PDA

View Full Version : The rain in Sepang falls mainly at 5pm...?

Somebody
1st April 2010, 23:38
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/04/01/the-rain-in-kl/

How has the weather been? we asked. It rains every day at 5pm, came the reply. And come five, what happened? Streaming rain. So, timetable for the weekend? The race starts at 4pm...

harvick#1
2nd April 2010, 00:41
rain events make for much better racing, I still believe every track should have a sprinkler system fitted so random shots of water will soak the track and force teams to run rain tires :laugh:

Valve Bounce
2nd April 2010, 00:47
Don't forget the lightning and thunder.

Saint Devote
2nd April 2010, 01:04
It was not the rain that produced the good racing and experienced fans will know that. The rain triggers a shift in strategy only.

It was that the drivers learned a great deal from Sakhir and understood the tyres far better - as do the teams now.

The drivers just RACED because they also know that there are no longer pit stops to do the work.

I think we are going to see dry races just as enthralling.

After all, anyone remembering last years Sepang race must surely be hoping a repeat - aside from the winner :-] is not going to occur.

Shifter
2nd April 2010, 02:18
uh, rain in Malaysia = event washout. I actually agree with SD on this one, hope the rain holds out.

steveaki13
2nd April 2010, 16:57
Yer we don't need a repeat of last year.

It needs to stay dry, because if it rains here it will surely race over (No showers)

52Paddy
2nd April 2010, 18:33
I don't mind if it rains, just so long as we either get the full lap count or 2 hours of on-track racing.

christophulus
2nd April 2010, 18:58
I can see the race being suspended half way through, but last year it only hung around for a brief period so there should be enough light to get back underway again.

This could all be avoided if Bernie just listened to local knowledge and, I dunno, started the race earlier?

pettersolberg29
2nd April 2010, 19:00
It was not the rain that produced the good racing and experienced fans will know that. The rain triggers a shift in strategy only.

After all, anyone remembering last years Sepang race must surely be hoping a repeat - aside from the winner :-] is not going to occur.

I can't say I'm an experienced fan, but I've been following for 10 years or so now and I disagree. Wet races are always exciting, always spring surprises and are much better for the neutral. It's not for the purists, but rain brings incidents and pit stops and is just more exciting.

Australia is a good example, as was Spa 2008, Silverstone 2008 and Fuji (2007?). Even Sepang last year was quite exciting while it lasted - a surprise result, a few crashes and a good bit of overtaking too.

UltimateDanGTR
2nd April 2010, 21:02
I can see the race being suspended half way through, but last year it only hung around for a brief period so there should be enough light to get back underway again.

This could all be avoided if Bernie just listened to local knowledge and, I dunno, started the race earlier?

agreed. If the race is rained off 09-style again, bernie seriously needs to rethink timing for Malaysia 2011............

maximilian
2nd April 2010, 23:32
One thing rain races NEVER are, and that's BORING! :D So I say bring it on! I am looking forward to the fairy tale of one of the new teams outlasting the carnage, and scoring their first point! :champion:

Valve Bounce
3rd April 2010, 04:22
One thing rain races NEVER are, and that's BORING! :D So I say bring it on! I am looking forward to the fairy tale of one of the new teams outlasting the carnage, and scoring their first point! :champion:

Hispania, last man standing just as the safety car comes out, then the race is called off three laps later, and they WIN!. I'd even change my sig for that if it happened. :p :

maximilian
3rd April 2010, 04:24
Hispania, last man standing just as the safety car comes out, then the race is called off three laps later, and they WIN!. I'd even change my sig for that if it happened. :p :
If that happens, they'll probably come with some mashall-induced BS reversion to the previous lap just before Alonso crashed out of the lead, causing the safety car :D

call_me_andrew
3rd April 2010, 06:32
I enjoy a wet race as much as the next guy.

That said, if these start times are to continue, then the race should be moved to September, when Malaysia gets less rain.

ozrevhead
3rd April 2010, 07:06
they are when they are cancelled half way through

We want rain not a monsoon

ioan
3rd April 2010, 11:21
Well, it looks like the answer is yes. Even if the computers and the weathermen thought otherwise.

Heck even in Europe when it is very hot and humidity is high, like it always is in Malaysia, in the summer we regularly get thunderstorms after 3 pm.