PDA

View Full Version : Long race wreaks havoc on Fox broadcast

slorydn1
14th April 2010, 03:06
Good article. I usually don't care what Jenna Fryer has to say, but she hit the nail on the head this time.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CAR_NASCAR_IN_THE_PITS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Now, I didn't get the full effect of this as I DVR'd and watched it later. But a lot of my friends around here were not happy about the longer race and late end, as well as the lack of post race coverage.

MD24
14th April 2010, 03:27
For me most of the time, it's not the lenght of the race but the 60 + minutes of pre race show that I could easily do without.
Can't wait for TNT and ESPN to take over from those rednecks at FOX.

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 05:30
For me most of the time, it's not the lenght of the race but the 60 + minutes of pre race show that I could easily do without.
Can't wait for TNT and ESPN to take over from those rednecks at FOX.

I like TNT....but ESPN in their own way are WORSE than the gang at Fox.

I do know this much, regardless of network, I don't need an hour of prerace. I love some of the stories and all that, but with a two hour pre race on Speed for EVERY race, for Fox to blow an hour more on this prerace stuff is overkill. We can watch NFL football game broadcasts with NO pregame save for 5 minutes, so why are we having a full hour before the flag drops?

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 05:35
Good article. I usually don't care what Jenna Fryer has to say, but she hit the nail on the head this time.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CAR_NASCAR_IN_THE_PITS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Now, I didn't get the full effect of this as I DVR'd and watched it later. But a lot of my friends around here were not happy about the longer race and late end, as well as the lack of post race coverage.

Kyle Busch wasn't available and was adamant he didn't want to go on TV, so there was one story line they wouldn't have followed. I could live with that if they had said he didn't want to be talked to, but Jenna was dead on the money in that 7 minutes of commercials and then a quick talk with Ryan and Jeff Gordon was flat. No one talked to Smoke, who has a win for his buddy Ryan too.....

The difficulties of the TV window, and the politics of how the race was lengthened has to make everyone consider the obligation of the TV broadcasters. They do everyone no favours to dump out of the broadcast seconds after the champagne flies to go to one of their time wasting Saturday night shows. The fact is, you broadcast the race, you finish up the story lines at the end. An extra 5 to 7 minutes would have tied up all the lose ends. I cant get what the networks really are thinking. They pay a ton of money for the broadcast rights and then kneecap the broadcast because the race ran further than they would have liked. Well I never see CBS bailing out of the Masters if it runs into extra holes. THAT is how you treat your partner providing the product.

call_me_andrew
15th April 2010, 03:49
I turn off the TV as soon has half the cars have taken the checkered flag.

I think the longer race was a good idea, but NASCAR needs to think about how to speed up caution periods.

Sparky1329
15th April 2010, 05:54
I could live without the long pre-race show if it meant getting some interviews at the end. SPEED already does a two hour pre-race show that has plenty of story lines for the fans who enjoy them. Get on with the dang racing.

The stupid gopher thing has long outlived getting scratched. It was cute for the first two races he was featured. Now it's just annoying.

MD24
16th April 2010, 22:26
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CAR_NASCAR_FOX_POST_RACE?SITE=GENERIC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2010-04-15-23-24-55

The instant classic
20th April 2010, 23:52
I could live without the long pre-race show if it meant getting some interviews at the end. SPEED already does a two hour pre-race show that has plenty of story lines for the fans who enjoy them. Get on with the dang racing.

The stupid gopher thing has long outlived getting scratched. It was cute for the first two races he was featured. Now it's just annoying.

me to, i hate when the rain is comming and we still have to wait 30 mins to an hour of pre junk

MD24
21st April 2010, 00:17
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=auto&id=5110487&campaign=link&source=JAYSKI

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 00:52
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CAR_NASCAR_FOX_POST_RACE?SITE=GENERIC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2010-04-15-23-24-55

That's nice. THey don't have that right to do that post race coverage. Here is a clue FOX, give us 10 more minutes of post race before you dump to some show that SNL was going to kick the crap out of in the ratings anyhow.

It is dopey. You spend millions on a property and then show it no respect by broadcasting it properly and treating its fan's with respect.

harvick#1
21st April 2010, 01:21
It is dopey. You spend millions on a property and then show it no respect by broadcasting it properly and treating its fan's with respect.

remember Fox isn't the only broadcast team that did this, ABC cut to put Desperate Housewives on :rolleyes:

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 04:33
remember Fox isn't the only broadcast team that did this, ABC cut to put Desperate Housewives on :rolleyes:

Hey compared to Fox, ABC/ESPN are even bigger morons. Anything I have said applies to them as well.