PDA

View Full Version : It's tough oooop North!

Hazell B
1st March 2007, 23:33
When a suicidal man took too long about his leap from a multi-storey carpark near Doncaster, onlookers shoved the police aside and shouted "Get on with it!" yesterday, according to the TV news.

The police, it seems, weren't seeing the funny side of Northern humour and have publicly said locals "weren't helping us" :laugh: They talked the man down unharmed.

Yes, I know suicide is a dreadful thing, but I almost cried laughing listening to it on the news. Only in Doncaster ...... :mark:

Drew
2nd March 2007, 01:30
Apparently there is a person here in Bangor who threatens to jump off the Menai Bridge. Apparently the police round here just tell them to get on with it...

Bloody timewasters

maxu05
2nd March 2007, 01:51
Attention seekers obviously :laugh:

Caroline
2nd March 2007, 08:14
Apparently there is a person here in Bangor who threatens to jump off the Menai Bridge. Apparently the police round here just tell them to get on with it...

Bloody timewasters

Because of the tides bodies tend to wash up on the shore by the Normal Campus. Lovely.

At least they have picked a picturesque location, not a seventies concrete car park.

fly_ac
2nd March 2007, 08:22
A man went to the library looking for a book on "how to commit suicide".
He asked the librarian if she know where in the library he can find a book of that sort.
She replied, "No way, you people never return the books!"

:D

Dave B
2nd March 2007, 09:59
It's not just in t'north, a couple of years ago I drove past a woman on the Rochester M2 Medway bridge who was clutching to the edge while police tried to talk her out of it.

You'd be amazed how many cries of "JUMP" you could hear from passing cars :eek:

EuroTroll
2nd March 2007, 11:24
I see your reputation for dry humour is not unjustified. :)

Storm
2nd March 2007, 13:13
fly_ac :laugh:

Funks
2nd March 2007, 13:19
It's not just in t'north, a couple of years ago I drove past a woman on the Rochester M2 Medway bridge who was clutching to the edge while police tried to talk her out of it.

You'd be amazed how many cries of "JUMP" you could hear from passing cars :eek:

Yes, but they were shouting at the Police.

Loobylou
2nd March 2007, 13:45
I hope those onlookers live long healthy, happy lives. That they never suffer from depression, find themselves facing a terminal illness, never face the future having outlived their partner or children...

Then there's the little matter of being able to sleep at night if that man goes on to sucessfully make an attempt on his life in the future.

sal
2nd March 2007, 14:05
The guy would have succeeded in his bid if it had been a car park in Harrogate, the charges there are worth jumping to avoid...should have driven 40 miles North..

LotusElise
2nd March 2007, 16:13
I hope those onlookers live long healthy, happy lives. That they never suffer from depression, find themselves facing a terminal illness, never face the future having outlived their partner or children...

Then there's the little matter of being able to sleep at night if that man goes on to sucessfully make an attempt on his life in the future.

A good and valid point.

Ian McC
3rd March 2007, 10:38
There is a railway bridge in Broxbourne that seems to be popular for that kind of thing :s

Drew
3rd March 2007, 14:43

The majority of the people that do this aren't depressed, instead just attention seekers and timewasters...

Eki
3rd March 2007, 15:38
The majority of the people that do this aren't depressed, instead just attention seekers and timewasters...
But the minority is, and it's difficult to tell apart the depressed until they jump.

Hazell B
3rd March 2007, 16:45
In this case the guy made a fuss about being there, so a crowd would not only form but have chance to get bored. I think that makes it fairly clear he was seeking attention. That and the fact he hadn't chosen anything high enough to ensure death .......

BeansBeansBeans
3rd March 2007, 18:30

I'd agree that the majority have no intention of jumping, but it isn't because they're not depressed or want to waste time. In most instances it's a very public cry for help.

EuroTroll
3rd March 2007, 18:56
I'd agree that the majority have no intention of jumping...

Does this situation actually occur often in Britain? I mean, you actually have an opinion on the intentions of the majority of jumpers... :erm:

I ask this because I just realized that I don't remember such a situation ever happening in the places I've lived. In our parts, suicidal people tend to go into the woods and hang themselves. :s Or shoot themselves. :( I've heard of people drowning themselves. But no jumping.

LotusElise
3rd March 2007, 20:51
I've never seen anyone do it.
Someone did go and hang themselves in the woods close to my parents' house recently, though. One of their friends saw while he was walking his dog.

LeonBrooke
4th March 2007, 05:40

Oh, how do you know that, eh? Have you been inside the head of every one of them?

Never ever say that. There is no such thing as a time-waster or an attention-seeker. As BeansBeansBeans said, it's a cry for help.

I'll end this now before I start getting really angry.

Hazell B
4th March 2007, 16:15
No offence Leon, but don't get angry if you read on ....

One of my ex-friends has a daughter who has tried some utterly stupid methods of gaining attention without once risking actual harm to herself. She's 100% looking for extra presents, etc on every occasion. Genuinely, she's tried stabbing herself when she was told her mum couldn't afford £120 for her to have a perm. Stabbing herself with a spoon, taken from a drawer right next to knives and forks :rolleyes:
When she got a little older and started to try the same schemes with boyfriends and was laughed at, she soon learned it's not exactly socially good behavoiur and stopped being so pathetic.
The attention seeker does exist, but only when they are 'fed' by friends or relatives.

LeonBrooke
4th March 2007, 19:55
No offence Leon, but don't get angry if you read on ....

One of my ex-friends has a daughter who has tried some utterly stupid methods of gaining attention without once risking actual harm to herself. She's 100% looking for extra presents, etc on every occasion. Genuinely, she's tried stabbing herself when she was told her mum couldn't afford £120 for her to have a perm. Stabbing herself with a spoon, taken from a drawer right next to knives and forks :rolleyes:
When she got a little older and started to try the same schemes with boyfriends and was laughed at, she soon learned it's not exactly socially good behavoiur and stopped being so pathetic.
The attention seeker does exist, but only when they are 'fed' by friends or relatives.

First of all sorry for getting angry, but some people clearly don't know anything about the topic of depression and suicide and so should keep their mouths shut. Not you, Hazell...

My point was, you can never know what someone else is feeling, you can never know what someone is going to do, and they can always surprise you.

You can never assume that someone is attention-seeking, just as you can't assume that they're not going to do anything if they never talk about it. Just because they haven't made any genuine attempts doesn't mean that they won't succeed in future.

Drew
5th March 2007, 11:25
Oh, how do you know that, eh? Have you been inside the head of every one of them?

Never ever say that. There is no such thing as a time-waster or an attention-seeker. As BeansBeansBeans said, it's a cry for help.

I'll end this now before I start getting really angry.

Anybody who is genuinly suicidal will jump or will try and get help without so much attention seeking.

Unfortunetly here (sometimes, not all the time) it's a way of blackmailing people. For example, the girl that lives next to me has allegedly tried to commit suicide twice. The first time was to try and get a girl to pay a deposit for a house (it didn't work) and the second time last week was to get her boyfriend back with her (it did work)

LotusElise
5th March 2007, 11:52
Although I've never seen anyone trying to jump off a bridge, I did have a housemate who slit her wrists once, badly.
I don't know how much she intended to harm herself, but they were bad cuts which bled a shocking amount. I do believe that attention-seeking was part of it, but it was also true that she was battling with various psychological problems at the time, not helped by a certain family member who condoned her drug-taking and supported her in not seeing her psychiatrist.
If you pardon the pun, it's something that is never clear-cut. Nobody can afford to discount an apparent suicide attempt - you never know.

LeonBrooke
5th March 2007, 18:50
Nobody can afford to discount an apparent suicide attempt - you never know.

Exactly my point Lotus, thanks :)

You never know what someone else is thinking or feeling.

And never use the term "attention-seeking". I prefer "help-seeking".

Malbec
6th March 2007, 03:58
As someone who used to see a lot of self harmers in the past, there are two groups of suiciders.

One group make a big fuss about it all, taking a carefully calculated OD that won't affect their organic function or stand on the side of a bridge so people notice they're there. One question I have to ask about the person in question is, why did they have to wait long enough for the police to turn up?

The other group just quietly gets on with it, and they tend to be middle class middle aged males. They aren't found out until their bodies are found.

The former are pathetic attention seekers, the latter truely deserve every effort to try and help them.

oily oaf
6th March 2007, 07:26
But the minority is, and it's difficult to tell apart the depressed until they jump.

Quite right!
The genuine ones always pack a generous wad of TNT in their boots just to be on the safe side.

Personally some of these attention whores that merely go through the motions of self destruction make me sick to the very pit of my taut, finely honed, six pack stomach :mad:

During the course of this past football season I myself have successfully committed suicide on no less then 7 occasions, each time with the minimum of fuss and inconvenience to the emergency services :)

Apart from the wholly conventional, tiresome methods of shooting, hanging, poisoning etc, I have deployed a few rather more flamboyant methods for bringing about my own demise, including walking into a Millwall boozer with my West Ham shirt on and shouting "Up The Hammers and down with people with an extra toe that live predominantly in caravans" and also on one particularly memorable albeit painful occasion I went out for an evening meal with Hotbkerchic before successfully flushing myself down the gentleman's toilet during the soup course.

Some come on you clinically depressed folk. Use a little flair and imagination and help to brighten up our lives even though yours is firmly ensconced in the chodbin.
Blimey it won't kill ya :mad:

Drew
6th March 2007, 12:59
Exactly my point Lotus, thanks :)

You never know what someone else is thinking or feeling.

And never use the term "attention-seeking". I prefer "help-seeking".

Well, of course every case is different. In my case (well, that of the girl next door) she used it to get her boyfriend back. It's quite common, it happened quite a bit in my school too. A few even went as far as trying, before, of course, ringing the police or the paramedics

LeonBrooke
7th March 2007, 01:59
As someone who used to see a lot of self harmers in the past, there are two groups of suiciders.

One group make a big fuss about it all, taking a carefully calculated OD that won't affect their organic function or stand on the side of a bridge so people notice they're there. One question I have to ask about the person in question is, why did they have to wait long enough for the police to turn up?

The other group just quietly gets on with it, and they tend to be middle class middle aged males. They aren't found out until their bodies are found.

The former are pathetic attention seekers, the latter truely deserve every effort to try and help them.

The former are help-seekers who still deserve and need help. They may not intend to kill themselves but they still are depressed and need help.

Well, of course every case is different. In my case (well, that of the girl next door) she used it to get her boyfriend back. It's quite common, it happened quite a bit in my school too. A few even went as far as trying, before, of course, ringing the police or the paramedics

Not everyone who attempts suicide really want to complete it, but that doesn't mean they're time-wasters. They're help-seekers, but don't know how to ask for help. Of course there may be manipulative exceptions like the woman you know, but the only sensible course of action is to take everyone and everything seriously.

imull
7th March 2007, 09:54
was sailing on the Forth once when someone jumped. thy hit the concrete foot and it wasnt a nice sight. fair to say their attempt was sucessful though.

couldn't eat baked beans for awhile afer that :(