PDA

View Full Version : The Hangover

Brown, Jon Brow
14th April 2010, 11:49
Why do I never learn from them?

I feel like I have a small creature in my gut who wants to get out. Does anyone know of any cures?

ShiftingGears
14th April 2010, 11:50
I always revert to going back to sleep, when it's an option.

Rudy Tamasz
14th April 2010, 12:12
Drink a lot of liquid (coke and/or mineral water), eat spicy food, have a sleep. If it's way too bad, have an alcoholic drink to cure the worst symptoms. Warning: not stopping at one may do nasty things too you!

A lot depends on how old are you. If you are really young, you'll be okay by the evening. If you are over 30, it's not gonna go away that easily.

EuroTroll
14th April 2010, 12:42
I'd recommend liquids and sleep as well. Drink a load, go back to sleep, drink, sleep etc. Milk is good! And carbon tablets if you have them.

MrJan
14th April 2010, 12:46
Going to watch football is usually a good one for me, especially if we win. When we play Leeds earlier in the year I was still feeling drunk when I woke up at around 11am and felt really rough when I left at 2. By 15:04 Exeter went 1 up and any thoughts about how rough I felt had completely gone.

*Disclaimer: This cure may only work on Saturday afternoons.

Brown, Jon Brow
14th April 2010, 12:48
I'm not so sure where this one came from. I didn't drink much more than I usually can handle. Maybe it's a sign that I'm getting old :eek:

slorydn1
14th April 2010, 12:52
1000 cc's of IV normal saline and two Tylenol's outta clear it right up.....

Mark
14th April 2010, 13:04
I find luke warm tea to be the best thing. Sip it slowly and just keep drinking it! Best way to get you rehydrated as water can make you sick but tea will stay down!

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 13:23
Jon...it is your body telling you it doesn't like paying for your fun...lol...

It is the reason I quit drinking any more than two pints at a go....

Rudy Tamasz
14th April 2010, 14:21
Jon...it is your body telling you it doesn't like paying for your fun...lol...

It is the reason I quit drinking any more than two pints at a go....

The older you grow, the worse it gets. At 36 I can hold my alcohol in pretty large doses and even behave reasonably (not literally reasonably, but you know what I mean ;) ), but my hangovers are nightmares. Three pints are about as much as I can have without paying the price the next morning.

Easy Drifter
14th April 2010, 15:47
Have another drink and stay permanently sloshed. Doesn't give a hangover a chance to get started.
Disadvantages are you don't dare drive and will probably lose your wife/girlfriend and job pretty quickly. :p : :D

Bob Riebe
14th April 2010, 16:00
I no longer have hang-overs but the method I used to get rid of them was a mega-doze of vitamin C, one or two aspirin and a acetaminophen before going to sleep.
It did the trick, though I did find that not mixing beer and hard sruff helped.
In my hay-days I drank four to six four ounce glasses, not shots, of tequila a night, two to four days a week. (It helps to tip a bartender well and use the same one as often as possible)
When I separated beer nights from tequila nights, even if I forgot my vitamin C no hang-over.

Garry Walker
14th April 2010, 16:26
Did you also have one of those mornings when when you woke up, the first thing you said was "f*ck, I am never drinking again"?

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 18:46
The older you grow, the worse it gets. At 36 I can hold my alcohol in pretty large doses and even behave reasonably (not literally reasonably, but you know what I mean ;) ), but my hangovers are nightmares. Three pints are about as much as I can have without paying the price the next morning.

Oh I could drink about 8 or 9 before I was risking pain and agony, I just learned that the novelty of being drunk isn't really that big a deal. I enjoy a little "social lubrication" in the form of a pint of beer while shooting the breeze with the boys, or hanging out at a pub. Usually I eat a meal with my drinking tho, and THAT helps a lot.

Bread on the stomach as you drink will also help hold more as you drink....

tannat
14th April 2010, 19:58
Why do I never learn from them?

I feel like I have a small creature in my gut who wants to get out. Does anyone know of any cures?

Whats your poison, JB?

Beer?

J4MIE
14th April 2010, 20:40
I drink very rarely these days but when I do I make the most of it, long slep and a huge fried breakfast the next morning sorts me out :D

Brown, Jon Brow
14th April 2010, 22:50
Did you also have one of those mornings when when you woke up, the first thing you said was "f*ck, I am never drinking again"?

I got up and felt okay, but by midday I felt dreadful. I collided heads with my mate too. So my head still hurts.

Whats your poison, JB?

Beer?

Bitter, stout, lager and wiskey. Not all in the same glass.

Garry Walker
14th April 2010, 23:30
I got up and felt okay, but by midday I felt dreadful. I collided heads with my mate too. So my head still hurts.
Dare I ask, why were you drinking on a tuesday evening :D ?

Brown, Jon Brow
14th April 2010, 23:40
Dare I ask, why were you drinking on a tuesday evening :D ?

Because I'm a student. :p

Mark
15th April 2010, 08:57
I drink very rarely these days but when I do I make the most of it, long slep and a huge fried breakfast the next morning sorts me out :D

If you can get through the breakfast :( .
Weekend after next I'm not planning to be drinking too much, so please don't be buying me them, even if they do cost more than £4.50 :p

Brown, Jon Brow
7th August 2010, 13:49
Eurgh!!! It has happened again! It feels like a war is going on in my head. I'm not touching alcohol ever again!!!!!

*runs to the bathroom*

harsha
7th August 2010, 14:18
Hangover cure huh - food , spicy foot preferably.....and a lot of liquids

sometimes people have a lil liquor to fight the effects of a hangover...very lil liquor mind

Brown, Jon Brow
7th August 2010, 14:21
I think I might try some ginger to cure my stomach

ShiftingGears
7th August 2010, 14:37
I find ending up in my own house after a big night ideal, so I can sleep it off + have dry toast + hot shower + small amounts of water when I'm up for it.

Drew
8th August 2010, 01:04
I always eat some bread and a glass or two of water before going to sleep, a takeaway is good too. Wake up in the morning, let it all out, have a shower and then i'm feeling good (enough)

I've heard tomato juice is good the morning after.

J4MIE
9th August 2010, 18:13
If applicable, I'd recommend not taking a tube journey first thing the next day, I've found that apart from abrupt starts and stops, there is not much room for people to get out your way :p uke:

MrJan
9th August 2010, 18:15
I spent the whole of Sunday curled up on the sofa after a night of excess. I still didn't feel fantastic this morning :eek:

BDunnell
9th August 2010, 22:17
Paracetamol before bed is an excellent cure for the depressing sort of hangover I find one otherwise gets after about six beers at the age of 31, I find.

Brown, Jon Brow
9th August 2010, 22:21
Paracetamol before bed is an excellent cure for the depressing sort of hangover I find one otherwise gets after about six beers at the age of 31, I find.

I thought that paracetamol was bad for the liver when mixed with alcohol. An energy drink such as Lucozade or Gatorade can help prevent liver damage from alcohol. Apparently.

BDunnell
9th August 2010, 22:23
I thought that paracetamol was bad for the liver when mixed with alcohol. An energy drink such as Lucozade or Gatorade can help prevent liver damage from alcohol. Apparently.

Ah.

gadjo_dilo
10th August 2010, 07:51
Ha! Just when I was about to recommand some of our traditional remedies like sauerkraut juice and pickles in general, sour belly soup, etc. I found this:

In Ireland it was said that the cure for a hangover is to bury the ailing person up to the neck in moist river sand.

J4MIE
10th August 2010, 08:29
Ha! Just when I was about to recommand some of our traditional remedies like sauerkraut juice and pickles in general, sour belly soup, etc. I found this:

In Ireland it was said that the cure for a hangover is to bury the ailing person up to the neck in moist river sand.

There have been times when I would have gladly tried that......

janneppi
10th August 2010, 08:30
I've generally thought that if you're stupid enough to drink yourself silly, you shouldn't use pills to help, but suffer the consequences. ;)

Fortunately it doesn't happen as much these days. :D

Rudy Tamasz
11th August 2010, 07:37

Try having sex instead. Honestly, it works.