PDA

View Full Version : 3 countries that should produce an F1 driver

Sprinter_Panda_AE86
3rd April 2010, 07:19
In the sport's 60 years of existence. It has seen a lot of drivers from all around the world. Well today, we don't have a diverse enough selection of F1 drivers on the grid. At least I don't think so.

So I have a question. In an honest opinion, what top 3 countries would YOU like to see produce a talented, podium finishing, grand prix winning, championship contender in the next 5-10 years?

I'm sure there will be a person posting their home country on there, and feel free.

And if you already have a driver representing your home country, just give an honest top 3 list of countries you would be interested in seeing on the F1 grid.

Also, list some reasons as to why you picked those 3 countries.

gloomyDAY
3rd April 2010, 07:24
USA - Rich racing history and lots of talent. Sadly, much of that talent gets siphoned to NASCAR.

Canada - I want to see another JV. Pissy Canadians are the best!

Mexico - Solid racing history, some talent, and great sponsorship opportunities.

CNR
3rd April 2010, 07:58
New Zealand
why so that every one is reminded that McLaren team stems from a New Zealand man and has nothing to do with england

Sprinter_Panda_AE86
3rd April 2010, 07:59
just one country thunderbolt?

F1boat
3rd April 2010, 08:14
Japan
Italy
France

AndyL
3rd April 2010, 10:29
I'm going for 3 of the 4 countries who've produced the most F1 drivers without ever having a champion:
Belgium
Japan
Holland

(Switzerland has the most drivers with no champions, but I can't vote for a country that completely outlawed all motorsport.)

And 3 countries who have never had an F1 driver who it would be good to see represented:
China
Iceland
The Isle of Man

ioan
3rd April 2010, 10:38
I don't care about nationalities.

Rollo
3rd April 2010, 10:43
You'd think that Japan after all these years of technical excellence would eventually produce just one top drawer driver. Maybe Kobayashi could be the man, but only time will tell.

Some time in the next 20 years, once China produces world class motor cars for itself and export, they're probably going to want to go F1 racing. Perhaps in cahoots with someone like Boeing they might do.

Is it too much to ask for a world champion from the Kingdom of Lovely?
http://www.citizensrequired.com/unit/site/index.shtml

UltimateDanGTR
3rd April 2010, 10:52
Argentina
France
United States

that's my opinion.

ioan
3rd April 2010, 11:08
Some time in the next 20 years, once China produces world class motor cars for itself and export...

They already do.

jens
3rd April 2010, 13:20
Sweden, who hasn't had an F1 driver for a long time (wish Ericsson turns out to be the real deal!) or why not even Norway, who has never had one - also to take a fight against to their neighbours Finns, who seem to be doing much better in the department of racing. :D

Well, I guess it would be great to have a top F1 driver from China and/or India - just to boost the interest of F1 in those countries and also add more variety to the grid in terms of global presence. Having said that, I'd like to see a Kenyan driver in F1 as well. :D But unfortunately that seems like a massive long shot.

AJP
3rd April 2010, 13:35
They already do.

which ones?

arknor
3rd April 2010, 14:46
iraq , afghanistan and iran. would be intresting if any one from those countries ever made it :D

steveaki13
3rd April 2010, 15:10
I think it would be good to see the US produce another top level driver for F1.

So
USA
New Zealand
South Africa!

I think it would be good to see an African Driver again, but it could be from any nation.

Sonic
3rd April 2010, 17:23
Personally it doesn't matter to me where a driver is from. My current faves comprise drivers from Germany, Australia and Japan.

I think the only people who cares where a driver is from are the marketing bods - oh and Bernie!

Josti
3rd April 2010, 17:24
I agree with Jens, Sweden had some top drivers in the past. It's been 20 years or so since Johansson quit F1, time for a new Swede already.

China is represented, more or less, Ho-Pin Tung has Dutch-Chinese nationality.

ioan
3rd April 2010, 17:53
which ones?

BMW and Mercedes, and others, have China based production plants.
I suppose these are world class motor cars.

ioan
3rd April 2010, 17:54
Personally it doesn't matter to me where a driver is from.

Way to go!

Jag_Warrior
3rd April 2010, 19:58
USA - Rich racing history and lots of talent. Sadly, much of that talent gets siphoned to NASCAR.

Mexico - Solid racing history, some talent, and great sponsorship opportunities.

I agree with all of the above. :up:

I think China will have a driver in the upper ranks very soon. What they'll do is kidnap Sebastian Vettel, change his passport and birth certificate to say that he's Chinese and they'll have their first upper level F1 talent right there.

airshifter
3rd April 2010, 20:24
It doesn't matter to me where they come from, as long as we end up with a talented grid. Sadly these days a lot of a drivers problem is the money to attract sponsors and get a good enough car to get in the limelight to even be considered for an F1 ride.

AJP
3rd April 2010, 23:23
BMW and Mercedes, and others, have China based production plants.
I suppose these are world class motor cars.

I thought we were talking about China designing and producing cars....

Not, car parts for manufacturers...

I must be confused.

ozrevhead
3rd April 2010, 23:46
Id say Sweeden, Japan and Ireland

goodf1fun
3rd April 2010, 23:56

Usa has nothing to do with F1,is better to keep away any drivers or joke/fake teams lol

maximilian
4th April 2010, 03:26
France! I just hate what has happened to one of the great founder nations of Formula 1 racing, they have no driver in the series anymore, their GP has been taken away from them, and their last remaining constructor has been practically sold off to an entity from outside France. I would love to see a new French driver kick ass, and start a new revival for French Formula 1 racing. Vergne, anyone?

The Netherlands! They seem to have plenty of sponsors and a great following of F1, but never seem to get a decent enough driver, despite all that. I'd say the Dutch are overdue to finally get their superstar driver!

Pacific Rim! I would like to see a driver from a place like Hong Kong, Singapore or Taiwan, or even Japan... a real superstar from Asia. The Japanese have been trying hard, and they surely have the following as well as the sponsors, they are a bit like the Dutch in that respect, and would be overdue. If not, an ethnic Chinese driver from outside the mainland who speaks good English would be pretty cool. ;)

Regardless of nationality, I would be absolutely thrilled to see a female driver [WITH PERSONALITY] who can really compete and hold her own at the top levels of motorsports (and by that I mean F1, and NOT 5th place in IndyCar!) :D

Valve Bounce
4th April 2010, 03:42
Pacific Rim! I would like to see a driver from a place like Hong Kong, ........................... :D

Funny that you should mention HK. There are illegal races run in HK most weekend nights, and watched by thousands. Unfortunately, these are the usual hotted up Civics and the like, easily stolen and hotted up. But as far as motor racing itself, this form of sport has been banned in HK for many, many years, with the closest event being the once a year bash in Macau. Without any single seater feeder series anywhere near HK, you are not going to get any drivers there proficient in single seater racing.

To highlight this issue, most Chinese who have ideals generally prefer to study, get into HK U, become a professional, become rich, and invest in property and the Stock Market. Of course, they also aspire to become members of the HK Jockey Club.

So there! in a nutshell you have the reason why HK will never produce an F! driver - it will interfere with his stockmarket investment program.

maximilian
4th April 2010, 03:43
I thought we were talking about China designing and producing cars....

Not, car parts for manufacturers...

I must be confused.

[source: Wikipedia]

As of November 2009, China is the largest auto market in the world. China's automobile industry has been in rapid development since the early 1990s. In 2009, China produced 13.79 million units of automobiles.

Of the automobiles produced, 44.3% are local brands (BYD, Chery, Geely, Hafei, Jianghuai (JAC), Chang'an (Chana), Great Wall, Roewe etc.), the rest being produced by joint ventures with foreign car makers such as Volkswagen, General Motors, Hyundai, Nissan, Honda, Toyota etc.

Roamy
4th April 2010, 03:44
Cameroon
Ghana
Falklands

AJP
4th April 2010, 06:03
[source: Wikipedia]

As of November 2009, China is the largest auto market in the world. China's automobile industry has been in rapid development since the early 1990s. In 2009, China produced 13.79 million units of automobiles.

Of the automobiles produced, 44.3% are local brands (BYD, Chery, Geely, Hafei, Jianghuai (JAC), Chang'an (Chana), Great Wall, Roewe etc.), the rest being produced by joint ventures with foreign car makers such as Volkswagen, General Motors, Hyundai, Nissan, Honda, Toyota etc.

ok...so I will go back to the start....

are we talking about world class designs and manufacturing???

52Paddy
4th April 2010, 08:00
Obviously, Ireland. Over the years, Ireland has had a few drivers and some were quite successful in their short-lived careers e.g. Martin Donnelly, John Watson, Tommy Byrne (pre-F1), Eddie Irvine and [scraping the barrel here] Derek Daly. A lot of drivers here struggle to get funds together to further their careers from a national level so whatever potential they may have is never really showcased on an international scene unfortunately. Though I'm sure that could be said about several other countries.

I'd also like to see an American and a Frenchman back in the sport because of the history those countries have with drivers and GP races.

markabilly
4th April 2010, 16:39

Usa, Canada and Texas :vader:

DexDexter
4th April 2010, 21:08
Usa, Usa, Usa :)

D28
5th April 2010, 01:07
Canada - I want to see another JV. Pissy Canadians are the best.

I agree, Unfortunately the Canadian government did away with the golden goose some years ago. Players (Imperial Tobacco) were responsible for the development of a generation of quality drivers of JV's age. As predicted no company has stepped in to replace the tobacco sponsorship. All Canadian F1 talent are called Villeneuve and Jacques has a son about 6, Still, he will have to develop his skills elsewhere.

harsha
5th April 2010, 05:43
I agree with all of the above. :up:

I think China will have a driver in the upper ranks very soon. What they'll do is kidnap Sebastian Vettel, change his passport and birth certificate to say that he's Chinese and they'll have their first upper level F1 talent right there.

:laugh:

maybe they'll clone Seb Vettel and bang that clone in...

Mark in Oshawa
6th April 2010, 01:32
Would love to see another Canadian out there, maybe one from English Canada.

I would love to see another Irishman out there, since they are so fun to interview. Never boring for the press.

The last one? I think the best thing for F1 would be if an existing US star was given a go at f1...say a young Kyle Busch or something. Pipe dream stuff I know...

Dzeidzei
6th April 2010, 07:56
I don't care about nationalities.

I absolutely do, and proudly so. Wish you Romanians had a driver to cheer for... would be refreshing to see biased, belittling, contradictory, and basicly wrong facts from Ioan as he is always right now.

Its just so mindblowing now. If God existed heŽd make more mistakes than Ioan.

PS. This is written on a lighter tone. Just to make sure :)

aryan
6th April 2010, 08:04
France
US
Australia

D28
6th April 2010, 19:11
Would love to see another Canadian out there, maybe one from English Canada.

I would love to see another Irishman out there, since they are so fun to interview. Never boring for the press.

The last one? I think the best thing for F1 would be if an existing US star was given a go at f1...say a young Kyle Busch or something. Pipe dream stuff I know...

Mark, please refer to my previous post above. Do you know of any healthy formula series in Canada after FF; Formula Atlantic is now dead. My feeling is that The Canadian Tire Stocker series (CASCAR ?) may be the prime development route for aspiring drivers. If so, this situation would be similar to US, where the best young drivers are directed towards NASCAR rather than open wheel racing. Any thoughts on this.