PDA

View Full Version : Tour of Epynt

Allyc85
1st March 2007, 23:19
Me and a couple mates are thinking of going up to wales on sunday to watch the tour of epynt. We just looked on the website but the diagrams are tiny n so we were wondering what viewing is like and if the event is well sign posted?

http://www.ptmconline.com/spectator_info.asp

Cheers

scoobysnips
2nd March 2007, 09:28
shold be signposted from the dual carriageway & from the A40 at Llywel.
you'll see most of the traffic entering the road leading to the camp, you just follow the road up to the camp, once in the camp you follow the road and park at dixies corner, you'll be able to walk to the majority of the stages from here, there's always something to watch cause stage times normally overlap.
its normally a cracking event and the entry this time is the best quality i've ever seen.

lets just hope the rain stays away as the mountains are a little exposed!
hope that helps :)

Allyc85
2nd March 2007, 17:21
thats perfect, cheers for the information :)

850racer
3rd March 2007, 21:43
It's going to rain big time so take your waterproofs if your going up there!

Allyc85
4th March 2007, 22:27
It absaloutly hammered it down all day lmao. Still it was worth the drive up from devon to see some great machinery in action. We saw around 3 stages though I dont know which ones they were.

One thing that did annoy me was that programes and stage information was very difficult to come by , with some people not wanting to help.

sal
5th March 2007, 13:03
Jeez what a disaster this event turned out to be. The fall out over the MSA's recent fuel ruling looks like it will have killed this championship before it has even really got going. Much sympathy to those crews that were excluded sounds like a complete farce.

sal
5th March 2007, 16:05
As a result of the debacle following the post event scrutineering the championship sponsors have withdrawn their support. Nice work RACMSA.Hopefully they will see fit to meet/and or listen with competitors in this series to try and avert a complete breakdown of tarmac rallying at National level. I know they want all crews to be in shopping trollies and not have some in WRC cars but this is not the way to go about it!

Allyc85
5th March 2007, 18:20
man thats really sad to hear :( . What exactly is/was the problem with the fuel and so on?

sal
5th March 2007, 18:29
In a nutshell there is major confusion ! The blue book defines what fuel is legal, and the MSA stated that they would be taking samples of fuel,however they didnt explain how they were going to do this. Further more there is no requirement for a fuel sampling point within the MSA blue book yet they intended to take samples from cars that werent equipped with a FIA fuel sample point hence the exclusions.

They claimed they would giving grace , so that people could get their house in order but then went back on their word!

Interesting that this has effected the tarmac series but not apparantly the ANCRO and BTRDA gravel series, yet! Conspiracy theory ready to hand!

The MSA state they have a budget for fuel testing, well I hope its a big one as they are going to have to sample every car on every event at this rate

Why they havent adopted the FIA rules on fuel(as they seem to proclaim tha every other rule change is to bring us more inline with the FIA) seems to be known only to them.

Nick98
5th March 2007, 23:53
Sal

I think your comment of 'yet' has hit the nail on the head. It will surely be coming in both ACNCRO and BTRDA unless of course Legend Fires brave decision on the National Tarmacadam Championship makes people sit up and take notice. I have done a round of both ANCRO and BTRDA this year and on both events we were told to expect random fuel sampling which never came!

That having been said the whole thing is a debacle. The MSA seem to have forgotten two key things:

1. People (myself included) run budgets and to now have to shell out over £5k on new pistons, head rework etc just to run 99 octane fuel is simply a joke. Let alone the cost of testing, and remedial work when it doesn't work - unless of course the MSA are happy to foot the bill for me.

2. More importantly WRC cars are simply not designed to run on pump fuel - be it 99 octane MSA fuel or not. Prodrive and M Sport plus all the other WRC teams spend millions developing engines to run on FIA fuel so for the MSA to try and force people to use 99 octane is madness.

I think Greenergy have a lot to answer for and should be ashamed of themselves over this issue - enough said on that though.

Nick

MrJan
8th March 2007, 23:34
Legend made a bold decision to remove sponsorship. Not sure that the championship will be too chuffed as it was an MSA matter but it does make a good statement, as does Mel Evans vowing never to rally in Britain again. Sadly it will probably go down in history as another victory for the pro Grp N Evo brigade and a loss for those with a bit of power and excitement.

As for the rally itself hardly the best event I've been to. I got absolutely bloody soaked but at least managed to see the field (albeit considerably smaller through the day) 4 times through either Dixies or down by the tank on the stage with the Steps (I forget the name of the corner) It's a shame about the weather really because the rain can really ruin Epynt, especially as it already has a reputation as a car breaker.

Still I have to agree that it was worth the trip (also from Devon in my case) but then any event that I get to hear that Audi on is good :cheese: :D

midgary
9th March 2007, 11:17
same **** fuel thats caused all the problems with road cars , wonder if anyone can blame engine problems on their rally cars from it and get it fixed , msa need their asses kicked for this stupid rule ,why dont they just say shopping cars only to compete and you cant have a navi you must take your mum ,all these rules are why i packed competitive rally in

imull
9th March 2007, 14:29
Still I have to agree that it was worth the trip (also from Devon in my case) but then any event that I get to hear that Audi on is good :cheese: :D

must be missing something because I think its possibly the dullest car I ahve seen. Looks dull, sounded dull again and appears to be driven in a dull way too.

Steve SImpson, Legend, Price, Evans etc were far more interesting to watch and of all those names Simpson wasthe only entertaining one

scoobysnips
10th March 2007, 21:59
must be missing something because I think its possibly the dullest car I ahve seen. Looks dull, sounded dull again and appears to be driven in a dull way too.

with out sounding to bitchy, i think you missed who the current champion is!

imull
10th March 2007, 22:30
trundle round a corner and accelerate. dull imho

sal
10th March 2007, 22:52
MSA Fuel Statement

Following the exclusion of six competitors from last weekend Tour of Epynt, Colin Hilton MSA Chief Executive makes the following statement:

"The current regulations that specify that fuel must be 100 Octane or below have actually been in place for more than a decade. It is the MSA's duty to enforce the rules and to ensure a level playing field for all.

"As with all legislation, the regulations were created by the Motor Sports Council, and the MSA merely administers and enforces them. The fuel regulations were examined again last year by the Motor Sports Council's 'Fuels Working Group', which comprises fuel experts, championship representatives and technical experts. They concluded that a 100 Octane limit was the best choice of fuel (in relation to championship regulations that require the use of 'pump fuel') in order to satisfy the requirements of widespread availability and economic considerations. The limit of 100 Octane is in widespread use throughout Europe and indeed the rest of the world.

"The MSA last year set aside a budget to finance a random fuel testing programme to begin in 2007. Our plans were announced in July 2006 in order to give people plenty of notice that fuel-testing would occur to enforce the regulations. Unfortunately, it seems that some competitors chose to actively ignore this warning.

"The opposition among a certain section of the rallying community during the past week has been ill-informed and out of all proportion. We will certainly not allow a section of the sport to be held to ransom by a minority of vociferous individuals who think that by threats and financial leverage they can change the rules to satisfy their own ends.

"We have had a huge amount of support from the wider rallying community, particularly from the vast majority of competitors who abide by the regulations and consequently suffer a performance disadvantage compared to some of their rivals who may be running illegal fuel.

"The MSA, however, does have the ability to ask the Motor Sports Council to reconsider their decision if it believes that further consideration is in the best interests of the sport. The MSA will therefore hold its own investigation to examine this regulation and to decide whether the conclusion of the Council's Fuels Working Group was correct. We will be undertaking this investigation within the next two weeks and hope to have concluded a report by the end of March.

"In the meantime, we would urge all competitors to adhere to the regulations as laid down in the Blue Book."

Colin Hilton, MSA Chief Executive

Release MSA07-034: 9 March 2007
For Media Information Purposes - No Regulatory Value

MadCat
11th March 2007, 10:53
"We have had a huge amount of support from the wider rallying community,

Yeah right! Bullsh*t IMO

cut the b.s.
12th March 2007, 20:29

Steve SImpson, Legend, Price, Evans etc were far more interesting to watch and of all those names Simpson wasthe only entertaining one

Got to see the Audi last year for the 1st, was looking forward to seeing it as I had heard a lot about it, but while I disagree about how it looks and sounds it did look to be driven way to cautiously, would love to see it either with a different driver or on stages the driver knows better

MrJan
15th March 2007, 19:34
Kynaston has always been a very neat driver which makes him seem dull. As for saying that he just trundles through a corner and uses power on the straight then you obviously don't remember when he drove a mini to very high places, often beating Cossies which were the machine of choice in the day.

As for any other driver being far more interesting then I wish I was watching at the same spot as you because I thought they all seemed pretty dull, ruined by the weather in my opinion.

imull
15th March 2007, 22:29
Kynaston knows Epynt like the back of his hand.

Different car, different styles. Still say that I was disappinted by the car the other weekend. Saw the first version of it before his big accident in the dry up on Epynt a couple of years back and wasnt much more impressed then. IIRC, kynaston was by no means an also ran in the MN championhip days...