PDA

View Full Version : Speedcar Series

veeten
1st March 2007, 13:34
If you can't beat 'em make a 'knock-off', eh Bernie?... :p :

http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~Alesi-confirms-Speedcar-future-~cid~26~id~143760.htm

Lee Roy
1st March 2007, 13:48
Based on the NASCAR concept, the cars will be built specifically for the series, with tubular fibreglass-clad 'silhouette' chassis mated to engines built in the Nextel Cup heartland of Charlotte, USA.

Cool.

veeten
1st March 2007, 14:06
and with a 'shake down' test at VIR next week, March 5-6.

Should be good. :) Anyone going to be in the area then?

RaceFanStan
1st March 2007, 15:02
It sounds good, I will watch it if it is televised in the States ! :D :up:

colinspooky
1st March 2007, 15:27
like to see it too - bet it dies a death like the 'NASCAR' series in the UK... never really took off did it. Lack of tracks doesn't help I guess and small fields.
And by the by --- what made them build Rockingham with flat turns.......... suicide.

RaceFanStan
1st March 2007, 16:14
The ill-fated ASCAR/Days of Thunder Series stumbled from the start,
I think it wasn't well thought out as it appeared the UK people didn't want to see "American" cars competing.
I think if they could have gotten auto manufacturers that produced cars for the UK involved
& had gotten cars similiar to what the UK citizens drove, it could have succeeded.

Part of the success of NASCAR is related to brand identification.
An American can go down the street & buy a Monte Carlo, Fusion, Charger or Camry.
The racefans identify with the cars used in NASCAR.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rockingham is NOT completely "flat" actually ...
Rockingham Motor Speedway says it is an 1.47 mile oval with 4 degrees banking in the turns ...
though not much banking, it should be enough to help the cars turn ...
my guess is that the builders of Rockingham Motor Speedway wanted it to be a driver's track ...
not another high banked speedway where the high speeds made aero more important than the drivers ...
it is shaped a lot like the 2.5 mile Indianapolis Motor Speedway ...
I would love to see a race @ Rockingham, the track looks like a good one ! :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope the Speedcar Series races @ Rockingham, I think it would be a good race. :D

cgs
1st March 2007, 17:05
Rockingham has 7 degrees of banking and is uniquely shaped and is more similar to how Las Vegas Used to be than Indy

and its the shape it is because they tried to fit as large a track as possible into an oddly shaped plot of land.

plus the banking is low to help accomedate road course racing series.

at least its nto as bad at Eurospeedway. a 2 mile trioval simalar to Pocono with only 3 degrees in each corner!

harvick#1
1st March 2007, 17:13
yes but Eurospeedway has one badass road course :D

Erki
1st March 2007, 17:57
yes but Eurospeedway has one badass road course :D

I guess you have the advantage of knowing the track layout via TRD3 but I don't think rovals are really a great idea.

harvick#1
1st March 2007, 18:05
yep :D

harvick#1
1st March 2007, 18:10
so since the COT may run full time in 08, the teams might as well sell of their cars then to these guys for some big money

cgs
1st March 2007, 19:05
thats what ASCE was going to do. it was the old style cup cars chasis with a busch engine. but the cars cost £100,000 and no one wants one!

Erki
1st March 2007, 21:11
£100,000? :eek: Isn't that a little bit too much?

jslone
2nd March 2007, 06:09
I guess you have the advantage of knowing the track layout via TRD3 but I don't think rovals are really a great idea.

Sure they are Erki,you get to see the whole course and all the action instead of seeing it on monitors.

Erki
2nd March 2007, 10:29
Sure they are Erki,you get to see the whole course and all the action instead of seeing it on monitors.

But they never even get a chance to go against Spa, Nürburgring, Bathurst, Le Mans, Watkins Glen&most tracks in the US ;) - all natural racetracks molded by nature, not just an extension for an oval track. Makes it great for spectators to follow the race though, not arguing against this one. :up:

BenRoethig
2nd March 2007, 16:32
£100,000? :eek: Isn't that a little bit too much?

You gotta pay the VAT man.

cgs
2nd March 2007, 16:43
perhaps its $100,000 ...?

BenRoethig
2nd March 2007, 16:45
Up next COT versions of the E-Class, 5 series, Audi A6, and Volvo S80

acorn
2nd March 2007, 18:30
like to see it too - bet it dies a death like the 'NASCAR' series in the UK... never really took off did it. Lack of tracks doesn't help I guess and small fields.
And by the by --- what made them build Rockingham with flat turns.......... suicide.

ascar/dot/scsa ain't dead yet as well you know.

when you consider that a champcar team owner was one of the owners you can tell why it was built "flat".

acorn
2nd March 2007, 18:37
so since the COT may run full time in 08, the teams might as well sell of their cars then to these guys for some big money

speedcars(which are apparently road course cars) will be purpose built and not ex nascars.they will race in asia and the middle east
asce which is completely different (scheduled to race on ovals and road courses) was?(gone a bit quiet on the news fronmt)/ is going to use ex busch cars. it will race in europe.

RaceFanStan
2nd March 2007, 18:46
ascar/dot/scsa ain't dead yet .....
Cool, I wasn't aware of the name change from DOT to SCSA.
I'm glad to hear the series survived. :D :up:

cgs
2nd March 2007, 18:49
Cool, I wasn't aware of the name change from DOT to SCSA.
I'm glad to hear the series survived. :D :up:

you need to check the front page of the motorsportforums ;)

bertje
5th March 2007, 18:11
New names : Johnny Herbert, Gianni Morbidelli and Stefan Johansson
Info : http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/57054

veeten
5th March 2007, 18:48
you think the Mexico City race yesterday might have some folks thinking... ;)

Hmmmmm... :D

GayParis
5th March 2007, 22:03
I say throw in an oval or 2 to keep everyone honest. It wouldn't hurt.

veeten
7th March 2007, 17:18
Seems that they like it... and the car, too. ;) :D

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/57073