PDA

View Full Version : Title Contenders in 2010

jens
29th March 2010, 12:35
Could start discussing about the outlooks, weaknesses and strengths of front-runners already after two races.

Ferrari is clearly in a good position and based on two races so far it can be said that especially with Alonso they have united all factors that are needed to win the crown: pace for outright wins, reliability, consistency and one more additional feature that has been missing in previous years at Ferrari: strategy. It gives quite high demands for anyone, who is willing to beat them and clinch the title. But it's also interesting to compare Alonso's performances with Räikkönen's first Ferrari season - so far 1st/4th and 1st/3rd respectively.

Massa has seemed slightly inferior to Alonso so far and his result in Oz seemed a bit of an anomaly - on podium despite struggling all weekend. But Massa is an interesting case of a driver and I seriously think that he has not yielded yet. From what I have gathered from previous years, it usually takes him a bit of time to come to grips with a new season and new rules. Let's recall the beginning of 2008, when he was completely written off. The start of 2007 was a bit clumsy too with mistakes in Malaysia before coming back strong. And he seemed constantly improving in 2009. Massa's co-operation with Smedley is often brought out and is quite a specific one - to me it looks like they haven't managed to fully adapt to the new rules yet and are currently doing damage limitation in terms of points accumulation. But once they do, we could see a lot more from Felipe.

Regarding McLaren I've to say that their situation looks promising, because for the second race in a row they have shown that their race pace is quite impressive. Something needs to be done with qualifying, because they can't keep giving advantage away there forever. Also McLaren's in-season development pace could be the best of all, at least past seasons have shown that (also in comparison with Ferrari). So they are well in the game, while after the qualifying for the Bahrain Grand Prix there could have been fears about being too far behind.

And the third front-runner Red Bull... Although there have been suspicions about their development pace, I think their car will be a front-runner in terms of pace pretty much all season, even if they are not going to be capable of leading races everywhere. In the beginning of '09 Vettel was caught with a bit of a surprise, because he surely didn't expect to be a title contender and as a result threw points away without looking, what would it mean in the long-run. By now he has studied the "all-season perspective", but unless RBR is going to be a reliable machine right from the next race onwards (in 2000 Häkkinen retired from the first two races, but after that he had to wait until US to retire again!), it could be an overwhelming task for him to catch the leaders. As well as for RBR in constructors.

F1boat
29th March 2010, 14:09
Very good analysis. I agree completely. My opinion is that it is between these three teams, although Mercedes and Renault may compete for a surprise win.

ioan
29th March 2010, 17:35
Could start discussing about the outlooks, weaknesses and strengths of front-runners already after two races.

Ferrari is clearly in a good position and based on two races so far it can be said that especially with Alonso they have united all factors that are needed to win the crown: pace for outright wins, reliability, consistency and one more additional feature that has been missing in previous years at Ferrari: strategy. It gives quite high demands for anyone, who is willing to beat them and clinch the title. But it's also interesting to compare Alonso's performances with Räikkönen's first Ferrari season - so far 1st/4th and 1st/3rd respectively.

Massa has seemed slightly inferior to Alonso so far and his result in Oz seemed a bit of an anomaly - on podium despite struggling all weekend. But Massa is an interesting case of a driver and I seriously think that he has not yielded yet. From what I have gathered from previous years, it usually takes him a bit of time to come to grips with a new season and new rules. Let's recall the beginning of 2008, when he was completely written off. The start of 2007 was a bit clumsy too with mistakes in Malaysia before coming back strong. And he seemed constantly improving in 2009. Massa's co-operation with Smedley is often brought out and is quite a specific one - to me it looks like they haven't managed to fully adapt to the new rules yet and are currently doing damage limitation in terms of points accumulation. But once they do, we could see a lot more from Felipe.

Regarding McLaren I've to say that their situation looks promising, because for the second race in a row they have shown that their race pace is quite impressive. Something needs to be done with qualifying, because they can't keep giving advantage away there forever. Also McLaren's in-season development pace could be the best of all, at least past seasons have shown that (also in comparison with Ferrari). So they are well in the game, while after the qualifying for the Bahrain Grand Prix there could have been fears about being too far behind.

And the third front-runner Red Bull... Although there have been suspicions about their development pace, I think their car will be a front-runner in terms of pace pretty much all season, even if they are not going to be capable of leading races everywhere. In the beginning of '09 Vettel was caught with a bit of a surprise, because he surely didn't expect to be a title contender and as a result threw points away without looking, what would it mean in the long-run. By now he has studied the "all-season perspective", but unless RBR is going to be a reliable machine right from the next race onwards (in 2000 Häkkinen retired from the first two races, but after that he had to wait until US to retire again!), it could be an overwhelming task for him to catch the leaders. As well as for RBR in constructors.

You could make a career in F1 journalism.

Retro Formula 1
29th March 2010, 17:37
Vettel will win the championship unless the McLaren pace improves.

jens
29th March 2010, 21:13
You could make a career in F1 journalism.

Thanks. :)

Sleeper
30th March 2010, 02:45
Judging by the first two races, I'd say it will definitely be between Vettel and the two Ferrari drivers. Vettel in the RBR is the fastest thing out there at the moment, and things ant go wrong every race can they? Ferrari might have a slight pace deficit but its at most 0.1s, so very close between them. McLaren need to find a small amunt of pace to join them for certain, and I reckon both Hamilton and Button could be in there. Webber is able to run at the kind of pace that we see from Vettel, but he doesnt look comfortable pushing himself that hard all the time, and so we see too many mistakes from him. Mercedes are too far off the pace at the moment, and though I expect they will get there, by the time they do it will be as a major headache for the title contenders, rather than contenders themselves.

jens
4th April 2010, 11:52
I must admit that I got that Ferrari and strategy part a bit wrong in the original post. :p : But Vettel must be relieved - Ferrari and McLaren have had an inconsistent start into the season as well, so everything is still wide open. Also we have Rosberg and Kubica driving consistently and scoring good points - who knows, maybe they could stay in the game for some time like Frentzen did in '99 or Kubica in '08.

steveaki13
4th April 2010, 11:55
It depends alot on the reliability of Red Bull.

But if you look at it Vettel could have won all 3 races. If he can continue with this pace all season he must be favourite.

ozrevhead
4th April 2010, 12:09
It depends alot on the reliability of Red Bull.

But if you look at it Vettel could have won all 3 races. If he can continue with this pace all season he must be favourite.
yep

If Red Bull puts their reliablity issues behind Vettel will run away with it

Ranger
4th April 2010, 12:20
The new points system closes everything up considerably. Can't choose a winner but Vettel looks the goods.

jens
16th May 2010, 20:48
Time for a new overview of the situation.

Quite incredible that even after six races the whole Top8 are still within less than one race win in terms of points (from 78 to 56). I can't remember anything like that from the past. Top contenders have all had their setbacks so far, but who is capable of forcing their authority in the future? Who out of that Big Eight is going to win?

I can't help but feel that Rosberg and Kubica are just barely staying in touch with the leaders and won't play a significant role in the closing stages of the season. Main reason being the car, which - with the exception of some very suitable circuits - is on most occasions capable of mid-level points. And I don't quite see MB and Renault overhauling Top3 teams in development race either.

Massa needs to improve his game. At the moment he isn't losing much (-17 pts), but with current pace he's gonna drop further behind. Whether he can actually find his old self, is an unanswered question. Button needs to find extra tenths as well, because most races are "ordinary", not messy. Alonso has had some good damage limitations races, but he can't keep relying on them endlessly.

Hamilton's season has been a bit low-key - he has had the speed and fighting spirit as usual, but remarkable results haven't come yet. Also the bad news is that McLaren isn't quite as reliable as they seemed to be earlier. McLaren's car is "good", but not spectacular and needs to find an extra gear to have a good shot at the titles.

And finally we have Red Bulls, who pace-wise have actually increased their advantage in the European season and as a result have also taken the WCC lead. Are they going to run away into the distance now or will further misfortunes enable others to stay in the title race? Can Webber put in a consistent season for a WDC? Last year he looked good for a title-challenge until mid-season before fading off. Can Vettel efficiently bounce back from a bit of a disappointing start into the season?

rohanweb
16th May 2010, 22:10
Nope the bulls are running faraway and its very hard for the rest to catchup,
Mclaren have no chance this year, they cant quali well, they are not that good during the race either..just fading away in to the middle pack clutches..aww the engine failure, since Martin Whitmarsh taken over the office its all looks load of bullsh*t at mclaren, sorry for Lewis that he is pushing that damn cart left and right to maintain some momentum , it seems mclaren lost some touch with development of the car, second off a lap agaisnt redbull is a slap on the face of mclaren, nuff said

F1boat
17th May 2010, 07:11
I think that we must say congratulations to Mr. Newey. His designs are amazing.