PDA

View Full Version : Health & saftey

Langdale Forest
14th April 2010, 07:54
Does anyone think that there is too much of it?

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/blogs/news-extra/article/19/eastenders-stars-banned-from-slapping.html

Anyway, nothing in life is risk free.

Mark
14th April 2010, 09:13
A lot of the concern about Health & Safety comes from over officious employees of the companies concerned, worried they may get sued etc.

However if you read the advise of the Health and Safety Executive, they are much more pragmatic about the issue.

Certainly in terms of the article, I thought it was standard practice if someone gets hit on screen then it's faked and sound effects added in?

Sonic
14th April 2010, 11:54
Elf and safety is generally good common sense. As Mark says most of the time it is over zealous individuals that cause problems that the daily mail love to jump on.

14th April 2010, 12:01
Health & Safety is there to prevent unscrupulous employers jeopardising the health and safety of its employees and the public.

Having said that, anything that stops Daniella Westbrook from being punched in the face is a bad thing.

Not that anyone would be able to tell the difference between pre-punch and post-punch Daniella Westbrook anyway.

BeansBeansBeans
14th April 2010, 12:03
I agree with Mark and Sonic.

H & S is a sensible concept but certain elements of the press highlight (and exaggerate) extreme examples. It's the same with political correctness.

14th April 2010, 12:34
Whats gets me is that most health and safety advisors are tossers of the highest order.

Evidently the Careers Advisor wasn't up to much at your school, since it looks like somebody missed their vocation.

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 13:34
They do go to the well a bit much on this show. I think the script writer has a fetish for women slapping each other.....

Langdale Forest
8th May 2010, 17:58
Whats gets me is that most health and safety advisors are tossers of the highest order.

Totally agree, there are many timewasting people like this.
Common sense is much better to PC-ness and pathetic Health & Saftey regulations.

Caroline
8th May 2010, 23:16
Common sense is much better to PC-ness and pathetic Health & Saftey regulations.

Meanwhile, in the real world, Health and Safety regulations aren't really pathetic. They generally serve a good purpose and make people aware of their responsibilities. It's easy to knock them. I am glad they exist.

BDunnell
9th May 2010, 00:27
A lot of the concern about Health & Safety comes from over officious employees of the companies concerned, worried they may get sued etc.

However if you read the advise of the Health and Safety Executive, they are much more pragmatic about the issue.

Exactly right.

BDunnell
9th May 2010, 00:28

Do offer us a practical example you have encountered, rather than something you've read about in the papers. I generally find that either most people can't, or any example they can provide has nothing to do with H&S.

dunes
9th May 2010, 08:15
I don't know about where you all are from but here its an insurance deal.Every accident no matter how minor cost thier company thousands of dollars poer incident to resupply coverage for thier company to operate each year. Insurance companys are sitting on a gold mine and the goverment is letting them get away with it.

BDunnell
9th May 2010, 10:16
I don't know about where you all are from but here its an insurance deal.Every accident no matter how minor cost thier company thousands of dollars poer incident to resupply coverage for thier company to operate each year. Insurance companys are sitting on a gold mine and the goverment is letting them get away with it.

That's the unfettered free market for you.

dunes
9th May 2010, 17:05
That's the unfettered free market for you.

unfettered - does that have anything to do with us selling ourselfs out so we can sit back and destroy our own economy. If so then I agree.We created a monster and the poloticians and big money companies keep feeding the darned thing, even as it eats thier own children.