any safety questions being raised about parts that were raced safely for 3 races already.

If STR would have said that the failed parts were a flawless design and would use them in the race this week end I would be the first to complain about their attitude.

I agree, but the fact remains that you have a track record of not being entirely consistent in your views depending upon which driver/team happens to be involved in a particular situation.

ioan
18th April 2010, 01:17
I agree, but the fact remains that you have a track record of not being entirely consistent in your views depending upon which driver/team happens to be involved in a particular situation.

Well that's strange given that I dislike STR and RedBull, Vettel aside, after their position with regards to MS testing the F60 last season.

BDunnell
18th April 2010, 01:20
Well that's strange given that I dislike STR and RedBull, Vettel aside, after their position with regards to MS testing the F60 last season.

That doesn't alter my view one bit. Personally I am also suspicious of the views of anyone who professes to dislike a particular team or driver.

PSfan
18th April 2010, 01:23

But that is completely irrelevant to the thread/subject...

Do you intend to derail every thread ioan posts in to point out he is sometimes inconsistent in his opinions?

ioan
18th April 2010, 01:58

Do you intend to derail every thread ioan posts in to point out he is sometimes inconsistent in his opinions?

At least he is consistent in his approach! ;)

BDunnell
18th April 2010, 11:10

Given that this inconsistency is on display so often, I don't feel it's unjustified.

ioan
18th April 2010, 14:47
Given that this inconsistency is on display so often, I don't feel it's unjustified.

Sorry for not being consistent with your opinion about whatever you think that it's wrong with STR using the reliable and proved uprights they used previously, it's called having a different opinion.

markabilly
18th April 2010, 15:13
well, i am stiill wondering why the double failure at the same moment.

Was it something to do with the tether system? Or debris from one failure immediately cause the other?

Or was it such a precise (mis)engineering of such a nature as to be a precise failure, so they both crunched at the same time?

The slow motion makes it appear to be a failure of both at the precise micro-second, so??

ioan
18th April 2010, 18:34
well, i am stiill wondering why the double failure at the same moment.

Because as soon as one of the uprights failed under the huge braking forces the other one was subjected to double that and failed immediately as a consequence. It is that simple.

markabilly
18th April 2010, 21:12
Because as soon as one of the uprights failed under the huge braking forces the other one was subjected to double that and failed immediately as a consequence. It is that simple.

Then that would be real marginal engineering

I thought all good engineers always allowed for a safety margin of 2 or 3 times the reasonably possible load, and would allow for the failure of one....so I guess it "was it such a precise (mis)engineering of such a nature as to be a precise failure" of both

Some needs to check their calculations....reminds me of the good old days of lotus in the sixties

harsha
19th April 2010, 06:19
whole new meaning to "redbull gives you wings" :D

jokes aside , lucky that this didn't happen in the race....