PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Hamilton booked for speeding in Melbourne

Shirt Hunter
26th March 2010, 12:13
Word has it he had been booked, for "hooning" in Melbourne tonight.

Vehicle has been impound by Victorian Police..

More soon...

Dave B
26th March 2010, 12:53
Who does he think he is? Stirling Moss?

Chev_350
26th March 2010, 13:29
Wooops

Police impound Lewis Hamilton's car near Grand Prix site

* March 26, 2010 10:41PM

FORMER Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton was caught hoon driving and had his car impounded tonight.

The English McLaren driver did a burnout and a fishtail along Lakeside Drive in front of a Victoria Police divisional van that pulled him over.

Hamilton, who was visibly upset, had his car towed away and impounded and will also receive a fine.

It is understood he told policemen at the scene that he was worried this would dent his reputation.

The Herald Sun understands that he was not taken back the police station for questioning.

The incident happened between 9.30 pm and 10 pm tonight.

In 2007, Hamilton was banned from driving in France after being clocked driving at 123mp/h (around 200km/h).

He was given an on-the-fine and his sports car was impounded by French police.

555-04Q2
26th March 2010, 13:35
Young, dum and full of c..

Dave B
26th March 2010, 13:41
@LeeMcKenzieF1 Lewis hamilton sent out statement that tonight he was stopped by police for driving in "over exuberant manner" and apologises.

He just can't stay out of trouble down under, can he? :\

EuroTroll
26th March 2010, 13:47
"It is understood he told policemen at the scene that he was worried this would dent his reputation."

His reputation as what..? As a good role model for the kids? :D

Dave B
26th March 2010, 13:50
Rumours that he slowed down to let Jarno Trulli overtake him were wide of the mark... :p

Daika
26th March 2010, 14:16
What is hooning?

Dave B
26th March 2010, 14:19
Acting like Geoff Hoon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Hoon), one of our more idiotic politicians :p

Daika
26th March 2010, 14:21
Acting like Geoff Hoon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Hoon), one of our more idiotic politicians :p

No that would be Gordon Brown, nobody elected him but somehow ended up being the prime minister. Good point about Hooning.

555-04Q2
26th March 2010, 14:22
To quote from Forrest Gump:

"Stupid is as stupid does, ma'am".

555-04Q2
26th March 2010, 14:24

We've got plently of dumbass politicians over here. If you need a few more, we'll send some over your way :p :

Rudy Tamasz
26th March 2010, 15:08
If I were LH, I would issue a public statement making a point that the way I drive my car is nobody's effing business but mine and police's. I'm a public person when I drive my McLaren. Other than that stay away from my privacy.

The problem is I'm not LH.

Dave B
26th March 2010, 15:43
If I were LH, I would issue a public statement making a point that the way I drive my car is nobody's effing business but mine and police's. I'm a public person when I drive my McLaren. Other than that stay away from my privacy.

Fair enough but for the minor point that it was a public highway. If you choose to drive on public roads, you obey the laws and have no right to privacy if you breach them.

If he wants to drive like a moron he's rich enough to hire a circuit for a private trackday and drive however the hell he likes.

Big Ben
26th March 2010, 15:50

Wrong. The way one drives on a public road is a public business.

Rudy Tamasz
26th March 2010, 15:53
Fair enough but for the minor point that it was a public highway. If you choose to drive on public roads, you obey the laws and have no right to privacy if you breach them.

If he wants to drive like a moron he's rich enough to hire a circuit for a private trackday and drive however the hell he likes.

Fair enough. But read my post more carefully: "the way I drive my car is nobody's effing business but mine and police's".

BeansBeansBeans
26th March 2010, 15:59
Fair enough. But read my post more carefully: "the way I drive my car is nobody's effing business but mine and police's".

That isn't how it works. If you or I were to commit a motoring offence, the press would be free to publish the details and the public would be free to read about them.

The only difference is that in our case the press or public wouldn't care.

Dave B
26th March 2010, 16:02
I had no problem reading your post, thanks. I just disagree that it's a private matter. Lewis broke the law on a public highway and shouldn't expect it to be kept secret. And that's before one considers that he's a high-profile celebrity and sportsman.

UltimateDanGTR
26th March 2010, 16:22
good old Lewis, fast and relaxed but a bit of a c*ck :D

so, what do you reckon he's gonna do stupid next year in oz then?

EuroTroll
26th March 2010, 16:59
good old Lewis, fast and relaxed but a bit of a c*ck :D

so, what do you reckon he's gonna do stupid next year in oz then?

Have unprotected sex with Mark Webber's sister and consequently miss the race due to a broken nose.

I hope. That would be a lot more interesting than this!

AndyL
26th March 2010, 17:23
Pretty sure this is actually Dave Ryan's fault, apparently he borrowed Lewis's Merc and turned the traction control off ;)

ioan
26th March 2010, 19:48
@LeeMcKenzieF1 Lewis hamilton sent out statement that tonight he was stopped by police for driving in "over exuberant manner" and apologises.

He just can't stay out of trouble down under, can he? :\

He's just a kid who still believes that you can do stupid and dangerous things and then all you need is to apologize to mum.

Daniel
26th March 2010, 20:24
This is going to seem funny coming from me but I don't see the big fuss tbh. Sure he may have been doing a burnout or two

You people might not want to watch this video :) Especially the last minute or two of it ;)
http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/planetevovideos/249334/francois_delecour_drives_the_gt3_rs.html

If this happened in Italy the police would probably be there egging him on and there wouldn't be a thread here. Fair enough he's in trouble and his car got impounded, that's the law but lets not blow this up to be any bigger than it is ;)

BDunnell
26th March 2010, 20:40
Let's face it, many a great F1 driver has driven irresponsibly on the public road — Senna and Gilles Villeneuve spring to mind as examples where there are notable accounts of their driving. But this doesn't condone it, no matter who it is.

Shifter
26th March 2010, 21:04
a pretty big non-story here. my only comment is keep it off city streets, I 'hoon' around a bit myself but never inside town limits.

driveace
26th March 2010, 21:09
Is there a slight possibility that the Melbourne Police see this young b**** kid in a new sporty Mercedes Benz and think,has he knicked it,lets stop him and ask questions.Oops we have struck gold,lets get a name for ourselves.

gloomyDAY
26th March 2010, 21:12
Rule #1: Don't get caught.

edv
26th March 2010, 22:25
Hehe Reminds of this story from 3 years ago..

Three-time Formula One champion Nelson Piquet began taking a driving education course on Monday in Brazil after having his license revoked for racking up too many traffic violations, local media reported.

Piquet, one of just three Brazilians to win the Formula One world championship, lost his license in June after receiving a slew of speeding and parking tickets. His wife, Viviane, also had her license taken away for bad driving and joined her husband in the mandatory driver awareness course.

ioan
26th March 2010, 22:30
They have laws down under and he broke them. It's good to see that police doesn't give a damn if he is Joe or Lewis Hamilton and treated him according to the rules.

We all overstep it every now and then and when we are caught we have to pay the fines, I don't see why it should be different for Hamilton or why we should be trying to excuse his mistakes.

Valve Bounce
26th March 2010, 22:31

The whole point here is that he was behaving in an unlawful manner in a public place, and this became a matter of public interest. That's how things are in the non-Communist world.

Valve Bounce
26th March 2010, 22:37
They have laws down under and he broke them. It's good to see that police doesn't give a damn if he is Joe or Lewis Hamilton and treated him according to the rules.

We all overstep it every now and then and when we are caught we have to pay the fines, I don't see why it should be different for Hamilton or why we should be trying to excuse his mistakes.

The place this happened was very close to where a motorcyclist was killed on his way to the GP in the morning. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/st-kilda-rd-closed-to-citybound-traffic-after-fatal-crash/story-e6frf7jo-1225845993242

I suspect that police were stationed there to ensure that motorists did not drive in a dangerous manner when leaving Albert Park.

Like Gloomy Day mentioned, Lewis forgot about Rule #1.

BDunnell
26th March 2010, 22:38

ioan, for once, I couldn't agree more. Although I can't help but wonder what your reaction would have been had Massa been behind the wheel.

Valve Bounce
26th March 2010, 22:47
ioan, for once, I couldn't agree more. Although I can't help but wonder what your reaction would have been had Massa been behind the wheel.

OK! here's a feel good story for you guys: SchM posed with 6 years old Jacob for a photo - he put his hand on the little guys shoulder for the pic. I bet the little guy will remember his Oz GP; he will be the envy of every kid at school next term.

Retro Formula 1
26th March 2010, 22:50
You lot need a boot up your ass.

Shock - Horror!!! - A F1 driver showed off a bit and done a burnout.

Good for him!!!!!!!!

Perhaps if F1 races were as interesting..............................

ioan
26th March 2010, 22:57

I propose we wait and see what I say when this happens to Massa! ;)

BDunnell
26th March 2010, 22:58
I propose we wait and see what I say when this happens to Massa! ;)

Fair enough!

ioan
26th March 2010, 23:00

Good for him!!!!!!!!

What the heck is interesting in doing a burnout?! :rolleyes:
Especially for a race driver!

I never got the whole idea behind showing off either.

BDunnell
26th March 2010, 23:00

Good for him!!!!!!!!

So some 17-year-old doing it in a town centre, or outside your house, is OK?

ioan
26th March 2010, 23:01
Fair enough!

I am starting to be slightly scared now that we agreed twice in a row! ;)

BDunnell
26th March 2010, 23:02
I am starting to be slightly scared now that we agreed twice in a row! ;)

ioan, when you say something I agree with, I will agree with you rather than disagreeing for the sake of having an argument.

ioan
26th March 2010, 23:06
ioan, when you say something I agree with, I will agree with you rather than disagreeing for the sake of having an argument.

I know, Ben.

edv
27th March 2010, 00:00
When I was 16, my friends & I would do a few burnouts (using a '60 Cadillac DeVille) and wait for someone to call the cops to our little town.

Then the fun would begin :)

Valve Bounce
27th March 2010, 00:05

Good for him!!!!!!!!

It seems the guy feels different about it in hindsight: Hamilton, a former world champion, described his behaviour as "silly'' in a statement issued by McLaren.

"I was driving in an over-exuberant manner and as a result was stopped by the police,'' Hamilton said.

"What I did was silly and I want to apologise for it.''

wedge
27th March 2010, 00:21
Rule #1: Don't get caught.

:up:

wedge
27th March 2010, 01:12
The whole point here is that he was behaving in an unlawful manner in a public place, and this became a matter of public interest. That's how things are in the non-Communist world.

Leading up to the Le Man 24hr there's a parade of cars from the race goers with good natured burnouts and doughnuts particularly on the Mulsanne and a particular campsite (can't remember where exactly except I can't remember the name of the roundabout) has a notorious reputation for hooligan behaviour. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but do the police turn a blind eye?

Bathurst has a similar problem doesn't it? I remember reading about Aussie Rednecks (or whatever you call them Neanderthals down under) dropping a can of oil on local roads just so a mob can do burnouts.

Valve Bounce
27th March 2010, 01:56
Leading up to the Le Man 24hr there's a parade of cars from the race goers with good natured burnouts and doughnuts particularly on the Mulsanne and a particular campsite (can't remember where exactly except I can't remember the name of the roundabout) has a notorious reputation for hooligan behaviour. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but do the police turn a blind eye?

Bathurst has a similar problem doesn't it? I remember reading about Aussie Rednecks (or whatever you call them Neanderthals down under) dropping a can of oil on local roads just so a mob can do burnouts.

As I mentioned above, this happened where a motorcyclist was killed on the way to the GP, and it is quite possible a police van was stationed there to ensure that spectators leaving Albert Park would not get killed in another accident.

Anyway, the guy said he's sorry, so the matter appears to be closed. He'll pay a small fine, some schmuck will have his car returned after 48 hours for a fee and that's it.

CNR
27th March 2010, 02:10
i may buy a cheap car

April 29th, 2009

HOON drivers could have their confiscated cars sold or crushed into cubes, under new laws passed last night.
But drivers can escape punishment if they prove it would cause "severe financial or physical hardship".
The law will also not apply if the car is a rental, stolen or being driven without the permission of the owner - allowing parents to argue they did not know their child had taken the car.

Valve Bounce
27th March 2010, 02:14
i may buy a cheap car

April 29th, 2009

HOON drivers could have their confiscated cars sold or crushed into cubes, under new laws passed last night.
But drivers can escape punishment if they prove it would cause "severe financial or physical hardship".
The law will also not apply if the car is a rental, stolen or being driven without the permission of the owner - allowing parents to argue they did not know their child had taken the car.

OK! so you are going to buy a cube? :D :rotflmao:

Sorry, the devil made me do it. :(

CNR
27th March 2010, 02:20
OK! so you are going to buy a cube? :D :rotflmao:

ART
if lewis is as good as they say art may be worth a fortune in a few years

ioan
27th March 2010, 08:49
i may buy a cheap car

April 29th, 2009

The law will not apply in this case.

27th March 2010, 10:11
In itself, it is a bit of a non-event, but given that his last lot of Australian GP headlines were not the highlight of his career you might have thought he'd have shown a bit more sense and kept a lower profile this year.

Malbec
27th March 2010, 10:27

We don't know the actual circumstances involved do we? Did he drive aggressively away because there were hostile fans? Were there cars alongside him that he thought were threatening in some way? Or did he just want to put on a show for the boys who'd come to see free practice?

Even though I don't really like Lewis I don't think its fair to comment on what happened without further information as to what exactly happened.

ioan
27th March 2010, 10:53
We don't know the actual circumstances involved do we? Did he drive aggressively away because there were hostile fans? Were there cars alongside him that he thought were threatening in some way? Or did he just want to put on a show for the boys who'd come to see free practice?

Even though I don't really like Lewis I don't think its fair to comment on what happened without further information as to what exactly happened.

We certainly didn't see the circumstances, but let's be honest the police car was just behind him and I believe they acted accordingly. And also Lewis made it clear that he was driving in a irresponsible way.

What need is there for you to find excuses when the man himself acknowledged that he did something wrong?

Valve Bounce
27th March 2010, 11:27
The law will not apply in this case.

You think he took Anthony's rental without his permission?

Malbec
27th March 2010, 11:28
We certainly didn't see the circumstances, but let's be honest the police car was just behind him and I believe they acted accordingly. And also Lewis made it clear that he was driving in a irresponsible way.

What need is there for you to find excuses when the man himself acknowledged that he did something wrong?

Lewis will acknowledge he did something wrong whatever happened because that is the best way of reducing criticism and negative publicity for himself, the team and its sponsors. Its basic PR.

Sure, if he was speeding or breaking the law and caught he should be punished but criticising his actions without knowing the circumstances is silly.

Driving is a dynamic activity whereas the law is inflexible. Just claiming that because someone broke the law they drove irresponsibly is wrong (I'm not talking about Lewis, I'm talking about in general). It is entirely context dependent.

Valve Bounce
27th March 2010, 11:33

Just for you: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/formula-one-ace-lewis-hamilton-caught-speeding-car-impounded/story-e6frf7jo-1225846192192

Funny most of us know what happened already. I guess it's been in all the media including Autosport at some stage.

Valve Bounce
27th March 2010, 11:36
Lewis will acknowledge he did something wrong whatever happened because that is the best way of reducing criticism and negative publicity for himself, the team and its sponsors. Its basic PR.

Yeah!! "I didn't slow to let Jarno pass - he just barged on by" It was all his fault - (thinks: too bad if he gets disqualified! Hahaha!!)

Malbec
27th March 2010, 11:49
Just for you: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/formula-one-ace-lewis-hamilton-caught-speeding-car-impounded/story-e6frf7jo-1225846192192

Funny most of us know what happened already. I guess it's been in all the media including Autosport at some stage.

Thank you Valve, that article tells me nothing about the context.

I ask again, was he merely showing off or was there a specific reason he drove so fast? Was he feeling threatened by fans? The word 'burnout' means nothing, did he smoke his rubbers a bit as he moved off or did he do the full shebang?

This is the problem with making a judgement on other peoples actions via headlines. You don't get the full picture.

Malbec
27th March 2010, 11:55
Yeah!! "I didn't slow to let Jarno pass - he just barged on by" It was all his fault - (thinks: too bad if he gets disqualified! Hahaha!!)

Again you appear to be having difficulties understanding what PR is.

Lewis lied to the stewards. He didn't lie as part of PR but to keep a place and point that wasn't his.

He was found out. This is where PR first got involved.

Result? He took to the FIA interview room to make a long rambling apology accepting partial blame (while palming most of it off to someone else). That was part of damage limitation, ie the PR game.

Valve Bounce
27th March 2010, 12:02
Thank you Valve, that article tells me nothing about the context.

I ask again, was he merely showing off or was there a specific reason he drove so fast? Was he feeling threatened by fans? The word 'burnout' means nothing, did he smoke his rubbers a bit as he moved off or did he do the full shebang?

This is the problem with making a judgement on other peoples actions via headlines. You don't get the full picture.

Just for you. You know, I wouldn't do this for anyone else!! ;)
http://www.news.com.au/national/formula-one-ace-lewis-hamilton-has-car-impounded-under-anti-hoon-laws/story-e6frfkvr-1225846209403?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+news_rss

Valve Bounce
27th March 2010, 12:04
Again you appear to be having difficulties understanding what PR is.

Lewis lied to the stewards. He didn't lie as part of PR but to keep a place and point that wasn't his.

He was found out. This is where PR first got involved.

Result? He took to the FIA interview room to make a long rambling apology accepting partial blame (while palming most of it off to someone else). That was part of damage limitation, ie the PR game.

Did you read the first 9 words of your post? like "Lewis will acknowledge he did something wrong whatever happened...."

Well, I used to also, like :"No Mum! it wasn't me; it was John's fault - he did it! it wasn't me!!"

Just to clarify, my brother's name was John.

Malbec
27th March 2010, 12:09
Just for you. You know, I wouldn't do this for anyone else!! ;)
http://www.news.com.au/national/formula-one-ace-lewis-hamilton-has-car-impounded-under-anti-hoon-laws/story-e6frfkvr-1225846209403?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+news_rss

I'm touched....

But the new article tells me nothing new.

So far there are only a few facts given in those articles. Surprisingly few given how many people must have witnessed what happened.

We have the driver, the car, the location and the time. We also have the charge. What is missing is still the context. Was he showing off or was there a valid reason for speeding off?

Again we have a very slick set of PR messages from Lewis and a McLaren bod designed to minimise the damage rather than explain what happened.

I couldn't care less about Lewis and what he actually did, IMO he probably WAS showing off but its the attitude of many here who seem rather too keen to jump to conclusions based on the limited facts available and the spin given to it by a newspaper keen to get sales and a driver/team keen to minimise any potential damage.

Malbec
27th March 2010, 12:13
Did you read the first 9 words of your post? like "Lewis will acknowledge he did something wrong whatever happened...."

Ok valve you really don't understand what PR is.

As I explained, when Lewis lied to the stewards it wasn't PR. He lied because he thought he could get away with it and get some points. Getting found out caused a PR problem, thats when PR starts, not before. Do you understand?

Was Lewis driving recklessly in Melbourne because of PR? No. Was he charged with driving recklessly? Yes. Could that cause negative publicity? Yes. Again this is the point where PR gets involved, not before. Do you understand?

CNR
27th March 2010, 12:47
http://www.australiannews.net/story/616675

QUOTE]Holding further said that Hamilton would be charged on summons and could face further penalties from the Grand Prix authorities or his McLaren team.
[/QUOTE]

He also said that the scandal sends out a bad message to youngsters who see Hamilton as a role model

http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/roadsafety/Safer_behaviours/driving_with_attitude

Hoon driving causes a vehicle to travel at very high speed or in a manner that produces burnouts and doughnuts. Dangerous driving, careless driving, failure to have proper control of the vehicle and causing the vehicle to make excessive noise or smoke are also considered hoon-related offences if they are committed in circumstances involving the improper use of a motor vehicle.

CNR
27th March 2010, 12:53
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/27/2857749.htm?section=justin

Police say the McLaren star was turning into Fitzroy Street at around 9:15pm (AEDT) when he "deliberately lost traction of his wheels".

BDunnell
27th March 2010, 17:15
Ok valve you really don't understand what PR is.

As I explained, when Lewis lied to the stewards it wasn't PR. He lied because he thought he could get away with it and get some points. Getting found out caused a PR problem, thats when PR starts, not before. Do you understand?

Was Lewis driving recklessly in Melbourne because of PR? No. Was he charged with driving recklessly? Yes. Could that cause negative publicity? Yes. Again this is the point where PR gets involved, not before. Do you understand?

And this is also the point where PR becomes deeply counterproductive, for when an individual who, as a result of PR, comes across as being little other than exceptionally bland does something that goes against this, the attention it receives is bound to attract more attention.

truefan72
27th March 2010, 18:01
wow 4 pages about a traffic ticket
:|

truefan72
27th March 2010, 19:01
Lets not start trying to compare this latest incident with the events of last years Australian GP, its not relevent IMO.

Lewis has been a silly boy and has been caught out by the law. He has not made any excuses for his behaviour and has accepted the outcome. We don't need to over analyse this to find a viable excuse because there is none.

Alonso was captured on the same night sprinting between lights in a Ferrari soft top. If you combine young rich men, a sports car, and a fantastic city like Melbourne with an arena to show off, you'll get silliness. Simple as that. :)

:up:

27th March 2010, 19:24
The Mclarenistas just can't help themselves.

There's always an excuse for them.

Next they'll be wanting to "move on" from the incident.

Triumph
27th March 2010, 19:40
They interviewed Stirling Moss about this incident and he said he would have done the same, which I thought was quite amusing.

Stirling also got himself into trouble many years ago for his driving whilst on his way into a Thruxton race meeting. He ended up in court over that, so maybe he was thinking back to his younger days when asked about Lewis. :-)

truefan72
27th March 2010, 20:27
The Mclarenistas just can't help themselves.

There's always an excuse for them.

Next they'll be wanting to "move on" from the incident.

yes lets move on.

SGWilko
27th March 2010, 20:44
yes lets move on.

'cos it's time to grove on......

SGWilko
27th March 2010, 20:50
You know, this thread subject reminded me of when I was young, I used to work as a Domestic at the local hospital part time to earn my beer money.

Anyway, there was this very steep hill next to the WI cafe, and at the time, I was a new driver and my father was foolish enough to let me use his automatic Cavalier.

For a laugh, with my work mates egging me on, I rolled the car down the hill backwards in neutral, got a decent bit of momentum, flicked it into D and floored the sucker - wow, what a sound, sight and smell - fantastic.

All I ask is why was it not in the news at the time, and why weren't people on a forum suggesting I was an escaped patient from the nutty ward????

27th March 2010, 20:52
'cos it's time to grove on......

Hear the drummer, get wicked!

Not every aero bloke was a dork in the early 90s, you know.

PS - Didn't know Chad Jackson was a member of the forum.

Not surprised he's a Mclaren fan though, since he "sampled" back in the day too, although it was only the 900 Number and not a 780 page document.

27th March 2010, 20:59
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ha%C3%A7ienda

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelley%27s_Laserdome

Mispent my youth away from the track.

Big Ben
27th March 2010, 21:06
All I ask is why was it not in the news at the time, and why weren't people on a forum suggesting I was an escaped patient from the nutty ward????

I donīt know... they hadnīt invented the internet yet? If it make you feel better you are an escaped patient from the nutty ward.

SGWilko
27th March 2010, 21:11
I donīt know... they hadnīt invented the internet yet? If it make you feel better you are an escaped patient from the nutty ward.

Now you mention it, I am partial to Chianti and fava beans.......

Although I havn't eaten my wife yet.

Oh, I need to be careful here, Finbar Saunders and all that, phnar phnar!!!!!!!

Big Ben
27th March 2010, 21:53
Now you mention it, I am partial to Chianti and fava beans.......

Although I havn't eaten my wife yet.

Oh, I need to be careful here, Finbar Saunders and all that, phnar phnar!!!!!!!

ok... I didn't understand a thing

Pulidor
27th March 2010, 23:36
Come on people, cut the guys some slack!!
Law is there to do the job if necessary, not you or me.

BobbyC
29th March 2010, 01:34
Sorry, Lewis, but no John Force impersonations allowed in Melbourne.

And I used the blogosphere to comment on it. A close friend is a dancer and inspired by the Bristol saloon event last week where drivers used their own entrance music, I said he needed a song my friend choreographed a number a few years ago to be his entrance music. It's time to "Call the Law" on this hoon.

http://hadleyblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/call-law-on-lewis-again.html

Daika
29th March 2010, 12:13
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8592317.stm

I find this hilarious

Earlier this month, Hamilton insisted there would be no "wild side" to his character emerging following his decision that his father Anthony should no longer manage his career.
"I don't think so," Hamilton remarked at the time. "I am who I am. I don't think anybody has stopped me from being who I wanted to be.
"When I arrived in the sport, I didn't go out and buy a million different cars, I took my time.
"Maybe I might buy one car this year, who knows. But that's not being wild.
"I've still got the same girl, I race for the same team and I've still the same dedication and determination."

I'm more normal than Hamilton i guess, not owning more than 1 car. You know when people are out of touch. Good for Hamilton that he got loads of money but don't bring up examples on how you spend it.

CNR
22nd May 2010, 13:43
A court date has been set for August 24 to hear Hamilton's case, but last night it was not clear if he would fly to Australia to contest the charge.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/lewis-hamilton-charged-after-hoon-driving/story-e6frf7jo-1225869991938

Tazio
22nd May 2010, 16:30
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/lewis-hamilton-charged-after-hoon-driving/story-e6frf7jo-1225869991938

He is due in Europe for the Belgian Grand Prix from August 27-29.
Penny Martin, whose 17-year-old son Josh died at the hands of a reckless driver, was pleased Hamilton had been charged.
"He has to follow very strict rules and guidelines on the track and he does follow them," she said. "It's good he has to face up to the charges."
Ms Martin said F1 bosses should also penalise Hamilton for being a poor role model by deducting championship points or relegating him on the starting grid if he is convicted.
"He has to follow very strict rules and guidelines on the track and he does follow them She is obviously a McL' fan or not very well informed :p

This is actually quite amusing. I understand what it is like having a son killed (or crippled) by a car accident, so I can sympathize with the mother of the 17-year-old killed.
However, this is why you and I don’t go to other countries and ignore the law of their institutions.
Lewis will pay Australian attorneys half of what I make in a year. There will be other consequences. Bernie will make a public statement after Lewis pays out a little hush money.
It will empower the elements around the facility that are not into really loud noise making, and unnecessary traffic snarls’. I am not bashing Lewis. I did much worse when I was his age, but never in Mexico where we used to surf (and party) regularly. I know a couple people that went to “La Mesa” prison, and their real crime was not having over $20 dollars to pay a federale to look the other way. The recounts of their experience were not pleasant. The Mexican authorities would not beat the living hell out of an American. But if a Mexican also participating in this offense, He got the living B-Jesus beat out of him. In case anyone is wondering they have law enforcement in Mexico. But it is corrupt as hell.
Lewis (or anyone else as high profile as him), makes too much money, and has too much celebrity to go giving do-gooders any more ammunition than they already have.
25 years ago it was simply mischief. Now it is something akin to terrorism.

Bradley
23rd May 2010, 08:19
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10143347.stm

Another link about this.

I almost can not believe it. I'm not a Hamilton fan, but this is a joke.

Being 45 years old, I've known other times and they are not so long ago.

The phrase "He was charged with intentionally losing control of a vehicle." gives me the feeling that I'm in a 1984 big brother movie. It also gives me a bad feeling about the future.

Fortunately, this "nanny state behaviour" (as Mark Webber called it so well) appears to be limited to Australia.

ShiftingGears
23rd May 2010, 09:04
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10143347.stm

Another link about this.

I almost can not believe it. I'm not a Hamilton fan, but this is a joke.

Being 45 years old, I've known other times and they are not so long ago.

The phrase "He was charged with intentionally losing control of a vehicle." gives me the feeling that I'm in a 1984 big brother movie. It also gives me a bad feeling about the future.

Fortunately, this "nanny state behaviour" (as Mark Webber called it so well) appears to be limited to Australia.

Victoria is the worst state for it. I mean - it was a burnout. A slap on the wrist, a fine and that should be the end of that.

Mia 01
23rd May 2010, 10:27
Lewis raced Seb in the pits, risked other humans lifes. No penalty.

His burnout, ba, that was nothing. But laws are laws and have to be obeyed.

Fine him a couple of millions and give the money to poor children.

Hawkmoon
23rd May 2010, 10:27
"He was charged with intentionally losing control of a vehicle."

The funny part about this statement is that no matter how sideways he got he was probably still in total control of the car. He's an F1 world champion for god's sake, a little tail-out burnout is well within his car control limits!

Daika
23rd May 2010, 12:06

The funny part about this statement is that no matter how sideways he got he was probably still in total control of the car. He's an F1 world champion for god's sake, a little tail-out burnout is well within his car control limits!

That besides the point. Most people who break the law are in control of what they are doing only it isn't legal. Having said that i don;t know what the fuzz is all about.

Ranger
23rd May 2010, 12:32
In NSW he'd get a fine and 1 or 2 demerit points or a driving ban, and rightly so for being a twat.

Being sent to court for this sort of tomfoolery is a bit extreme, no?

Bagwan
23rd May 2010, 12:33

Well , Lewis obviously needs to attend this hearing , so he can use this as his defence .

"As you can see from this demonstration our judge has requested , Lewis has signed his name in rubber in the front parking lot here , and although he didn't get the dot perfectly centered over the "i" in "Hamilton" , it must be noted that the lot was full , and there was a baby stroller in the way ."

Bradley
23rd May 2010, 15:51
Well , Lewis obviously needs to attend this hearing , so he can use this as his defence .

"As you can see from this demonstration our judge has requested , Lewis has signed his name in rubber in the front parking lot here , and although he didn't get the dot perfectly centered over the "i" in "Hamilton" , it must be noted that the lot was full , and there was a baby stroller in the way ."

:D

Saint Devote
23rd May 2010, 17:12
Lewis being charged?!

I have never witnessed something so stupid and pathetic! Lewis is the nearest we have to Gilles Villeneuve these days and he was just doing what comes naturally.

I shudder to live in such a society.

Dear Lewis,
We would love to have you vist in Israel, where you could do as many burnouts as you want without Mr. Plod and the dour 21st century resenting you.

"Love"
A Jenson Supporter!

Poor old Lewis, he is now forced to act all contrite, make endless apologies and be made out as if he is some sort of miscreant.

Disgraceful. Are there no brave Australian souls that will speak out against this?

Saint Devote
23rd May 2010, 17:16
Lewis raced Seb in the pits, risked other humans lifes. No penalty.

His burnout, ba, that was nothing. But laws are laws and have to be obeyed.

Fine him a couple of millions and give the money to poor children.

Laws are Laws and most certainly do not HAVE to be obeyed - unless the people are raised as unthinking robots!

Stealing his millions and giving it to "poor children" is quintessentially the ends justifying the means - and THAT is ALWAYS wrong!

Mia 01
23rd May 2010, 18:07
Laws are Laws and most certainly do not HAVE to be obeyed - unless the people are raised as unthinking robots!

Stealing his millions and giving it to "poor children" is quintessentially the ends justifying the means - and THAT is ALWAYS wrong!

You mean like racing Seb in the pits?

Saint Devote
23rd May 2010, 18:56
You mean like racing Seb in the pits?

If you consider THAT unthinking, then you have a great deal to learn about racers and would definitely not liked the f1 of the not so recent past or drivers such as Ronnie Peterson and Gilles Villeneuve.

Shock and horror moment for the "controlazoids" of today:
There was a time when there were no speed limits in the pitlane :eek:

OMG! How could that have been allowed!

Hawkmoon
23rd May 2010, 23:21
That besides the point. Most people who break the law are in control of what they are doing only it isn't legal. Having said that i don;t know what the fuzz is all about.

I know it's beside the point. I just found the name of the charge amusing considering who was behind the wheel.

ShiftingGears
24th May 2010, 09:42
Disgraceful. Are there no brave Australian souls that will speak out against this?

Whilst I do not condone burnouts in streets, getting charged for such an offense is stupid and shows that Victoria's car laws were created by idiots.

Retro Formula 1
24th May 2010, 10:10
Is this the way other drivers are treated in this state or is Lewis being singled out because of who he is?

Laws are laws (and therefore made to be broken) but the way they are applied needs to be consistent also. After all, it's not the FIA is it?

Langdale Forest
24th May 2010, 10:48
Whilst breaking some laws is perfectley acceptable, having a F1 champion doing burnouts on the streets is not acceptable, even if he is an F1 champion.

The laws should apply equally to all people, but some laws are just pointless and everybody breaks them, like it is illegal to eat mice pies at Christmas in the UK, but if that was enforced, everyone would be in jail.

SGWilko
24th May 2010, 11:01
Whilst breaking some laws is perfectley acceptable, having a F1 champion doing burnouts on the streets is not acceptable, even if he is an F1 champion.

The laws should apply equally to all people, but some laws are just pointless and everybody breaks them, like it is illegal to eat mice pies at Christmas in the UK, but if that was enforced, everyone would be in jail.

I only ever put rats in my pies.....

ShiftingGears
24th May 2010, 11:01
Is this the way other drivers are treated in this state or is Lewis being singled out because of who he is?

Whilst I am not a Victorian and therefore don't know their laws regarding this too well, I haven't seen anything to suggest that Hamilton was singled out.

Robinho
24th May 2010, 11:05

actually its perfectly legal to eat mince pies on christmas day, but technically illegal to bake them on christmas day

Langdale Forest
24th May 2010, 11:10
actually its perfectly legal to eat mince pies on christmas day, but technically illegal to bake them on christmas day

But many people break that law because it was made by Oliver Cromwell, a VERY long time ago so those puritant laws are no longer enforced.

Mia 01
24th May 2010, 11:50
Making Laws and rules are rather fun, but they usually have a purpose.

But Iīm sorry to say that you canīt rule all by yourself.

Everybody is welcome to visit our Community. :o

Sonic
24th May 2010, 12:01
Hahahaha! PML! :D

I've only just noticed this story is back on the radar and I have to say I'm sooooo please he's going to get done for this. Racing drivers are a fortunate breed in that they get to rag around in fast cars as their day job - to want to use public highway as the same is just stooooooopid in the highest order.

Alfa Fan
24th May 2010, 14:47
Hopefully he'll have to miss a GP for the court case too. That would be a real punishment.

Mark
24th May 2010, 14:56
It's quite possible that if a local resident did it, they'd be given a stern talking to by the police, and possibly a caution. But remember the eyes of the world are on the Victoria police here, and it has to all be done 'by the book'.

Langdale Forest
24th May 2010, 15:07
Hopefully he'll have to miss a GP for the court case too. That would be a real punishment.

Surley they would arrange the court case around the GPs?

Mark
24th May 2010, 15:09
Surley they would arrange the court case around the GPs?

I don't know about Australian law. But certainly in the UK you don't have to be present at such a hearing, although you are much more likely to be found against if you don't.

And yes, you can make reasonable appeal to have the case heard at a different time, although the most often used concession is to have the case heard at your home location. Of course having an Australian hearing in the UK would be impossible!

CNR
24th May 2010, 15:15
i like this
http://www.planet-f1.com/news/18227/6169886/Hamilton-set-to-get-small-fine-

The McLaren driver has been charged with "intentional loss of control of a motor vehicle" after he performed stunts in his loaned Mercedes on the eve of the Australian GP earlier this year.

Langdale Forest
24th May 2010, 15:28
intentional loss of control of a motor vehicle, it sounds like he was about to become a crash test dummy...

Tazio
24th May 2010, 15:52
"intentional loss of control of a motor vehicle"
This really is an odd sounding law. I think that what "The Boss" did should be illegal. I also think that an auto race is a good place to park for the police, as the chances of catching someone with elevated levels of testosterone driving like Parnelli Jones is very likely. But everywhere I've been this is called "reckless driving" with the punishment being contingent on the result of the offense.
I think this law as stated is ambiguous, hence easier to mount a defense.

Triumph
24th May 2010, 23:13
. . . . . Having said that i don;t know what the fuzz is all about.

Yes, I was wondering about his new 'beard' too! :D

CNR
24th June 2010, 13:55
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/sports/scherzingers-speed-limit-confession-lands-lewis-hamilton-in-trouble_100385356.html

London, June 24 (ANI): Swiss road safety group RoadCross are calling for F1 champ Lewis Hamilton to be banned from roads after his girlfriend Nicole Scherzinger confessed he drove too fast.
The ‘Pussycat Dolls’ singer, 31, recently revealed that the pair often broke speed limits near Hamilton’s Swiss home outside Geneva.

Retro Formula 1
24th June 2010, 14:02
:rolleyes:

I am evil Homer
24th June 2010, 14:13
Ha ha so they have no evidence at all just his girlfriend being a blabber mouth....total non-story

Big Ben
24th June 2010, 14:48
"d*** you woman! you will be the end of me."

Tazio
24th June 2010, 14:57
Ha ha so they have no evidence at all just his girlfriend being a blabber mouth....total non-story

@ Thunderbolt I'm not trying to bust your balls but where in that link is anyone from RoadCross quoted as saying they want The Boss Banned?
This news bite only mentioned what Scherzinger "said" to the "The Sun"

For this reason we are asking for Mr Hamilton to be sanctioned for his driving habits.”
Actually they also have this:

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/politics/Street_racers_must_pay_for_what_they_do.html?cid=1 003016

After an accident involving street racers in which an innocent woman died, the head of a road safety group tells swissinfo that a stronger line is needed.
Roland Wiederkehr, head of RoadCross, says offenders should be made to visit victims in hospital and calls on the government to show more courage in confronting the car industry.
Late on November 8, teenage drivers were racing along roads in canton Solothurn in heavy fog at speeds of up to 100km/h when, trying to overtake each other, they hit an oncoming car.

A 21-year-old woman passenger in that car died, while the driver and another passenger were injured. The driver responsible for the crash and his 19-year-old passenger, were uninjured. The two other racers fled the scene but were stopped a few hours later. :dozey:

And I did find this:

"What we want is for Mr. Hamilton and Nicole Scherzinger to lose their driving permits in Switzerland for a while because of their dangerous driving,” Sabine Jurisch, spokesman for RoadCross in Zurich, told Swisster
http://www.swisster.ch/news/society/swiss-group-applies-yank-hamilton%E2%80%99s-driving-permit.html

and finally this:

The group has collected almost half of the 100,000 signatures required to put its proposals to a national vote.

They call for the automatic cancellation of a driving permit for a minimum of two years and confiscation of vehicles in cases where speeders are involved in serious accidents, among other measures.

SGWilko
24th June 2010, 15:00
@ Thunderbolt I'm not trying to bust your balls but where in that link is anyone from RoadCross quoted as saying they want The Boss Banned?
This news bite only mentioned what Scherzinger "said" to the "The Sun"

Actually they also have this:

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/politics/Street_racers_must_pay_for_what_they_do.html?cid=1 003016

And I did find this:

http://www.swisster.ch/news/society/swiss-group-applies-yank-hamilton%E2%80%99s-driving-permit.html

This part from the above "teenage drivers were racing along roads in canton Solothurn in heavy fog at speeds of up to 100km/h" suggests the teenagers are, perhaps, 'fick tw4ts'.

Tazio
24th June 2010, 15:10
This part from the above "teenage drivers were racing along roads in canton Solothurn in heavy fog at speeds of up to 100km/h" suggests the teenagers are, perhaps, 'fick tw4ts'.

Or in my way of thinking Complete Morons!

ArrowsFA1
24th June 2010, 15:11
The Boss? Banned? For what? Racing in the street?

aXwzG_4cmes

Tazio
24th June 2010, 15:15
@ Thunderbolt On second thought You do need your B@#$% busted!
Once again you have contrived to mislead this forum!
WTF dude?

Tazio
24th June 2010, 15:31
The Boss? Banned? For what? Racing in the street?

I much prefer this vvvvvv

RCvbAllJNR8&feature=related.

Mia 01
24th June 2010, 18:41
The picture is tainted real bad.

But no suprise.

CNR
25th June 2010, 11:37
http://news.google.com.au/news/more?q=f1&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1T4IRFC_enAU374AU375&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dqXrb1cwnakPUyMAhPUK55Kcmk6GM&ei=foIkTIKXBIPBcc_63KoC&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&cd=1&resnum=7&ved=0CGEQqgIoADAGOAo

Triumph
25th June 2010, 13:03
Excellent presentation of a well reasoned and highly substantial news item.

Easy reading for peasants and half-wits.

Tazio
25th June 2010, 13:37
Excellent presentation of a well reasoned and highly substantial news item.

Easy reading for peasants and half-wits.Then would it be safe to assume you understood most of it?

Mia 01
17th July 2010, 13:43
Lewis needs a BIG penalty.

ShiftingGears
17th July 2010, 13:59
Lewis needs a BIG penalty.

I don't see why that would be necessary.

Mia 01
17th July 2010, 14:05
I don't see why that would be necessary.

I wont forgive him for Canada 08.

ShiftingGears
17th July 2010, 14:34
I wont forgive him for Canada 08.

I'm sure he cries himself to sleep over it.

Mia 01
17th July 2010, 18:28
I'm sure he cries himself to sleep over it.

You mean he dosent care. Tell me news.

Triumph
17th July 2010, 21:16
Then would it be safe to assume you understood most of it?

Yes, I'll explain it to you if you're finding it a bit of a challenge.

ioan
18th July 2010, 00:00
Yes, I'll explain it to you if you're finding it a bit of a challenge.

:up: :D