PDA

View Full Version : Two Bombs Explode in Moscow

Eki
29th March 2010, 17:19
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/03/29/blast-moscow-metro-kills/

Interesting choice of words by the Fox News. If this had happened in Washington DC, I'm sure the headline would say "terrorists", but since it happened in Moscow, it says "homicide bombers". If the Russians use "unconventional interrogation methods" while trying to catch the "enemy combatants", the Fox News will probably say they "torture dissidents". The Fox News is so "fair and balanced".

Lousada
29th March 2010, 18:27

Interesting choice of words by the Fox News. If this had happened in Washington DC, I'm sure the headline would say "terrorists", but since it happened in Moscow, it says "homicide bombers". If the Russians use "unconventional interrogation methods" while trying to catch the "enemy combatants", the Fox News will probably say they "torture dissidents". The Fox News is so "fair and balanced".

I never understood the difference between "rebels" and "terrorists". These "homocide bombers" (shouldn't that be "suicide bombers"?) are rebels, but those in Iraq and Afganistan are terrorists and/or extremists.

Jag_Warrior
29th March 2010, 18:31
I think Fox made the decision to start using the term "homocide bomber" some time ago. Just an exercise in semantics.

What's important is this was a horrible attack. The response should be swift and painful for those involved.

billiaml
29th March 2010, 19:38
One person's "freedom fighter" is another person's "terrorist." All a matter of perspective, I guess. IMHO, none of our news sources is "fair and balanced." It's all spun one way or the other.

To me, though, a "terrorist attack" is any attack on a predominantly civilian target -- and this definitely qualifies as that.

anthonyvop
29th March 2010, 19:54

Eki,

Nice try.

I want to point out one little thing you missed during your anti-Fox diatribe.

Look right under the title of the article. Do you see those 2 letters?

In case you missed it is says.........AP.
That is an Associated Press news release. Not a FOX release. They are bound by contract not to change it so don't even think about trying to say Fox edited it.

Now......Don't you feel silly?

Eki
29th March 2010, 20:16
Eki,

Nice try.

I want to point out one little thing you missed during your anti-Fox diatribe.

Look right under the title of the article. Do you see those 2 letters?

That is an Associated Press news release. Not a FOX release. They are bound by contract not to change it so don't even think about trying to say Fox edited it.

No, Associated Press might. Or those who use words like "terrorists" only when an attack is against Americans or American interests.

Eki
29th March 2010, 20:25
To be fair and balanced towards Fox, also CNN doesn't use the word "terrorist" until they quote Putin and carefully place the word between quotation marks:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/03/29/russia.subway.explosion/index.html?hpt=T2

Moscow, Russia (CNN) -- Russian investigators combing two subway stations attacked by female suicide bombers think Chechen rebels may have been behind the rush-hour strike that killed dozens of people.
"Our preliminary assessment is that this act of terror was committed by a terrorist group from the North Caucasus region," Alexander Bortnikov of the Federal Security Service said of the investigation at one of the blast sites.
"We consider this the most likely scenario, based on investigations conducted at the site of the blast," Bortnikov said. "Fragments of the suicide bombers' body found at the blast, according to preliminary findings, indicate that the bombers were from the North Caucasus region."
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said the "terrorists" responsible for the Moscow subway attacks Monday "will be destroyed."

Daniel
29th March 2010, 21:42
No offence Eki, but there are better times and places to make these sort of "points"

anthonyvop
30th March 2010, 04:50
No, Associated Press might. Or those who use words like "terrorists" only when an attack is against Americans or American interests.

It was a AP news release.....End of discussion.

Storm
30th March 2010, 06:32
Same as when BBC said Mumbai was attacked by "gunmen". yeah right.

Daniel
30th March 2010, 07:51
Same as when BBC said Mumbai was attacked by "gunmen". yeah right.
Hey! Only the British, Americans and the Australians are worthwhile enough that any attack like this is considered terrorism :mark:

F1boat
30th March 2010, 09:00
I am very sad for all people who died there :( How you call the murderers is no so important. They are MURDERERS and nothing more!

Garry Walker
30th March 2010, 09:04
40 people get killed and yet all this cretin (yes, I am referring to eki) manages to talk about is how biased Fox is according to him. Not one word about victims or anything. What a sickening imbecile.

ShiftingGears
30th March 2010, 13:30
RIP. My condolences to all the friends and families of those killed.

Fred Basset
30th March 2010, 14:42
40 people get killed and yet all this cretin (yes, I am referring to eki) manages to talk about is how biased Fox is according to him. Not one word about victims or anything. What a sickening imbecile.

Got to agree on this one!! Incredibly poor taste Eki.. you should be ashamed

BeansBeansBeans
30th March 2010, 15:49
Shame on Fred and Garry for using a thread about the deaths of 40 people to make personal attacks.

slorydn1
30th March 2010, 16:13
Fox, AP, or who ever may not have said it....but I will:

I hope the authorities catch the terrorists, soon, hang them in Red Square by their attachments, then kill slowly them by cutting off various body parts one by one, letting them suffer all the while....

There is NO place in this world for terrorism of any sort

EuroTroll
30th March 2010, 16:36
I hope the authorities catch the terrorists, soon, hang them in Red Square by their attachments, then kill slowly them by cutting off various body parts one by one, letting them suffer all the while....

Do you seriously suggest such barbarity??

Yes, I also hope the Russian authorities solve this matter quickly. It's very difficult to do that, though. What they're facing is essentially the same as what NATO is facing in Afghanistan.

May the victims rest in peace.

Captain VXR
30th March 2010, 16:48
What utter imbeciles :mad:
If you strike at a country, doing it to civilians is simply cold and cowardly

Daniel
30th March 2010, 17:40
Shame on Fred and Garry for using a thread about the deaths of 40 people to make personal attacks.
I'm sorry BBB but I have to kind of agree.

Eki was the one who used this thread to take a pot shot at Fox :mark:

Eki
30th March 2010, 18:20

Certainly you also have to agree with 3B? Garry and Fred DID however use this thread to make a personal attack on me. Or actually, only Garry did by calling me a cretin and an imbecile. What Fred said wasn't so bad and he actually had a point.

Malbec
30th March 2010, 21:28

Not true. About 60-70% of reported news now comes direct from AP and other news agencies like Reuters and not from reporters employed by organisations like Fox News. There is no contractual obligation to not alter the report, those organisations are free to do as they wish with the text and context of the news passed onto them by the news agencies.

anthonyvop
30th March 2010, 22:25
Not true. About 60-70% of reported news now comes direct from AP and other news agencies like Reuters and not from reporters employed by organisations like Fox News. There is no contractual obligation to not alter the report, those organisations are free to do as they wish with the text and context of the news passed onto them by the news agencies.

They are allowed to use any information as they see fit for their story name AP as a source.

but if they post a release as a AP news release it cannot be edited.

Mark in Oshawa
1st April 2010, 00:35

yup...but it doesn't surprise me. Eki has a hatred towards Fox and George W Bush among other things. This is semantics......

It is a crime against humanity and it is Terrorism. To accuse anyone of political correctness on this is just silly. We all know what those people were, and we know that the Russian state will get their revenge on someone. It is a matter of time. Unlike American or British political leaders, the Russians manipulate their political face to their people through their arm twisting in the media. If the Russians hold true to form, Chechnya may not be a fun place this summer....

Mark in Oshawa
1st April 2010, 00:37

A friend of mine who works for the CBC and who has worked on a newspaper before told me that wireservice copy is usually left untouched. If you alter it, then you are to say "sources including AP and Fox Staff". Since the report merely said AP, it was unaltered.

slorydn1
1st April 2010, 00:51

There is NO place in this world for terrorism of any sort

Do you seriously suggest such barbarity??

Yes, I also hope the Russian authorities solve this matter quickly. It's very difficult to do that, though. What they're facing is essentially the same as what NATO is facing in Afghanistan.

May the victims rest in peace.

No, not exactly, but if sure felt good to say it, though. If I honestly believed that it would permanently end this kind of terroristic activity then yes, I would advocate that. But, alas, I do not. There will always be those who want to wipe out everyone and everything they don't agree with. They need to be dealt with in the severest possible nature that the law allows for.

Garry Walker
1st April 2010, 10:57
Certainly you also have to agree with 3B? Garry and Fred DID however use this thread to make a personal attack on me. Or actually, only Garry did by calling me a cretin and an imbecile.

And I stand by those comments 100%

Roamy
2nd April 2010, 05:38

We reserve the word "terrorist" to those ragheads you support. And I doubt the Russians will be cited for 'waterboarding' I can just vision Putin at the World Tribunal for waterboarding. He may demonstrate that new Mig 35 whatever the hell that is.

Oh BTW Eki thank for asking about me. I was off trying to clean up my vocabulary ---- I failed !!!

Eki
2nd April 2010, 14:09
We reserve the word "terrorist" to those ragheads you support. And I doubt the Russians will be cited for 'waterboarding' I can just vision Putin at the World Tribunal for waterboarding. He may demonstrate that new Mig 35 whatever the hell that is.

Oh BTW Eki thank for asking about me. I was off trying to clean up my vocabulary ---- I failed !!!
Good to see you're back. I was worried the coyotes finally got you.

Roamy
3rd April 2010, 00:05
Eki - son you know I am armed to the hilt. Many things may get me but a coyote won't be one of them.

Captain VXR
3rd April 2010, 20:45
Foushto - 'raghead' is as unacceptable as honky or nigger - I wouldnt use it

Eki
3rd April 2010, 22:02
Well, fousto already told us he failed in cleaning up his vocabulary.

anthonyvop
4th April 2010, 00:46
Eki - son you know I am armed to the hilt. Many things may get me but a coyote won't be one of them.

Has any adult ever been killed by a coyote? A wolf maybe but a coyote?
Coyotes are about the size of a media sized dog(3-40 lbs) and are very skittish and shy around humans.

Roamy
4th April 2010, 00:53

I kinda like Honky - it now has evolved into meaning "White and Right"

Actually that is the problem with society today. Everyone is running around with this "proper protocol" while they are robbing you blind on the other side aka politicians. If no one made a big deal out of words they would mean little.

BDunnell
4th April 2010, 01:02
Actually that is the problem with society today. Everyone is running around with this "proper protocol" while they are robbing you blind on the other side aka politicians. If no one made a big deal out of words they would mean little.

I don't know, I have no problem at all with referring to someone as a **** or a **** if they deserve it, and nor do most people I know of my age. The notion that 'you can't say anything nowadays' is absolute nonsense. Racist, sexist, homophobic, etc terms, however, are a totally different matter, for only a deeply unpleasant person ever feels the need to employ them.

Brown, Jon Brow
4th April 2010, 11:35

:up:

I cringed a little bit when I read that word. http://board.muse.mu/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

Captain VXR
4th April 2010, 21:08
Fousto - instead of an Easter egg I'm giving you this:
http://freethesaurus.net/

Roamy
5th April 2010, 05:23
thanks captain but I have a problem with it already !

Your search - raghead - did not match any main entries in our database.

see it is obviously not up to date!!

Mark in Oshawa
5th April 2010, 23:44
Has any adult ever been killed by a coyote? A wolf maybe but a coyote?
Coyotes are about the size of a media sized dog(3-40 lbs) and are very skittish and shy around humans.

Apparently a woman in Nova Scotia was killed by a Coyote last fall. I didn't buy it, but the game wardens and people in the know about what is there said it was a coyote, NOT a wolf.

As for Russians going after the "Terrorists" I do hope they leave the innocent joe on the streets of Grozny out of this next butt whupping they are likely to want to dish out..but I doubt it. The Russians specialize in overreacting...yet it seems only the Americans are criticized for it...

Eki
6th April 2010, 06:10
Apparently a woman in Nova Scotia was killed by a Coyote last fall. I didn't buy it, but the game wardens and people in the know about what is there said it was a coyote, NOT a wolf.

As for Russians going after the "Terrorists" I do hope they leave the innocent joe on the streets of Grozny out of this next butt whupping they are likely to want to dish out..but I doubt it. The Russians specialize in overreacting...yet it seems only the Americans are criticized for it...
No, Israelis are criticized for it too, so were the Nazis and Saddam Hussein.

Captain VXR
6th April 2010, 18:33
thanks captain but I have a problem with it already !

Your search - raghead - did not match any main entries in our database.

see it is obviously not up to date!!

try
http://www.urbandictionary.com

Roamy
7th April 2010, 15:08
Now this seems to be a very current and proper dictionary
Thanks Captain!!!

Captain VXR
8th April 2010, 21:35
No worries Fousto