PDA

View Full Version : Kasey Kahne To Hendrick Motorsports

DanicaFan
13th April 2010, 22:09
ESPN is saying that Kasey Kahne will be signing a multi-year agreement with Hendrick Motorsports in 2011. Sources close to the negotiations confirmed it to ESPN.

The details of the deal are being finalized. Many are saying he will take over the #5 car currently driven by Mark Martin. It is also unknown if Budweiser, Kahne's sponsor will follow him.

If this happens it is big. I am also kind of suprised. I figured they were prepping the #5 car for Danica and changing the number to 7.

MD24
13th April 2010, 22:21
ESPN is saying that Kasey Kahne will be signing a multi-year agreement with Hendrick Motorsports in 2011. Sources close to the negotiations confirmed it to ESPN.

The details of the deal are being finalized. Many are saying he will take over the #5 car currently driven by Mark Martin. It is also unknown if Budweiser, Kahne's sponsor will follow him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=5082269

MD24
13th April 2010, 22:26

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=5082269

harvick#1
13th April 2010, 22:32
If this happens it is big. I am also kind of suprised. I figured they were prepping the #5 car for Danica and changing the number to 7.

too bad, Robby Gordon has that number and I'm pretty sure Hendrick or any owner is gonna have to give him one serious deal to give up a number since he owns his own team.

also "The Brand" is not coming to the Sprint Cup Series anytime soon, if you can only get a 30th place finish in the NWS in a car that should be an easy top 10/5 car being a Hendrick car, there is some talent issues

in other aspects, is Mark retiring again then?

MD24
13th April 2010, 23:47
http://www.nascar.com/2010/news/headlines/cup/04/13/kkahne.rpetty.split.2011/index.html

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/04/13/source-kahne-teaming-stewart/

slorydn1
14th April 2010, 00:38
The entire show on Nascar now is about this very issue.

With this not happening til 2012, where's he going to be NEXT year?

The 24 is a life time deal, the 48 is good thru the middle of the decade at least (aind neither Gordon or Johnson are going anywhere, the 5 is tied up thru the end of next year, and.....and....and....uhhhhh......Well Jr isn't getting it done, is he?

Things that make ya go hmmmmmmmmmm....

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 00:59
The entire show on Nascar now is about this very issue.

With this not happening til 2012, where's he going to be NEXT year?

The 24 is a life time deal, the 48 is good thru the middle of the decade at least (aind neither Gordon or Johnson are going anywhere, the 5 is tied up thru the end of next year, and.....and....and....uhhhhh......Well Jr isn't getting it done, is he?

Things that make ya go hmmmmmmmmmm....

This just in. The Mooresville CVS just spotted Junior walking in and buying Maalox by the box.....

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 01:10

You are a tad over optimistic with everything that lady does....

The truth is, I don't even think she is going to cut it in Nationwide. Sorry, she should stay in the IRL if she is serious about being a racer. Since it appears to many she isn't as serious maybe as she should be, she will continue to dabble in NASCAR until people realize she isn't mentally suited for that environment. Understand there is no shame in saying that either, because the sad reality is if you grow up racing in cars with mega downforce, engineering people downloading data to assist with setups and being in a no touch enviroment, NASCAR is a RUDE awakening....

slorydn1
14th April 2010, 01:20
You are a tad over optimistic with everything that lady does....

The truth is, I don't even think she is going to cut it in Nationwide. Sorry, she should stay in the IRL if she is serious about being a racer. Since it appears to many she isn't as serious maybe as she should be, she will continue to dabble in NASCAR until people realize she isn't mentally suited for that environment. Understand there is no shame in saying that either, because the sad reality is if you grow up racing in cars with mega downforce, engineering people downloading data to assist with setups and being in a no touch enviroment, NASCAR is a RUDE awakening....

Amen....Just ask Dario :up:

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 01:24
Amen....Just ask Dario :up:

Dario never really had a chance to adapt. He ran what, 10 races before he had his accident? 10 in cup and maybe 8 or 9 in Nationwide? The reality is for an IRL guy coming over they need about a year solid running in two series (40 to 60 races total) to really get a feel for adapting to that style of racing. The JPM's and Tony Stewart's are the exception to the rule really.

You look at Allmendinger and Speed now qualifying well and running well in their 3rd and 2nd year and it becomes obvious that there is a learning curve. Danica's dabbling isn't going to get her into that 5 car in 2 years even if she IS a much better driver than we believe she is, so there is no way she is going to get there based on her IRL pedigree.

slorydn1
14th April 2010, 01:40
Dario never really had a chance to adapt. He ran what, 10 races before he had his accident? 10 in cup and maybe 8 or 9 in Nationwide? The reality is for an IRL guy coming over they need about a year solid running in two series (40 to 60 races total) to really get a feel for adapting to that style of racing. The JPM's and Tony Stewart's are the exception to the rule really.

You look at Allmendinger and Speed now qualifying well and running well in their 3rd and 2nd year and it becomes obvious that there is a learning curve. Danica's dabbling isn't going to get her into that 5 car in 2 years even if she IS a much better driver than we believe she is, so there is no way she is going to get there based on her IRL pedigree.

I agree there too. I wasn't downing Dario, I was just using him as the example as his championships book-ended his brief nascar career and he found that its not easy in nascar....That's why I am so confounded as to why people thought Danica was just gonna run over here and show everyone up.

beachgirl
14th April 2010, 03:15
I agree there too. I wasn't downing Dario, I was just using him as the example as his championships book-ended his brief nascar career and he found that its not easy in nascar....That's why I am so confounded as to why people thought Danica was just gonna run over here and show everyone up.

Because she's DANICA!, that's why.

willracefan
14th April 2010, 03:17
i hope tony didnt shut the door on his best friend for kahne to drive the third car?

DanicaFan
14th April 2010, 05:22
The move to Stewart Haas and Hendrick will be a good one for Kasey.

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 05:23

Well other than DF and a few media cheerleaders, I don't think anyone who follows either the IRL or NASCAR on a regular basis would seriously think that. That said, the great unwashed out there was rooting for her, but those of us who are a little more critical of people earning their seats.....we do know the truth.

willracefan
14th April 2010, 08:31
if true, tony is a puppet of hendrick.

nigelred5
14th April 2010, 18:33

To have the best equipment in the series needed to run up front every race, show me where to glue the strings...

Even finishing 20th every weekend, Danica will still get any sponsor far more exposure than a better than average male driver. Just the way it is when you have long black hair, a cute face and the body of a 14 year old boy. :rolleyes:

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 19:14

He isn't a puppet. He is a smart business man. He owns half a Sprint Cup team with 2 cars worth in excess of 60 million. He leases engines from the best engine room in the business, and buys chassis from them as well. If you cannot build your own motors and chassis (the truth is only about 3 teams in the sport are doing that), then you might as well buy the best.

If Mr. Hendrick says, "Tony, I can find you the sponsors, if you want to expand your team, and I can lend you Jr. or Martin for a season." Gee...decisions...decisions...yes Mr. Hendrick, send the stuff RIGHT over....

Only an IDIOT wouldn't say yes to that offer.

AS it was said, where do I glue the strings?

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 19:16
Even finishing 20th every weekend, Danica will still get any sponsor far more exposure than a better than average male driver. Just the way it is when you have long black hair, a cute face and the body of a 14 year old boy. :rolleyes:

That would mean she has to get past the Robby Gordon line (30th). Also...if she has the body of a 14 year old boy, then the boys you have seen are rather soft and curvy. No....She isn't real curvy, but I definately see a woman of sorts there..

Jag_Warrior
14th April 2010, 19:21

^^^This^^^

The Danica is about as ready for Cup as I am. But even if it requires some sponsor (*cough cough* GoDaddy) funding a second car to get behind her and shove her around the track, I figure NASCAR will do everything it can to allow her on the track ASAP. At least until people get tired of this circus sideshow, she will probably be good for ratings and attendance (IMO).

But I honestly don't see Hendrick being the team that would risk its reputation to put the Clown Princesss on the track in Cup. Especially not if it meant losing a legit race car driver and potential winner. I figured this scheme would go something like GoDaddy just writing a bigger check to Dale, Jr., and then he'd form a Cup team (although probably with Hendrick equipment).

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 20:36
^^^This^^^

The Danica is about as ready for Cup as I am. But even if it requires some sponsor (*cough cough* GoDaddy) funding a second car to get behind her and shove her around the track, I figure NASCAR will do everything it can to allow her on the track ASAP. At least until people get tired of this circus sideshow, she will probably be good for ratings and attendance (IMO).

But I honestly don't see Hendrick being the team that would risk its reputation to put the Clown Princesss on the track in Cup. Especially not if it meant losing a legit race car driver and potential winner. I figured this scheme would go something like GoDaddy just writing a bigger check to Dale, Jr., and then he'd form a Cup team (although probably with Hendrick equipment).

Well considering the thread is about Kasey, I still wonder how we end up on the Danica train again. DF strikes again!

I am guilty of it as anyone I know...lol

Anyhow, I am not really surprised that Kasey left, but I didn't see it happening this soon I guess. Silly season used to be in August. Now it starts the week after Daytona...

willracefan
15th April 2010, 05:57
He isn't a puppet. He is a smart business man. He owns half a Sprint Cup team with 2 cars worth in excess of 60 million. He leases engines from the best engine room in the business, and buys chassis from them as well. If you cannot build your own motors and chassis (the truth is only about 3 teams in the sport are doing that), then you might as well buy the best.

If Mr. Hendrick says, "Tony, I can find you the sponsors, if you want to expand your team, and I can lend you Jr. or Martin for a season." Gee...decisions...decisions...yes Mr. Hendrick, send the stuff RIGHT over....

Only an IDIOT wouldn't say yes to that offer.

AS it was said, where do I glue the strings?

let me just say that most hendrick haters are perceiving tony to be a yes man to rh on other boards and i'll leave it at that.

Mark in Oshawa
15th April 2010, 06:36
let me just say that most hendrick haters are perceiving tony to be a yes man to rh on other boards and i'll leave it at that.

They wouldn't have the balls to say it to Tony's face, and he is the one who is ahead financially and emotionally on the deal. Tony has come into his own running his own shop. What is more, he took most of the guys there under Haas, hired a few other guys to make it all work, and it is Tony's direction that is leading this team, not Rick Hendrick. Same chassis and engines were available to Haas when it was his deal alone, and he was life and death to make the top 35. So Tony is not a puppet, Tony knows what he is doing. If Rick Hendrick was going to pay through sponsors he gets to send one of his drivers over to field a third Newman Haas car, Tony is going to hire the guys to staff it and go with 3 cars now isn't he?

What people keep forgetting is these guys care about winning, and not who gets the credit. If Tony can win a championship using Rick Hendrick's stuff, he isn't going to mind. It beats buying used stuff or trying to spend money he doesn't have to build a chassis and engine shops in this economy. They DO modify and set up their cars once they get them from Hendrick's shop, so it is his team. Period.

When one looks back on the history of NASCAR in the last 30 years, Tony isn't the first or the last guy to buy stuff off the shelf from somewhere else either. Everyone used to run either Hutchinson Page or Banjo Matthews Chassis, and people have always bought engines if they were with smaller teams. Tony isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before. The only difference is, Tony is smart enough to make sure he has the best help available and he will take advantage of anything Rick offers to help HIS team.

So if Kasey need a place to race in 2012, and Martin still wants one more go at it, Tony I am sure will have no problem having the old man as his 3rd driver. Or Jr. for that matter.

Jag_Warrior
17th April 2010, 10:47
Well considering the thread is about Kasey, I still wonder how we end up on the Danica train again. DF strikes again!

I am guilty of it as anyone I know...lol

Anyhow, I am not really surprised that Kasey left, but I didn't see it happening this soon I guess. Silly season used to be in August. Now it starts the week after Daytona...

I can't really blame this one on DanicaFan. When this announcement was made, it (Danica's NASCAR future) was a question that more than a few apparently asked.

Kahne News Prompts Me To Wonder: What's Going On With Danica Patrick? (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/unrestricted/entry/view/62855/kahne_news_prompts_me_to_wonder_whats_going_on_wit h_danica_patrick)

Mark in Oshawa
17th April 2010, 14:44
I can't really blame this one on DanicaFan. When this announcement was made, it (Danica's NASCAR future) was a question that more than a few apparently asked.

Kahne News Prompts Me To Wonder: What's Going On With Danica Patrick? (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/unrestricted/entry/view/62855/kahne_news_prompts_me_to_wonder_whats_going_on_wit h_danica_patrick)

The writer of the story obviously wasn't paying attention. No one with any amount of credability would have put Danica in a Hendrick seat for Cup racing. This guy obviously wasn't watching Danica struggle to stay on the lead lap 30 laps in at Fontana.

Only DF would think Danica's seat at Hendrick was a done deal.

If this is what passes for Motorsport journalism now, I should give it a go, because it is clear critical and realistic thinking need not be required.

Jonesi
9th August 2010, 20:57
http://www.nascar.com/2010/news/headlines/cup/08/09/kkahne.red.bull.2011/index.html

Mark in Oshawa
9th August 2010, 21:05
http://www.nascar.com/2010/news/headlines/cup/08/09/kkahne.red.bull.2011/index.html

Interesting story, but I don't see the Chevy people happy with that. Rick will likely get a call from Detroit and they will tell him that putting their future star for the 5 in a Toyota isn't really something they favor.

I still see Rick Hendrick digging up sponsors to fund a 3rd car at Tony Stewart's shop or maybe TRG.

Jonesi
9th August 2010, 21:57
Interesting story, but I don't see the Chevy people happy with that. Rick will likely get a call from Detroit and they will tell him that putting their future star for the 5 in a Toyota isn't really something they favor.

I still see Rick Hendrick digging up sponsors to fund a 3rd car at Tony Stewart's shop or maybe TRG.

NascarNow just mentioned/implied Redbull may not be Toyota next year.

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2010, 05:19
NascarNow just mentioned/implied Redbull may not be Toyota next year.

If THAT's the case, then the rumour is very valid. There is no way Chevy wants Kasey in anything but a Chevy while they wait for the 5 to open up.

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2010, 19:36
Bite my tongue, it was announced today in NSSN that Kahne is in a Red Bull TOYOTA for next year. Until we see someone in Detroit either put a stop to it, or bribe Red Bull to go to Chevy, Kahne will be in a Toyota. Which means when he finally gets to the 5, he will have raced all 4 makes in 4 years...which is pretty remarkable.

Jonesi
11th August 2010, 07:11
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/tom_bowles/08/10/Kasey.Kahne.Red.Bull/index.html

harvick#1
11th August 2010, 16:08
To have the best equipment in the series needed to run up front every race, show me where to glue the strings...

not anymore, who of than Johnson has won in Hendrick equipment this year.

Newman and that was a race where the final pitstop through the huge swing as Newman was never a factor in that Phoenix race.

others and have and some have even passed. Roush seems to have the engines figured out and Biffle and Edwards are gonna be taking full advantage of that this weekend. RCR has been strong week in, week out with all 3 cars, Gibbs has been up there week after week.

but alot of blame goes to Hendrick too this season for basically screwing Martin over for Jooyner, and we have all seen how much better Jooyner has been. if anyone needs to be thrown out of the seat, its the guy in the 88

00steven
11th August 2010, 16:48
I completely agree that JR. needs released. Forget the last name, what has he done the last 5 years? 2 wins. You know who else has 2 wins in only the last 2 years? David Reutimann and he's not with the top team.