PDA

View Full Version : Webber's next in line

Placid
11th April 2010, 14:15
As of right now, we see Mark Webber as the only Australian in the grid. And between these next 2, would you select Will Power or Ryan Briscoe as the next potential successor?

BeansBeansBeans
11th April 2010, 14:21
Neither, I don't think. Daniel Ricciardo will almost certainly be the next Aussie in F1. Perhaps even as early as next season.

Dr. Krogshöj
11th April 2010, 15:34
If the choice is between Will Power and Ryan Briscoe, I guess it's Will Power as F1 has more road courses than ovals.

Saint Devote
11th April 2010, 16:35
Neither, simply because American racing series are weak indicators as to a driver's ability to race in F1.

Briscoe for example is a known entity due to his Toyota testing arrangement and never sparkled.

Ricciardo is the most likely next Australian depending upon how he goes in FR3.5 this year...........

I'd say that he could be in Torro Rosso if Kimi returns and drives for RBR. Possibly in RBR if Kimi does not.

But Red Bull generally view most recent performances as the best judgement, they hire and fire drivers easily and there are very view drivers that would refuse.

Of course if Webber begins to sparkle as he did last year he could be signed for another season.

anthonyvop
11th April 2010, 17:23
Between Power and Briscoe you have to go with Power. They are on the same team with the same cars and Power is embarrassing him so far this season. Actually Powers is driving the 3rd car for Penske racing made up of crew from their now defunct sports car racing team so his dominance is even more impressive.

that being said I believe power would need at least a few races in GP2 before stepping up.

Shifter
11th April 2010, 18:10
I think Power has the ability, but I just don't see it happening. Would love to see it though, the guy is a rare talent. Briscoe isn't fast enough and when he is, he chokes away the lead.

Jag_Warrior
11th April 2010, 19:36
Unless one of them wins the lottery (so he can buy a ride) or goes to GP2 and does something, I'd say neither. The IRL doesn't rate as high as even GP2 in the eyes of F1 owners (and more than a few fans... myself included). No IRL driver has ever made it into F1. That says something, yes? I think Power is an impressive talent, but beating up on the old men, Danicas, Milkas, Sarahs and Marcos of the world isn't going to get him a ride in F1 (IMO).

If either of them wants to be considered for F1, they should (immediately) begin trying to work their way into GP2.

Ranger
12th April 2010, 06:02
Between Power and Briscoe you have to go with Power. They are on the same team with the same cars and Power is embarrassing him so far this season. Actually Powers is driving the 3rd car for Penske racing made up of crew from their now defunct sports car racing team so his dominance is even more impressive.

Agreed.

But Ricciardo will be the next Australian in F1.

Rollo
12th April 2010, 06:25
Jamie Whincup will get a test before any of them. In May.

CNR
12th April 2010, 06:41
As of right now, we see Mark Webber as the only Australian in the grid. And between these next 2, would you select Will Power or Ryan Briscoe as the next potential successor?

as some consider new zealand to be part of australia :o
Daniel Ricciardo and brandon hartley are already red bull and toro rosso reserve and 3rd drivers

Valve Bounce
12th April 2010, 10:46
Gotta be Garry Ablett, no question!

Saint Devote
12th April 2010, 11:23
as some consider new zealand to be part of australia :o
Daniel Ricciardo and brandon hartley are already red bull and toro rosso reserve and 3rd drivers

Ricciardo is F1 material, Hartley not.

Rollo
12th April 2010, 12:26
Gotta be Garry Ablett, no question!

Who do you think would win a fight: Big Bad Barry Hall or Eddie Irvine?

Valve Bounce
12th April 2010, 12:34
Who do you think would win a fight: Big Bad Barry Hall or Eddie Irvine?

Hall, no question. Eddie is such a sook.

markabilly
12th April 2010, 12:46
Hall, no question. Eddie is such a sook.
yeAH one little punch from senna and he was gone.....

Mark in Oshawa
12th April 2010, 23:56
I think Power has the ability, but I just don't see it happening. Would love to see it though, the guy is a rare talent. Briscoe isn't fast enough and when he is, he chokes away the lead.

Ditto...

jens
14th April 2010, 18:05
Both Power and Briscoe have clearly missed the F1 boat and the underperformance of Bourdais in F1 has probably forced the team owners of F1 to take IndyCar less seriously than ever before. I think the only way, how anyone can still join F1 from IndyCar on merit (not as a paydriver!), is simply by blowing everyone away already pretty much as a rookie. In this case it would be quite difficult to ignore such talent. And even then odds are better, if such driver arrives from American feeder series, because if he races in GP2/etc and doesn't get snapped up by F1 teams, they probably may not rate him as worthy enough.

Neither, I don't think. Daniel Ricciardo will almost certainly be the next Aussie in F1. Perhaps even as early as next season.

Or who knows - perhaps as early as this season! :p :

45 Below
15th April 2010, 10:59
Ricciardo is F1 material, Hartley not.

If Hartley is not F1 material then why do Red Bull persist with him? He brings no money and comes from a country so small that the market for their product probably wouldn't even cover Red Bull's paper clip bill.

They must see something in him. But I would fully expect him to be out on his ear next year if he doesn't show it to all of us in this year's WSR.