PDA

View Full Version : The Tires are coming The Tires are coming MASTERS

Roamy
11th April 2010, 03:59
Wow what a exciting day for golf. Hats off to Lee Westwood! He kept it together and played great. One thing about this if Lee wins he will have won a hell of a Major. I watched from dawn to dusk and you know where I will be first thing in the morning. The coverage at masters.com has be very good until the major networks take over. I hear BBC is good too. If you like golf be there because this is one of the best ever.

Good luck to all!!!

Mark in Oshawa
11th April 2010, 05:42
Wow what a exciting day for golf. Hats off to Lee Westwood! He kept it together and played great. One thing about this if Lee wins he will have won a hell of a Major. I watched from dawn to dusk and you know where I will be first thing in the morning. The coverage at masters.com has be very good until the major networks take over. I hear BBC is good too. If you like golf be there because this is one of the best ever.

Good luck to all!!!

Westwood hung on, but the 2 eagles and a near third by Mickleson has to be one of the most amazing 3 holes on the back nine I have ever seen. That second eagle may have been the best shot I have seen in a while. You would think it was Sunday....

Roamy
13th April 2010, 07:40
From behind the tree comes the lights out shot!! Very nice try Tires - I hope lee wins one the the remaining majors and beats the Cheetah straight up doing it.

Mark in Oshawa
13th April 2010, 13:41
I was gutted for Westwood, but Mickleson played one hell of a back nine and under emotional strain. It doesn't seem that long ago that Mickleson was looking for his first Major, and then they all seem to come at once. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Lee gets at least one Major before he retires and theres always next year I suppose.. :)

Lee I suspect isn't retiring any time soon, and I was rooting for him. I am just to the point now where I am starting to believe in Mickelson as being everything the fawning CBS types would claim him to be. I never used to like him, and my wife laughs when I call him "Tin Cup" for his past exploits of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory by going for it too many times when he didn't have to. He has learned however....and that run on the Saturday where he had 2 eagles and was inches from a third was the most amazing little run I have seen in a long time. That was...Tigeresque.

Sunday, well he just put the heat on Lee, passed him, and never looked back. Lee played good, Phil was better...

I just wish tho the other good lefty, my man Mike Weir would find great again. It seems he hates success. 2 good rounds are always followed by 2 crappy rounds. It is horrifying to watch him on the lead for a brief moment on Friday only to see him to shoot 8 over par in two rounds following...

Roamy
13th April 2010, 15:58
Mark,
It is very hard for short people to be consistent winners on the tour. They basically have destroyed the game for all who don't live and the gym and are over 6ft. Yea occasionally a short guy wins but you can play against driver 7 iron on a par 5 and expect to win much. Jack Nicklaus was very vocal in the fact they destroyed the game. All of the famous courses including Augusta had to be lengthened to accommodate the new distance. It is all about swing arc and strength = ball speed. Weir will have some good games as he is a very good player but stand Weir up next to mickelson and Cheetah and look at the difference.

Bob Riebe
13th April 2010, 18:33
Mark,
It is very hard for short people to be consistent winners on the tour. They basically have destroyed the game for all who don't live and the gym and are over 6ft. Yea occasionally a short guy wins but you can play against driver 7 iron on a par 5 and expect to win much. Jack Nicklaus was very vocal in the fact they destroyed the game. All of the famous courses including Augusta had to be lengthened to accommodate the new distance. It is all about swing arc and strength = ball speed. Weir will have some good games as he is a very good player but stand Weir up next to mickelson and Cheetah and look at the difference.
I would like to see how the current crop would do with clubs of style and SIZE used in 1970.
The asininely huge driver heads should be banned.

I was at flea market some years back, and a booth had a set from the 1930s for sale. They were in exceptionally good shape.
I tried them for size and they fit me well (I am a little over six feet tall) I did not have the 300 dollars asked, but the size of the heads on the woods would have separated men from boys and divot diggers.

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 00:42
Mark,

Well Fousto, for the most part I don't disagree EXCEPT There is a few notable facts about Weir. One, although he is a little guy, his greatest win came after one of the soggiest Master's in history. A long hitter had an advantage that there was no roll, so a short hitter should have really had to struggle, and yet Mike did his best in those conditions. He also had a great run in the last US Open on a soggy Blackpage, which is a course made for the long hitter. So Weir's better runs have often come in conditions and courses that shouldn't be in his favor.

I put down a lot of Weir's lack of success actually to his putter. I have seen it let him down at weird times. He is one of the most consistent and accurate man with irons which gets him down on the green with the best of them, but it is his putter that has played havoc with him. Read the stats for greens in regulation, and Weir is up there. He is only at a disadvantage in that he cant make eagle on a lot of long 4's that maybe the longer hitters will. I have always thought Weir's lack of length would be a problem, but I think he is pretty close to the tour average. He gets all he has out of every swing.

Roamy
14th April 2010, 03:45
Mark
Here is some good reading for you

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Interview-Jack-Nicklaus/1442/Default.aspx

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 06:00
Mark
Here is some good reading for you

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Interview-Jack-Nicklaus/1442/Default.aspx

Jack is very correct. They need a deader ball really. I like how the top pros can spin it back and get it to land where they want it. At Augusta, it is fun watching them throw darts at the greens but Jack is very much correct that a 7500 yard course is a joke.

I just know Mike Weir was in contention the last time the US Open was at Bethpage and the course was giving NO one any run and Weir was right there. So it isn't just hitting long, even with the stupidity of the way balls are flying now....

I would like them take about 10% out of the balls for sure, and I don't know why the PGA and R and A don't put in a rule for Professional golf that dictates a limited compression ball. You and I who might be hackers don't need to be governed by those rules, but I think giving Tiger one of these bionic balls so he can hit 375 yard drives on Par 4's is ruining a lot of great courses for the pros.